• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Interesting topic brought up on other forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Barracoon:

an enclosure in which black slaves were confined for a limited period.

Yikes!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Barracoon:

an enclosure in which black slaves were confined for a limited period.

Yikes!
Not really significant of you look at the origin of the word.

In my mind it's similar at gasping at the word cotton.

"Cotton - black slaves used to pick it."

slaves is just a trigger word.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not really significant of you look at the origin of the word.

In my mind it's similar at gasping at the word cotton.

"Cotton - black slaves used to pick it."

slaves is just a trigger word.
Not quite the same. Cotton has many non racial definitions. As a matter of fact the definition itself has nothing to do with slavery. There is no other definition for barracoon.

I'll be honest I cracked a joke about it before the thread was closed but the more I think about it the more messed up it seems.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Not quite the same. Cotton has many non racial definitions. As a matter of fact the definition itself has nothing to do with slavery. There is no other definition for barracoon.

I'll be honest I cracked a joke about it before the thread was closed but the more I think about it the more messed up it seems.
You'll need to look at a little more than the definition that pops up in google.

It stems from the Spanish word for barracks and also notes it was for criminals.

It is merely a confinement in this case.

North_LS

Journeyman
it is a bit odd. i admit to looking it up after reading that thread too, and i couldnt find many other references or meanings aside from a painting by Andrew Wyeth (of some naked lady on a dirty looking bench) and that its derived from a spanish word meaning Barracks.

pub 16 dropped 16 years ago though, im surprised it hasnt come up before now.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it is a bit odd. i admit to looking it up after reading that thread too, and i couldnt find many other references or meanings aside from a painting by Andrew Wyeth (of some naked lady on a dirty looking bench) and that its derived from a spanish word meaning Barracks.

pub 16 dropped 16 years ago though, im surprised it hasnt come up before now.
Because No one gave a F*** 16 years ago. But today where people get offended when somone says hello to them..... Guess what

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Because No one gave a F*** 16 years ago. But today where people get offended when somone says hello to them..... Guess what
I could see the alarm in the word and certainly looks bad at face value.

I'm not sure i would have picked the name given the derivative, since one could easily construe it as racially charged. And who knows, given the time period it probably was.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well obviousely only americans See a Problem with that Word the Rest of the World still dont give a F***

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And I would normally agree with you. As i stated my first reaction was so what. Giving it second thought though... I can see where this could be kinda offensive...

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And I would normally agree with you. As i stated my first reaction was so what. Giving it second thought though... I can see where this could be kinda offensive...
I agree on You that ITS Not the best choice but this is a perfect example of how Things changed...

For 16 years No one gave a F***

As iam Not from the US i have No clue how this Part of US History is handled in history classes in school but I simply assume now that 16 years ago when this came out more people played who actually experienced personally some of that racist crap around the time where Kennedy was president ( I might be wrong in the time)
..... So when those did not step up 16 years ago and bashed the **** out of the devs so why should we be make something out today?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree on You that ITS Not the best choice but this is a perfect example of how Things changed...

For 16 years No one gave a F***

As iam Not from the US i have No clue how this Part of US History is handled in history classes in school but I simply assume now that 16 years ago when this came out more people played who actually experienced personally some of that racist crap around the time where Kennedy was president ( I might be wrong in the time)
..... So when those did not step up 16 years ago and bashed the **** out of the devs so why should we be make something out today?
Honestly I think it was of a lack of knowledge. Personally I did not know what a barracoon was until it was pointed out in that thread. Now that it has been pointed out it's kind of hard to ignore.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Honestly I think it was of a lack of knowledge. Personally I did not know what a barracoon was until it was pointed out in that thread. Now that it has been pointed out it's kind of hard to ignore.
Possible. However there are more important changes for them...

Well I guess on second thought they make more unneeded changes like this more often so...

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Possible. However there are more important changes for them...

Well I guess on second thought they make more unneeded changes like this more often so...
I'm not bringing this up to have the name changed. Nor would I be up in arms if they didn't. I would however understand completely if they did or if someone did indeed complain that it should be changed. I just thought it was interesting. Even more so that he is the controller of the vermin spawn.... jusylt saying.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm not bringing this up to have the name changed. Nor would I be up in arms if they didn't. I would however understand completely if they did or if someone did indeed complain that it should be changed. I just thought it was interesting. Even more so that he is the controller of the vermin spawn.... jusylt saying.
The irony in the last sentence made me chuckle.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know the more I look at this the more odd it seems.... how many bosses do you know in game that are dark skinned?

North_LS

Journeyman
yeah thats my outlook. i dont care, but i can see why some might. i keep thinking that there *has* to be some tie to the pied piper storyline, but i cant find one.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mephitis and Navrey. Neira might have a little mocha going on too.
Mephitis looks like she should. Navrey one could say looks sort of like someone made her out of cherry wood or something but she certainly looks like a spider... I think we are talking about Humanoids... not spiders. And in that sense, there are none in UO that look "politically incorrect" least not that I'm aware of or can think of off the top of my head but then I'm not racist... Now having just read about the hidden meaning of said mob perhaps he's due a name change. What harm is there in that? Cange him to Pied Piper for all I care. Or Rat King... Ben... Though that's probably TM...

I could go on about how many things in UO are quite sexist and that's been brought up many times... but you don't see me crying a river about the fact that there are no females of many species in UO...

I started playing Black Desert Online you want to talk about sexist... it has "maids" yep they are all female... in silly little costumes... very sexist game IMO but I ignore that and enjoy it for what it is.

People need to get over things and not let so much get under their skin. But today isn't about tolerance and acceptance it's about me me me... but when I was young people didn't come to school and try to blow it up or shoot everyone... Even if we were bullied or picked on or whatever.

Duke Winter

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
IBTL.

Ugh, so much I want to say on this subject. But it's too much of a slippery slope.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm fine with the name.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can see it being one of those bottom of the publish notes items "Renamed the Vermin spawn Boss to Bob"

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thread has been cleaned up and moved since it was "Off Topic", however after further review and considering the most recent posts were turning into a political discussion it has been locked. You can review more information on that rule here Political discussions on Stratics. Thanks

Locked.png

Status
Not open for further replies.