• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Inflation

Johnny Black

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We ALL saw this coming, We all Warn the Devs that by removing the Vet Rewards from Idocs THIS would happen!
  • Teleporters went from 40 to 100m
  • Garden Sheds are now sold for 150M
  • Jawbones went from 40m to 150M
  • Ethereal horses are now 100M

I can go on and on and on with the list, We all WARNED that this would happen and oh well , I was really expecting this to happen 1 or 3 month after the patch, nopt a week after!!!. Well done to Mesanna.:ten:

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Other than the jawbones, everything is vet rewards. Which are being deleted from idocs. So clever people, not myself, bought them up and doubled the prices since 99% of the vet rewards for sale come from idocs.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The jawbones is just a surge of returning players who are wanting useful items that were only available for a limited time.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Prices of things got jacked up way before the new IDOC changes. You can thank Commission Vendors for this. But deleting vet rewards just made some prices even worse.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We ALL saw this coming, We all Warn the Devs that by removing the Vet Rewards from Idocs THIS would happen!

I can go on and on and on with the list, We all WARNED that this would happen and oh well , I was really expecting this to happen 1 or 3 month after the patch, nopt a week after!!!. Well done to Mesanna.:ten:
How many frogs do you have in your pocket with all of this WE stuff ?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And for the record the biggest reason for inflation has a lot more to do with 20+ years of playing with literally zero effective gold sinks than it does with duping.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Funny thing about prices. You can price it at whatever you want but it doesn't mean someone will buy it. Let me demonstrate... I have 6 sets of vet reward teleport tiles. Ill sell them all to the next person who asks for 400 mil. According to your numbers that's a savings of 200 mil so I should get a buyer really quick right?

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Funny thing about prices. You can price it at whatever you want but it doesn't mean someone will buy it. Let me demonstrate... I have 6 sets of vet reward teleport tiles. Ill sell them all to the next person who asks for 400 mil. According to your numbers that's a savings of 200 mil so I should get a buyer really quick right?
Ill take them.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
The game just needs gold sinks that make sense for players to utilize and it will level out in a year or two max

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A pretty substantial part of the amount of gold problem that gets overlooked a lot is the combining of the shard economies. Since the economy is effectively just Atlantic now, everyone brought all their gold from other shards to Atlantic. That's 22 years worth of gold from 25 different shards all being combined into one place almost overnight when shard shields became a thing.

Of course inflation flipped out when 24x the amount of money that was originally there got dumped into the economy.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And for the record the biggest reason for inflation has a lot more to do with 20+ years of playing with literally zero effective gold sinks than it does with duping.
Plus the inability to delete items even after they fix loopholes. The cheaters always get away with it on UO.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It’s almost 100% inflation rate, who supplied so much gold?
Third-party websites selling gold. People used to be careful how they spent their gold when it took us forever to stockpile a million. Now that people can buy a BILLION in less than five minutes....

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Third-party websites selling gold. People used to be careful how they spent their gold when it took us forever to stockpile a million. Now that people can buy a BILLION in less than five minutes....
Back before AOS I was able to mine and make a million a day selling the ingots to smiths at brit north forge

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Plus those clever website sellers go around and buy up all the Vet Rewards they can, and double the prices. With IDOCs no longer being viable, they had to have some way to make money. Thank commission vendors for that too, even if someone sells 10 for "normal price" first.... it doesn't affect theirs at all. And with vendors no longer being a viable gold sink..... well...... yea. People buying gold sucks for sure. Best you can do is do current content and try to catch in on the inflated prices at the start.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you mined over 100,000 iron ingots a day, LMAO
Valorite ingots not regular iron. I have 3 rune books full of valorite spots. In 8 hrs I was able to mine 10k plus the reg iron and other ore. It helped that i was lucky and had a item i could have been baned with back then. Dont have it anymore. So i did not have to run back then to my house. And then when in fel was killing the script miners. Each spot gave about 16 ore witch is 32 ingots. Times 16 per book = 512 ingots give or take times that by 3 books was 1500 valorite ingots give or take times that by 6 to 8 hrs was 9k to 12k valorite ingots. Was selling 10k for 1mil back then. They where 10gold and up to 100 gold per ingot depending on the color. Back then I just worked and went to school liveing on 4 hrs of sleep.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Every conceivable answer has been provided to you. This is standard in all long running games, WoW, final fantasy , etc

