• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

IMPORTANT regarding +5 skill/stat bonus gift

S

SirLynxx

no doubt since the 5 statis only truely affective if you use it after you get a 25 scroll! or atleast that is how i took the explination when they first started talking about them!

C

Chinalilly

Actually, I believe they said that they won't be "accumulative", meaning that if you use the +5, and then use a +10, you will only have +10, not +15. And I believe they also said that the cap would still be the 250 stat points.

E

EricOfRhavyn

It is only "accumulative" for the gift that OSI is giving. It is stated in many places that if you use a +25 stat scroll you will still be able to use the +5 that OSI gives to get +30 However if you use the OSI gift before using a +25 you will not get the benefit of an additional +5. SO go ahead and spend 7 Mil on a +25 and use it then get the one from OSI if it ever comes out6 and use it and Viola you are now 255 Stat cap!

C

Cyne

<blockquote><hr>

SO go ahead and spend 7 Mil on a +25

<hr></blockquote>
... which is a problem for those that don't have 7 mill (or more like 20 mill) for a +25 stat scroll at the moment...

X

Xavior

From what I got out of it, that the +5 Stat scroll... was STILL cumulative, even if you don't use a +25 first...

Ex: I have used a +20 on my main char. I then Use the +5, I now have +25. However, If I want to get to +30 I have to still use a +25.

What they meant by NOT cumulative, was that you couldn't use the +5 and get another one and +5 and another one and +5 all they way to +250. You had to use the correct "Harrower Scroll" to get to the max.

I'll go read it again and make sure.

After reading it again, it doesn't say anything like that.. LOL.. Maybe I'll just shut up.. but that would be stupid if it didn't add to your current STATS.. AND allow you to use a +25 later on.

C

Cyne

Well you can kind of see how it works..
The +5 stat gift simply adds 5 to whatever you're on at the moment without checking what it's at currently.
The normal +x stat scroll sets it to the absolute value of the scroll unless you're already at a higher level...
Therefore you have to use the scroll first and the gift second to get the maximum bonus out of it.

So the logic is sound, but whether it's a sensible or player-friendly way of doing it is another matter.

W

Wicked_Seraphim

Here is the info on how the skill/stat stuff works:

<blockquote><hr>

Item #2

In addition to whatever they choose for Item #1, each character will be able to choose from the following:
A scroll good for +5 to any skill of the player’s choice
This will act as an immediate 5 point skill gain in any skill.
This scroll will not raise a skill over its current skill cap.
A scroll good for +5 to their stat cap.
Note: Unlike the Stat Scrolls of Power from champion spawns, the +5 skill scroll gift literally will add 5 points to your character’s current Stat cap, regardless of wherever that cap currently is. In fact, players who achieved a 250 Stat cap from using the champion spawn’s +25 Stat Scroll of Power could then use this new +5 gift scroll to achieve a new cap of 255.
These items will be usable only once, and the effects will be permanent. These scrolls will be non-transferable, meaning it will only work for the original character who claimed it.

Remember, each character will get two gifts (one from the Item #1 list and one from the Item #2 list)! Item #1 can be traded, but Item #2 will only work for the claiming character, and will be consumed on use.

<hr></blockquote>

M

Megalon

They're supposed to be scrolls and I'll bet there's a gump that appears when you double click them (like how the power scrolls have a confirmation gump).

Also, I have holiday gift scrolls from years ago and they still work just fine, so why wouldn't these?

M

Megalon

<blockquote><hr>

... which is a problem for those that don't have 7 mill (or more like 20 mill) for a +25 stat scroll at the moment...

<hr></blockquote>
I tradded an 18x18 plot for a +25 stat scroll last week. The person that traded me bought the stat scroll from a 3rd party for 15 million because I wouldn't accept gold (only the scroll).

C

Cyne

Well I had a look at cliloc.enu and I have reason to believe from the text that appears in there that they're NOT scrolls. However, I'm not absolutely sure and this is why I would like a developer response on this.

