• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

IM not gay but found this article interesting...

J

jfkeach

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/106/1060720p1.html?_cmpid=ign40

Yes, I have seen this in UO. If you get Pwned by a red, likely as not you get called a *** or Twink or other derisive name.

This part I find really applies, even for the STRAIGHT community in UO...

"Honestly, companies and journalists can talk until they are blue in the face, but we will not see any major changes with this situation until the general gaming populace matures a bit and wakes up to their own bigotry and hatred."
That goes beyond name calling and references to sexuality. It goes also to general behavior as well.

C

Coragin

Yes the gaming communities need to mature. But that article was just dumb. Honestly you can go anywhere at any time and find a group of people that dont care for or even hate another group. Fellies and Trammies?

People need to grow thicker skin and 'man up' so to speak. I mean you dont need a support group cause someone in a chat room called you a name. Heck its happened to all of us Im sure, got harassed in a chat room or in game or whatever. Should we start a little support group? Get us a .com and waste major corporations time and money requesting interviews and statments about how this person said this or that?

Grow some skin and man up! Yes pun intended there.

F

Fink

The insult usually says much more about the person saying it than the target.

What's funny is if someone calls you "gay" as a slur, and you say "Sure, sure. I'm gay." they continue to call you gay as if it's somehow hurts you.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting article, but the writer is under a misconception.

I concur that many game players show the maturity of 7 year olds, simply replacing 'my dad's bigger than your dad' with a more vulgar reference than 'dad', since they mistakenly believe vulgarity to be a sign of 'maturity'.

These players are not necessarily homophobic, simply using an insult they can get away with, since they can't get away with racist ones. In UO they're just as likely to use a made-up insult like 'trammie'.

I'm inclined to attribute this in part to a lack of parenting, since I, and in turn my children, was taught that it is unacceptable to address people in such a disrespectful manner. I must have been told 'Don't be rude' a hundred times when I was a child.

However the recipients of these childish tirades also need to show a level of maturity in ignoring them as they deserve.

J

jfkeach

My standard answer when some idiot calls me gay..

"I am not gay, just extremely friendly...."

Stops them in their tracks because they don't have the mentality to answer that.

A

Anon McDougle

How would this explain said actions in UO i am sure the Ave age of a UO player is between 22-25 i can see it for WOW as you would think they would have more younger players

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How would this explain said actions in UO i am sure the Ave age of a UO player is between 22-25 i can see it for WOW as you would think they would have more younger players
20-25 is nowhere near the avg age of UO players.

S

Stupid Miner

Hm... it kinda comes across like the author, hm, is rather clueless about these games.

They write as if they actually think that the people they're writing the article about care about the issue.

Also, it's not just gays, typically *everyone* is eventually subject to *every* vulgarity that can be thought of, and then some more that don't even make sense.

Y

Yen Sid

Also, it's not just gays, typically *everyone* is eventually subject to *every* vulgarity that can be thought of, and then some more that don't even make sense.
In fact some (young) status player came up to me and some guildies and asked for 1M gold and then went on to say he would "**** us." Completely uncalled for and extremely rude especially when this person didn't know us at all and there was a female with us.

Some things you just don't say to a woman. And you never know who you could be talking to so those kinds of things are just ignorant. And unfortunately where I live it (gay, ****d, ********, etc.) is said constantly and I say it as well, although I watch who I say things in front of unlike some people. But this doesn't justify saying it and I know that I shouldn't. But I also don't run up to people say that I will **** them.

Sorry for the :rant2: but I thought of this seeming it happened just last night.

S

Sunchicken

In fact some (young) status player came up to me and some guildies and asked for 1M gold and then went on to say he would "**** us." Completely uncalled for and extremely rude especially when this person didn't know us at all and there was a female with us.

Some things you just don't say to a woman. And you never know who you could be talking to so those kinds of things are just ignorant. And unfortunately where I live it (gay, ****d, ********, etc.) is said constantly and I say it as well, although I watch who I say things in front of unlike some people. But this doesn't justify saying it and I know that I shouldn't. But I also don't run up to people say that I will **** them.

Sorry for the :rant2: but I thought of this seeming it happened just last night.
Males can be ****d as well.

You know its bad when saying ****d will get you banned faster than the N-Bomb
When the word ****d could actually be used apropriatly
****-
an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the **** of the countryside. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes the gaming communities need to mature. But that article was just dumb. Honestly you can go anywhere at any time and find a group of people that dont care for or even hate another group. Fellies and Trammies?

People need to grow thicker skin and 'man up' so to speak. I mean you dont need a support group cause someone in a chat room called you a name. Heck its happened to all of us Im sure, got harassed in a chat room or in game or whatever. Should we start a little support group? Get us a .com and waste major corporations time and money requesting interviews and statments about how this person said this or that?

Grow some skin and man up! Yes pun intended there.
/Thread.

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah last year two youngsters thought it would be ''cool'' to call Lino gay.

They didn't quite count on my equaly if not more poisonous replies...

They count on it that people won't say anything back...

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
is said constantly and I say it as well, although I watch who I say things in front of unlike some people
Look, if you say it you say it. It dosnt matter who you say it around. Just cause you dont say in front of a gay, or you dont say **** in front of a chick, but you say it to your buddies...well I just dont see the difference. How are you going to tell someone who says it they are ignorant for saying it, but you say it when you and your best friend are playing halo....

thats like saying..."Im not racist I have three black friends..."

If you can count them, your racist.

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

no need to stop being a lady... I'm sure you'll be back on your knees in no time.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

What did you say? Did you call em silly little newbie kids? Call them mean and ill spirited? Lame? Dumb? Bastards? I mean, how poisonous could your replies have been over the internet? On a fantasy based mmo none the less?

Ohh I get it, you called em ugly humans without magical pointy ears...