• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I'm not me any more

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got an email from Origin (well, 3 days ago), which says my account email has been changed.

I tried accessing my account information, and it didn't work.

This leads me to assume that my account has been hacked.

Since I don't play any more, I won't bother to try to get it fixed. But I thought I'd give you a heads up anyway.

My UO characters are no longer mine.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aneirin, Farsight, Dedigan, Path, Kei Wa, Mien, Miep, Kejiel, Grol Darkeye.

Though I'm not disappointed about losing my pixels, I do wonder about how it happened and how the fine folks at EA/Origin could have prevented it.

i.e. Losing my Origin account (and thus my UO accounts) was not the only attempt to get into my personal internets in the last week. In fact, I was forced to change all of my passwords in case people were still trying to get into something important and somehow found the old passwords.

Out of the things which people managed to get into, most of them prevented the log in and warned me about the attempts. Google even went so far as to tell me where the log in attempt was attempted from (Though it could be a proxy for all I know) and are taking preventive measures for the future. Not that I trust that completely, but even losing that account wouldn't be catastrophic. I'm very paranoid about what I put out there, and the damage which could be done to me personally is minimal.

All I got from EA was an email saying that (in essence) I have already been hacked and there's nothing I can do about it unless I jump through flaming hoops backward with my eyes shut. And even then, if there was damage to do, it would have already been done.

Now if Origin could have used the same method of access detection, they would have determined that my account information was only ever accessed by the same computer and they could have prevented the access from the different computer (and if I still cared, which I must to write such a long rant, saved more headaches later) and this would have been a complete non-issue.

Last edited:

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well that stinks. Seems that origin would have a bit more respect for long time players of UO. Hope other then this event all is going well for you and yours Aneirin.