• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Invitation to try out Siege Perilous

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Happy New Year everyone

I know a few here hate to see thread like this, pleace, if you have no intention to try out Siege, please move on and let this thread alone :)

Siege Perilous could be a choice:

- If you are looking for a shard with better economy
- If you feel Trammel is to safe and Felucca is to wild and wish to play without the split
- If you can handle the risk for getting attacked and risk to lose your items
- If you want to kill chars, who annoy you instead of using harrassing calls
- If you want to be a part of a community with good and evil having to interact with each others

You can be:
- a succesful crafter/shop owner, with happy customers
- a PvM'er or garthere supporting the crafter/shop owner with resources
- a honorable knight, protection the crafters and PvM'ers
- a thief PvP or non PvP for deco stuff
- a faction player
- a PK
- or anything else

You will have to accept (until we get devs to changes it)
- no kind of recall (gate spell works and moongates and public houses with crystal portals and teleporters helps too)
-only one char slot (Soulstones do help)
- only one house on an account
- risk for PvP everywhere (don't want to changes that :p)

We can offer:
- one months start help in the guild Newborn on Siege 2, [NEW2] (basis items and advices and a place to hangout)
- PK's, who will go easy on you, your first month if you can keep the rules for NEW2 (You stay neutral, do not attack any, defense is ok, do not loot others kill and do not steal from players etc)
- a locked box in a public house and a free vendor your first month
- Bazaar venders, who will buy your stackable stuff, as npc vendors won't.
- A great community

If you want to give it a try:
- Make a char on Siege Perilous, if you are still "Young", you will have to wait or cancel your young status before you can see the shard on the list
- Join General Chat
- Ask for a NEW2 leader in gen chat. Feel free to hang out in our house, "Young Travelers Inn" in New Magincia until you get contact to one of us.

The rules for Siege may be hard to find now so I will try to explain. The ruleset Siege was born with had changed over the years, the one with Green is the one different from normal shard. The gray ones are long gone.

Siege rules

1. No recall, only gate spell works
2. No gating in and out of of dungeon.
3. Only one char on an account
4. NPC vendors take 3X the price for their wares.
5. NPC won't buy your wares and do not sell resources other than regs
6. RoT, Rate over Time skill gain for non resourse using skills.
7. No Trammel facet
8. All facets have the Siege ruleset, much like Fel ruleset, but reds can go to town as long they not attack, however guards do not protect them
9. No item Insurance but one Siege Bless, that works for one items at the time

Rate over Time system On Siege Perilous and Mugen, the RoT (Rate over time) system applies for gaining skill points above 70.
  • Skill points for skills less than 70 points will gain as normal shards.
  • Skill points for skills between 70 and 79.9 points have a time limit of 5 minutes between points gained.
  • Skill points for skills between 80 and 89.9 have a time limit of 8 minutes between points gained.
  • Skill points for skills between 90 and 99.9 have a time limit of 12 minutes between points gained.
  • Skill points for skills between 100 and 120 have a time limit of 15 minutes between points gained.
  • Players will be allowed to gain 15 stat points a day. For stats only RoT resets once per day, at 8pm EST/1am GMT.

The RoT system actually helps slower skills have better chances at guaranteed gains. With slower skills like poisioning, training it in RoT saves you a lot of time and gold.

See you on UO's veteran shard with non con PvP.

Last edited:

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to agree with Freja. My time to play UO has been very limited as of late (Not at all, actually, with my new job, but my subscription stays open) and the community really is something you should experience. Freja and the other NEW2 leaders do a very nice job helping people get a footing on the server.

Definitely give it a try!

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yup,in my experience,no other shard can even come close to the community that is Siege Perilous. Yes there is the threat of PK`s,but not very much. I love the fact that a crafter is of value and their wares are sought after. I myself made millions just on selling potions and kegs alone.

