• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Ingots An opposition

5% Luck

I ve been coming up short on iron dull and shadow. I break just about even on copper. I have way too much bronze and gold and hardly use my agapite verite and valorite.

Since the resource change, Ive mined and filled bods. I seem to be finding that I simply dont use the higher lvl ingots realy that much. Since this is the case I wonder why the more plentiful ingots are not dropping in price.

Even though dull is the most common colored ingot I still have alot of dull bods going unfilled and to off set this I buy them. The same goes doubly for shadow and iron.

If we ran our market on supply and demand I would think the price on dull and shadow would rise higher than copper or bronze or even verite as I can not even find dull or shadow 90% of the time on vendors.

Since I have very little need for the so called high end ingots valorite verite and agapite doing bods and if i was to craft using a runic,(almost no one crafts metal armor) I dont use anything but dull or iron or better yet golden, Why then are their prices not reflected in the market. We all mine up as much as comes our way via random resources but very little is being used compared to the out put(more so with prospectors/gargoyles).

Is there a growing supply of these high level ingots?

Is there anyone really buying and using valorite. If so what for>?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Like you, most of my BODs are Shadow and Dull Copper, and often they sit unfilled from lack of ingots. In fact, I generally need a lot more dull Copper, than shadow, as Shadow elementals are easily enough gotten (Yomotsu mines, or mining with a prospector's tool & garg pick)

There's only two uses for Agapite, Verite & Valorite

1. Filling certain BODs (high-end hammer larges, and smalls for POF, chances at colored anvils & bronze hammers), all of which are pretty uncommon
2. Donating to the library for points to get talismans and Trades glasses (especially the valorite).

I, just a week or two ago, bought about 10k Valorite, to get a talisman for my tamer, that I hadn't been able to get the ingots for through mining. The only reason WHY I couldn't get the ingots through mining was because I was spending all my mining time MINING DULL COPPER AND SHADOW to fill BODs!

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the same problem. I keep running out of Dull and Shadow ingots. I'm also pretty low on Verite and Agapite (Bronze Hammers and LBODs). I have way more Valorite Ingots than I'll ever need because the BODs are still rare enough that I rarely fill any of them. I fill enough Copper and Bronze LBODs to use just about the same amount of ingots as I get.

I'm pretty much always out of Iron Ingots, but I'm going to start doing the Ilsh Gypsies so that problem will end (hopefully).

5% Luck

Yea a guess im not alone. But is this being reflected in the market on your shards?

T

Thiefy/Glorfiedel

i think yes, because iron are the lowest priced ingots, some sell them for 15-20 gp each.

but when you reflect, how easy it is to get some iron ingots instead of..lets say shadow...

the price for iron ingots is high.

you can compare it with plain wood which goes for 3-5 gp each board.

5% Luck

i think yes, because iron are the lowest priced ingots, some sell them for 15-20 gp each.

but when you reflect, how easy it is to get some iron ingots instead of..lets say shadow...

the price for iron ingots is high.

you can compare it with plain wood which goes for 3-5 gp each board.
So dull copper is raising in price and valorite getting lower?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Both are going up, for the most part - but DC is going up 2-3 times faster than Valorite.

Valorite prices have almost doubled since last year (average is 200 per; before, it ranged 90-120 per). So have the higher metals (ones that were always 50 or more each).

But, Dull Copper has gone from 20-30 each, to 75-100 each, and I've not seen shadow on sale in ages. Copper pretty much sits on vendors, not being bought until someone has an Ex 20 plate to fill (or, in my case back during the turn-ins, a 10 Ex to get a PS to turn in for 3500 points), and doesn't differ much in price from Dull Copper (maybe 10 GP difference per).

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too get little dull copper and shadow. While I get alot of copper, bronze, gold, and agapite.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I wish they would allow mining up Dull Copper elementals with a gargoyles pickaxe and or give the wild ones 25 regular ore.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For mining dull: you can use a prospectors tool on an iron vein to get dull. If additionally using a garg pick you can get shadow eles out of that iron spot.
And dont forget about the orc brutes. Those offer somewhat free shadow to you all. *g*

5% Luck

If im most low on iron why would i bump it to dull? any way i do this i end up with a"gap".

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As Setnaffa mentioned, there's a way to cover shortages in Iron (the randomly spawning/despawning gypsy camps in Ilshenar). Look up the random camp locations in the atlas entries of Ilshenar on the main uo.stratics.com page.

A

Angus

Ok, I'll ask the noob question :eek:

The gypsies give ingots? How do you do that?

5% Luck

In the gypsy camps there are(sometimes) 2 kinds of them that sell ingots. The main thing here is they respawn often meaning they get rest back to 8 gold an ingot 3-4 time per day. The downside is they are a random spawn and there is no recalling "to" ishtar. There are about 8 camps to check sometimes they are there some time not. Even sometimes the ingot sellers arent there but the camp is so its pot luck realy.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OK, it's simple.

10+ randomly spawnng Gypsy camps. Typically 4-5 active at any given time. (Note these are NOT the permanent gypsies, like the ones at the Compassion/Central Ilshenar passage, Alexandrella's bowl, or in the desert).

