• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

In danger from NPC’s?

Calla Lily

Journeyman
I’ve just returned to UO after many years away, and I do have the High Seas Booster. I see there are now Merchant and Pirate ships in the waters. Will they attack me if I happen to sail peacefully nearby? I stay in Trammel, so I’m only talking about the NPC ships. Are they like red brigands on land? I still have my lovely large dragon ship. Would I be better off to invest in one of the larger ships now available? What would be the benefit? I can see how there would be more room aboard if you sail with a group of people to take on the larger groups of monsters, but I’m on Chessy and can go days without seeing anyone else, much less another fisherman. And can the older ships like mine be painted with the new paints? Thanks in advance for any responses. Happy sailing!

Adrahil

Adventurer
I’ve just returned to UO after many years away, and I do have the High Seas Booster. I see there are now Merchant and Pirate ships in the waters. Will they attack me if I happen to sail peacefully nearby? I stay in Trammel, so I’m only talking about the NPC ships. Are they like red brigands on land? I still have my lovely large dragon ship. Would I be better off to invest in one of the larger ships now available? What would be the benefit? I can see how there would be more room aboard if you sail with a group of people to take on the larger groups of monsters, but I’m on Chessy and can go days without seeing anyone else, much less another fisherman. And can the older ships like mine be painted with the new paints? Thanks in advance for any responses. Happy sailing!
Welcome back! I returned to the game recently after 9+ years away myself. The very first day almost had my boat sunk. The Pirates will most certainly attack you. To my knowledge only the newer style boats can be painted and equip cannons, the old dragon ship style can not.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Merchants will not attack but pirates will attack. Boats can be repaired so no worries there. Old style ships are stuck as is but the new boats which can be purchased at the floating sea market can be painted and have canons equipped.

Calla Lily

Journeyman
Thank you for your answers. How do you use cannons to kill the sea monsters? And how do you attach the cannons to your ships? Do you place them like house add-ons? Well this is going to make fishing quite interesting! Where can I buy a rowboat? I've read the "boat" pages on UOGuide, and while it talks about rowboats, there's no mention of where to buy one. I've tried the Harbor Master in Skara, but they don't have any?

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you! So I have to sail my old shop to the sea market to buy the rowboat. I sailed there using my nifty new big ship, but I couldn’t get close enough to the docks to disembark. Already ran into an orc ship and got three tmaps from sea serpents :)
no, you can dock your big ship, you'll need to steer between the piers though :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I used to drive my old guildmates mad, by my ability to come up to the passage between haven and magincia, controlling the ship by character speech commands, and not only miss the Magincia docks, but slide into one of the boat slips perfectly, missing the buoys (and never slowing the boat). I would pull this off at lest 3/4 of the time, though these days I'm probably too out of practice to recognize the coordinates at which to make the last turn