The text that will appear in the gift gump that gave me this impression is as follows :-

<blockquote><hr>

"You have now received your item of clothing or rose. Now you may select to increase a skill by 5 points or to increase your stat cap by 5 points. This can only be done once, so choose carefully! This bonus cannot increase a skill above its normal cap! If you wish to cancel and select a gift later, click "CANCEL" below, or simply right-click this menu. You will be able to make your choice next time you log in."
"Yes! Please buff me up right now!"
"No. I need to get a power scroll first."

<hr></blockquote>

You can draw your own conclusions from that.

I

imported_Vex

Here's some more detailed info that should clear up how the AoS Launch Gift feature works.

First off, only characters of a certain age will be able to claim these gifts, and there will be a limited window during which characters are given the gifts. I'm not going to be more specific here, as the point of setting up this character age and gift giving window is to prevent character creation for the sole purpose of creating gift items to trade. Suffice it to say that any character you create now will not receive the gift, but any character that already existed up to and a few weeks after the AoS publish will.

In order to claim your gifts, you have to log in your character between the launch of Publish 18 and Publish 19. However, once you've logged in and gotten the "launch gift flag" then there is no time limit to actually claiming the gifts. You will be prompted on each login thereafter to claim your gifts, until such a time as you actually claim them. That means you have all the time you need to obtain any power scrolls before choosing a skill bonus.

The gifts are delivered through a "wizard". At each step you make a choice. Once you've made all selections relevant to a gift, you get a confirmation window showing all the choices you made. You can back out or continue. If you close the wizard without choosing a gift, then you'll be prompted on next login (even after Publish 19 -- once you get the prompt you'll be prompted forever, until you choose your items).

The first gift given is the wearable item or rose with custom engravings and color. Once you've chosen that item, you proceed to the second gift. Here you are given the choice to increase a skill by 5 points, or to increase your stat cap permanently and cumulatively by 5.

The skill or stat cap increase happens immediately when you confirm your choice and is not delivered as a scroll or other item. The wizard will not let you attempt to increase a skill that is capped. Also, if you are at your total skill cap, the wizard checks to see if you have enough skills set to lower so that you can gain your chosen skill. (It also requires that your chosen skill actually be set to raise.) Also, if the skill you've chosen to increase is within 5 points of its cap (meaning you won't get the full 5 points gain) you'll be warned about it but allowed to continue if you want to.

The stat cap increase is cumulative with power scroll stat cap increases. If you gain +5 now through this gift, bringing your cap to 230, then if you use a +10 scroll later your cap will go up to 240. The maximum possible stat cap is now 255, which you can get by the +5 from this gift and a +25 scroll (used in any order).

So, to recap: Your character must have existed before now in order to claim launch gifts. To claim the gift, all you have to do is log in between Pub 18 and Pub 19. Once you have logged the character in and the character has received the gift prompt, you can cancel the gift wizard and select your gift on next login. The prompt does not expire -- once your character is recognized as a gift recipient, you can choose your gift right then or wait until weeks or months later. The gift wizard will not allow you to mistakenly blow your skill increase on a capped or close-to-capped skill. The stat cap increase is cumulative with power scrolls, so you can't lose it by using a bigger stat cap power scroll.

Please reply to this message with any further questions. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

S

sicktimmy

So it would be like this:

My current stat cap is at 225...
I use the +5 stat AoS gift putting me at 230 total.

Now -
If I use a +5 harrower stat scroll I am at 235
If I use a +10 harrower stat scroll I am at 240
If I use a +15 harrower stat scroll I am at 245
If I use a +20 harrower stat scroll I am at 250
If I use a +25 harrower stat scroll I am at 255

correct?

