• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I'm at the part I usually get when I quit this game over and over...

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have my Paladin...

He has 100 Swords
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
90+ Healing
80 Chivalry
100 Parrying
100 Swordsmanship
100 Resisting Spells

I have a full 70s suit...
I have gold for a couple 120 powerscrolls I plan on dropping on Swords and Maybe tactics.

And I'm able to solo a Balron, Dragons, a lot of Paragons...

No one to play with. No one interested in playing when I ask in chats over the course of a day... I work from home and am able to play while I work for the most part. No content that this template seems to be able to do solo because I'm not a tamer or a Sampire...

This is where I get bored. Sometimes I'll make a mule character, but no one buys crafted stuff anymore. Sometimes I'll build a tamer and try to level taming again, but that's boring as hell unless you go mythic token and buy one of those books for the new skills...

I just wish I could do content on the template that I find fun and not have to go Sampire or Tamer. I don't find them fun. I love pets as much as anyone, but it's more fun going toe to toe with the big monsters.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you think only tamers and sampires can solo things.....you are incorrect. That templates close to dragoon, but you need bushido. Theres many more templates out there as well, high sdi myst mage can clean house. I also like building hybrid tamers like necro archer with fire beetle. Join a guild to meet people. Or ask in chat for a roof run, or some other boss. People generally like to do bosses not balrons.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can do community hunts on other shards since that template is easy to build up.

100 chivalry would benefit you a lot more than resist.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Can do community hunts on other shards since that template is easy to build up.

100 chivalry would benefit you a lot more than resist.
I disagree because the resist makes debuffs fall off almost instantly.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should invest in a 120 sword as a start :)
Then u need to decide witch route to take, i suggest either a sampire or bushido warrior.
Difference between the 2, is your skill as a player.
They look like this
Bush-Warrior version 1
120 weapon
100 tact
100 ana
100 heal
100 resist
100 parry
100 bush

Bush-Warrior version 2
120 weapon
100 tact
100 ana
100 chiv
100 resist
100 parry
100 bush

Sampire version 1
120 weapon
100 tact
100 ana
100 necro
100 resist
100 parry
100 bush

Sampire version 2
120 weapon
100 tact
100 chiv
100 necro
100 resist
100 parry
100 bush

There is other versions without resisting spells, i dont find them to be usefull for what i use my warriors for.
The 4 shows template can have higher or lower values in bush, parry, etc etc. but basically you want to start out with 6x100,1x120 till u get more experienced.

All templates shows can do stuff like champs solo, medusa, doom etc etc some do it better than others.
It all boils down to what u hunt, and how many coins your wanna spend, personally i use bush V1, and Samp V1 the most.
I mainly do spawns, and doom :)
For doom i use a variant of samp V2, and yes i can solo doom.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
See, even after specifically saying something I get told Sampire and Bushido. Why even have a skill system at this point if you can only do a few templates with it? I don't like having to take parrying. Why can't I take Alchemy and benefit from that in a way that offsets not having parrying? Doesn't a melee fighter souped up on potions sound fun? Chugging potions mid fight as buffs fall off and before certain abilities?

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See, even after specifically saying something I get told Sampire and Bushido. Why even have a skill system at this point if you can only do a few templates with it?
Each skill has it's strengths and weaknesses. You're choosing not to go with a stronger one. Either adapt and adjust your template or keep the same limitations.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not having resisting spells is a nub trap, but does work for some encounters.
Sorry, Ill take 100 chiv 80 resist before I take 100 resist 80 chiv.

80 chiv does not get many benefits.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ok so u dont like sampires, tamers, orrrr bushido? We gave several examples of non tamers and sampire templates. Both melee and caster.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know a guy who's taken down just about everything in the game with a straight forward paladin like you have.

They were running something a long the lines of
120 Sword
120 Tactics (For Onslaught)
100 Anatomy
90 Healing(+10 From Bandis)
100 Resist
120 Chivalry
70 Parrying

Refined Suit, Orange Petals, Scimitars/longswords. You can hit 60% Ssi without a weapon equipped using Divine fury, Shield, Ranger's Cloak, Cameo, 10 ssi ring and brace, Town Buff.

