• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Important steps before the Dev team goes any futhur!

• Thread starter ethanphillips
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
E

ethanphillips

In the midst of all the merges, new Custom Content feature and more! Along comes frusteration with this excitement, It must be corrected before we move along!Simply because if players cant update why play?

If players have to play after maintience due to Avatar leasing error, why play?

If you need to clear 8,814 objects from a cache MANUALLY why play?

It's becoming more of a hassle and deterant to play TSO with these issues at hand rather than a minor annoyance.

A game SHOULD run smoothy, not perfect but smoothly. However, I have to dig in my files to play this new game and clear out my cache too often!

Ive had major issues with CastaNet, and Verifying loops that prevent me from playing etc.

SO, before we move along in the midst of all the excitement the Dev team should look at the issues that have been created with each new feature.

1) FIX the updater issues, hardware or not, let's get this done!
2) Avatar Leasing errors, nuff' said.
3) Cache manually? Why not everytime you run TSO it AUTOMATICALLY clears your cache! or set limits.

Let's work through this transition from TSO to EA Land in a positive way and implement exciting features but take care of the those problems created FIRST before we have to rename EALand to BuggyLand!

G

How do you suggest they do what you suggest *and* work with the deadline that they MUST meet or the game will be shut down forever?

They can't.

So we as a community have a choice, we can either grit our teeth and bear the problems for the next month until the deadline passes and we find out the fate of our game, or you can cancel your account(s) and walk away, but don't suggest that the devs just throw in the towel on the entire game just because you want to throw in the towel on yours. That's just a selfish stance.

And before you ask, I'm right there with you with the castanet errors/updater-verify loop, and yes I'm frustrated after 12 hours on and off of trying, but I'm not about to suggest that the devs begrudge the other players who are at this moment in game their fun simply because *my* issues can't be fixed easily enough.

If the timeline was not an issue I'd be right along with you in suggesting what you suggest, and even did so when they sent the game live prematurely the first time after the original beta, but there IS a deadline, so waiting is just simply not an option if we want those who CAN play to be able to, regardless of how many of us can't.

G

Ethan,
You have to realize that EA has picked up this game for most likely next to nothing. Maxis and TSO want as far away from this game as possible. As I have said before in other posts, you are taking programming and code from 2004 and trying to bring it into code from 2008. Th merge must happen by X date. There is no way around it. EA has enough games out there they don't need this one if there are delays. Besides, think of this one. They fix all the errors. The game is running the best ever. Then, AV gets merged and all the errors come right back. Wouldn't it make sense to merge as fast as possible and then fix the errors?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Well, the updater problem really has more to do with the variety of software programs we are running on our personal computers.

I understand from Mr. Fancy that my problem with updating is similar or the same as what others are getting and it's probably something in the software setting in my computer which is preventing it from correctly downloading and installing the game.

I'm getting a list of specs for my computer from HP with what was installed on my machine to forward to the devs so that they can review it and determine how EA can adjust to make a more smooth update in the future.

We still have more cities to merge....EAland and TC3 have to move to new servers....and then we are all down hill....Gas up the convertable...put the top down and enjoy the ride from there.

After years of no update at all, then a of crappy exploit that ruined the economy, endless discussions and tons and tons of work by the EALand Team....we are almost there.

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

In the midst of all the merges, new Custom Content feature and more! Along comes frusteration with this excitement, It must be corrected before we move along!Simply because if players cant update why play?
<font color="red"> I have the update issue weekly, I still play, and I love every moment of it. And when I can't get in, I work on something else sims related to waste time until I can play. </font>

<font color="red"> Because one day away won't be the end of the world.</font>

<font color="red"> Maybe because it’s a part of life. Then again if you feel "Manually" cleaning it out is that hard, maybe you shouldn't be playing? </font>

It's becoming more of a hassle and deterant to play TSO with these issues at hand rather than a minor annoyance.
<font color="red"> I don't see these as hassles, as much as I see them as the beginning of a brighter future. One I am completely supportive of. </font>

A game SHOULD run smoothy, not perfect but smoothly. However, I have to dig in my files to play this new game and clear out my cache too often!
<font color="red"> You are right. However, I find it worth it, because the changes will make this game so much better than what it has been for 3 years. </font>

Ive had major issues with CastaNet, and Verifying loops that prevent me from playing etc.
<font color="red"> me too... </font>

SO, before we move along in the midst of all the excitement the Dev team should look at the issues that have been created with each new feature.