C

Cyne

That's the best possible news. Thank you Vex.
No further questions /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

C

Cyne

Looking at this section of Vex's reply...
<blockquote><hr>

The stat cap increase is cumulative with power scroll stat cap increases. If you gain +5 now through this gift, bringing your cap to 230, then if you use a +10 scroll later your cap will go up to 240. The maximum possible stat cap is now 255, which you can get by the +5 from this gift and a +25 scroll (used in any order).

<hr></blockquote>
... I'd say that's correct for sure.

E

EricOfRhavyn

.......and then there are those rare ocaisions whan I am glad I am wrong......

G

<blockquote><hr>

<hr></blockquote>

Before it was said the cap was still a hard 250 unles you already used a +25 before getting this +5 bonus. Now it has been changed so if you get the +5 Stat now you can use harrower scrolls to get up to 255?

G

Whoa. This is different than what's been described before. I'm a hoarder by nature, I think - I hold on to things patiently until I'm ready. That's why I have (2) 3-year accounts and all my vet rewards left because I can buy ethy's now and get a better reward later.

So I would probably hold on this +5 stat reward until I managed to get some +25 stats first, then use the +5 reward so as not to waste it. But you're telling me now I can go ahead and use it? Previously it was implied that you had to use the +25 first then the +5 to get a +30, and using them in the opposite order would result inthe +5 being overwritten by the +25, leaving me with only +25.

G

Cyne posted that the following is in the latest cliloc.enu:<blockquote><hr>

"Yes! Please buff me up right now!"
"No. I need to get a power scroll first."

<hr></blockquote>If the stat cap is cumulative regardless of the order used, what does "No. I need to get a power scroll first" mean?

M

Mithy

The +5 scroll we will be getting as a "We screwed up AoS" gift is cummulative. It will increase your max 5 points.
The scrolls you get from the Harrower spawn are NOT '+' anything, they are improperly named. A "+25" stat scroll is actually a "250 max stat" scroll. Using it will make your max stats 250.
So if you use the +5 scroll first, you will have max stats of 230. Then if you use a "250 max stat" scroll, it will make your max stats 250 (an increase of only 20 points.
Doing it the other way around, the "250" first, then the +5, will give you 255 points max stats.

M

MinorMage

"If the stat cap is cumulative regardless of the order used, what does "No. I need to get a power scroll first" mean?"

It means two things:

a) They have changed the way they are going to do the stat caps.

b) They have no clue on what they are doing.

I will let you all decide.

I do know one thing. It's going to be screwed up regardless.

R

Red_Falcon

Vex,
Thanks for the info, but we are a bit confused.. We just want to make sure it doesn't matter which stat bonus we would use first? It was originally said that you should use a stat power scroll first and then the gift. But now you are saying it differently.. So does it truly matter what order we do stat bonus's? It would be nice to take the +5 stat gift and then get the stat power scroll later. or vise versa.. so what about this senario? if I use a +10 stat power scroll from harrower, then i use the +5 stat gift to get me to 240. what if later i get a +20 stat power scroll and use that? will i then be at 250 or 245?

S

SirFist

<blockquote><hr>

Suffice it to say that any character you create now will not receive the gift, but any character that already existed up to and a few weeks after the AoS publish will.

<hr></blockquote>Will name changes have any effect on account age or ability to receive a gift? Since part 1 of the reward is tagged with a character name, some may want to get a name change in before the rewards are given out.

C

Cyne

Following an examination of the text in the new client patch it *APPEARS* that the +5 skill/stat gift will NOT in fact be an item that you can use at any time but will instead be an option only available through the gift choice menu!
Please could a dev confirm or deny this?

I'd say this is fairly significant as the menu will only be available for a short time and people may want to buy stat scrolls/train skills etc before the gift becomes unavailable.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Thank you for the comprehensive reply, Vex. :)

I am going to sticky this for a day or two, lest it get lost in the shuffle.

C

Cyne

<blockquote><hr>

So if you use the +5 scroll first, you will have max stats of 230. Then if you use a "250 max stat" scroll, it will make your max stats 250 (an increase of only 20 points.