Great shard. :)

*edit*

Just wanted to add that there is a great guild there (one of many I`m sure) called GIL. Look them up and you will not ever have a day filled with boredom. I have done more champ spawn and more peerless and general bosses there than I have on any other shard with GIL. Even got vent if your so inclined to join the conversation.

I read so much in the past of people trying SP but not finding people. General chat is your friend,plus you need a great guild like GIL.

There are so many people that would help out with gear or gold or whatever one would need to plant some roots on Siege Perilous, one just needs to ask.

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The danger on Siege adds immensely to the game experience. I came to SP from Atlantic years ago and had to start fresh with no skills. The NEW guild helped me get my start. Despite the challenges, or because of them, I stayed.

One can now use Advanced and Mythic tokens to bring skills up to workable levels instantly and with the ROT gain system, be full template by the time you figure out what guild you want to join. Once you get in a guild, getting your skill cap scrolls is easy because Champ Spawns are a regular activity.

As long as you run a blue char you have reasonable safety in the Guard Zones. But if you like to risk it all, all the time, you can go red or join factions and get a fight anywhere, anytime, even in Luna bank.

One huge draw is house placement. The economy dipped here just like in RL and so there are nice places for 18x18s, and even some plots near gates. I found a place for a full Tower, one shadow jump from the Trisic gate last night! I am giving up a Keep for that spot.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately it's an US shard.
1. In the wrong time zone and I'd be playing in off-peak hours...
2. Latency too high...

Haven't checked for years, but I should already have a toon there with several GM'ed skills (back from the time, as ping to my homeshards was even worse than to shards overseas)

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i played seige for a short time, even worked up a fully skilled mage. it got really boring. i could never find people unless they were a stealther. As for good economy..what good economy... Siege has as much of an economy as antarctic.

I hate to be the party pooper, and i admire the siege players general love for their shard, but i just don't see it. i like the concepts of fel rulesets, albiet i wish they didn't have so many land masses.

I could start up this same thread for any shard except atlantic, as most all shards are ghost towns except atlantic. I've moved almost everything i have to the only place that has people... and pvp for that matter. I'd rather not spend 30minutes just searching for someone in fel, to only be disappointed.

Last edited:
T

Tazar

I never had any trouble with the Siege Economy... prices are reasonable - items/vendors are usually found just by asking in general chat.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Unfortunately it's an US shard.
1. In the wrong time zone and I'd be playing in off-peak hours...
2. Latency too high...

Haven't checked for years, but I should already have a toon there with several GM'ed skills (back from the time, as ping to my homeshards was even worse than to shards overseas)
We do have some EU players too :)

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still login once in a blue moon to **** the scripters below bucs.. and even as the years pass on.. I still have no problem finding one.. mining.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I still login once in a blue moon to **** the scripters below bucs.. and even as the years pass on.. I still have no problem finding one.. mining.
I try to solve that, with getting more players but devs need to help, with making metal armor useful again

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These are his stats:

Code:
Fencing    100.0
Tactics    100.0
Parrying    89.8
Anatomy     87.6
Hiding      70.3
Healing     66.9
Med         58.6
MagRes      50.0
Focus       40.7
Ninjitsu    31.1
Stealth     25.0
Str         90
Dex         65
Int         73
But to be honest, times have changed. Back then I had noob chars and I didn't mind RoT, because the gap between my normal shard chars and siege char were negligible. Today I have some powerful chars on DF & Europe. And when creating a new one, I usually do some serious training to get him up fast, because the times are over, where I enjoyed beating skeleton knights or some other cannon fodder. So, yes, RoT pretty discourages me as of today.

Besides, as I began with UO i was interested in PvP, for years I have done nothing nor am I interested anymore (except a nice steal and then run & hide, but not fighting back, if get caught). I don't even do fel champ spawns, because usually I get killed at lev.4 or at least before I can kill the champ.

So why bother with siege?

But thanks for the invitation. I'm pretty sure you've got a nice community over there. But that's something I have on my two home shards too...

