• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I'm so confused!- An Oldie feeling very Newbie.

K

Krystyna

Well I've been back a couple of weeks now and enjoying it, but I don't what stuff is good now. All the weapon and armour stats were just coming in as I left and I never bothered to learn about them.

I'm getting my head around the armour, I think, or at least I'm looking at the resist values first and then anything else as a bonus. Although I can't comprehend how my cloth bandana seems to give as much defence as a plate helm I fished up, but nevermind. But weapons, all these different statistics I just can't fathom what's a good weapon anymore. Used to be so easy when Vanquish was good and Ruin wasn't :)

Anyway, can someone please give me a couple of stats to look for on weapons just to give me an idea. I'm assuming that damage increase is important but no idea really, and damage types in various areas must be good, or is that bad since you can't target a weak spot? aaaggghh my head's going to explode! I'm fishing up loads and I'm sure I'm probably smelting stuff that's good and keeping stuff that's useless.

I tried looking at the vendors to see what prices people charge for stuff, but since I have no idea what the going rate is for anything now that doesn't really help. Hope someone can give me a couple of pointers. Don't need a full essay, chances are I wouldn't understand it anyway, just a few hints would really help though.

Thanks.

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm actually having sort of the same problem since when I returned to UO.

Only thing I'm aiming for now is mana leech and life leech.
With bushido, necro and chivalry I am more able to cause big dmg using this then what normal dmg inc can.

I built a suit consisting of nothing but dmg inc, but the bonuses using the skills is far better.
Specially against fathers... when everything else is hitting me also, life leech comes in handy.
On other hunting grounds I can do mana leech alone to inflict as high dmg as possible using constant spells (ie concentration or whatever) as I do not have to worry about health that much.

For what wep prices is concerned, I'm as confused as a blind gay couple in a hot tub filled with sausages....

When I left UO you could get a wep with 25% dmg inc and 54% mana leech for everything between 2 and 4 mill

Nowdays I bid as long as my stomach can handle... when it starts to twist and shiver, I stop. So I guess it depends on what the banker saies my "statement" is :p

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Weapons & Armor

Well it all depends on wheather you're PvPing or PvM. Each suit or waepon you use would be tialored to youre character type and what youre fighting.

Tells us more...what youre fighting and what type of char youre using.

O

Out of Date

Hiya. I'm also in the same boat, more or less.
Like sha, I focus on life leech, mana leech and SSI.

And like was said above, it depends on what you want to fight.
I don't PvP at all now with all these artifacts and crazy skills, but
I do PvM a good deal. Being a macer, it's quite difficult getting
a great weapon, since nowadays a weapon MUST hit very fast
so that you can constantly life leech when you're fighting the
big stuff. I look for weapons with about 80 life leech and about
60 mana leech, some swing speed increase and hit lower defense.

But don't go paying too much for your weapons. I see vendors selling
weapons produced with low level hammers very, very expencive.

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Slayer Weapons................................:thumbup:

K

Krystyna

Weapons & Armor

Well it all depends on wheather you're PvPing or PvM. Each suit or waepon you use would be tialored to youre character type and what youre fighting.

Tells us more...what youre fighting and what type of char youre using.

I'm more PvM orientated than PvP, but I'm not so interested in what will be useful for me. For the PvM I've done since I came back my GM armour and ex-vanquish quarterstaff has been more than adequate, not done anything big yet and I'm sure it wouldn't cope with that but I'll worry about that if and when I get a bit more adventurous. I get loads of stuff from fishing and T-hunting though and it's more a case of knowing what's worth keeping to sell, what I should try and enhance and what I should just junk.

Seems I need to keep hold of stuff that has life and mana leech and a fast swing speed then from what others have said.

S

Sir Kenga

Seems I need to keep hold of stuff that has life and mana leech and a fast swing speed then from what others have said.
SSI, Mana leech and Stamina leech are most useful in pvm. Life leech is kinda secondary...

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
stamina help with swing speed, making it faster and also keeping it at the top speed when your stamina is full

Ah, okay. Fair enough hehe.

What about stats then? As high dex as possible, or do you lot balance it some still?

Sorry for all the nubi questins, and also spamming the thread..hehe.

S

Sir Kenga

If u have healing u have to have at least 120 dex - will grant u 5 sec per bandage. 140 dex grant u 4 sec per bandage and that's cap. i guess u won't use agility potions much in pvm anyway.

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
stamina help with swing speed, making it faster and also keeping it at the top speed when your stamina is full

I had a discussion with my brother who actually pointed out the obvious concerning this.
As having chivalry to travel also makes me able to cast divine fury to refill my stamina, stamina leech wouldnt be a very usefull thing in pvm?

Divine fury lowers my defences, but thats not really a threat in pvm tho.
So I'm actually going back to life leech & mana leech...

More ll means less healing, and easier/more time to cure etc with bands. (in most cases)
And ml to keep casting those offencive spells and divine fury.

