• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

installing path

apterous

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
so there is no way to determine yourself where you want it to be installed. it automatically started to download **** in C: drive. AND MY C IS FULL AND ONLY FOR WINDOWS SO THIS **** IS KINDA ****ING UP MY ****.help plz.

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
We don't have an installer yet, so it just automatically uses the default path right now. You can change it though, by adding a parameter to the launcher:

- Create a new directory on your D drive (or wherever). It's important that it be am empty directory, because the launcher will delete files in there if they don't seem like they're part of the game!
- Find the launcher and right click it, choose Create Shortcut
- Right click the short cut and choose Properties. On the "Target" line, add this to the end:
-saveto "D:\wherever\you\want"

So it will look something like
C:\downloads\ProjectGorgon.exe -saveto "D:\games\gorgon"

And from then on, start the game by double clicking that shortcut, instead of double clicking the game executable itself.

Ballzz

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the explanation. It seems to work but now I would like to uninstall the previous install on my c: drive. I can't find any uninstall program or option. I generally don't like to just delete folders of installed programs as that is not typically a clean method of removal. Can anyone explain the proper method for uninstalling the game?

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Because there's no installer, there's no uninstaller yet either. If you delete the folder that is mentioned when the installer starts up "(Installing to C:\blah\blah\blah)", and delete the game folder where you downloaded the game, that will uninstall all permanent data. (A tiny bit will still be in your web cache, which will get cleared out automatically over time, or you can speed up the process by going to http://webplayer.unity3d.com/setup/ and removing Project: Gorgon related entries.)

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
That's good to know. I did notice that it installed a lot of content right into my (c:\users\<username>\appdata\) folder, and I do know that is a folder that is typically targeted for viruses and what not. I checked it last night and Gorgon currently has 1.62GB in it's directory in that location.

I'm just wondering whether that will be changed later on or not or at least give us an option. I understand no real installer is created as of yet, but I guess I would ask that the appdata be referenced as little as possible because of the virus issue. Most notably the CryptoLocker virus typically attaches itself in the appdata folder, so as a IT Technician professionally, I prefer to have as little as possible running from this folder.

So just for future reference, try and stay out of the appdata folder when creating the installer if at all possible, thanks and keep up the amazing work!

Gorgonzola

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I too hope you can fix the installation path, as my windows partition is limited in size.

That's intereting. Was the game really a web browser based game at some point? o_O

Perhaps there is a way to "hack" unity to make it install elsewhere?