Main thing is that chivalry isn't actually for healing mostly it's just for Enemy of one. You rely on Hit life leech and the bandis for your heals.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know a guy who's taken down just about everything in the game with a straight forward paladin like you have.

120 Sword
100 Anatomy
100 Resist
120 Chivalry
70 Parrying

Refined Suit, Orange Petals, Scimitars/longswords. You can hit 60% Ssi without a weapon equipped using Divine fury, Shield, Ranger's Cloak, Cameo, 10 ssi ring and brace, Town Buff.

Main thing is that chivalry isn't actually for healing mostly it's just for Enemy of one. You rely on Hit life leech and the bandis for your heals.
Ya, I do the Orange Petals too and after I put together the 70s suit I focus on SSI. I kept Chiv at 80 just for EoO, why'd he go to 120?

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya, I do the Orange Petals too and after I put together the 70s suit I focus on SSI. I kept Chiv at 80 just for EoO, why'd he go to 120?

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

120 Sword
100 Anatomy
100 Resist
120 Chivalry
70 Parrying

I used to have a template almost identical to your friends, i ended up swapping out healing for bushido, i also swapped sword mastery for bushido mastery, healing skill was just too slow imho. (template shown in "bare" form from earlier post)
I do however think we should focus on giving OP advises in hes price range, and since he clearly stated he can max afford 1-2 120 power scrolls, you are kinda way off.
So what do you suggest he should go for, now that you know he's on a budget, and not have unlimited resources like your friend.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I used to have a template almost identical to your friends, i ended up swapping out healing for bushido, i also swapped sword mastery for bushido mastery, healing skill was just too slow imho. (template shown in "bare" form from earlier post)
I do however think we should focus on giving OP advises in hes price range, and since he clearly stated he can max afford 1-2 120 power scrolls, you are kinda way off.
So what do you suggest he should go for, now that you know he's on a budget, and not have unlimited resources like your friend.
It's fine. I got some advice I'm gonna follow. Gonna get those PS for Swords and tactics first and train that up. It's gonna take a while. I really don't want bushido in the template though.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
:( I was like you @Lore, there were skills I just didn't want in my template, Bushido was one, my Paladin just sat unused for years which was a shame because I used to really like her. I think we used to have more diversity, now it seems to be just the same few viable templates, maybe they are better at certain things, but people used to have more options, or that's how it felt anyway.

Last edited:

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nothing wrong with a straight up Paladin. I use one on occasion and have no issues going where the samps and bush templates go.
Most of the gear will be similar with the big difference in the weapon. You want to reforge for 100 Life Leach (or as high as it will let you).
So look for double axes and bladed staffs with....
life leach
mana leach
stam leach (can replace with something else if wearing full plate suit and you're comfortable casting devine fury)
damage increase
slayer

Of course the gear you wear will make a difference as well.
Aim for a suit that's all 70's
mana increase
stam increase and SSI (on jewelry) to get your wep to max SS
40 HCI
40 DCI
100 DI
40 / 45 / 50 LMC. If you use plate you can get to 45 lmc and wont need much stam regen. If you use studded you can get to 50 lmc but you might want 10 or more stam regen. I prefer plate
Lastly maybe some skill increase to balance out the template

The jewelry needs to be not antique due to the durability loss. I look for clean 10 SSI jewels and imbue the following
15 HCI
15 DCI
25 DI
10 SSI
The rest in skill (dont do swords as you want real skill for the mastery)

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
See, even after specifically saying something I get told Sampire and Bushido. Why even have a skill system at this point if you can only do a few templates with it? I don't like having to take parrying. Why can't I take Alchemy and benefit from that in a way that offsets not having parrying? Doesn't a melee fighter souped up on potions sound fun? Chugging potions mid fight as buffs fall off and before certain abilities?
No offense, but your post is a little bit like complaining that you can't win the Indy 500 in your 1972 Ford Pinto. To stick with the racing analogy... if you want to compete with those at the top of their game (reference to UO's top end content) you're going to have to drive a car (template) capable of matching their speed and endurance (damage and survivability). No matter what kind of gas or paint you put in/on your Ford Pinto, its not going to compete.