Or am I way off?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The values of leeches got changed a while ago. Nowadays the weapon-speed is somehow calculated into it. I've already seen halberds with up to 97% ll.
As what to keep and what not is always a difficult decision. Sometimes you see weapons beeing sold for millions that someoneelse (me for example :D ) would have thrown away.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok if you're going to be PvM you need to get you're damage up as much as possible do this by getting you're self:

Library talisman A Primer on arms damage removal :
str 1
Hit point regen 1
Damage increase 20%

Storm Grips:
Int 8
damage increase 25%
Luck 125
Physical 10
Fire 4
Cold 18
Poison 3
Energy 18

Then the weapon of you're choice with as much damage increase it you can find on it. Try and get a weapon that’s going to be the slayer type you need for that type of Monster you are hunting. For example a repond slayer for Titans, Deamon slayers for…Demons (and doom boss)

Don’t worry to much about swing speed on you're weapon just get you're dex up to max and keep it there with pots and u will swing at full speed.

Suit needs to all add up to 70 resists and with as much luck on it as possible. Mana regen is another good thing to get on you're suit if you can Max is 8.

Esmeralda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, I generally look for this mods on my weps, no matter if melee or not:
- swing speed, the more the better
- dmg inc at least 30
- hit chance increase, the more the better
- the leeches depend on what your template needs, if you´re using weapon specials or any other magic consuming skill then you should get mana leech. life leech is quite usefull too of course. If you have chivalry you can use the spell "divine fury" wich fills up your stamina, so no leech needed for that.
- hit fireball or hit lightning 40+ (some additional damage is always nice but not needed)

Armorwise, I prefer a suit with at least 60+ in all resists, some nice stat bonus, stam inc, maybe hit point inc, lmc or mr is a must too (best would be both)
My necro chivalry archer wears this suit, and she rocks :) I can´t take down a dark father on my own, but everywhere I go I can compete with other templates, and for the grizzle peerless this char rocks *g*
Her stats are:
Str: 107
Dex: 150
Int: 50

Res: 67/58(83)/70/70/68
+ 33 Dex
+ 11 Str
+ 15 Int
+ 5 Stam...lol
+ 10 Hpi
+ 10 Mana
+ 5 Mr (vamp form gives a bonus, but I don´t know how much)
+ 32 Lmc
+ 6 Hpr
+ 6 Stam reg
+ 23 Hci without a wep
+ 72 Dmg inc without a wep
+ 30 Hit lower defense

Hope this helps a bit in clearing up the confusion :)

Elffin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, I generally look for this mods on my weps, no matter if melee or not:
- swing speed, the more the better
- dmg inc at least 30
- hit chance increase, the more the better
- the leeches depend on what your template needs, if you´re using weapon specials or any other magic consuming skill then you should get mana leech. life leech is quite usefull too of course. If you have chivalry you can use the spell "divine fury" wich fills up your stamina, so no leech needed for that.
- hit fireball or hit lightning 40+ (some additional damage is always nice but not needed)

Armorwise, I prefer a suit with at least 60+ in all resists, some nice stat bonus, stam inc, maybe hit point inc, lmc or mr is a must too (best would be both)
My necro chivalry archer wears this suit, and she rocks :) I can´t take down a dark father on my own, but everywhere I go I can compete with other templates, and for the grizzle peerless this char rocks *g*
Her stats are:
Str: 107
Dex: 150
Int: 50

Res: 67/58(83)/70/70/68
+ 33 Dex
+ 11 Str
+ 15 Int
+ 5 Stam...lol
+ 10 Hpi
+ 10 Mana
+ 5 Mr (vamp form gives a bonus, but I don´t know how much)
+ 32 Lmc
+ 6 Hpr
+ 6 Stam reg
+ 23 Hci without a wep
+ 72 Dmg inc without a wep
+ 30 Hit lower defense

Hope this helps a bit in clearing up the confusion :)
Selling the suit? lol

Elf.

Scenic Nevins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe, yeah, thats nice:p

Got a similar one myself on a dexxer, but I find weps to be a serious problem to find

Have all the wep sellers been banned or whats going on?

I need a few fencing slayer 2 handed (Not lance) but its rather impossible to find a decent one.
Where have all the vendor gone? :p

Anne

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder the same thing Scenic. I've been desperately looking for bows and can't find what I need. So far I haven't found any loot that I've been able to enhance either and it's so frustrating.

I guess when people make really good weapons they keep the good ones for themselves. :(

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For decent fencing weapons you should give runic hammers a chance. (With latest changes you can get lucky with 'only' a bronze runic. With three porperties up to 100% intensity + 40% di from beeing exceptional (including gm armslore bonus) you could get what your looking for.
Bows are somewhat harder, course you need the high end runics from heartwood quests. If you're buying scripted ones, you need to pay a lot. If you try to get them by your own, you need a lot of time for them. And afterwards you need to have luck too get waht youre looking for.