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I will never join Siege - but I like the OP as is breathes so much love and devotion for your shard! Thumbs up! I would talk of DF in the same emotional manner!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
So why bother with siege?

But thanks for the invitation. I'm pretty sure you've got a nice community over there. But that's something I have on my two home shards too...
Sure times had changed and so had Siege. RoT is much faster now and without daily cap. The warrior PS is not that expensive
If you are happy on your homeshards, that's great.
You could always make a thief on Siege if you get bored :p

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This siege must be a new shard. I logged in and ran around for 1 hr and saw no one. Was it opened today?
Its no ones fault you weren`t serious about being on Siege,otherwise if you were you would have seeked out a guild like many have already stated. There you would have found plenty of people to hang with.

But thanks for checkin it out ;)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know everytime I'm there I've never hardly seen one soul...

I hear them in Gen Chat and oft times it's as bad or worse than the Gen Chat on GL..... with the posturing, name calling, come kill me here, go kill them there... I need this, I want that,..... Without a house or crafter or anything it's really rather a pain. And listening to "Go kill all the noobs by XYZ" ... makes one feel REAL welcome. As a "noob" on the shard it would really suck to be trying to do anything there and get killed by a bunch of folk with nothing better to do than come kill someone with zero skill. As someone with some skill there I can't see that it would be too "exciting" to one hit kill "noobs".

Zynia

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ill follow some semi-negativity with some positives. I have logged in Siege not very often. I have a character there, with a horrible name, but she has neon hair. I made her some odd ten or more years ago... I logged in recently just getting my usual holiday gift like I do everytime. But this time a girl approached me and had asked if I played, I sadly replied I didn't. She said YOU SHOULD! I've debated playing there for a while, but I honestly couldn't pick just one template to play. And my love for Great Lakes is far too great to ever part permanantly. The friendships and people you've played with over the years, those relationships mean the world to me.

Maybe I will perhaps try and play there a little more though. That one positive experience was really awesome, and even though it's been months, it still is on my mind! Good luck with your recruiting though..

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it had a strong RP community I'd be all over that invite. Sad to say not sure any of the shards rp communities are thriving as they once were.

Good Grief

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
if you have no intention to try out Siege, please move on and let this thread alone
How about those of us who played Seige for several years before throwing in the towel on that dead, non-maintained shard?

Can we give our 2 cents to warn anyone even thinking about wasting their time to move there to not bother?

Seige would be great if there was no AoS on it. If it was essentially a pre-Tram shard then it would be much better. But the half-assed combination of Pre and Post AoS doesn't work well at all.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I vacation in Siege.

The beaches are warm, The community fun and the RP is excellent.

Been awhile since I have traveled the trails of this fair land.

*Packs a bag, gathers his walking staff and a flask of Good Old Moonglow Red.*

I think there is a house in the Abyss that holds an open invitation for me.

Kal Ort Por

*poof*

Last edited:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I vacation in Siege.

The beaches are warm, The community fun and the RP is excellent.

Been awhile since I have traveled the trails of this fair land.

*Packs a bag, gathers his walking staff and a flask of Good Old Moonglow Red.*

I think there is a house in the Abyss that holds an open invitation for me.

Kal Ort Por

*poof*
*starts hiding all his Spirits*

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will have to accept (until we get devs to changes it)
- no kind of recall (gate spell works and moongates and public houses with crystal portals and teleporters helps too)
-only one char slot (Soulstones do help)
- only one house on an account
- risk for PvP everywhere (don't want to changes that :p)
Uhm.. Wth are you talking about? Until we get the DEVS to change it?

- NO RECALL is part of the hard part of Siege
- One character is what makes Siege unique so you can't hide on your other character. People know who you are. If your a PK, you deal with the consequence.
- Only one house. This is standard everywhere. This is not a Siege change, but a UO Change
- PvP everywhere is something that should never change.

