• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Imbuing Training.... had no idea it was so expensive....

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I finally decided to get into imbuing and started my training.

Wow, I am impressed, I had no idea it was so incredibly expensive........

I started from 50, got to 60 with unravelling, then since gains were slow I started inbuing luck (citrine and residue).

Well, now I am 70 so gained 10 points through imbuing but in citrine jewels alone (I had some residue from unravelling), I already spent like half a million in purchasing citrines at NPC jewellers.

How much it cost to make 120, maybe some 20 millions ???

Is there a way to train imbuing up that is not so expensive and demanding on jewellery and resources ?

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, it's expensive. I use the Vagabonds in the Ilsh gypsy camps for gems. They start at 50gp for amber (& citrine?) and go up 1 gp for every 1000 gems I buy. They get smart and slowly increase the prices.
I just buy a little at a time and take my sweet time training imbuing anyway.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I finally decided to get into imbuing and started my training.

Wow, I am impressed, I had no idea it was so incredibly expensive........

I started from 50, got to 60 with unravelling, then since gains were slow I started inbuing luck (citrine and residue).

Well, now I am 70 so gained 10 points through imbuing but in citrine jewels alone (I had some residue from unravelling), I already spent like half a million in purchasing citrines at NPC jewellers.

How much it cost to make 120, maybe some 20 millions ???

Is there a way to train imbuing up that is not so expensive and demanding on jewellery and resources ?
I'm not saying this to mess with you, and the multiple other times I've posted the same thing have not been to mess with you.

Unravel until at least 80. Up your hunting routine to include dragons. They drop 8 gems each, plenty of gold to help make up any shortfall, and items that when unraveled offer better skill gains than what you have been getting.

You've already spent more on those 10 points than I did going from 82 to 100, by quite a bit.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I gained to above 90 from unravelling alone. You need to start grabbing better quality items to unravel (still not too great items though). Go for somewhere around 300% total intensity.

My goal is to gain to GM by only unravelling loot. I am currently at 92.? and am still gaining quite steadily. I still gain quite well off less than relic fragment quality loot.

Stayin Alive,

BG

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unravel until at least 80. Up your hunting routine to include dragons. They drop 8 gems each, plenty of gold to help make up any shortfall, and items that when unraveled offer better skill gains than what you have been getting.

Thank you for the kind advice, the problem with unravelling is, that it might come cheaper and a source for gem and magic residue, but it slows down gains a whole lot.

In between the time for hunting and the slower gains when unravelling I noticed that active imbuing allows gains at several times faster pace.....

It comes at a cost, and a hefty one, but it gets one to 120 quite much faster than unravelling.......

You've already spent more on those 10 points than I did going from 82 to 100, by quite a bit.
Well, I did a few mistakes initially buying some citrines at 150 per rather than at 50/60 per as I should have.....
So, the first 2 batches of 500 citrines just ate me some 160k and lasted quite a short time.

I will be more carefull now and just spot jewellers all over having them as close as possible to the start price (which is about 50 I think) and keep going.

I just did not imagine that gems would go that fast when training imbuing.....

I think for 10 points of gain from 60 to 70 I used up some 5,000 citrines moreless not to mention about 700/800 magical residues which I already had from unravelling.

By the way, someone mentioned that unravelling was lifted a CAP, recently, and that "in theory", one could well get to 120 with unravelling "alone".

Thing is, I have not clear what that "in theory" actually means.......

That in practical terms gains would be so scarce and rare that it would take forever to get to 120 with unravelling ??

Lastly, any hint to what, at 70 skill, should I activelyu imbue to "save up" on jewellery gems as much as I can ?

I noticed, that imbuing resistances tend to use less gems, is that a good property to imbue for skill gains ?

Also, I try to set intensity in 40%-50% range (closer to 40%, though) as I was told that the lower the chance at success, the higher the chance of a skill gain.

Of course, I fail more often and use up resrouces.

Now, what is the experience of you guys ?

In order to speed up gains, what difficulty should I target ?

Thanks.

