• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is anyone else ready for the Rehab Centre

L

lindleyjr9

Hi Guys

First of all to the moderators, although this thread is partly about technical issues, it is a generalization of the frustrations I and I am sure many others are dealing with between TSO and the new EA Land. I would like to know how my fellow simmers are handling the endless road blocks.

My previous post was in regards to EA Support and trying to acquire a monthly time code, a major pain and source of frustration.

OK so now the game is to be improved and we merge into EA Land. I had tried to download the new EA from my original account on TSO. I changed the path to exe patch etc and kept getting You have performed an illegal error and had to uninstall or I couldn't play at all. Then the production cities shut down for the merge.

I decided my old computer probably needed to be upgraded anyway so I went out and bought a new laptop making sure to exceed the system requirements for EA Land. I came home all excited with my new toy with the expectation all my problems would be solved. Not likely LOL Installed my Sim Charter Edition. Got some updates and then kept getting the message to skip the updater. Updated the exe patch etc but could still only skip the updater and go to the now blank choose a city screen which now only shows my former sim names and cities. (getting a little nervous now that I may lose everything or never play again )

I now try to download EA Land from the EA page. Still have problems between the updater install castanet error blah blah blah. Follow all the tips on here and TSO-E: running administrator, making sure the computer user protection wasn't interfering, making sure security protection was off, making sure directx was installed. You name it I have tried it. I sometimes have reached the download for 934 MB but it seems to stop at about 7.9 MB. I have woke up in the middle of the night thinking the servers wouldn't be as busy, tried then and that hasn't worked either.

So now I decide it must be my modem which is 3 years old. I contact my service provider and order the best wireless modem they have. And again I am excited as I follow the steps to set it up when it arrives. And guess what. Still no EA Land!!!!!

Although I needed to upgrade my computer anyway, a major reason was to continue playing TSO - EA Land I am not very computer literate and have spent hours reading and following tips. I am now considering hiring a computer geek to see if he can do anything. The kicker is, any day now I will be receiving my 7 day expiration notice and probably have to spend two weeks trying to get a time code via Paypal when I can't even play. LOL

I have an excuse. I am addicted and a bit crazy. And yes, if I don't get to play soon, I will have to hit rehab. Should it really be this hard.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE HANDLING IT. GIVE ME SOME TIPS BEFORE I GO OVER THE EDGE!!!!!!

A devoted player

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Wonder if pre-paid credit cards could be used to pay the EAland subscription fees?

My son has a pre-paid card that I place his allowance on each month. He pays his TT and POTC accounts with it and has never had a problem.

(Rehab? I say No, No, No!!! )

L

lindleyjr9

Not sure Dutch but pre-paid cards arethe least of my issues. L OL

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Not sure Dutch but pre-paid cards arethe least of my issues. L OL

[/ QUOTE ]

You mentioned about pay pal...You didn't specify which part of your post you wanted suggestions on....I made a suggestion....

Sorry to have bothered you since that's not the area you were referring you wanted suggestions on.

Personally, I have found I have better and more successfully downloads around 4:00 am est. Major Ealand installations need to be reserved for 'low peak' times. Trying to update during peak time can just lead to frustration...especially after a major updates.

When all else fails...it could actually be some other software on your computer causing installation problems. Your computer manufacturer should know what you have installed on your machine. Just because you don't see it in the sys tray doesn't mean it's not causing problems. I called HP...they had me look at a couple of places and turned out to be something as simple as use the 'Run as Administrator' trick.

I

imported_CherryBomb

I use a debit card to pay. It works just fine.

CherryBomb

I

imported_MattelMichele

Taking deep breaths and a never give up attitude. Even when i have to verfiy &amp; download fifty million times in one day (overexagerated - i know), or that mofo avatar leasing happens. I still try, and try....and try.

Why do i put myself through so much agony? It's gotta be because i really do enjoy the game, the people, and especially the friends i have made in TSO.

Sometimes i just have to walk away, lest i feel the urge to moan &amp; cuss here on the stratics boards

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Taking deep breaths and a never give up attitude. Even when i have to verfiy &amp; download fifty million times in one day (overexagerated - i know), or that mofo avatar leasing happens. I still try, and try....and try.

Why do i put myself through so much agony? It's gotta be because i really do enjoy the game, the people, and especially the friends i have made in TSO.

Sometimes i just have to walk away, lest i feel the urge to moan &amp; cuss here on the stratics boards

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh heck, I never moan over it....now cussing is a different story though.

Sometimes if I can't get on the game....I just come here and hang out with the others that can't get on either. It makes a difference when you aren't in the boat alone you know.

G

Is your windows firewall running? I don't know if the 2 are related or if it was just luck, but I was getting that castanet error when trying to download and I added the EA Land exe file that I downloaded from the EA Land site to the list of exceptions and the error went away.

