• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] is anatomy still valid as defensive??

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the formula was eval+anatomy+20/2 right?
but i took my gm wrestling off my mage and added gm anat.. witch should be better then what i had before..

115 eval + 100 anat + 20 = 235/2 = 117.50

but, i seem to be getting hit MORE :(

spells being disrupted alot.. cant even cast poison to cure myself. :(

any ideas?

G

GFY

the formula was eval+anatomy+20/2 right?
but i took my gm wrestling off my mage and added gm anat.. witch should be better then what i had before..

115 eval + 100 anat + 20 = 235/2 = 117.50

but, i seem to be getting hit MORE :(

spells being disrupted alot.. cant even cast poison to cure myself. :(

any ideas?
Ideas;

1) Cast protection. You'll cast slower but your spells will go off unless you try to cast a held spell while paralyzed.

2) Cast smaller spells. Spells that take a long time to cast have a much higher chance of being interrupted. In stead of casting a greater heal cast 2-3 heals.

3) If your being interrupted by taking physical damage from monsters, in stead of spell damage, try adding some DCI to your armor.

4) Put wrestling back on. If you were doing better before... switch back!

K

Kimball

I have a mage that holds a boomstick for 100%lrc on my suit. Would it be better to attempt to get mace skill to gm or anat to gm for defense? I was just kicking the idea around on some options as I have been playing the template. I just put necro and ss on him to try the necro/mage thing and am concerned about defense.

G

GFY

I have a mage that holds a boomstick for 100%lrc on my suit. Would it be better to attempt to get mace skill to gm or anat to gm for defense? I was just kicking the idea around on some options as I have been playing the template. I just put necro and ss on him to try the necro/mage thing and am concerned about defense.
The Boomstick is NOT a mage weapon it's a mace weapon. This means your using your mace skill for your defense. (0 mace skill = 0 defense skill) I used this on my tamer/mage for the LRC as well, the problem was that anything standing next to me hit me almost automatically. Not a BIG problem since my pets do most of the fighting, but if I get swarmed by even small spawn I'm usually dead meat.

Some of the most popular mage weapons are swords or prosperity and staff of the magi, & staff of pyros. These are -0 mage weapons, so they use your magery as your defensive skill with no point loss.

Some mages like to go with a 1 handed weapon so they can still chug potions. Most 1 handed weapons have some - skill so you'll need to add some items with + magery to offset this.

Lastly you could add wrestling as your defensive skill. This will allow you to use the 2 wrestling specials also. (Tactics is NOT needed for wrestling specials.)

K

Kimball

I realize it is not a mage weapon. I also carry a staff of pyros if I think I will need the defense, but then I'm not 100LRC. What I am wondering is if it would be a better defense to go with macing (a mace weapon) or anat (with eval). Is there a difference between the defense of the two? Also if I am holding a weapon does wrestling still defend me? I would have figured I would need to either have hands free or be holding a book.

G

GFY

I realize it is not a mage weapon. I also carry a staff of pyros if I think I will need the defense, but then I'm not 100LRC. What I am wondering is if it would be a better defense to go with macing (a mace weapon) or anat (with eval). Is there a difference between the defense of the two? Also if I am holding a weapon does wrestling still defend me? I would have figured I would need to either have hands free or be holding a book.
If you have the room on your template and your really in love with the Boomstick, add macing. Remember though an ornament of the magician has +20 LRC as well. You could also carry regs.

Holding any weapon will cancel out wrestling.

I haven't tried anatomy/eval but people I know who have usually switch to wrestling. They say it works better.

S

Splup

Eval anatomy works fine. Been using it for long time. I'm using 120 eval + 80 anatomy.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like it if a dev confirmed that the Anat/Eval still works instead of wrestling..

C

Chaosy

It works. I have a friend who uses it to this day.

However, if you're going to pour 80 points into anatomy in the first place, I would try to squeeze 40 in just for the wrestling anyway. The two specials are worth it, IMO.