• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Internet Problems

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay I'm trying to identify my problem so I can tell my cable company what is wrong.

When I first got this internet it ran fine for about 3 months. before I swapped to it I had AT&T DSL and had about 3 megs...

When I got this internet from Klip Interactive and that's a small time cable TV company in my area I only got around 1 meg at the time it was fine. But now around 6-7pm. Easter it goes to ****... and I am averaging only around 90 - 150 kbs... and upload for only 300-360kbs It normally stays like this until around 12 - 3am then goes back to normal.

So if anyone out there has any clue to what may be wrong please let me know so I can actually tell my Cable company what the problem is. Thanks.

This pic is from this speed test site at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You appear to have lag spikes at multiple hops - minor ones at 6, 8 and 14.

And a bigger issue with hop 12.

Do a "pathping siege.owo.com" instead. It'll ping each hop over a period of time to give a better idea. Runs for around 5 mins.

This way you can better see if where the issue is. Are you using a wireless connection?

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I'm not mistaken, Cable up & down speed is very variable to a point. If I'm remembering correctly speed on cable depends on how much use the cable is getting (Ie people watching TV, on the Net, Phone Svc, etc) where DSL isn't. I just did a fast Google search (Entered: cable internet speed issues) & this is what most sites implied.

Cable Speed Considerations
Did you know your cable speed will vary depending on the usage pattern of your neighbors? Cable modem services share bandwidth among subscribers in a locality. The same cable line connects to many households. If many of your neighbors access the Internet simulataneously, it is a distinct possibility that cable speeds for you (and them) will decrease significantly during those times.

Now considering prime time for TV etc is basically your poor up & down times, I would say that the small cable co is just too small & its bandwidth it has allotted is getting all used up by most people being home at this time & the TV's on. As Harlequin said, you do have some bad ping lag spikes, which could be just the time & route path issues at this time. Now with the speed test you did, have you tried the test at different times. If they seem consistent with the times you said, I would think it's a issue on the Cable Co's bandwidth being too small & its being eaten up by everyone else being on:(.

Kage

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I have ran the test at other times and I am around 1 meg and that's is normal.

Thanks everyone for the replies.