Is 120 vet worth it?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
E

eekamouse

I am currently at 100 Veterinary skill?

Will I notice the amount of damage healed as much more significant, if I take Vet to 120?

P

Prudentis

It's not more than simple mathematics

Min_Healed=(lore / 5) + (vet / 5) + 3
Max_Healed=(lore / 5) + (vet / 2) + 10

lore @100
vet @100:
Min_Healed=43
Max_Healed=80
Average_Healed/bandage=61.5

lore @120
vet @100:
Min_Healed=47
Max_Healed=84
Average_Healed/bandage=67

lore @120
vet @120:
Min_Healed=51
Max_Healed=94
Average_Healed/bandage=72.5

So will you notice the round 15% increase in healing power from 100/100 to 120/120?
Or are we talking about 120 lore? Than the increase is about 8%.

IMO depending on what pets you heal and in which situations, 15% or even 8% healing power increase is not too bad.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
<blockquote><hr>

It's not more than simple mathematics

Min_Healed=(lore / 5) + (vet / 5) + 3
Max_Healed=(lore / 5) + (vet / 2) + 10

lore @100
vet @100:
Min_Healed=43
Max_Healed=80
Average_Healed/bandage=61.5

lore @120
vet @100:
Min_Healed=47
Max_Healed=84
Average_Healed/bandage=67

lore @120
vet @120:
Min_Healed=51
Max_Healed=94
Average_Healed/bandage=72.5

So will you notice the round 15% increase in healing power from 100/100 to 120/120?

IMO depending on what pets you heal and in which situations, 15% or even 8% healing power increase is not too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the extra stable slot.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
There's more to the story though than those simple equations. In many very high end situations, you won't be able to stay close enough to your pet to vet her. A lot of high end mobs have area of effect damage, so if you are vetting, they will switch targets to you. In those situations 120 magery and 120 meditation will be more useful than 120 vet.

And then there is yet another factor as well. At gm vet, as opposed to 120 vet, you will probably still have some failed healing attempts on your pet, if your pet is heavily damaged, which could spell the difference between a dead and living pet.

What you really need to do is think about how you are going to use your pets, and what the rest of your template is going to be, to see what you have room for. You will have to make some sacrifices, no matter what your decision may be.

I dropped my vet from 110 to 100, so I could add 10 more in med. I think for my template, that was a good decision. I'd love to have 120 vet, but I had to make choices and set priorities, and the vet seemed like the one that I could stand to lose a bit on. I still don't have many problems with failed rezzes, and I haven't lost a pet that I was vetting yet since I made that decision, but I realize that could potentially happen.

Stable slots are an issue, but I've managed to keep control of my urges to horde pets, and so even in losing a slot, I still have a couple free. I could also always drop my beautiful old dragon if I needed to, although that is something I don't want to do...

P

Prudentis

Failed plain healing with GM Vet? I didn't even know that was possible sinsce I never ever fail a heal attempt, not even cure poison and I'm only slightly over GM on my tamer.

And of course you are right. Vet is much more important when fighting non switching monsters but I think even against high level paragons, a well timed vet (after all it's just 2 sec) with a closely followed invis and self heal may sometimes make a difference. In such situations, the 8-15% difference is even more important. I don't consider the stable slots important. After all you can always use jewelry to get those slots. And waseting 20 skill points for two stable slots doesn't seem wise.
But since my tamplete isn't very tight, I can afford both, legendary vet and magery+meditation (once I find those scrolls).
If I had to decide between legendary mag/med and lore/vet I'd probably still take mag/med.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
<blockquote><hr>

Failed plain healing with GM Vet? I didn't even know that was possible sinsce I never ever fail a heal attempt, not even cure poison and I'm only slightly over GM on my tamer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I may be wrong about this. I just seem to remember experiencing that if you are very very low in health, it is possible to fail heals at levels where you would never fail a cure poison, and it is quite possible that it could happen and you wouldn't even notice it. You don't get any failure messages with vetting like you do with healing, and even on a fail you will heal some damage, it just won't be very much. But I could be wrong, I've never done any objective testing. If you can't fail a heal at gm, then that makes having higher vet even less significant.

I

imported_Sarphus

I like having 120 vet on my mainline tamers.

110 or even 100 vet is plenty for a lot of tamers, though.

With 120 vet and decent magery, you can effectively tank a dark father with a rune beetle. I don't think you could pull that off with lower vet.

E

eekamouse

Thanks for the insight.

Yes, once of the things I was worried about was the AE effect.

Currently my tamer template is headed towards the following:

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Magery
120 Meditation
105-120 Spellweaving

Everything is up to that level currently, except for Taming and Vet. Taming will most likely stay around 100 and I'll use jewlery to push it up over 115, and then I will use the extra points to move Spellweaving. Gift of Renewal has been helpful in tanking Miasma and other higher end creatures.

Just wondering if 120/110 Vet/SW is better or 110/120.

J

joblackjon

If you Vet with the enhanced yellow bandages you get 10 extra skill points in Vet. That means you can free-up 10 Vet skill points for another skill. I have 12 of those Fountains cranking out enhanced bandies and might get more!

I

imported_Tina Small

I have gotten the message that a bandage slipped while vetting a pet while my character was being attacked and losing health. So yes, it can happen.

I usually go with about 105 to 110 vet skill on my peace tamers and 85-90 vet skill on my tracker tamers that are in factions. (They rarely have to vet pets much once their pets are trained up and vet skill at that point's mostly just for rezzing pets.)

I

imported_onthefifty

<blockquote><hr>

If you Vet with the enhanced yellow bandages you get 10 extra skill points in Vet. That means you can free-up 10 Vet skill points for another skill. I have 12 of those Fountains cranking out enhanced bandies and might get more!

[/ QUOTE ]

is this true? it was my understanding that enhanced bandages donot work on pets.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
<blockquote><hr>

I have gotten the message that a bandage slipped while vetting a pet while my character was being attacked and losing health.

[/ QUOTE ]
The bandage slipping messages and failed heals are two different things. You are correct, you sometimes get bandage slipping messages when you are taking damage while trying to heal or vet, but failed heals happen with healing when you get the message that you apply the bandages, but they fail to help much (don't remember the exact wording).

With bandage slipping messages, I don't think it affects how much damage you heal, it just adds to the heal time. With heal fails you heal some damage, but nowhere near as much as you would when you don't fail. The more damage (I think in terms of a percentage of it's total health) your target has taken, the higher the chance for failed heal, and I think if your pet is down to 1% - 5% health, you can even fail a heal at gm healing.

But again, I'm not certain of this.

G

I find 120.0 Vet quite worthless and a waste of skillpoints other than the extra stable slot. When i gained from 110.0 - 120.0 Lore, i saw a noticeable difference in the amount of damage i healed. When i put on my +15 Vet/100 Luck/4% DCI/19% Dam Inc/4% Cold Resist Ring and my +1 Vet/100 Luck/FCR 1/12% LRC/7% Cold Resist Bracelet, which takes me from GM - 116.0 Vet, i don't really notice a difference in damage healed at all. At GM Vet, i seem to have a 100% Success Rate at curing DP or Lethal. Only difference between GM and 120.0 Vet that i see is success rate at rezzing, which isn't always a good thing. Applying a bandy right when your pet dies and you have a 100% Success Rate at 120.0 Vet is a bad thing, leads to rez kills of your pet.
Doesn't matter what you're Vet skill is, if you are hit while applying a bandage to your pet, no matter how little damage it does to you, it still disrupts the Bandage, making you heal less.
Only thing i see over GM Vet useful for is an extra Stable Slot, which my Luck Ring takes care of that.