• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bowcraft/Fletching] Imbuing...... Few Questions

Andyf

Adventurer
Just hit GM on my bowyer and my next goal is 120 imbuing.

Just curious about the process used to craft bows such as :

37 HML or 48 HML
Slayer
HSL
30 DI
SSI

and bows such as

Hit Lightning
HSL
HML
30 DI
SSI

Thanks!

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Depending on what bow, you can either just craft it and imbue, or craft, reforge for the HML then imbue the rest, and finally enhance.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depending on what bow, you can either just craft it and imbue, or craft, reforge for the HML then imbue the rest, and finally enhance.
Depending on the bow and it's speed, it can also knock down the max of the HML severely when imbued and also when enhanced with Ash for SSI.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Both of these have already been written about at length. Do you have a specific question?

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Just started my bow fletcher too. Does enhancing with 10% SSI effect HML the same way as if I was imbuing?

So if I want a composite bow like this: 50 DI, 35 SSI, 48 HML, 36 HSL, Demon Slayer. Do I reforge HML, then imbue to 25 SSI, then enhance or do I skip enhancing entirely?

For champ spawns, does hit area work on bows? Also, is magical short bow still the best bow for champ spawns? Lightning arrow seems weak considering it doesn't apply the slayer dmg modifier according to uoguide.
Lightning Arrow - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just started my bow fletcher too. Does enhancing with 10% SSI effect HML the same way as if I was imbuing?

So if I want a composite bow like this: 50 DI, 35 SSI, 48 HML, 36 HSL, Demon Slayer. Do I reforge HML, then imbue to 25 SSI, then enhance or do I skip enhancing entirely?

For champ spawns, does hit area work on bows? Also, is magical short bow still the best bow for champ spawns? Lightning arrow seems weak considering it doesn't apply the slayer dmg modifier according to uoguide.
Lightning Arrow - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
Try this site, I find it to be immensely helpful when planning anything imbued.
Imbuing Calculator | Knuckleheads.dk

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Ok so doing that, the max I can imbue on an exceptional composite bow is: 50 DI, 30SSI, 37 HML, 50 HSL, Demon slayer. Sooo...how do I make a 50 DI, 35 SSI, 48 HML, 36 HSL, Demon Slayer? Sounds like a combination of reforging to max HML and then imbue 25% SSI, then enhance to 35% SSI?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
HML & HLL have two values - the actual weight, and the displayed value, which is a function of the SSI present combined with the weight.

So, adding SSI to an item (or changing its value), be it runic crafting, imbuing, reforging, or spawning as loot, changes the displayed value.
It doesn't actually change the property weight.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
HML & HLL have two values - the actual weight, and the displayed value, which is a function of the SSI present combined with the weight.

So, adding SSI to an item (or changing its value), be it runic crafting, imbuing, reforging, or spawning as loot, changes the displayed value.
It doesn't actually change the property weight.
Yes I know HML and HLL value changes with SSI for those cases. Still doesn't answer how to make a 50 DI, 35 SSI, 48 HML, 36 HSL, Demon Slayer composite bow. I'll just make it on test center...

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I know HML and HLL value changes with SSI for those cases. Still doesn't answer how to make a 50 DI, 35 SSI, 48 HML, 36 HSL, Demon Slayer composite bow. I'll just make it on test center...
My opinion, and I'm not sure I'm right, but that unless you get extremely lucky to reforge the total item, you'll never get that exact bow, SSI enhancement will always lower the HML.

Nizam

Visitor
The relationship between SSI and HML/HLL is well documented here:
Hit Life Leech - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
So for an Elven Composite Bow with 3.75s speed and 35% SSI, the maximum HML/HLL is 34%. The question becomes if I imbue to HML/HLL to 34% first (and spare the void orbs), and then imbue SSI and further enhance with Ash, will it drop the HML/HLL value or keep it as is if it is less than or equal to the allowable maximum? I'd have to test it.

I've only been back to the game for 2 months after a 16 year absence, but my experience so far has led me to avoid imbuing ssi on weapons that are already fast (e.g. short spear), but keep it on low speed weps like bows and axes. Too much delay between hits is detrimental in my experience.

[Edit: The minimum cap for swing speed is 1.25s so for fast weapons you hit that cap with stamina alone, so no need to add SSI)

For 'training' weapons I always max out as much SSI as possible (imbuing weapons, looted jewels...etc) so that the skill is used as often as possible.

Last edited:

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Reforging lets you overcap the hit leech property "behind the scenes" so to speak, so that you can put some SSI on the weapon and still have the 'max' value as per that chart. At least that's how it words for h2h weapons. For instance, I have longswords (3.5s) with 15% SSI and 100% hit leech. For a 3.75% weapon, it is theoretically possible to make it with 25% SSI and still have 100% hit mana/life leech. The same should be true for a bow, but you just halve all the leech properties.

As for order, I think that if you imbue a value of Hit Leech less than what is shown in that chart, then imbue the SSI to match, it won't then lower the HML again - it only lowers the CAP, not the imbued value.