<font color="red"> I'm sure this will be important after the merges are finally complete.
</font>
<font color="red"> No point is saying anything, you said nuff'
</font>
3) Cache manually? Why not everytime you run TSO it AUTOMATICALLY clears your cache! or set limits.
<font color="red"> lol...so what happens when they try and do this and it causes another issue? Will you be frustrated about that also?
</font>

Let's work through this transition from TSO to EA Land in a positive way and implement exciting features but take care of the those problems created FIRST before we have to rename EALand to BuggyLand!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying that we all know what the problems are, I would be surprised if the Dev’s didn’t. But there is more to the picture than problems and solutions, and since I don’t write codes I’m trying to remain patient until all the merges are complete. </font>

S

SugarCane

Yeah, no doubt there's a lot of problems but I just LOVE this game! I only just found it 3 months ago and I really hope it will keep on!

G

The dev team was handed a game not updated for 3 years. Could you imagine what any other game would look like code wise after 3 years of nothing? I am still amazed this game survived this. WHEN CODE IS CHANGED, PROBLEMS WILL POP UP!!!!! I used to program a long time ago. If you make 1 change to a line of code, it will affect code all the way down. People don't realize this. If in the begining of the code X=1... then you change it to X=2. Anything referring back to the X=1 will have an error. You cannot expect the dev team to go over every inch of code for this game. That is impossible. Or if they could, damn they need a life.

Give the team a break. They have been working non-stop on all issues since they opened EA-Land. They are working more now since the merges are happening and all these errors are coming up.

Do you actually think the dev team has no idea about the verify loop?
Do you actually think they have no idea about the CastaNet issue?
Economy?
Missing Objects/CC?

I can keep going with everything I have read here. If you can do it better, get a job and give them a hand. If not, get out of their way and let them be!

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I believe once they move us to the east coast servers some of our updater problems maybe be resolved.

They devs are very familiar with the avata leasing error and I'm sure they are trying to find a solution.

As a solution to the avatar leasing errors would you like to see them reset houses once every two hours to auto boot everyone out so that stuck sims will be freed? It is quite apparent that the afk stores and many skill lots will not voluntarily reset houses.

I discussed the cache issue with developers in Town Hall. They are aware of the problem and I would assume are working on a fix for it. They need to at least create a cleanup tool for less computer savvy players to download that will clean their caches for them.

While all these fixes are on the works, I think it is great they gave us a game to play!

G

<blockquote><hr>

The dev team was handed a game not updated for 3 years. Could you imagine what any other game would look like code wise after 3 years of nothing? I am still amazed this game survived this. WHEN CODE IS CHANGED, PROBLEMS WILL POP UP!!!!! I used to program a long time ago. If you make 1 change to a line of code, it will affect code all the way down. People don't realize this. If in the begining of the code X=1... then you change it to X=2. Anything referring back to the X=1 will have an error. You cannot expect the dev team to go over every inch of code for this game. That is impossible. Or if they could, damn they need a life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail on the head. I'm not a game coder, never have been, but this same statement holds true for HTML work, which I regularly. If you change a URL in one place, but not others then all the rest of the links will be broken, or change to a graphic with a different name then all references to the old graphic will be broken, etc. etc. etc. If the dev team was 5 times larger than it is with enough people able to look at the code and not have it look similiar to something one sees in 'The Matrix' coding with the naked eye, then *maybe* these errors could be fixed faster and more efficiently, but when a company......ANY company.....is forced to work on a shoestring budget, as our current dev team is, then this kind of stuff is gonna happen. If you really must be pissed off at someone, then fire off an e-mail to EA corporate about how neglectful they've been to TSO, and how they need to be putting more devs on this game because of the undue stress it's putting on the current dev team, or in the alternative suggest that the current dev teams budget be tripled.

