• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Inscription and magery questions

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anyone know if jewelry counts toward 120 magery when trying for extra mods, or is 120 real required?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
what do you mean trying for extra mods?

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Up to 3 properties can be added, based on magery skill.

Does it need to be 120 real? Anyone had luck making 3 property spellbooks using jewelry in place of real skill?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i seem to recall that its real skill.
of course i dont know where or when i read that.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Anyone know if jewelry counts toward 120 magery when trying for extra mods, or is 120 real required?
i recently trained up inscription and read up on this a lot.... i did find people saying it should be real skill, however, this was not backed up w/ anything concrete

in my own experience, i used 100 real magery plus 20 off jewels to bring me to 120... in a 10k scroll run (i estimate as i did not keep exact count, but 10k is in ballpark), i produced 4 super slayers and 22 three mod books...

also, this may matter to you as well.... when using inscription bonus, i opted for the exceptional bonus rather than the straight inscription bonus... why? the straight bonus adds to your success chance.... and though the exceptional bonus is not known w/ any certainty to aid in producing modded books, it is better imho to have a lower success chance and lose a few blank scrolls here and there than to forego the exceptional bonus and possibly have a lesser chance at a modded book

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
also, this may matter to you as well.... when using inscription bonus, i opted for the exceptional bonus rather than the straight inscription bonus... why? the straight bonus adds to your success chance.... and though the exceptional bonus is not known w/ any certainty to aid in producing modded books, it is better imho to have a lower success chance and lose a few blank scrolls here and there than to forego the exceptional bonus and possibly have a lesser chance at a modded book
Oh? We try to scribe some 1000 books per week, and our impression is the opposite, the exceptional books are often less impressive as for mods on it it seems... So we go for the highest success chance now. (Also because vanity to have his name on books doesn't suit our scribe hehe.)

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would not hurt to have +INT and +Magery items equipt to over cap and use both exceptional and inscription bonuses on a tali. I use a 25%/25 and I have seen better tali's than that out there. At that point Its all RNG.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I understand, anything in UO that checks skills will always do it based on the total value (this includes +skill items). That is unless the developers put in a specific check, of which none come to mind at this moment.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Masteries are a specific real skill check, items that add skill points don't count at all.

Real skill should always be better than skill+items, but UO isn't exactly consistent in this area.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Masteries are a specific real skill check, items that add skill points don't count at all.

Real skill should always be better than skill+items, but UO isn't exactly consistent in this area.
True or not I remember a similar conversation about inscription prior to 2008 great board crash about how int and magery are read similar to resists on the back end and that over cap numbers did have a effect on inscription.. in the formula, could be myth or lost knowledge. I also remember a dev chiming in on it to confirm. Donno for sure. But I can say for sure I always equip a spell book with +int and magery (just in case) and have for Years.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know people that jack their magery upto over 200 and say that makes a world of difference when crafting books

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know people that jack their magery upto over 200 and say that makes a world of difference when crafting books
How the heck would u do that? 120 real skill, 30 from bracelet & ring(+5 more if using crystalline), +15 from spell book & +5 talisman still only gives 170-175 ?

Only thing I know for 100% certain is magery skill capped, intelligence capped (150), & a damn good talisman make a difference.
Devs said years ago your magery skill and intelligence are factors (combine with GM inscribe of course).

That said, I follow my above advice as well as wear a max luck suit, keep 120med 120eval & 120resist on my inscribe char, bless myself, chug pots, &
eat petals right before trying my luck on scrappers cause I'm just that WeIrD and don't know what else (if anything) may help ! :coco:

On a good note, in the last 6 months I've made 2 undead scrappers, 1 elemental, 2 spider slayer, 2 orc slayer, 2 ophidian, and 1 terathin slayer scrapper :danceb:.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe you can do 40 with jewelry....but it has been a while...then there is the magery mark and a fewq other armor pieces that have magery on them,

I would really have to go through all my chests...I remember doing it for a guild mate so they could make a set of super slayer scrappers.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Beside the mark(which I forgot), I think I pretty much covered all +magery items. There are no other armor pieces that boost magery which I'm aware.
You could find a +20mage bracelet so with that & a mark considered, I'd bump up the max to around 190 tops.

Thanks for thoughts on magery boosts over cap @TimberWolf and @It Lives , I'll have to give that a try my next round of books :)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Someone should copy an uber magery suit to TC1 and test making scrapper's with it, see if any of these ideas bear fruit.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone should copy an uber magery suit to TC1 and test making scrapper's with it, see if any of these ideas bear fruit.
I guess they could but there is no real mystery about this....I am sure this was covered in one of the old friday question periods ( you remember back when the devs gave a **** about us and the game we pay them to maintain). I still think we are missing an armor piece somewhere....I was sure we hit 200 magery total. Either way my friend went on to make a few super slayer scrapper sets. The magery wasnt the big issue either way...it was the approximately 1000 taint required to create a set

They really need to do something to increase the drop rates of those ingredients

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not entirely relevent, but my crafter on Siege manages gate spell like this: 2 x 15 jewels, treatise on alchemy talisman and tome of lost knowledge in hand = 50 magery + gate scrolls.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Taint is usually the issue to making slayer scrappers. Now personally I still think that spellbooks ought to be imbuable.... Any warrior can imbue exactly what he needs and wants on all their weapons... Mages however are Fed in that department and have to have someone farm for a decade or more to get enough taint to make a few attempts at getting a scrapper slayer... don't know what they have against people having a decent spellbook but it's pretty hard core...

I've tried 100's of times with my 120mage/GM Inscriptionist... with every boost I can get to magery, Inscription etc... and only ONCE gotten a super slayer... Usually if you manage to get a slayer its for something completely worthless like for snowelementals or something equally stupid. VERY rarely you get something like a spider slayer which is actually worthwhile. Troll slaying scrappers.... like that's helpful... *rolls eyes* and to think that you wasted 100 taint for that.

And to top it off whenever I've asked the DEVs about it Mesanna gave me the lamest excuse EVER for it... saying it would put inscriptionists out of work..... and I said yes like Imbuing weapons and armor puts the blacksmith and tailor out of work.... NOT...... You still need the BASE scrappers or BASE spellbook... so you still need inscription... People still use gate, teleport, and recall scrolls..... so no they are not in any danger of not being needed. What puts them in danger of not being needed is not being able to craft some of the spell scrolls like spellweaving scrolls.