• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is anyone else freezing or losing connection?

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the past 5 days, I've been having troubles with my character freezing for 20-30 seconds. Other times, I completely lose connection. This is happening at least 4 times/hour. I'm not running UOAssist or a 2nd account so that's not it. I don't think it's my internet since I can still message on ICQ while I'm frozen or losing connection. Anyone else having this problem? I'm trying to troubleshoot before I call my internet carrier and raise heck. Thank you for any replies.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Reminds me of a time a few years back where I raised heck with a gaming company over this same issue. I did have my cable checked out and when he took the coax off the out side of the house water came out of it ;) After they ran me some new lines my connection was amazing :) I only had a problem when gaming.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Which client? I wonder why people bring up UOAssist before they say what client their using. Any other issues when it happens to UO?

Usually, when this happens to me, I unplug my modem and wireless router. Then I plug it back in after 30 or so seconds. After it all comes back up I usually get a bit of time from it. There are a lot of variables for the issue you're having. Are you able to open a website when you lose connection? Did any other device in the house lose connection? Are you on a wired connection? Which client are you using? How old is your wireless router? I'd call them first.. Modems never seem to be the issue for me.

Reminds me of a time a few years back where I raised heck with a gaming company over this same issue. I did have my cable checked out and when he took the coax off the out side of the house water came out of it ;) After they ran me some new lines my connection was amazing :) I only had a problem when gaming.
In apartment complexes the cable wires they have running around are some of the messiest things you'll see in your life.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Which client? I wonder why people bring up UOAssist before they say what client their using. Any other issues when it happens to UO?

Usually, when this happens to me, I unplug my modem and wireless router. Then I plug it back in after 30 or so seconds. After it all comes back up I usually get a bit of time from it. There are a lot of variables for the issue you're having. Are you able to open a website when you lose connection? Did any other device in the house lose connection? Are you on a wired connection? Which client are you using? How old is your wireless router? I'd call them first.. Modems never seem to be the issue for me.

In apartment complexes the cable wires they have running around are some of the messiest things you'll see in your life.
The guy that did my replacement left the cables hanging all over in the basement. On his way out he tossed me a handful of cable hangers and said inside the house was my responsibility. Comcast. He'd been there a long time and was probably running behind so I let it go. They replaced all the lines and drop for free. I know if I would have complained about it they would have sent someone else out but it wasn't a big deal to me. I was tempted to ask why he replaced the lines then? The guy wasn't real professional. He kept noticing stuff I had asking if that was expensive lol. I think he was half casing the place :p I hate Comcast but when it's working right it really works great. They have a high limit on internet usage so I stream the heck outta everything on the TV.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My computer is also freezing. I took a look at the windows update, it is working on a big patch. It uses up a lot of bandwidth and CPU.

Mama Faith

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm using the Classic Client. Our lines were checked about 2 mos. ago and they were all fine. My router is a Netgear AC1750 and only a year old. While the cable guy was here, I had him check our modem and again, it was working very well. I'm going to try resetting everything and part of me is wondering if it's the newest Windows 10 updates. The problems seemed to start after that. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm using the Classic Client. Our lines were checked about 2 mos. ago and they were all fine. My router is a Netgear AC1750 and only a year old. While the cable guy was here, I had him check our modem and again, it was working very well. I'm going to try resetting everything and part of me is wondering if it's the newest Windows 10 updates. The problems seemed to start after that. Thank you all for your suggestions.
Another time I had a problem I was pulling my hair out. I checked all the connections and one screw on type was ready to fall off. I guess from moving the router around to dust. Another time my monitor went wacky and it had a ton of little holes in the cable where the kitten had been chewing the heck out it lol. I'd say follow the line real well just to make sure it's all good :)

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't use Classic client, so can't help there. EC was freezing and crashing on me a lot, but I changed a memory cache option in the settings and it hasn't crashed since unless I'm just being a booger to my PC and running so much stuff.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The guy that did my replacement left the cables hanging all over in the basement. On his way out he tossed me a handful of cable hangers and said inside the house was my responsibility. Comcast. He'd been there a long time and was probably running behind so I let it go. They replaced all the lines and drop for free. I know if I would have complained about it they would have sent someone else out but it wasn't a big deal to me. I was tempted to ask why he replaced the lines then? The guy wasn't real professional. He kept noticing stuff I had asking if that was expensive lol. I think he was half casing the place :p I hate Comcast but when it's working right it really works great. They have a high limit on internet usage so I stream the heck outta everything on the TV.
Was it a third party or actual Comcast guy? I have better luck with the actual Comcast workers. The third party ones they sometimes send are definitely bitter IMO.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Was it a third party or actual Comcast guy? I have better luck with the actual Comcast workers. The third party ones they sometimes send are definitely bitter IMO.
I think he was the real deal. He had the truck and all that. He ended up changing every cable from the pole to the router and tv boxes and adding a new line to another room. Then he added the new powered line splitter in the basement too. So it just put him way behind. It was cool, he did a lot of stuff, and now everything is excellent. I had forgot how good the TV picture was suppose to look :p We have the voice activated remote and all new equipment now and it's fun stuff to play with. I got upgraded to the new Xfinity system and all that, he originally showed up just to check the line :p But he was like the 3rd guy to show up here for the same problem and he was gonna handle it :p He said he was gonna change the router, cable boxes and all that cause they were ancient so I just went with the new system while we were at it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Try running a speedtest watch it and see how bad it fluctuates.. if it's real bad you may have some issues with your lines.

Though of late I'll say all I do is crash every few min.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything is good on my end but probably 75% of the time when I first long in I get to take about 3 steps freeze for 20-30 seconds and get the *Connection Lost* log back in and everything goes smooth and fast and then sometime in the next 30-60 minutes I will freeze for 20-30 seconds and get the *Connection Lost* again. Ping is great, speed test is fast and stable, ample memory. NO lag at all prior to the freeze, Funny thing is chat keeps working during the freeze portion.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have some problems too, not sure it is the Windows 10 updates tho, fairly sure it isnt

*runs Vista still*

:gee:

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not experiencing this problem right now.
Are you wired or wifi? I have had wifi problems in the past with too many of my neighbors using the same channel.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Because I am over the other side of the world in Australia my latency never sees green on Atlantic. It's crazy when I play in Classic Client its unbearable but in Enhanced Client it becomes a lot more steady.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I can remember dreading every Windows iteration. Windows 10 though is by far one that I still dislike even after using it for a while. "Windows", but it's less easy to actually make your windows a good size. And that snapping feature some have where it snaps to a side or size. Among other complaints... Edge? Amiright?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's a way to turn off that snapping. I don't remember how. I have it turned off. There's also a way to turn off "tap to click" for the mousepad -- but you have to turn it off every time Windows does an update. I'm using a USB mouse now.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ive been losing con too/crash using cc. mostly been happening when trading an item. occurring the last week or 2, its been like 6 or 7 months since any problem before this. windows 10