K

Kallie Pigeon

If I am lucky I won't have to buy much more jewels (closing on 119) however its been a long slow trip for me. I train in imbuing via the suggested way and then when I have no money for jewels I imbue stuff for practice and gather imbuing stuff (making gold at the same time) then when I havce enough gold I buy some more jewels and train. If you're not in a hurry it's no biggie.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the kind advice, the problem with unravelling is, that it might come cheaper and a source for gem and magic residue, but it slows down gains a whole lot.

In between the time for hunting and the slower gains when unravelling I noticed that active imbuing allows gains at several times faster pace.....

It comes at a cost, and a hefty one, but it gets one to 120 quite much faster than unravelling.......
If you gain skill through unravelling (up to 80-90) it will take longer to get there, than if you imbued items over and over. The benefit of gaining through unraverlling is that it does not cost anything. Infact, you make a ton of gold and resources to help pay for gaining Imbuing from 90 to 120. As you have found out, Imbuing can be an expensive skill to raise.

By the way, someone mentioned that unravelling was lifted a CAP, recently, and that "in theory", one could well get to 120 with unravelling "alone".

Thing is, I have not clear what that "in theory" actually means.......
There used to be a cap from unravelling of "up to 25.0 skill". That has been removed (one of the first changes made to the skill).

I said it was theoretically possible to gain this skill from unravelling alone, and it is. However, it is not that practical once you get over GM. Your gain chance (from unravelling) is based on the quality of the item you are unravelling. The total intensity of the item is used when determining your chance to gain skill from unravelling it. Eventually you will have no chance to gain skill from items, if their intensity is too low. As your skill increases, you will have to get better quaility items to unravel Also, as with all other skills, the gains will naturally slow down, since the skill is higher (this also applies to imbuing properties on items) so you will need to unravel more items. Eventually (somewhere over GM) you will get to a point that only relic fragment quaility items will give you a decent chance to gain.

To help clear it up, the theory is "the game mechanics will let me gain Imbuing to 120.0", but the impracticallity of seeing that out is based on the ability to get a steady supply of high quality items once you get above GM (possibly artifact quaility the closer you get to 120.0), to keep the gains steady. You would have to do alot of hunting to get the high quality items needed for the tail end of your skill gain. If you are in no hurry to raise imbuing, you can spend more time unravelling. It is well worth the time and effort.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Warsong of LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with the amount of gold you seem to be throwing around popps, you should be searching for imbuing SoTs. And can I ask? what is the hurry now to hit 120? It has been 9 months since SA release. I hit 120 just around time they made the unraveling changes to imbuing and I was considered slow by my guild and friends. There really is no hurry, unless you have clients lined up that you are going to sell to.

D

Demoquin84

Before GM Imbue i was aiming for 55% give or take. After GM i tend to drop to 45%. If i can up the mod and keep the same cost to attempt i will.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And can I ask? what is the hurry now to hit 120?

No particular reason, other than just putting it behind me and considering it as done and never bother with it again......

So that I can focus on the next thing after......

J

[JD]

popps,

i cant believe you started imbuing so early..

i'm at 92.x imbuing from unraveling alone, and its way more fun than sitting in a corner skilling something up.

if you hardcore grind any skill you are gonna pay for it one way or another... either in being bored, or in money as in the case of imbuing...

you could have maybe done an 'advanced' character, starting with high imbuing

but, unraveling is a great way and you should unravel til at least 90+

the trick is to hunt the right things.... i do any boss mob. dark father, miasma, swoop, barracoon, you name it. go on these raids with your guild/friends and just loot the stuff once it's ok to loot.

i also use the enhanced client. the ec has a mod called copper_enhanced, which when combined with a 2nd mod (name escapes me) will tell you the intensity/weight of an item when you hover over it. its probably 95% accurate. lets me spot relics RIGHT AWAY.

do not loot everything from a monster and walk away to unravel. thats wasteful, you can only carry so much at a time. i use the same mod to make sure only to loot things over a certain intensity. that way i can fill up on more stuff which is in my range to give me gains. doing this i can unravel and gain anywhere from .2 to .8 off any bag of loot........ i'd hardly call that slow.

