• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Installing UO with Wine

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to run UO (any client) on an openSUSE machine with WINE.

After extracting and accepting the licences and all, the "install" button is grayed out. I read on a blog that removing the blanks etc. from the folder name might help. But if I try to change something in the destination line, the thing crashes and the command line says:
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x25895f8 (thread 0025), starting debugger

So, any linux or wine pros around who can tell me what to do?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can try the guide here and see how you get on.

I take a really basic route with UO on linux, I run several distros on different partitions so there's always a working copy of UO that I can copy over. I tend to install Wine, then Winetricks and the items listed in Nexus' guide. Then I copy the UO installation folders over into .wine/drive_c/Program Files. For UOAssist, I follow Nexus' guide. IE7 never seems to install well for me in Wine, so if you have trouble with it, try IE6 instead.

Good luck :D

Wenchy

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used that guide, but my problem is not covered by it. Got it to work with a very old install file for the CC: Utlima Online - Mondain's Legacy

Still patching but looking good.

Oh, and why would anyone want to use such old browsers? I just use opera or firefox on the linux machine and am pretty happy with it.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used that guide, but my problem is not covered by it. Got it to work with a very old install file for the CC: Utlima Online - Mondain's Legacy

Still patching but looking good.
Eeks, you'll be patching for a while there :( I'm guessing you don't have an existing UO install you could copy?

Oh, and why would anyone want to use such old browsers? I just use opera or firefox on the linux machine and am pretty happy with it.
I don't use the browser for browsing, it's there purely to run UOAssist. I've got FF4 for "proper" browsing.

Wenchy

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I know this is kind of an old topic but here's some info. EA/Bio-Mythic/Sham-a-lama-ding-dong or what ever they are being called these days have changed the installers since I wrote that page.......

The new installers will work, but only if you have the Development version of WINE installed (1.3x), I never was able to get the newer installers to work using the Stable branch of WINE. After that, using it the installers work just fine for myself, I'm planning to get the page updated before too long. I'm sort of on a mini-UO vacation. I do play other games you know.....