Nizam

Visitor
I tried this last night. I imbued a bow to 25% SSI (this is a training bow so not using pricey ingredients) and then put in HML and HLL at 30% (also added velocity but that is not part of the discussion here). Keep in mind for an elven composite longbow the max HML/HLL at 25% is 37, and at 35% is 34. Finally I enhanced the bow with Ash which added another 10% SSI bringing me to 35% SSI. At this point HML/HLL dropped to 27%. So even if you imbue HML/HLL under the cap, increasing SSI later will still reduce it.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
if you look up searchuo.com there is an exact bow that I'm describing. 50 HSL, Demon Slayer, Hit Mana Leech 48%, SSI 40%, Di 28%, lower Req 20%, 100% physical "vampiric composite bow." Crafted by Lord Charon (Atlantic). Cost - 23 MIL gold! Holy smokes that is an expensive bow.....

It's reforged "lesser" so that already tells me it was reforged. So it's probably reforged for overcap HML with either Oak or Ash? I just gotta figure out if "lesser" = oak or ash. Still can't imagine it being as simple as 1) reforge for overcap HML 2) imbue HSL, slayer and 30% SSI then 3) enhance.....if it were that simple, it wouldn't cost 23mil gold.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
It is that simple. It is for sure done with an Ash tool. The problem with using an Ash tool to reforge the bow, vs a copper tool for doing the same for a sword, is that with a copper tool, when you land the overcapped HML, you'll almost never get a 2nd property. When you land the overcapped HML with an Ash tool (or bronze if you were so inclined to use with smithy) you're guaranteed to get a 2nd property.

This means that you're likely to get some bows that are overcapped in HML, and also have HFat or Hit Mana Drain, or some HLL ... all of which make them junk.

I'd wager heavily that this bow was reforged to have the overcapped HML and also some amount of HSL. Then imbue, then enhance.

Also, remember that when enhancing, using a Forged Metal of the Artifacts is an absolute requirement. Given that a tool costs $10 for 10 charges, and gold is currently selling for .15 per million, that means that just the enhancement on this bow is worth ~7M.

I'd say 23M is pretty darn reasonable actually, given how much of a pain in the arse the runic fletching tools are to get relative to copper hammers...

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It is that simple. It is for sure done with an Ash tool. The problem with using an Ash tool to reforge the bow, vs a copper tool for doing the same for a sword, is that with a copper tool, when you land the overcapped HML, you'll almost never get a 2nd property. When you land the overcapped HML with an Ash tool (or bronze if you were so inclined to use with smithy) you're guaranteed to get a 2nd property.

This means that you're likely to get some bows that are overcapped in HML, and also have HFat or Hit Mana Drain, or some HLL ... all of which make them junk.

I'd wager heavily that this bow was reforged to have the overcapped HML and also some amount of HSL. Then imbue, then enhance.

Also, remember that when enhancing, using a Forged Metal of the Artifacts is an absolute requirement. Given that a tool costs $10 for 10 charges, and gold is currently selling for .15 per million, that means that just the enhancement on this bow is worth ~7M.

I'd say 23M is pretty darn reasonable actually, given how much of a pain in the arse the runic fletching tools are to get relative to copper hammers...

Thanks Tuan! That all makes sense. I have not tried over-capping HML or HLL before. To check if the HML is infact overcapped, do you just look at the property weight in the imbuing menu, subtract the property weight of 40% Damage increase, and then calculate how much HML you really have? I read on another page that I need to overcap to 70% HML for composite bows, but since only 50% shows, I need a way to differentiate between overcapped 60% HML bows vs 70% HML bows.

Andyf

Adventurer
Thanks for digging on this Tabin -- basically the information I required!

Also found this:
1. Craft about 100 exceptional Composite Bows (normal wood, normal tool)
2. Reforge them with an ash runic tools (of vampire suffix, 3 charges per try)
3. If you are lucky you get one with 20 HSL + 70 HML (50 HML displayed) else repeat 1-2 or take some 70 HML bow with less useful second mod
4. Increase its durability to 255 using POF
5. Decrease DI and HSL to 1 to (just imbue 1 DI and 1 HSL on a bow that already has this mods)
6. Imbue Slayer, SSI, HSL, DI (since the bow has overcapped 70 HML it still has 50 HML after imbuing SSI)
7. Use Metal Forge of Artifacts to enhance the bow (usually you want 10 ssi or 5 hci and 10 di) (if you enhance 10 ssi then hml drops to 48)

Just curious which reforge I use during step 2?

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Tuan said Ash Runic tool. haha that's Corwin's post. I recently found that too.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for digging on this Tabin -- basically the information I required!

Also found this:

2. Reforge them with an ash runic tools (of vampire suffix, 3 charges per try)

Just curious which reforge I use during step 2?
I'll just leave this here...

Kazute

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Looking to make the above stated composite bow, and tried 300 bows on test shard with ash vampire suffix no powerful with failed to make any with 70 HML and 20 HSL. Would using powerful give a better chance at getting 70% HML? Anyone make several of these yet?