the way i found what was the proper intensity for me to loot was i waited 24 hrs so i could get my GSG (guaranteed skill gain). i then unraveled a low intensity item, 100 weight. no gain. then 150. no gain. then 200. no gain. unravel 250. GAINED! the 2nd day I began unraveling upwards from 200 (since the gain level is somewhere between 200-250 for me). i found anything at 217+ intensity gave potential for gain. so, i only looted 217+ intensity items.

that was when i was lower in skill though. im certain its 250-300 now required, though i haven't re-done the test.........

hunting with friends is a lot more fun than grinding it out...

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a note to those training, I still get gains from unraveling less than relic fragments at 118+

D

Death Adder

Yeah, it's MAD expensive. I'm super-rich and didn't really care how much gold I was spending, and next thing I knew I'd blown through a bag of about 40 mil just buying gems and residue (after going through my considerable amount of gems and residue from farming/crafting).

I will say that at 119, I remember I had a bag of loot from 3 bronze hammers that I'd made to unravel but I couldn't at the time because I was below 95 skill. I went ahead and unraveled them and got about .5 skill points off of the 105 items. I got a few relics and essences off them, but it was like 3.5 mil for 100 perfect emerald (to craft Knight's War Cleaver) and 1.2 mil for the bronze hammers and it yielded about 70 relic frags. So it's a bit more economical just to buy the relic frags at 5 mil per 100.

Warsong of LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No particular reason, other than just putting it behind me and considering it as done and never bother with it again......

So that I can focus on the next thing after......
Well if you want optimal training, might I suggest that you do the quest that gives you the crystal ball of knowledge - put crystal ball in you back pack turn it on and as you train (any skill) it will tell you if it is too easy, easy, optimal, difficult, very difficult. It is The Crystal Ball of Knowledge is a quest reward given by Ortlem the Mystic upon completion of the A Mystic's Journey quest at the alchemy shop in Ter Mur.

It has the same functionality as the Skill Tutor Statuette.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if you want optimal training, might I suggest that you do the quest that gives you the crystal ball of knowledge - put crystal ball in you back pack turn it on and as you train (any skill) it will tell you if it is too easy, easy, optimal, difficult, very difficult. It is The Crystal Ball of Knowledge is a quest reward given by Ortlem the Mystic upon completion of the A Mystic's Journey quest at the alchemy shop in Ter Mur.

It has the same functionality as the Skill Tutor Statuette.

I was not aware of this item. Thanks for hinting to it.

How does it work, exactly ?

It tells for a given skill what should be done for best gain results ?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most skills have their optimum range starting at 50 or 60% chance of success.

Hesphaestus in New Haven will even tell you as part of his new skill quest that 60% to 80% is optimum for smith gains.

Imbuing starts at 50%, though until I hit GM, I was getting better gains from 35-45% than from 50-60%

My method of training involved 20 light platemail Jingasa (exceptional), imbuing luck once (90 luck, or whatever got me into the 50%-55% range at lower skill), RPD once (started at the highest minimum cost, and worked up to mid-range before imbuing more than 3% LRC), and LRC (starting at 3%) the other 18 times. it took me around 40 jingasa to go from the mid 70s to over 100, and only about 120-160 more to get to 120. (for closer guesses, see the Mk III guide).

Remember that Gypsy Vagabonds at the wandering Ilshenar camps are your friends...

Warsong of LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was not aware of this item. Thanks for hinting to it.

How does it work, exactly ?

It tells for a given skill what should be done for best gain results ?
No it does not tell you what to make, if you try to imbue one item with one property, it will look at you skill level and no matter if you fail or succeed, it will tell you if it is too easy or optimal or too hard. For example if you are gettting the too easy reply then if you are training imbuing yo would either need to increase the amount of the single property of you imbue attempt or add a different property to the item. You just do the quest I listed, once you get the crystal ball, you just keep it in your backpack and turn it on. It works for any skill.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Base prices are

50 GP each for amber & citrine

Some of the others are 75, 100, or 150, IIRC.