I

imported_Danny Dots

i just dont see how they expect new players and returning players to stay with these issue. I am a returning player and I am dealing with all of their issues but being an online gamer, i know other games dont have these issues. Whats going to make a player stay here when they can't update, can't download, and sometimes get stuck. When they can just hop into a similar game like SL without these issues.

G

Bingo. But I doubt EA will do anything. Rumor has it that EA will cut TSO if they don't meet the deadlines that they have instilled. Meaning, the mergers have to be done by x date. Move EA Land to East Coast by X date. While all this is going on, you have people who are beating the poor dev team down because of these issues. How would you (I am talking in general... not to you... the reader) to go to work tomorrow and spend your entire day getting e-mails saying how bad of a job you are doing. You should listen to Person A even though they have no concept of your job or what the hell you do. The Dev team is human trying to work at an extremely fast rate. They play this game and from everything I have read, want this game to stick around for a long time. If they didn't care about the game or the players, why would they put up with all this crap?

G

<blockquote><hr>

i just dont see how they expect new players and returning players to stay with these issue. I am a returning player and I am dealing with all of their issues but being an online gamer, i know other games dont have these issues. Whats going to make a player stay here when they can't update, can't download, and sometimes get stuck. When they can just hop into a similar game like SL without these issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been fighting with castanet errors and update issues for the last 14 hours. As soon as I woke up, I got right back on it, and continue to have castanet errors. Yes, there are other games I can play, and do play, but none of them have some of the unique features that TSO has, so none of them fill the needs that TSO fills, just like TSO doesn't fill the needs that the other games I play fill. What I've always said, and I believe this to be true, is that the majority of problems are caused by people putting all their eggs in one basket, result being that when there's an issue with TSO, there's NOTHING else for them to do...of course that's gonna frustrate people! If people had other things to do, even things away from the computer (if some people even step away from their computers from sun up to sun down), then it would be 'hmm, TSO is messing up....time to go do something else for a bit, but man that's frustrating', instead of *this part not directed at you, Danny* "I'm borrrrrrrrrrred I can't play my game so I'm gonna yell and scream on the boards until the problem gets fixed, cuz maybe if I make the devs, and the other players, crazy enough, they'll fix the problems faster!" Why certain players havent' figured out that this has never, nor is ever, gonna work is totally beyond me.

G

Has anyone else noticed that since Ethan started this post, he hasn't posted back in here since? Kinda off if you ask me.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I am assuming that you mean you are deleting these files individually or in small groups - if that is not the case, then don't read this post.

After opening the cache folder, click the "Edit" button on the drop down menu. Click on "Select All". All of the files will now be highlighted.
Right click on any file and select "Delete". All of the files will be deleted automatically (sent to the Recycle Bin).

Alternatively, after "Select All", you can click on "Edit" again, then "Cut". This will have the same result.

The game CANNOT be running when you do this.

G

A very easy way of clearing the cache (and I know many others do this as well) that I use:

I open Electronic Arts\EALand\TSOClient\userdata\custom_content_cache\
Right-click folder called objects and choose Send to --&gt; Desktop (create shortcut)

Now, every day before logging in, I open the object folder on my desktop and delete the ea_land folder (possibly also a folder for TC3, if you have visited there) inside.

Cache cleared.

M

maximumNugget

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> oh i have something to say about this too

There are programs ( free ones too ! ) that do clean out the cache
file ! and as far as the rest, well MUMS IS THE WORD ! </font>

I

imported_CherryBomb

I hear where the tech-savvy people are coming from, but if you want a large customer base, you have to make the game butt simple to play. I mean click one icon, and you are good to go. As it is, this game is *so* not live.

CherryBomb

E

ethanphillips

It is called a real life, you know, work &amp; studies &amp; social life?
Sorry I couldn't respond so quickly as you wanted me to.

I said what I had to say.
Look here, TSO-E has been updated with avatar leasing error fixes? and Updater fixed with new hardware?

Such a timely manor, and for that I was shocked. Thank you EA for paying attention to these issues.