I

imported_MattelMichele

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes if I can't get on the game....I just come here and hang out with the others that can't get on either. It makes a difference when you aren't in the boat alone you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

So very true

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Is your windows firewall running? I don't know if the 2 are related or if it was just luck, but I was getting that castanet error when trying to download and I added the EA Land exe file that I downloaded from the EA Land site to the list of exceptions and the error went away.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are running vista and only have one user on your computer is where the 'Run as Administrator' comes in. I used to have 2 users set up and would 'update' or download on the master which was also known to my computer as the 'administrator'. Now that I only have 1 user, I have to tell it that I am the 'administrator' in order for it to download from certain sites like EAland.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

I have a laptop that I purchased for travel -- it is lightweight, runs all the programs I need for working on the go, but is below the standards needed for 3D gaming and, apparently, will soon be inadequate to run EA Land next generation graphics. That last bit is the bad news. The good news, which I mention only to add perspective to the tech problems I've read on these boards, is that I have not had one single mishap or glitch in playing (so far). I never experienced lag, I have had no problems entering the game or patching.

I know it is dumb luck on my part. I still use the original old shortcut to tso client so I can run multiple accounts -- the same shortcut I've had for over four years. There must be a big component of software problems in all these horrible glitches. Best of luck getting the game to run. Think of me when you get to the improved graphic stages in the future, while I am sittlng back limited to POGO.

G

I definately understand the frustration of your post... it is so annoying to fix something only to have something else stop you from playing. It took me 3 days to finally get in game, so I hope that you are able to get in soon!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hi Guys

First of all to the moderators, although this thread is partly about technical issues, it is a generalization of the frustrations I and I am sure many others are dealing with between TSO and the new EA Land. I would like to know how my fellow simmers are handling the endless road blocks.

My previous post was in regards to EA Support and trying to acquire a monthly time code, a major pain and source of frustration.

OK so now the game is to be improved and we merge into EA Land. I had tried to download the new EA from my original account on TSO. I changed the path to exe patch etc and kept getting You have performed an illegal error and had to uninstall or I couldn't play at all. Then the production cities shut down for the merge.

I decided my old computer probably needed to be upgraded anyway so I went out and bought a new laptop making sure to exceed the system requirements for EA Land. I came home all excited with my new toy with the expectation all my problems would be solved. Not likely LOL Installed my Sim Charter Edition. Got some updates and then kept getting the message to skip the updater. Updated the exe patch etc but could still only skip the updater and go to the now blank choose a city screen which now only shows my former sim names and cities. (getting a little nervous now that I may lose everything or never play again )

I now try to download EA Land from the EA page. Still have problems between the updater install castanet error blah blah blah. Follow all the tips on here and TSO-E: running administrator, making sure the computer user protection wasn't interfering, making sure security protection was off, making sure directx was installed. You name it I have tried it. I sometimes have reached the download for 934 MB but it seems to stop at about 7.9 MB. I have woke up in the middle of the night thinking the servers wouldn't be as busy, tried then and that hasn't worked either.

So now I decide it must be my modem which is 3 years old. I contact my service provider and order the best wireless modem they have. And again I am excited as I follow the steps to set it up when it arrives. And guess what. Still no EA Land!!!!!

Although I needed to upgrade my computer anyway, a major reason was to continue playing TSO - EA Land I am not very computer literate and have spent hours reading and following tips. I am now considering hiring a computer geek to see if he can do anything. The kicker is, any day now I will be receiving my 7 day expiration notice and probably have to spend two weeks trying to get a time code via Paypal when I can't even play. LOL

I have an excuse. I am addicted and a bit crazy. And yes, if I don't get to play soon, I will have to hit rehab. Should it really be this hard.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE HANDLING IT. GIVE ME SOME TIPS BEFORE I GO OVER THE EDGE!!!!!!

A devoted player

[/ QUOTE ]
IM Lee Fancey - he is very good at helping players sort out their issues.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

LMAO...you make Lee sound like Dr. Phil.

Maybe we should be referring to him as Dr. Fancy?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]There's something strangely therapeutic about sitting back and uttering a long, loud, well-composed string of obscenities that would make sailors blush -- so long as the kids aren't around!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]There's something strangely therapeutic about sitting back and uttering a long, loud, well-composed string of obscenities that would make sailors blush -- so long as the kids aren't around!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....I once had a friend who forgot that last part....never even occured to her, until her 2 and a half year old's first word was the f-bomb with a long drawn out 'u'.......
indeed. LOL

That does bring to mind a question though Katheryne since you are in fact in the Navy (right?). *Do* sailors actually blush at that kind of stuff?

*cough* OK, so that was a little OT, but it's her fault!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

My 16 year old overheard one of mine recently.

He said..."Mom....say that again and add a fart at the end and you'll be in business". According to him, passing gas when in a huff is very therapeutic.

G

<blockquote><hr>

He said..."Mom....say that again and add a fart at the end and you'll be in business". According to him, passing gas when in a huff is very therapeutic.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL!!!!!! I gotta meet this kid, he sounds like a riot....does he play the game?

G

<blockquote><hr>

That does bring to mind a question though Katheryne since you are in fact in the Navy (right?). *Do* sailors actually blush at that kind of stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]Was (now retired). And, yes - it happens. It's very rare, but it does happen (mostly with the newer squids). Still, if you manage to make one blush, then you've raised the bar.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL!!!!!! I gotta meet this kid, he sounds like a riot....does he play the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

He used to play a lot but has gone on to bigger and better games. Some people in MF might vaguely remember Mark Martin. His sim is still in game but pretty much just a lot sitter now.