<hr></blockquote>
Erm... not any more.. read Vex's post in this thread. Or are you disagreeing with the game designers? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

S

SirWillow

Thanks for the clarifications Vex. I do have a couple of other questions for you about it:

Will these gifts be going to all characters that meet the deadlines, or only to those on accounts that have upgraded to AoS (since they're supposed to be AoS related gifts)

Also, on a more personal note, what about those that have recently reactivated accounts? My account took a 4-5 month hiatus, including during the time of the AoS launch, but it now reactivated. However, I was only able to upgrade it to AoS about 2-3 weeks ago. Is that going to exclude me, or will my characters be eligible for the gifts?

I know that may be more info that you might be able to give at this point, but I do thank you for your time.

T

Triezee

test is up for launch gift .i think they did a great job doing it ,i have done all reward justa few .i did the +5 skill gain ,was a gump ,did a nice job at it as well .as to speak first set or rewards is awsome,first char i loged in an checked was for the roses .i picked roses gump came up for name etc,colored i pick was neon green rose/now on the sandals colors are diff from tbod rewardsan there also blessed .i noticed u can also de them from a dye tub .

G

Thank You very much Vex!!!
Its Stats on all my characters except my Crafters which will get skillz!(Yay I can finally GM tinkering!)

K

kreysig

If one were to use the +5 gift, then a +10 scroll - thus getting a stat cap of 240, would the stat cap go up to 255 if, at a later date, the character used a +25 stat scroll? Or would the "cumulative" effect only apply to the first Harrower scroll used?

G

I will be interested in finding out what date this cutoff is. My account is over 3 years old.... but after AoS came out I have been deleting characters and creating new classes (paladins, necros etc). I would be kinda unhappy to find out that this has disqualified them from the promotion! I think the last one I deleted and created over again is about two weeks old now.

I think it fine that you put this kind of limit on what chars are eligible.... but hey you got to warn people! Did I miss a notice? I have been trying to read everything but may have missed it?

If today was the warning that all chars created today or later then ok.... but to suddenly say hey all those chars you recreated a couple of weeks ago are now ineligible seems sorta rude.

C

Chinalilly

<blockquote><hr>

I am going to sticky this for a day or two, lest it get lost in the shuffle.

<hr></blockquote>

A prime reason why we need Post Bump feature on this forum/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Yes, I know it's in the works, but can you light a fire under someone?/php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

C

Chinalilly

<blockquote><hr>

Suffice it to say that any character you create now will not receive the gift, but any character that already existed up to and a few weeks after the AoS publish will.

<hr></blockquote>

YES!!! Thank you for that!/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

L

Lexi

<blockquote><hr>

I will be interested in finding out what date this cutoff is.

<hr></blockquote>

Tested already =) Only characters made pre-AoS or pre-upgrade to AoS will have the choices available, so only people with characters on Baja that were pre-AoS will have the choices available on Test Center =(

G

"Tested already =) Only characters made pre-AoS or pre-upgrade to AoS will have the choices available, so only people with characters on Baja that were pre-AoS will have the choices available on Test Center =( "

Great..... does OSI have a whole department designed to frick people over or just a few volunteers?

I

imported_Vex

<blockquote><hr>

If the stat cap is cumulative regardless of the order used, what does "No. I need to get a power scroll first" mean?

<hr></blockquote>

That message only appears when selecting a skill increase.

I

imported_Vex

<blockquote><hr>

Will name changes have any effect on account age or ability to receive a gift? Since part 1 of the reward is tagged with a character name, some may want to get a name change in before the rewards are given out.

<hr></blockquote>

No, name changes won't affect your character age or ability to receive the gifts.

The name of your character at the time you choose the gift will be stamped on that gift. If you change your name, the name on the gift item won't change. I will forward this concern to those who handle name changes and ask if they will be able to change the name stamped on the item at the same time.

I

imported_Vex

<blockquote><hr>

Will these gifts be going to all characters that meet the deadlines, or only to those on accounts that have upgraded to AoS (since they're supposed to be AoS related gifts)

<hr></blockquote>

No, upgrade to AoS is not required.

<blockquote><hr>

Also, on a more personal note, what about those that have recently reactivated accounts? My account took a 4-5 month hiatus, including during the time of the AoS launch, but it now reactivated. However, I was only able to upgrade it to AoS about 2-3 weeks ago. Is that going to exclude me, or will my characters be eligible for the gifts?

<hr></blockquote>

Account age has no bearing. It's all about character age (i.e. real-life time since character creation). All of your characters that existed before the cutoff (whether the account was active or not) are eligible.

G

So the skill increase is more skill points, not an increase in the cap for that skill?

T

TeamScheme

The way I've read it is:

If we've used a Harrower Stat Scroll +20, which puts us to 245, then use an AoS Stat Boost +5, it will put us at 250.

But if we use the AoS Stat Boost +5, which puts us to 230, then a Harrower Stat Scroll +20, we still only end up at 245, as the Harrower scroll will NOT stack on the AoS boost.

Can a dev confirm if this is correct or incorrect please?

J

Johnny Canuck

I'm in the same boat. I deleted and created new characters as well. My latest creation was 3 weeks ago. I wanted to outfit this new character with a piece of clothing with his name on it.

I just logged in on the baja test (my home shard) and no gift available for him.

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif Also there was no PINK to choose from in the colour list! (wanted pink sandels)

** If today was the cut off day for character creation. Then everything would be fine and good.

I

imported_Vex

Just to be more clear: It doesn't matter at all whether you use the +5 stat cap from the gift first, or a stat cap power scroll first. The +5 from the gift adds on to whatever the scroll gives you. If you upgrade your power scroll stat cap increase, you won't lose the additional +5 from the gift. The +5 gift stat cap stays forever.

I

imported_Vex

<blockquote><hr>

on the sandals colors are diff from tbod rewardsan there also blessed

<hr></blockquote>

All the launch gift items are blessed. The selection of hues is the same as the "elemental colors" found on weapons that have damage type conversions. That range of hues doesn't exist anywhere else except on magic weapons and now these gift items.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<hr></blockquote>

Whining works, yay!

I

imported_Vex

<blockquote><hr>

So the skill increase is more skill points, not an increase in the cap for that skill?

<hr></blockquote>

Yes. The skill increase selection actually increases a skill by 5 points (up to that skill's cap). It does not increase a skill cap.

R

Red_Falcon

Thanks so much for making it this way.. And thanks for the clarification. I was confused because it was stated differently before.. thanks again

F

Fujur

Good lord!

That's what I call a very through reply. How can I have questions after you've posted every possible scenario? LOL!
<blockquote><hr>

<hr></blockquote>Thank you sooooooo much!!! This is the single best piece of news in a long time. I feel like I should drive down and buy a 10-foot wide Mangia pizza for whoever decided it was going to be cummulative. This is awesome!... THANK YOU!!!

F

Fireburst

Hmmm... I'm fairly new to the game and my account is only 1 month old. I hope that I will have squeezed in for the gifts or I won't be a happy bunny.

P

Psychopath

I dont think that this is very well thought out.
the time limit of characters in existence is not really relevant. we are all here. we have bought aos. give us our gifts for all character on our accounts. no matter how long they have existed. what was your reasoning for this? so that no one could create 5 characters on every shard? fair enough. but not fair to those that have created new paladins and whatnot after the time limit you are allowing.

not scrolls? why? so basically the skill increase is useless to those at lower lvls? thats my thoughts on it anyhow. I would much rather have a scroll that I can keep until I need it like when I finally reach gm taming and I beleive thats what most ppl want.