Sampires and Dragoons aren't as popular as they are simply because people really like they way they look... they are popular because their synergies make them capable of competing at the top of their game and against the top end content... synergies that other templates lack.

If any ole car was capable of winning the Indy 500 the race wouldn't be much fun... likewise, if any template was capable of soloing everything the game wouldn't really be much of a challenge.

I'm not dogging on your playstyle. If you like your template and what its capable of, by all means go kill those balrons and have fun with it. But the simple fact is that sometimes in order to up your game its going to mean upping whats under the hood.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I kept Chiv at 80 just for EoO, why'd he go to 120?
Because Chivalry is part of the damage formula. Also your spells last longer, are stronger, and do not fizzle.

A recent thread here: Link

From the description of EoO:
For the duration, caster deals 50% more melee damage towards a monster and all other monsters of its type (e.g. all ettins), but everything else (e.g. everything but ettins) deals double damage to caster. The currently affected monster type will display orange when targeted.
Higher karma extend the duration. It can be recast to cancel it.
Higher Chivalry raises the damage bonus up to +82% against monsters and +16% against players.

Conscrate:
Melee damage dealt for the duration has a chance of dealing all damage through the target's least-resisted damage type and raises the damage dealt by 1% for every 2.0 points of Chivalty above 90.0 (+15% at 120.0.)
Higher Chivalry will increase the chance of each hit's success (100% at 80.0 Chivalry.)

Easiest Calculator that shows base damage: Clicky

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No offense, but your post is a little bit like complaining that you can't win the Indy 500 in your 1972 Ford Pinto. To stick with the racing analogy... if you want to compete with those at the top of their game (reference to UO's top end content) you're going to have to drive a car (template) capable of matching their speed and endurance (damage and survivability). No matter what kind of gas or paint you put in/on your Ford Pinto, its not going to compete.

Sampires and Dragoons aren't as popular as they are simply because people really like they way they look... they are popular because their synergies make them capable of competing at the top of their game and against the top end content... synergies that other templates lack.

If any ole car was capable of winning the Indy 500 the race wouldn't be much fun... likewise, if any template was capable of soloing everything the game wouldn't really be much of a challenge.

I'm not dogging on your playstyle. If you like your template and what its capable of, by all means go kill those balrons and have fun with it. But the simple fact is that sometimes in order to up your game its going to mean upping whats under the hood.
I acknowledge that point, but it doesn't make it fun or good game design.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Because Chivalry is part of the damage formula. Also your spells last longer, are stronger, and do not fizzle.

A recent thread here: Link

From the description of EoO:
For the duration, caster deals 50% more melee damage towards a monster and all other monsters of its type (e.g. all ettins), but everything else (e.g. everything but ettins) deals double damage to caster. The currently affected monster type will display orange when targeted.
Higher karma extend the duration. It can be recast to cancel it.
Higher Chivalry raises the damage bonus up to +82% against monsters and +16% against players.

Conscrate:
Melee damage dealt for the duration has a chance of dealing all damage through the target's least-resisted damage type and raises the damage dealt by 1% for every 2.0 points of Chivalty above 90.0 (+15% at 120.0.)
Higher Chivalry will increase the chance of each hit's success (100% at 80.0 Chivalry.)

Easiest Calculator that shows base damage: Clicky
I was unaware that EoO scaled. I'll prob do Chiv to 120 now.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nothing wrong with a straight up Paladin. I use one on occasion and have no issues going where the samps and bush templates go.
Most of the gear will be similar with the big difference in the weapon. You want to reforge for 100 Life Leach (or as high as it will let you).
So look for double axes and bladed staffs with....
life leach
mana leach
stam leach (can replace with something else if wearing full plate suit and you're comfortable casting devine fury)
damage increase
slayer

Of course the gear you wear will make a difference as well.
Aim for a suit that's all 70's
mana increase
stam increase and SSI (on jewelry) to get your wep to max SS
40 HCI
40 DCI
100 DI
40 / 45 / 50 LMC. If you use plate you can get to 45 lmc and wont need much stam regen. If you use studded you can get to 50 lmc but you might want 10 or more stam regen. I prefer plate
Lastly maybe some skill increase to balance out the template

