• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Intent versus Game Mechanics

• Thread starter Muhammed_Abdul
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

Muhammed_Abdul

Let us suppose, hypothetically of course, that a person has an account and a presence on a non-PvP shard...errr...server.

Some characters are Horde. Some are Alliance.

It is the intent of Blizzard that Horde cannot talk to Alliance, trade with Alliance, group with Alliance, make friends with Alliance, breed with Alliance, and so forth.

Let us suppose that on this account, Mr. Horde has something that Ms. Alliance can use. No way to mail it, etc. But there is the Neutral Auction House.

Would it be evil, detectable, bannable, frownable, if Mr. Horde were to put something up for auction, log off, log on with Ms. Alliance, and buy the item?

Not that I know anyone who would wish to do such a thing.

R

RayneStorm

Well, you can't...technically.

What I mean is, an Alliance character cannot purchase through a neutral AH from a Horde character on the same account. That being said, if you know someone that plays on your server that you can trust, you can always have them buy the item on the Alliance side after you post it on the Horde character.

No need to be coy about it. Blizzard knows it happens. Been happening for as long as there has been neutral Auction Houses. Heck, the vanity pet achievement REQUIRES you use the neutral Auction Houses to get pets over from Alliance / Horde areas.

All that being said, if you happen to play on the Vek'nilash server, let me know. I'll be more than happy to help you transfer things to the Alliance side.

Use it, abuse it...but a word of caution...the goblins that run the joint take a 15% cut, so don't put a piece of meat on the AH for 1000g and have an Alliance person buy it...you will only get 850g for the Horde out of the deal. Instead, take a few minutes, study the economy of the normal Horde AH, and transfer an item worth 1000g from the Alliance side and sell it to the Horde.

M

mecantile

Yeah it can be a roll of the dice especially if the horde and alliance markets are different in price-if this item is really worth it you could face a pretty significant price difference. I would highly recommend doing it during low traffic times on your server as well.

M

Muhammed_Abdul

Well, you can't...technically.

What I mean is, an Alliance character cannot purchase through a neutral AH from a Horde character on the same account. That being said, if you know someone that plays on your server that you can trust, you can always have them buy the item on the Alliance side after you post it on the Horde character.
So you are saying the game mechanics will not allow it to take place? I cannot put something in a neutral AH as Horde, log off the character, log on as Alliance, and purchase it (assuming it is still there)? Two separate accounts are required?

And no, this would not be on Vek'nilash.

R

RayneStorm

So you are saying the game mechanics will not allow it to take place? I cannot put something in a neutral AH as Horde, log off the character, log on as Alliance, and purchase it (assuming it is still there)? Two separate accounts are required?

And no, this would not be on Vek'nilash.
Correct, you cannot cross-faction trade on one account. You need two accounts, or a friend / guildmate / someone to help. Good co-ordination is recommended. Setting up a simple communication method, like waving at the Alliance person to let them know the item in on the AH, works well.