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Back before AOS I was able to mine and make a million a day selling the ingots to smiths at brit north forge
Valorite ingots not regular iron. I have 3 rune books full of valorite spots. In 8 hrs I was able to mine 10k plus the reg iron and other ore. It helped that i was lucky and had a item i could have been baned with back then. Dont have it anymore. So i did not have to run back then to my house. And then when in fel was killing the script miners. Each spot gave about 16 ore witch is 32 ingots. Times 16 per book = 512 ingots give or take times that by 3 books was 1500 valorite ingots give or take times that by 6 to 8 hrs was 9k to 12k valorite ingots. Was selling 10k for 1mil back then. They where 10gold and up to 100 gold per ingot depending on the color. Back then I just worked and went to school liveing on 4 hrs of sleep.
LMAO This is the biggest load of bullcrap I have ever heard in my life. NOBODY SOLD VAL INGOTS TO THE SMITHS AT BRIT NORTH FORGE, THE SMITHS ONLY BOUGHT IRON INGOTS.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LMAO This is the biggest load of bullcrap I have ever heard in my life. NOBODY SOLD VAL INGOTS TO THE SMITHS AT BRIT NORTH FORGE, THE SMITHS ONLY BOUGHT IRON INGOTS.
He means to the player smiths that used to flock at Britain Smith. The north one by the graveyard. That's where player smiths made and repaired items for other players in ancient times when only Felucca existed. Housing was at a super premium and it was sometimes hard to even find a 7x7, so many crafters operated in towns and out of their banks. Back before guild chat and general chat were put in, the fastest way to find a smith was to actually go to the blacksmith in game (or maybe advertise on Tradespot).

Last edited:

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
with literally zero effective gold sinks
Eh? Then how to call the annoying situation where 99% of the decent Dexxer armor loot drops come with Mage Armor, and 70% of the nice Mage Properties are on non-medable pieces? 250k per change, that is a gold sink we'd say? Although yeah, if you only play on 1 account, you don't have that many suits to make...

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No there where player smith that use to be there 24/7 repairing armor and weapons for players. And if they where not there you just went to brit bank. You most not have played back then and only know of vendor search and general chat. But that is what people did. Before VS I had rune books full of vendors that I would buy off of and resell to people that where to lazy to look for a item.

Last edited:

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
some gold comes from illegal sites which ill let u guess how they get their endless supply of gold.
some farm all day for gold with multiple endless cheating accounts, you would be surprised how much gold they make.
not sure how much duping is going on now
going on for 22 years.
at least vet rewards are very valuable, I have no problem with the deletion of vet rewards and resources at idocs, there is/are too much out there.
people can now use all vet rewards except account bound shards shields. this over all has driven the demand/price up more than anything because everyone can use now. look at power scrolls, went way up due to demand with pets being able to use.
most gold sinks will just hurt the normal player. I know most wouldn't like to see a tax on the gold they have, with the more you have the more you are taxed lol. I don't really have a good solution.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Perfect example where UO economy is changing day by day!!
That fits better in the thread about commission vendors making prices go up. Those are not deleted at IDOCs.

Also as someone said, theres a ton of returners that want those items and they see an add for buying gold every 30 mins so they can buy gold then get one.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The price of a item is what someone is willing to pay. If you want to buy a vet teleporter and willing to pay 200mil then so be it. Would sell mine if someone wanted it that badly.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
some gold comes from illegal sites which ill let u guess how they get their endless supply of gold.
some farm all day for gold with multiple endless cheating accounts, you would be surprised how much gold they make.
not sure how much duping is going on now
Can't forget to mention the bulk gold sellers who sell 50 plat for 6 cents a mil. That's where your gold selling sites here are getting their gold. Buy at 6 and sell at 10, 15, 20, whatever.

Last edited:

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
only a big deal if players, especially newer ones, can't find ways to get what they need 2b effective. of course you also have people on stratics essentially saying that other players are too-effective because good gear is too widely available. funny, that.

as to how there's so much gold: 20 years of gold farming and, while gold sinks exist, there aren't as many gold sinks as there are gold sources.

but again: doesn't matter by itself. only matters if it hurts players, especially newer ones, finding ways to get what they need 2b effective.

No buddy back then the smiths he is referring to where actual players that was the spot because everyone didn't have a smith so smiths sat there making suits and armor all day for people so miners of course would come there to sell there ingots they mined

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Every conceivable answer has been provided to you. This is standard in all long running games, WoW, final fantasy , etc
In WoW, even among the longest term of the players, it's rare to have a surplus of gold. There are the exceptions that have been playing the auction houses for years, but most players can't even afford the expensive items in game. The last few expansions they've released mounts that cost a lot of gold. Only a few people have them. They are gold sinks, but unique enough for players to buy them. Even the Youtubers that have pretty much lived in the game can't afford them. I've played WoW since vanilla and I think if I pooled all my gold I'd have about 30k. The super mount this expansion costs 5 mil.