These spawns have the following, always, that spawn in this order, a few minutes apart - If you find one without one of these, just wait....
  • Gypsy Wagon & tent, with large firepit (half the time there will be an anvil & small forge on the south side of the fire pit - regardless if the camp has anyone that can use it)
  • Gypsy Fortune Teller (Healer/Mage NPC)
  • Banker
They can have 0-3 of the following NPCs
  • Gypsy Maiden (Provisioner/Jeweler)
  • Vagabond (Tinkerer)
  • Iron Worker (Smith)
The camps spawn and despawn at random intervals (they are Gypsies on the move, after all). While the NPCs spawn slowly, over 10, 20 or more minutes, when the came LEAVES it all goes at once.

Because the camps do spawn and despawn at a rate more often than daily, their prices reset every time the camp respawns. As a result, a newly spawned Gypsy camp that hasn't yet been visited has...
  • Iron ingots starting at 8 per for the first 1000, on the Vagabond & Iron Worker (note you can also claim & turn in smith BODs to the Iron Worker)
  • Boards starting at 3 per for the first 1000, on the Vagabond
  • Best possible price selling gems to the Vagabond and Maidens
  • Arrows and Bolts are also on the Maiden, at their default prices (3 & 5 each, IIRC, for the first 1000). Other items also useful to some crafters (apples, for the cook) also at default price.
Locations (as noted before, about 4 or 5 will be occupied at any given time - if not active, the ground where the spawn would be is clear - and is often obviously rectangular & flat, in the case of some of the spawns that occur on grassy areas - these are marked with a * ):
  1. Compassion side of Pass of Karnaugh*
  2. Compassion side of the Daemon spawn by the AW lair (as you get close to Chaos)*
  3. Compassion, between Alexandrella's bowl and the bridge to the undead keep (usually very close to the random orcs)*
  4. Spirituality, just northwest of the Inn (where you find Lisbett), between the woods, road and water
  5. Spirituality/Sacrifice, along road north of Grandpa Charley's farm. Walking from 4 to 5, looking to shop, can get you compassion gains, if you accept Lisbett's quest.*
  6. Sacrifice, Between Lakeshire/Mireg & the Healer Grove, next to Rock on north side of road.*
  7. Justice, by the dock on the river (extremely dangerous, but you can farm the water elementals as you buy, and if there's a forge, you can smelt any metal loot on them for more ingots)
  8. Honesty, across the bridge from the jungle to Mistas, due south of the entrance to Mistas. Watch out for all the juka, and the occasional golem or chaos dragoon.
  9. Honesty, clearing in jungle along the road heading north towards the Ankh Dungeon entrance. Also a little dangerous, with the same spawn types as 8, plus imps, ratmen and controllers.
  10. Honor, half-way towards the Humility Champ spawn, in the large clearing at the road terminus.
  11. & 12. There were spawn points near the road break between Honor & the Lich-controlled ford/Gwenno's memorial, and in the swamp near Humility moongate (towards the undead and lizards), but I've not managed to catch these active in the last year or two, so they may no longer function

5% Luck

Nice barsara!

I can only add that if you buy 500 then 499 then 500 again you can get an extra 499 at the initial cost. Then every 1000 it ups 1 more gold per item. its too bad you cant use this "trick" on every "teir" on the way up.

Ive also found If i buy up the ingots to 12 each and hit all the spawns I break about even on my iron bods. Gold received(bod) to gold spent(gypsy ingots)

A

Angus

Thanks!!!!

5% and Basara - feel stupid having asked but glad I did :D

T

Tycolby

PFFFT and now the Cat is out of the Bag!!!!!! So you all might as well buy your arrows and bolts and wood there too!!!!!!!

T

Tycolby

The reason you cant find DC or Shadow on vendors is because BOD fillers have place large orders with miners and it saves time and money to sell to these ppl than waste alot of gold on a vendor. 600k in shadow here and 60k in DC there, and not a gold piece wasted on vendors.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
DC - Shame...>Dull Copper Ele lair

Shadow - Orc Brutes in Orc Cave

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Of course, at only 2 ore per DC ele, the spawn is really too slow at any of the spots.

They need to be like the other ore elementals - especially since shadows give more.

U

UOKaiser

Interesting those are going so high. I sell them when I have excess and I sell them by rarerity of getting the ingots. I still sell dull for 25 and shadow for 35. But Im part of a mining guild so we can usually cover ingots pretty well. On the higher end ingots for example verite is used for those who like to craft high end smith armor as it gives better spread of ressit. Valorite is so hard to get and smelt that we need to keep that in high prices if we lowerd the price on those it wont be worth it. Just like those from gold and up because of the smelt fail percentage and rarerity. No point in bringing those prices down when we usually dont have enough to keep them in stock if they sell as fast as iron-shadow does. While bronze and copper are the slowest sellers and easier to gather that we can play with those prices around.

And also youre right many miners have a agreement with others to supply them with what they need as well but usually at or higher than market price for the privalege of it being hand deliverd to them.

F

Fink

I never bother mining shadow as I hunt orc brutes for it - a bit slower than mining but generally less mucking about. I'll always bump shadow up to copper or bronze, although I'm not exactly wanting for those. I bump up because I know where to find more shadow whenever the need arises, but copper and bronze are more trouble to locate.

As for dull copper, I don't seem to run into shortages of this stuff.. possibly because I only do bods in binges rather than day in, day out. I'm hoping the dull copper elementals will spawn (via GPA) with 25 big ore, though.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get shadow from the Orc Brutes in the cave. I go with my wife, while she kills the orcs/orc brutes, I'll mine the cave with a mask of orcish kin on.