The jewelry needs to be not antique due to the durability loss. I look for clean 10 SSI jewels and imbue the following
15 HCI
15 DCI
25 DI
10 SSI
The rest in skill (dont do swords as you want real skill for the mastery)
Originally I wanted Lumberjacking too! That was my dream template some big axe wielding paladin running in and out of the fight between swing timers.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Originally I wanted Lumberjacking too! That was my dream template some big axe wielding paladin running in and out of the fight between swing timers.
I agree LJ should be worth something again.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

I agree with you @Merus and I also think it does come down to play style. I had an old friend that used to play and had like 10 different skills on his char templates and he did ok (most skills were like 65-75). He had some weird combo's and some that were pretty cool bc he liked the idea of being like a miner that also had a pvp build to fight off medium/low level reds that tried to PK him while mining. That said, he couldn't do the same content as I could with those templates compared to whatever overpowered template I'd use at that time.

That said, I think the OP does have some choices here even if you don't want to make a tamer or sampire.
  1. As someone else mentioned earlier, spam chat a little bit to see if anyone is looking to do the high end content. I bet if you say "anyone want a free ride to doom?" you will have a few people join you. (*Disclaimer: results may vary doing this! Some people might be worse off than you and make it harder lol).
  2. Join a guild and do guild hunts. There are a handful on the more populated servers (especially ATL) that always do guild hunts.
  3. Start up another account (or 2) that can support your warrior or mage or whatever you are playing (you can even keep them EJ). Best bet here is to make a 4x120 bard that does buffs and bard songs for your warrior while discording and provoking stuff.
  4. Do different content. Have you tried fishing/THunting/Trade Orders (can be done with warrior)/Pirate Ships? All of these things offer some variety. If you don't have those skills then start training them; that's part of the fun with UO.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Soulstones. Swap rando skills on/off, especially if you are keeping it modular at 100. Pois, alchy, BUSH, necro, hiding/stealth, etc.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You could also stone off heal/anat/chiv, put necro on, use recalls to get around, and have 170 useable points for whatever ur heart desires.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't want Bushido. It's not a fun skill for me. Warrior templates shouldn't require Bushido.
Maximize your template for damage. Make nice weapons and kill lots stuff so you get better at doing specials at the right time.
You will be able to kill many things. The way you want to.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also like my Paladin char, unfortunately, it’s not so viable in tough fight. I like take it out for a short walk.

By the way, I added a sampire.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I also like my Paladin char, unfortunately, it’s not so viable in tough fight. I like take it out for a short walk.

By the way, I added a sampire.
You can solo many things without a tamer or sampire. It just takes longer. I dont mind working a boss for over an hour on a lower damage (but maybe funner) toon. I used to do piper on my tailor myst mage just for fun.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't want Bushido. It's not a fun skill for me. Warrior templates shouldn't require Bushido.
This is exactly how I feel, I tried it a few times and I just can't get on with it. :(

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Could be. Don't have any issue finding people to play with on other games though. :)
I've said many times they should implement a looking for group system. The chat channel is worthless. I can log on WoW and be in a dungeon in 2min. I know UO isn't WoW, but a grouping system would be so helpful.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That setup(minus resist) is what i am running with. Radiat scimitar for WW, and it works great with another player so you can cross heal for fasyer heals.

I dont like bush either, if you do grouo content only 1 person can honor. You need better gear, but it is definatly doable.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just an FYI to all the anti-bushido people... if you are using a whirlwind weapon it behooves you have bushido as it adds damage to whirlwind per target.

Again there is a reason a Sampire template is popular and it has very little to do with "looking cool"

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes, it adds damage based on number of mobs around you that you hit,

Problem for me is, i cant seem to wrap my head around when to use confidence and evasion.

I found i may not do as much damage, but i am just as survivable.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Problem for me is, i cant seem to wrap my head around when to use confidence and evasion.

I will gather up a lot of munsters using open paperdoll, then charge into the middle of them, hit evasion, wax the majority of them before the evasion wears off. By the time I gather up another couple screens of munsters, my evasion is ready to pop off again.

Confidence, I really only use when fighting one boss that gets a few hits off in a row. I off-screen a bit, confidence once or twice, then go back in.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I'm just being facetious, but use evasion every 20 seconds and confidence every 9 and 16 seconds, lol. But seriously, I use evasion every 20 seconds (if needed.... I rarely even use evasion anymore unless it is a Frost Dragon or something) and after that 8 seconds is up, use confidence once or twice in between. :p :p If I am super focusing.... that's what I would do. But yea... I think I feel you, I rarely focus that hard.

@Lore You may still be able to get to top damage with 0 bushido. The difficulty will be in healing only. My char has 90 healing, 84 Chivalry, and 120 bushido (something like that... I have a few sampires.) When I get red lined, I run as fast as possible and use my Confidence macro over and over (because the healing it gives is faster than the 4s bandages and can save me.) I also use life leech on my weapon.

With Chivalry, don't forget Remove Curse (I use as F1 macro.) Listen for sounds like the blood oath sound, and immediately run and use remove curse.... disarm your weapon fast if someone fast like Juonar is chasing you at Shadowguard. Remove curse removes all the debuffs. Keep all petals up and strength potion (have a macro for disarm, click potion, rearm weapon.) Divine Fury is very nice too, that is my F2. It is like a stamina potion, but I usually cast evasion after I cast that, so that my defense isn't lowered (DF lowers your DCI.)

My Sampire (some call it dragoon since 0 necromancy) is a must have, it's true. But there are other characters where I have done exactly what you did more or less. One of my characters which is fun, is a mage/tamer/thrower. That's an old char though, and it would be better as an archer these days with a Cu Sidhe. :) :) He's not that top damager at all, because he doesn't have Word of Death, his archery is weak, his magery is just for gate travel and healing / bless. But it's very fun, I get to be an archer and cast spells.... while at the same time sending my dragon in to be a punching bag for a bit. When it comes down to events or something though, I still reach for my mystic/mage, mage/tamer, or Sampire (dragoon) sadly. Then I have my non-finished pvp char who is my decorator..... my wife kills him often. ; P ; P

Here is an idea for everyone that may help all. Stratics make a Guilds page. Guild leaders can go in and enter their information. Only let the guild leaders update it, and possibly have someone verify it in game if needed (just the guild leader.) Then we could search guilds and even chat with guilds... maybe even a live chat. Would be a great way for guys/girls to meet up, especially across shards and continents.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a Macer/Paladin that i use for soloing/duoing Blackthorn's Captains with. He can also duo Exodus.
120 Macing
GM Tact
GM Anat
GM Healing
120 Chiv
GM Parry
80 Resist
When soloing Captains, I use a 50%+ Hit Fatigue War Axe (AI against high Resists) or Maul (DS against low Resists) to drop them to 0% Stamina, then i switch to a 70% Hit Lightning Wep to kill them. I keep Stagger up on them the entire time for -60% SSI debuff. Between the 0% Stamina and -60% SSI debuff, they swing so slow that i can bandy heal (4 secs) between their swings. When paired with a Fencer, i let him get Pierce off three times to drop them to 0% Stam in 30 seconds, then i keep Stagger on the Captain as me and the Fencer cross heal with bandies (2 secs). Can kill Exodus that way too. Haven't had a Fencer partner in awhile though, hard to find non-Swordsman nowadays.

Turkish

Journeyman
I have a Macer/Paladin that i use for soloing/duoing Blackthorn's Captains with. He can also duo Exodus.
120 Macing
GM Tact
GM Anat
GM Healing
120 Chiv
GM Parry
80 Resist
When soloing Captains, I use a 50%+ Hit Fatigue War Axe (AI against high Resists) or Maul (DS against low Resists) to drop them to 0% Stamina, then i switch to a 70% Hit Lightning Wep to kill them. I keep Stagger up on them the entire time for -60% SSI debuff. Between the 0% Stamina and -60% SSI debuff, they swing so slow that i can bandy heal (4 secs) between their swings. When paired with a Fencer, i let him get Pierce off three times to drop them to 0% Stam in 30 seconds, then i keep Stagger on the Captain as me and the Fencer cross heal with bandies (2 secs). Can kill Exodus that way too. Haven't had a Fencer partner in awhile though, hard to find non-Swordsman nowadays.
Is there anything else to your strategy? I made a similar toon for this purpose and haven't had great success trying to solo the captains.