Diamonds start at 200 per.

back before they nerfed the vendors' buying prices, when gems first became a hot commodity from the ML recipe jewelry, you could go buy 4000 gems in Ilshenar at base+2GP ((0+1+2+3)/4 = +2), then go back to luna and sell them for 4000 times the difference in costs (the amount over base averaging back out).

So, that if you bought 4000 citrines back then for 260,000 total (4000 times the base, +1000*6), and the price the jeweler initially offered in Luna was 75 each, you'd get payed back (75,000*4 - 6*1000 = 300,000 - 6000 = 294,000), or a profit of 34,000, Do that for 9 different gem types (and using the gypsy banker to move all the gems over without worrying about weight), if all were 25 above default, and that's 300k profit for playing the gem market, for about 15 minutes' work.

Now you can see why they nerfed it - especially since they had been planning, even back then, to introduce gems consumed in Imbuing (SA was supposed to have originally been 3-6 months after KR, in the original plans - but that client was too ambitious).

K

Kallie Pigeon

Just made it to 120 and I'm not rich by anymeans so you can do it too just take your time and do what you need to do.

D

Danny1

I just made sure I kept the jewels down to 1 and 1. I simply crafted daggers with a dc runic hammer and picked the daggers out that gave me a 30 percent chance to imbue. Ie a dagger crafted with a dc hammer that had stats ssi 15, dmg inc 40 had an average 30 percent chance to imbue hit dispel 2 percent. 1 amber and 1 residue.

50 daggers made with a dc and will usually get 25 or so daggers that will give you this percentage so I ddint find jewels a huge problem. I just had to check the stats a little more but it made it alot cheaper in the long run.

Example. My last dagger had mods of hci 14, dmg inc 40 made with a dc runic. Imbue hit dispel 2 percent gave an success chance of 34.6 percent using 1 amber and 1 residue.

I went from 91 to 100 using 1100 or so amber and about the same amount of residue.

This is also a nice option because you can raise hit dispel to 8 I think still using 1 amber and 1 residue which will bring it anywhere from 50 percent to 20 percent to get past any walls.

Might have to upgrade to a shadow runic at the higher numbers.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just made sure I kept the jewels down to 1 and 1. I simply crafted daggers with a dc runic hammer and picked the daggers out that gave me a 30 percent chance to imbue. Ie a dagger crafted with a dc hammer that had stats ssi 15, dmg inc 40 had an average 30 percent chance to imbue hit dispel 2 percent. 1 amber and 1 residue.

50 daggers made with a dc and will usually get 25 or so daggers that will give you this percentage so I ddint find jewels a huge problem. I just had to check the stats a little more but it made it alot cheaper in the long run.

Example. My last dagger had mods of hci 14, dmg inc 40 made with a dc runic. Imbue hit dispel 2 percent gave an success chance of 34.6 percent using 1 amber and 1 residue.

I went from 91 to 100 using 1100 or so amber and about the same amount of residue.

This is also a nice option because you can raise hit dispel to 8 I think still using 1 amber and 1 residue which will bring it anywhere from 50 percent to 20 percent to get past any walls.

Might have to upgrade to a shadow runic at the higher numbers.
I also did the same. I guess if you have the imbuing ingredients then it's easier to fine tune that (and way more expensive) but making dull copper daggers with a runic certainly helps keep the costs down. I also did imbue some stuff just to get an idea of how it may go. I really wanted a elemental slayer axe. I was trying to smith one for a long time and had all the other superslayers. I gained imbuing doing that. I imbued jewelry for my other characters just mid level stuff without the top level requirements and gained doing that. Did you know that you can imbue ringmail gloves of mining? I always wanted better mods on my mining gloves, they were like a weak point. I bet those should sell well for miners who kill elementals. With the daggers I kept adding single imbues till I got a point where I could do single jewel imbues and gain good (around 50% chance). It might be that an even higher hammer might work better but I never tried it.