• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Inflation in UO? All I saw is Deflation!

M

MYUO

Houses are a lot cheaper. Good (not super uber) armors/weapons even arties are a lot cheaper. All Power Scrolls are a lot cheaper. Crafter generic items (potions, scrolls, furnitures, etc.) has not changed their prices for ages. The only items whose prices are going up are commodities (ingots, leathers, arrmow/bolts). Those probably due to the game mechanism changes (randomized ore/wood, bag of sending changes, NPC vendor changes). Certain items (white stuffies, certain rubbles, luna houses, etc.) are selling at stupid prices but they are vastly outnumbered by items that experice declining prices.

This is perfect time for a new player to start - gathering and processing resources can make a good living.

So what is the problem?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Houses are a lot cheaper. Good (not super uber) armors/weapons even arties are a lot cheaper. All Power Scrolls are a lot cheaper. Crafter generic items (potions, scrolls, furnitures, etc.) has not changed their prices for ages. The only items whose prices are going up are commodities (ingots, leathers, arrmow/bolts). Those probably due to the game mechanism changes (randomized ore/wood, bag of sending changes, NPC vendor changes). Certain items (white stuffies, certain rubbles, luna houses, etc.) are selling at stupid prices but they are vastly outnumbered by items that experice declining prices.

This is perfect time for a new player to start - gathering and processing resources can make a good living.

So what is the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, inflation, was somewhat addressed with the BoS changes and the scripter(s) ban.

The prices of houses and artis are dropping because there is a greater supply and less demand for both.

Commodities are high because there is a Lower Supply(from the resource randomization) for probably the same Demand

All three instances were created by recent work of the Developers, despite all the kicking and screaming!

I

imported_Goron

umm, everything you just said were signs of inflation.
Back in the day you could sit at tailor shop and make skullcaps for a few hours and buy a house for 10k (didnt they originally start at 2k? or were those tents? i forget). A house now costs how much now? much more than 10k.

Just because the price of a 7x7 in a player trade may be lower than before doesnt mean there is not inflation, that just means there is more space and the supply demand situation has changed. Inflation is still there. The house deed still costs more than before.

10 million gold on a production shard now is the equiv. to how much 7 years ago? I dont knwo but it much less. but monster loot has not changed much, thus it is harder for a newb to acquire a value of gold now than it was in the past due to inflation.

I have no problem with the economy as it is now (mind you im on siege where crafters matter), but its silly to pretend there is no inflation.

I

imported_Sarphus

Comparing the game economy of 10 yrs ago to the economy today doesn't show recent disinflation or deflation. It shows inflation over the time period of UO's release and current time.

I believe the OP is trying to point out a recent trend in the game economy where prices are dropping and gold is becoming more valuable. Obviously, inflation has happened between UO's release and current, but that hold absolutely no relevance to what the OP was talking about.

M

MYUO

10k for a house 10 years ago? Maybe, but when I started 8 years ago, a 7x7 cost a cool 200k. Now you can get a 18x18 for that price by placing it yourself. Sure the most "desired items" cost a lot but that is the same case years ago when a piece of phenix armor sells for 1mil, which is more than what most players have.

The point is, because of the smaller UO population (less demand), game mechanism changes and the play style of most of the players (pay for convinience and unwilling to mine/lumberjack/resource collecting), most of the items except commodities have experienced deflation. This has been going on for a couple of years now.

The gold sinks can provide players something interesting to buy with their gold and encourage them to hunt and loot monsters. But for the good of UO economy, the most effective action is to remove scripters/exploiters as they hold most of the gold in UO. A couple years ago, 15 trillion gold was removed from 200 exploiting accounts, that is average 75 billion gp per exploiting account. If that amount of gold is spreaded to all UO players (150k), each of us will get 100 million gp. Between gold sink and banning exploiters, I will choose banning without any hesitation. Gold sinks make no sense at all when exploiters are at large.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

10 million gold on a production shard now is the equiv. to how much 7 years ago? I dont knwo but it much less.

[/ QUOTE ]Nevermind 7 years ago, when I quit 4 years ago 5 mil was a decent chunk of change. High end arties were going for less than half of what they are now. Gold is (to a lot of people) nearly worthless. If that's not a sign of inflation I don't know what is.

G

<blockquote><hr>

So what is the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]
Whats the problem?

Oh, let me see....scripting, duping, cheating, a choice of a 10 year old or a 6 year old client, bugs from years ago unfixed, no publicity, little development.....everything a new player to UO could wish for! How about they stick that lot on the back of a box and see how well it sells.

M

MYUO

The problems that you listed have nothing to do with inflation nor economy, which are what I was asking.

G

Ok, so get EA to stick on the back of the box:

"UO - the game with scripting, duping, cheating, a choice of a 10 year old or a 6 year old client, bugs from years ago unfixed, no publicity, little development but hey .... for new players at least inflation is down. Theres never been a better time to start".

Thats like stating "Wow ... this 40 year old wreck of a car has a new set wiper blades on it ... theres never been a better time to give it to someone as their first car". Ignore the fact that the body is rusted to hell, the engine has siezed up, the exhaust has dropped off, it has no wheels etc etc. At least it has new wiper blades.

Whether inflation is up or down it is certainly NOT a good time to start playing UO. A good time to start playing UO will be when they fix all of the above. (as in the game, not the car).

G

Your topic has nothing to do with deflation. The term deflation describes when money is worth more today than it was yesterday, the opposite of inflation. When the prices of items go down it does not mean the value of money is increasing. House prices are lower because there is most space and not as many people buying. Armor prices are lower because of less demand for new stuff and it is easier to acquire.

True deflation won't happen unless a ton of new people start playing UO (hundreds of thousands) or an unimaginable amount of gold is taken out of the economy.

F

Fayled Dhreams

actually ... though not a "specific/nameable" number (unimaginable) ...

Reducing the amount of GP ingame ... regardless of # of players

Just cap ... the amount of excess gp allowed on vendors

vendors were not intended to be used as "banks"(follow link above and in there)
GP should at least count as 1 item (1million gp check) to store and manage ingame
IF there really is too much GP ingame ... and you want to get the "extra" gp out

Without a wipe of all gold,
without a tax,
without a "division" (divide all by 100, 10),
without a "conversion" (different coin platnum, silver, etc),
without a trade for Xgp for itemX type "drain"

Just cap ... the amount of excess gp allowed on vendors