I dunno how many mice you have in your pocket, but I suggest you not voice the opinion of everyone and correct that statement. This is not stuff WE want the DEVS to change. This also makes it sound like you want to whine to the DEVs until the issue is resolved. None of these need change. A second house might be good, but nothing else.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If it had a strong RP community I'd be all over that invite. Sad to say not sure any of the shards rp communities are thriving as they once were.
Our largest blue guild is a RP guild, may be most intern RP in the guild. I don't think we have a red RP guild at the moment, but we had had several in the past.
Siege generalt respect roleplayers and remember it takes two to RP and one will have to start.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Rumpy, you right, not all agree with me about recall and one char slots.

I would hate to see recall without a delay, where you can get interrupted if attacked.
About the char slots, I have 5 chars as I can affort 5 accounts, so I could hide if I wanted. I know alot do like playing more than one template, special when we get new skills, we always lose players to normal shards, because they want to test them on old shard and never comes back.

dupapa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thrakker, surprisingly there is ALOT of EU players on siege. .

i started there 6 months ago, its been a total blast.

Freja, you do a fantastic job,

to anyone who is curious, come on over, there are many a people who will get you up and running

Mitzlplik_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
How about those of us who played Seige for several years before throwing in the towel on that dead, non-maintained shard?

Can we give our 2 cents to warn anyone even thinking about wasting their time to move there to not bother?

Seige would be great if there was no AoS on it. If it was essentially a pre-Tram shard then it would be much better. But the half-assed combination of Pre and Post AoS doesn't work well at all FOR ME.
Fixt.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- One character is what makes Siege unique so you can't hide on your other character. People know who you are. If your a PK, you deal with the consequence.
Ok, if you're red, you can't change the fact, that you're a murder, so it's just semi-pointless. But if you're blue, this restriction is completely pointless. First, noone can stop you from owning 50 soulstones, and second, you just need 60 stealing to join the guild, so you can effectively change your name for 2 hours.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been playing on Siege for a couple of days now. I have seen exactly one other person and they ran away as fast as they could. Like I could ever kill anyone LOL, well in game I couldn't kill anyone. Recall is annoying, I have 10 accounts so could have 10 toons on siege so the restriction is really pointless as most people I know have multiple accounts. Soul stones also defeat the point. I have not decided if I am going to invest time in playing siege full time but if I do I will just buy 10-15 stones. I have always liked the seige ruleset except for things like recall. Put a 5 second delay on it and all would be good, If you can't kill me in 5 seconds you are a truly epic failure as a PvP. Still deciding if I will drop one of my houses to put on on siege but am seriously considering it. Now that I finally have a full spell book. I am finding its near impossible to be a miner/smith without a house at a decent mining location. They put a trash box by the Brit Mountain but not a forge LOL. Have not had time to walk around every mining spot but guessing making me run long distances to smelt is part of the hard part as well.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last night Mesanna said that they were going to allow you to own a house on Siege AND one on a production shard. So they are trying to repopulate siege.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I like the challenge and consequence for decisions made on Siege. Good stuff.

You are forced to be much more strategic with your moves and plays

Last edited:
T

Tazar

I missed the announcement last night - but from guildmates - it sounds like you can keep your only house on Siege or production shard with no problem - but if you place the 2nd house on Siege, then the old housing rules requiring refreshing will apply... so I don't think Siege will turn into a wasteland of empty houses.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only other info she gave was that the Seige house would have to be refreshed or would decay. Just like the olden days.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Now that I finally have a full spell book. I am finding its near impossible to be a miner/smith without a house at a decent mining location. They put a trash box by the Brit Mountain but not a forge LOL. Have not had time to walk around every mining spot but guessing making me run long distances to smelt is part of the hard part as well.
Join NEW2, we have a nice mining house and there is teleporter and crystal portal to town, just be careful with the Dark Wisps

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh in it's hey day it was glorious. Whole guilds of RPer's that PVPed. The orcs who were all red and had a house near the orc for by Yew. The red Guardians of the Undead Lords who lived on Dagger "Ice" Island and protected the Liches who resided within Deciet. The True Britanian Heros who lived by a code and would not break it. A mongbat (long before there was even a costume) named pikkle with a longing for a strange brew called Tussin. Sadly it all went away which is why I relocated to Pacific. A PVP server where you cannot find anyone to PVP is no PVP server at all.

The pleas to come play Siege seem to pop up as much as "can we get an old school server" threads that are locked, but if an idea is put forward that you don't like, or someone points out how dead the server is they claim the population is fine and healthy. It can't be both ways.

Perhaps the campaign they should start is getting the people of Seige to "Just say NO to Hiding/Stealthing 24/7!"

Lady Raja

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
So have one house on Siege Perilous that does not need to be refreshed and place another on Siege Perilous that needs to be refreshed?

Hmm...

How about main house on Siege Perilous and a refresh house on Mugen? Or even a main house on Siege Perilous and a refresh house on a Prodo Shard?

:mylittlepony: Thanks!

T

Tazar

So have one house on Siege Perilous that does not need to be refreshed and place another on Siege Perilous that needs to be refreshed?

Hmm...

How about main house on Siege Perilous and a refresh house on Mugen? Or even a main house on Siege Perilous and a refresh house on a Prodo Shard?

No... I don't think this will let you place 2 on Siege... it is intended to let you have a house on a production shard - and also a house on Siege.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mugen is a Japanese shard that has the same ruleset as Siege has. However, it has more landmass for placing houses and visiting dungeons, than Siege does as it happens to also have a "Trammel" facet. Although that extra facet is called "Trammel," that area is still subject to the Siege ruleset like the rest of the shard. So, just as an example, if you start a character there in New Haven, you might see a murderer standing at the bank, your character can still be killed by another player-character outside New Haven's guard zone, walking through monsters and other characters uses stamina, you can't buy skill training from NPCs, some items such as cloth and bandages aren't available from NPCs, and most purchases from NPCs cost 3 times what they cost on other shards, etc.
OMG!!! If you can make there you can make it anywhere.

Last edited:

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I look forward to seeing more people at least trying siege if the housing thing happens.

Don't listen to the grumpy folks in this thread who run around siege once every year and claimed to know how the shard is. Try siege for awhile and you might just start to like us.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
THanks Freja but I avoid the whole guild scene, I should have enough gold to place a house soon and am actually kind of enjoying living out of a bank again. I did drop my house on GL and am going to place somewhere good for mining, and resource collecting on siege. Even though I am a anti social type, I will make the house public and let you know where it is so people can use use if they want. Have never been in a guild but have been friends with many guilds. As far as Reds at best they will get a little ore or ignots and some junk armor. Just hope they don't kill my bug pet rez's are a PITA to get.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Freja, I think your enthusiasm for your shard is commendable. I did create a character there once (an aspiring crafter). When the first person I encountered, at the bank no less, dispatched me promptly without so much as a how-do-you-do (and rez-killed me immediately after), I decided Siege wasn't for me.

Still, I sincerely hope the Devs will do what they can to make Siege a bit more inviting to those who wish to try it.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

Hmm...

I believe it would be great if players could choose to refreah their old normal shard house. Many have hard with letting it go, this way, it will solve it self if they stop using it and it will give them time to get rid of their items there.
Then if Siege not was them, they can place a new on normal start or if they have a refresh one there, make it to primary and refresh the Siege one until they forget it and it poof.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
OMG!!! If you can make there you can make it anywhere.
It's really not so difficult as it sounds, it just give you a little more challenge.
You need to sell to players instead of npc's, the Bazaar vendors help alot here.
The murderes are not all devils, som of them will be ready with advices and help for your new char, even when they may kill you first to say hello and make your heart run fast.
We hsve Dark Wisps roaming the Felucca facet, they kill alot more new chars than murderes do.

Last edited: