• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Interesting Video featuring George Carlin

F

Fayled Dhreams

pfffft! :talktothehand:

more interesting:

[YOUTUBE]4TKbIidbyhk[/YOUTUBE]

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The solution proposed in the OP's video is "a population of citizens who can think critically and analytically." How do we get there?

F

Fayled Dhreams

The solution proposed in the OP's video is "a population of citizens who can think critically and analytically." How do we get there?
:lol:

Solution - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

there was No "solution" proposed.
You are asking what the process might be ... to achieve a non-solution.

typical internet nattering.

It should be noted that that particular piece of Carlin's, was done after his wife had passed ...
and in my not so humble opinion ... ruined his outlook on life.
Fair enough ... but ... it should be noted.

There was one interview that he flatly stated(words to the point)
slap the red buttons and let the bacteria sort out the future
or not ...

*shrugs*
>was< a brilliant observer of human behavior and semantics
("I don't know about you, but, I'm getting IN the plane, NOT on it ...")
>died< a bitter and preachy old man.

:danceb:

F

Flora Green

Why is it that the Tea Party related people who have only been in office a couple of months are the villians, but BHO has been in office for 2 years and "still needs time" to fix the problems? Gee.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Barry,I mean Barak,did win the Nobel Prize within months of being made Prez. We should be able to expect more from him than the presidents from the past,right?
If it were the the Nobel prize for economics, I'd say yes. Seeing as it was the peace prize, not so much. But that's just me.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Barry,I mean Barak,did win the Nobel Prize within months of being made Prez. We should be able to expect more from him than the presidents from the past,right?
If it were the the Nobel prize for economics, I'd say yes. Seeing as it was the peace prize, not so much. But that's just me.
It doesn't matter what the prize was "officially" for. We all know he got the prize for being the first black president.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's hard to reverse 8 years of mistakes and bad decisions in such a short time.
And how many years of Dems in control of the house, including the past few years before BHO?
That doesn't count according to the liberal media.If something goes well in congress,it must have been a liberal that did the good job. If a good bill is deadlocked...well it must me a republicans fault. Thats Rule #1 in the journalists guide book. :p

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It doesn't matter what the prize was "officially" for. We all know he got the prize for being the first black president.
Then what was the point of bringing it up then? I don't think anyone should expect more of him because he got a token award because of his skin color.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then what was the point of bringing it up then? I don't think anyone should expect more of him because he got a token award because of his skin color.
I brought it up to point out the bias toward Barry.You,yourself have stated "It's hard to reverse 8 years of mistakes and bad decisions in such a short time." You saying that sounds like you are reading a scripted line. IE Republicans in Office=mistake. Dems in office=good" I am not denying that Bush made mistakes. He made plenty of them,but so has Obama...not that we will see those mistakes shown in the media.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Dems and Republicans are like Pepsi and Coke: same basic produce, but one comes in a blue can and one comes in a red can; both equally unhealthy for human consumption.

:stir:

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dems and Republicans are like Pepsi and Coke: same basic produce, but one comes in a blue can and one comes in a red can; both equally unhealthy for human consumption.

:stir:
Finally,a post in this thread I agree with. Good thing I "Drink RC" in political sense.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I brought it up to point out the bias toward Barry.You,yourself have stated "It's hard to reverse 8 years of mistakes and bad decisions in such a short time." You saying that sounds like you are reading a scripted line. IE Republicans in Office=mistake. Dems in office=good" I am not denying that Bush made mistakes. He made plenty of them,but so has Obama...not that we will see those mistakes shown in the media.
I don't fit neatly into a mold of democrat or republican. I think both have some good ideas and some really stupid ones. I don't bother with party lines, but I have 2 big issues with GW Bush in particular.

1. He didn't get elected president the first time. If any other state needed a recount I'd say ok, fine. It was close, but he won. The fact that it was Florida? Yeah, something's not right there.

2. The man is an idiot. Anyone who listened to 2 words out of the man's mouth knew that. He didn't have damn clue what he was doing. When Katrina hit he didn't even end his vacation early to return to Washington where he belonged dealing with the disaster.

All in all, I pity Obama. The man was elected at the worst possible time. Anyone following Bush was going to have an awful burden to carry, nothing they could do about that.

Yes, I did vote for Obama. At the time he was the best of the bunch. There wasn't another candidate that I had any faith in. Maybe the next election will offer something better.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My biggest gripe on Barry is that he actually campaigned in Europe. Europe?! This in itself told me that he is very arrogant or he forgot which nation's presidency he was after. As for Bush Jr being less than smart,Barry is no better. Have you seen his speeches where he didn't have a telepromter helping him? He looked absolutely lost without one giving him the words to say.

Edit: Just a sample of some of teleprompter-less Barry while speaking in public.

[youtube]2onONfX-UcA&NR=1[/youtube]

F

Fayled Dhreams

And how many years of Dems in control of the house, including the past few years before BHO?
A:
Democrats controlled BOTH house from 1955 until 1980 (26 years).
From 1981 until 1987 the Republicans controlled the Senate and the Democrats the House.
Democrats recaptured both houses in 87 and held them until 95 when the Republicans took both houses and held them until 2005.

Read more: Answers.com - What years did democrats control both house and senate

yw
*bows* :danceb:

Oh1 and:

blah blah blah on the whole thread by the way
buncha monkeys in a squirel cage
*tsk*

It all comes down to permissions and rights
what rights you have permissions to exercise ... act on in some way

Which resolves down to a foundational question:

Am I my brothers keeper?

Check youselves ...

I gottsa moon's worth of quatloo
what say's you are >wrong<

I AM: Your Fayled Dhreams
:scholar: Fiat justia, Ruat colleum

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It should be noted that that particular piece of Carlin's, was done after his wife had passed ...
and in my not so humble opinion ... ruined his outlook on life.
Fair enough ... but ... it should be noted.
Not so sure that's the reason for the tone of that particular show. Brenda Carlin died in 97, shortly after her death George met Sally Wade whom he married in 98. They remained married up until his death in 2008. I recently read "The George Carlin Letters: The Permanent Courtship of Sally Wade", It gives you a completely different view of the man. Based on what I've read in the book (as well as having read his semi-autobiographical book "Last Words") The period of time that this show was filmed during was some of the happiest of George's Life.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Not so sure that's the reason for the tone of that particular show. Brenda Carlin died in 97, shortly after her death George met Sally Wade whom he married in 98. They remained married up until his death in 2008. I recently read "The George Carlin Letters: The Permanent Courtship of Sally Wade", It gives you a completely different view of the man. Based on what I've read in the book (as well as having read his semi-autobiographical book "Last Words") The period of time that this show was filmed during was some of the happiest of George's Life.
*shrugs*

pity you couldn't put some specifics to your "not sure" opinion ...

When the death >impacted< his performances, is all I was noting.

viewing his entire body of work, chronologically, with an eye to when he went "bitter" ... lends my noted opinion ... credence.

and no ... It gives YOU a different view of the man ...

*shrugs*

Do you think his quoted bit
was insightful AND funny?

THAT was his genius ...

and it
was
not
>there<

imnsho ... :danceb: