• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Important information for leather/scale gatherers - Harvester Blade

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This will eventually get added to the relevant FAQs and guides, but here's the quick summary.

The Harvester's Blade is a 2-handed weapon gained from turning in a plucked turkey (random rare turkey kill, or destruction of giant turkey egg, drop) to a butcher in any of the Trammel cities (possibly other facets - not tested).
  • The weapon in all respects appears to be a specially-colored Elven Spellblade (fencing weapon, STR requirement 35, two-handed, weight 5 stone).
  • The weapon has Spell Channeling with no Faster Casting penalty, but no other mods. They can be imbued with other mods, nut are best used as a tool in your backpack.
  • For its "Harvester" role, it can be kept in the backpack - it does not need to be Wielded (like the Butcher's War Cleaver).
  • With the coding of the Harvester's Blade, the long standing "63 item" and "350-ish stone weight" bugs that left cut leather in corpses from the Butcher's War Cleaver and Skinning Knife were finally fixed as well - however, this means you can now put yourself overweight using these tools.
  • Unlike the other tools, it harvests ALL of the following, if present from carving the corpse: Meat (ribs, raw birds, etc. not yet tested on fish), Dragon Blood, Scales, Feathers, Leather (as cut leather).
  • Not only does it gather all of these directly into your pack, it also gives a 10% bonus to the amount for ALL items harvested - not just the leather. This means that a dragon will give 8 scales, 22 leather (if the blade user is an Elf or Gargoyle), and 10% more Dragon's blood and meat.
  • Humans get that bonus on top of their normal bonus, which means that the bonus can be greater than a simple +20% (+10% from being human, +10% from the blade), for the following reason...
    ---The 10% bonus for humans is +1 leather per 10 leather, or fraction thereof (be it 1, 9 or anything in between). So, 10 becomes 11, 12 becomes 14, etc.
    ---The 10% bonus from the blade works the same way.
    ---In the hands of a human, the blade actually uses the HUMAN base for the blade's 10% bonus, so that a Greater Dragon (which gives a base 30 leather) gives 37 leather, not 36. 30 gets +3 from being human, then +4 (+3 from the 30, and +1 more from the 3) from the blade.
Needless to say, this reinforces previous determinations that leather-gathering characters should be human (from the bonus, plus the Strong Back weight allowance), as not only will humans get even more of an edge, the Strong Back attribute will provide better safety margins when dealing with the usually unwanted meat popping into the pack (not to mention Dragon's blood, which you may need for a Mysticism caster, but typically you won't be after when hunting for leather).

B

Beastmaster

What about furs and pelts? And has anyone found a use for furs yet?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Basara I can confirm they are able to be imbued. I put HLA on mine!

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the drill for turning plucked turkey in for Harvester Blade? Do i just go to a butcher and drop the plucked bird on him or do I haveto get a quest to redeem for Blade?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
you just drop the plucked turkey on him...

And before someone asks, yes the butcher knows the difference between a plucked turkey and the SA plucked chicken.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the info Basara!

I was planning on keeping the plucked turkey for tablescape deco, but when I saw you could get feathers in your pack with one click, I went for the Harvester:)

I was just getting ready to Imbue with -20 Mage, then remebered I would have to first PoF it to 255 first. Then I remembered that you said it can be used w/o equipping it, so why waste the ingreds and PoF...

D

DiEx80

you just drop the plucked turkey on him...

And before someone asks, yes the butcher knows the difference between a plucked turkey and the SA plucked chicken.
Where do ya get a plucked turkey at?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The plucked turkey was a rare loot from the event Giant Turkeys, or even rarer, from breaking the Giant Turkey Eggs in their nests (found using the ornithologist maps).

The Turkeys are gone, but the map part of the event is still going on, till next publish. So if you have any maps left over from the Turkey event, you can do them in the hopes of getting a plucked turkey.

There are also reports that they can come from the Cornucopeas from the event, but I've not got a turkey that way, from 23 of the things yet (or about 350-400 pulls of items, counting the 10 initial charges, and charges regenerated back), but that could just be bad luck or a really low chance of a drop.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Confirmation of getting a plucked turkey from the cornucopia. I have 8 cornucopias, and after pulling food stuff from them for about 2 weeks, every day when I log in, I FINALLY got 1 plucked turkey yesterday when I logged in. Didn't realize I could trade it.. will do that tonight. :)

That's a lot of food, mind you. anyone hungry?