• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Is 0.1 skill a chance or guarantee to receive a BOD offer from NPC?

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO Wiki is a bit vague on this. I tried to get my first alchemy and inscription bods after paying for 0.1 skill on non EJ character. No BOD offered. Upped my payment to 1.0 skill. Still no bod offers shown on the left clicked NPC's gump. So I paid 200+ gold to get higher skill. Again, no offer was visible. Has requirements to receive my first BOD changed? Is there a timer before I can get my first BOD?

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I use 0.1 Alchemy skill to get the lowest level BODs. I have never had a problem. I have been able to get BODs right after I paid and received my 0.1 in Alchemy.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still broken in alchy and scribe BOD offers for me, but I was able to get a blacksmith bod with 30 plus skill.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Make sure you're asking the right NPC.

Alchemists only give Alchemy BODs - not herbalists or Mages.

and ONLY Scribes (such as the ones in the two Britain libraries) give Inscription BODs - not Mages, Holy Mages, Illusionists, Necromancers, Mystics, etc.

The latter bit has what has messed up many people trying to do Inscription BODs. One would THINK that mages (who sell scrolls) would do inscription BODs, but it's actually the scribes (that only sell crafting supplies) that do.

For the various skills:

A. Tailors & Weavers have Tailor BODs - But Tailor Guildmasters don't. At one time there was a push to get Cobblers added to the bod-giver list, but nothing came of it.

B. Blacksmiths (including Guildmasters), Armorers, Weaponsmiths, and Iron Workers (in Ilshenar) have Blacksmith BODs - despite the armorers often only selling leather armor, shields, and female plate, and often being placed with the Tailor NPCs instead of the Smiths.

C. Cooks and Bakers Have Cooking BODs.

D. Fletching BODs only come from the Bowcraft/fletching NPCs, not Archers (though I believe archers can teach the skill)

E. Tinkers (as far as I know) are the only ones for Tinker BODs, though I've not tested the NPCs in Ilshenar. You would think, given the sheer amount of the BODs that are for Jewelry, that jewelers would give the BODs too, but they don't.

F. Carpentry BODs are from Carpenters, of course (and are as poorly designed as the worst aspects of Tinker and Fletcher combined). It would be nice if there were more NPCs (I can't find one in Yew, which logically should have multiple ones).

G. Alchemists are limited as above. They really need to add Herbalists to the mix.

H. Inscription is the "trick" one. You make stuff with the skill that the BOD-giving NPCs DON'T sell, and the ones that sell the completed stuff DON'T give BODs.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't forget about the Lyseum for scribes. You can't hardly take 2 steps without tripping over one. :)
That's where everyone seems to go - I can rarely get more than one bribe at a time off each because that's where everyone thinks when you say "Scribe" because of all the scribe-related events over the last 20 years.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup, Basara you pegged it.... i was trying to deal with an herbalist and mage in Skara mage shop versus conversing with an alchemist and scribe.