• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Imbuning and exceptional

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am about to craft some black staffs and imbun them for my sampire champ slayer char .... that I'm converting from swords to mace.

The other day I was given some very useful and helpful advice, I copied the info and put it away nice and safe.
Because I had it all in a doc I didnt really read or take in any of the info, knowing that I was not making the weps for a few days.

Now of course I can't find the doc.

I'm sure I was told NOT to start by crafting exceptional staffs, and was given a good reason.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this good reason may have been, and maybe offer any other tips before I start.....

Or was it TO MAKE/USE exceptional staffs ..... ?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Exceptional items always have more room to imbue properties, so go with exceptional ones

Reactions: Pix

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The npc vendor weapon is not exceptional. There is no damage increase property, so you can add other properties instead.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thought i remember reading of something called "a whetstone of something or other" that removes the damage increase on exceptional weapons just for this purpose

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
An NPC black staff has a weight cap of 550, while exceptionally crafted is 600.

If you want to get rid of Damage Increase entirely, you want to use a Whetstone of Enervation.

Also, if you really want to get fancy, you can tailor your staves further by crafting 100% elemental ones using oak saws. This can get very expensive, very quickly however :p

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any two handed weapon has close to max imbue available so a non exceptional one will not have damage increase and will save ya the whetstone to remove it at a minor loss of imbue points. (I think heheh)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How does everybody know a goal of this imbue is no DI? I didn't see that in the OP

Innessa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The reason they told you to not make exceptional weapons was so that DI wasn't added. If you dont want DI on your weapon, this is one way to do it. The tradeoff is that the weapon will have less imbuing "weight" so you wont be able to fit as many properties on later.

The alternative is to make the weapon exceptional and then use a whetstone of enervation on it to remove the DI after its crafted, but whetstones can be pricey (5-8m per stone on atlantic)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe. I've never had a suit with no need of any DI at all on weapons, but I guess it's something to consider, to leave room for another property instead

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
That was the reason ... to side-step the DI ....

Many thanks for the help ...

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I quite crafting after imbuing came out,
My first character back in 99 was a blacksmith/ carpenter

So if I understand this thread correctly if want to craft a weapon that I can enhance the max amount of property's on I first start by
Make an exceptionally weapon
Either buy Whetstone for 8mil or grind for months trying to get one
Remove damage increase then imbue it?

Just wondering who and why would anyone think to do it this way?
It seem to me that as a legendary smith I should be able to add DI or not...
why do they keep adding more grinds, complex systems ?
Haven't talked about reforging either

One system for all this would be far more simple why do we have to have multiple skills, recipes, resources, and grind for months if not years to craft a good suit ?

I understand now why most people are just using legendary artifacts that the multi boxes sale.

Crafting should be able to make the best items in game with the exception of a few rare artifacts that drop in your backpack.