Final Fantasy also doesn't have an economy problem. Don't get me wrong... they have problems, it's just not inflation. It's more like the players have created arbitrary value floors for items that don't make sense and they operate in a bubble of what an addon tells them the prices should remain at. They maintain the economy through gold sinks, like Norrington mentioned. Repair bills scale to item level in WoW. Every by the rules gold sale, they take a cut. Every auction house transaction, they take a cut. NPC Vendor items like mounts are priced based on inflation. Materials needed to use certain abilities are priced for a gold sink.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In WoW, even among the longest term of the players, it's rare to have a surplus of gold. There are the exceptions that have been playing the auction houses for years, but most players can't even afford the expensive items in game. The last few expansions they've released mounts that cost a lot of gold. Only a few people have them. They are gold sinks, but unique enough for players to buy them. Even the Youtubers that have pretty much lived in the game can't afford them. I've played WoW since vanilla and I think if I pooled all my gold I'd have about 30k. The super mount this expansion costs 5 mil.

Final Fantasy also doesn't have an economy problem. Don't get me wrong... they have problems, it's just not inflation. It's more like the players have created arbitrary value floors for items that don't make sense and they operate in a bubble of what an addon tells them the prices should remain at. They maintain the economy through gold sinks, like Norrington mentioned. Repair bills scale to item level in WoW. Every by the rules gold sale, they take a cut. Every auction house transaction, they take a cut. NPC Vendor items like mounts are priced based on inflation. Materials needed to use certain abilities are priced for a gold sink.
I have brought this up many times over the years. I think the economy is low on their list of priorities.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sell rates would easily be sub-penny per 10m by now if gold inflation was the primary driver.
Current real-world economic lockdowns more likely driving virtual demand to a (hopefully temporary) captive market.

Naxatilor Feluka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Lets not compare games, unless any of those other games are 23 years old, pioneering the genre, with rampant unattended scripting for resources and gold + duping for the majority of its lifetime. Yes prices are high for people to buy items. Care to hear about what is also high? Going to find expensive items and selling them. Its not an economy problem, its just some extra 0s due to the extreme profitability of unattended gathering and duping.

We have a limited developer resources and I would expect this problem to correct itself over time. As farming for gold and resources are now at unprofitable levels, unattended scripters will seek higher value items and the few gold sinks we do have will slowly remove gold from the game. [This in combination with the slightly more aggressive actions being taken on unattended scripting.]

All that being said, I think item insurance rates should be at least 10x what they are now. Maybe even a total gold %.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lets not compare games, unless any of those other games are 23 years old, pioneering the genre, with rampant unattended scripting for resources and gold + duping for the majority of its lifetime. Yes prices are high for people to buy items. Care to hear about what is also high? Going to find expensive items and selling them. Its not an economy problem, its just some extra 0s due to the extreme profitability of unattended gathering and duping.

We have a limited developer resources and I would expect this problem to correct itself over time. As farming for gold and resources are now at unprofitable levels, unattended scripters will seek higher value items and the few gold sinks we do have will slowly remove gold from the game. [This in combination with the slightly more aggressive actions being taken on unattended scripting.]

All that being said, I think item insurance rates should be at least 10x what they are now. Maybe even a total gold %.
The person I responded to was doing the comparison. And while not 23 years old, Both WoW and FF are old enough to have been affected by inflation. WoW has also been affected by gold farmers and scripting. "A limited dev team" doesn't mean it can't be criticized constructively.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

UO inflation was a known issue when there were PLENTY of Dev resources. But no one did a damn thing about it or this discussion wouldn't be here, would it?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Barely anyone had 1+ Mill back then (Pre-AoS) to just blow on ingots. Especially when orders for Valorite suits weren't that common. For the first 5 years, colored ore did nothing for armor but change the color, it wasn't until Pub 16 in 2002 that colored ore such as Valorite started affecting the AR of armor. By then, Orc Brutes were known to always drop a piece of Magic Platemail, which could go all the way up to Ind/Invuln (better than Valorite). A lot of people with Tamers used WWs/Dragons to farm Orc Brutes to gear up their Warriors. AoS came out a year after Pub 16.

Back then, i was one of the richest people on Napa with 11 Mill. I was able to acquire most of that gold through IDOCing and selling a lot of houses. My account was bugged to where i didn't have a house placing cooldown (1 week), so i could place a house, go to Brit Bank and sell it, then immediately place another house and sell that one was well. Most people couldn't do that, and eventually quite a few did get suspicious of how i was able to rapidly sell houses. Most people back then didn't have that kind of gold.

Last edited: