• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

If there were a new playable race

If there were a new playable race should it be....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Orcs have been my vote since the tree huggin Elves were brought into the world....... With a flappy winged Gargoyle chaser :)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Orc for me. Without a doubt. I don't think they'll ever do dwarf as the character models would need to be a diffferent size which I'm sure would be problematic. Shame as orc and dwarf have the best RP opportunities.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I chose the Dwarf... there are already costumes (Which at the Party they said they were going to make a way to wear a costume and not lose a slot!) So one can already RP an Orc or Goblin... so Dwarf... I have had one of those in game for years be nice if he looked the part. Rik Gemtracker my T-Hunter RP wise has always been a Dwarf. He mostly works for gems.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fuzzies (Ultima III)
Bobbits (Ultima III)

Wingless gargoyles (Ultima VI)
Emps (Ultima VII)
Gwani (Ultima VII Part 2)
Sakkhra aka Kotl -- lizardmen (I don't know why the UO designers changed the Sakkhra into humans for UO, and the Kotl into aliens -- what the pancake devs)
Haakur -- another nonhuman Eodon tribe that we didn't get
Plantals (Martian Dreams)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Dwarf ALL the way for me... along with a racial bonus to damage dealt with axes and a nice lil bump in strength. My Sampire would be a lady dwarf with a beard in a millisecond :D

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
UO will never compare to Warcraft Goblins, I'm going with Orcs as well, but do have fond memories of goblins on Chessy.

NO NEW ARMOR SETS THOUGH. Let them use the legacy armor.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Orcs have been my vote since the tree huggin Elves were brought into the world....... With a flappy winged Gargoyle chaser :)
I'm sorry we got elves. It should have been Orcs. Orcs had a very big presence in UO, and with player participation had rather unique character, instead they just plucked a random fantasy race off the shelf... Gargs were a good choice cept the fact that they look terrible IMO.

If I had a choice it would be Orcs, then Ratmen + Lizardmen, followed by Ophidans + Terathans.

Please, never dwarves. Stick to UO stuff rather than the stock standard nonsense of elves and dwarves. Let them stay in D&D where they belong.

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Elves and Dwarves were playable races in Ultima I-III. Far as undead goes necromancy gives you 3 playable forms of undead with different abilities. Unfortunately 2 of those cannot ride mounts.

Reactions: Lug

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No orcs got enough of that with WOW. Goblins are coming. Dwarfs would be cool. Why not something different like Pixie or Centaur.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Orcs are already doable with the use of polymorph or wearing the various sorts of orc masks. I would vote for something more difficult to represent like terrathans and ophidians or maybe something more unusual and unique like a Leontaur (Dwarfish torso on a lion's body). I would also still like to request some mechanisms which would let us move the Halloween masks to a different slot so I could use a weapon while roleplaying one of those creatures the masks let you transform into. I'd also request more types of halloween masks!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Orcs are already doable with the use of polymorph or wearing the various sorts of orc masks. I would vote for something more difficult to represent like terrathans and ophidians or maybe something more unusual and unique like a Leontaur (Dwarfish torso on a lion's body). I would also still like to request some mechanisms which would let us move the Halloween masks to a different slot so I could use a weapon while roleplaying one of those creatures the masks let you transform into. I'd also request more types of halloween masks!
You can look like a orc you can't be a ORC.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry we got elves. It should have been Orcs. Orcs had a very big presence in UO, and with player participation had rather unique character, instead they just plucked a random fantasy race off the shelf... Gargs were a good choice cept the fact that they look terrible IMO.

If I had a choice it would be Orcs, then Ratmen + Lizardmen, followed by Ophidans + Terathans.

Please, never dwarves. Stick to UO stuff rather than the stock standard nonsense of elves and dwarves. Let them stay in D&D where they belong.
Totally agree even on the order you list, Gargs and Orcs have had the most consistent and persistent presence in UO History. Sadly almost all of my characters are Elves simply because of the mana bump and night sight........ other than that I really do dislike them. The Ratmen and Lizard men are high up there as well. But Back to Orcs to see a bit of Orc society visit the Orc Mine, a rich and yes violent culture who despite popular belief are skilled in craftsmanship even if rough around the edges and engineering that puts the other races to shame if not in quality..... in effectiveness. And the models are there just need some refinement, no need to create a bunch of new lore what was not there was player created. LOL I have been a Orc at heart for 20+ years so I am biased :)

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can look like a orc you can't be a ORC.
Wear a mask of orcish kin. Then you can hangout with the orcs and not be attacked. That's more like an orc than even a race addition because that may not give you immunity from attack by orcs. After all, elves still get attacked by those elven bandits in Ilshenar.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think perhaps not just think of a race but what special abilities can they have to go with and augment our character classes.

In most other games... not just D&D...

Man - JOAT. Ok we got this
Elf - Mage, Archer Woodlands type, ok we got this but can't seem to see any advantage being an archer with elf. Mage yes with 20 mana perhaps...

Gargoyle - only advantage is Imbuing needs to be gargoyle, with better chance of success...

So for the other races like meet, dwarf, orcs, goblin what type of character type should use them?

I am thinking we need races that are suited for thieves or ninja type (like cat race in Dragonage), powerful warrior type with higher max strength for more damage (orcs, dragon people etc), elves should get a boost in max intel instead of just mana... or they should have higher max stamina for archery.

Along those lines...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think perhaps not just think of a race but what special abilities can they have to go with and augment our character classes.

In most other games... not just D&D...

Man - JOAT. Ok we got this
Elf - Mage, Archer Woodlands type, ok we got this but can't seem to see any advantage being an archer with elf. Mage yes with 20 mana perhaps...

Gargoyle - only advantage is Imbuing needs to be gargoyle, with better chance of success...

So for the other races like meet, dwarf, orcs, goblin what type of character type should use them?

I am thinking we need races that are suited for thieves or ninja type (like cat race in Dragonage), powerful warrior type with higher max strength for more damage (orcs, dragon people etc), elves should get a boost in max intel instead of just mana... or they should have higher max stamina for archery.

Along those lines...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That is how I am thinking :) and why I reject the you can look like Orc already stance. For Orcs A Str and HP Buff maybe a 200 STR Cap for massive hits but a Dex and Int Cap to balance it out. Would make hard hitting tanks but say 30% slower from caps? A couple of JOAT like abilities in Alchemy and Poisoning, I mean what other race tosses bombs at you :) Some kind of bonus to reforging.

Meer would be mage types, I always though Spellweaving would be very well suited to them. They also pretty much have the Cat thing covered.

Goblins would be a thief type IMO that likes to pee on things.

Different races should have more pronounced strengths and weaknesses IMO not just in crafting but in stats and basic abilities.

In the end I would want something that already exist as the base model and a lot of the animations for a character already exist in the code. Pretty sure they can play with the stats pretty easily to add racial bonuses and penalties. Something like a reforging bonus in giving better odds for the properties desired might be a bit of a challenge but I would imagine not out of reach. I think something that already exist and can be refined a bit, would have a much higher chance of happening than building something from the ground up within the old code.

And Whomever said Pandas NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[X]Other-- Ophidians. Why does every playable race have to be humanoid?
Probably because of animations and it being a decent final product to look at :) Seems it would be easy to take the standard Human model, re-skin it and build the stats, penalties and any new animations from what already exist rather than something outside of that model that has limited animations and is probably a whole different model than what is easiest to build on. Seems I remember some Dev or another saying something similar about elves when they were pooped out.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wear a mask of orcish kin. Then you can hangout with the orcs and not be attacked. That's more like an orc than even a race addition because that may not give you immunity from attack by orcs. After all, elves still get attacked by those elven bandits in Ilshenar.
you have to give up an equipment slot to look like an Orc, this is not the same as being an orc with a special racial bonus.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Off topic: UO changed the Ophidians from human (Ultima VII part II) to those naga-esque folks you're more familiar with.

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The next player race in UO has to be Dwarfs. Its the most recognizable player race from Ultima 1 (that isnt currently a player race) that has the most potential to bring in new players. UO needs new players.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
you have to give up an equipment slot to look like an Orc, this is not the same as being an orc with a special racial bonus.
At the Party Mesanna mentioned them working on something that would negate that... so one could play an orc or goblin without slot loss.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Role played Orcs have a long history in this game with an actual language and guilds revolving around them. Its time! WTH they ever made Gargs is beyond me.
My guess is it's harder to RP a Gargoyle and easy to RP an Orc... without them making the race... just a guess. I rather like the gargoyles... they also work for demons.

Blind Otto

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, you can role play as an orc right now. Orcs, especially Shadowclan, have always been great fun.
However, compare being an orc to being an elf/gargoyle:
An orc loses an item slot to be an orc. E/G does not.
An orc changes appearance when he dies. E/G does not.
An orc's "face" need replacing/repairs on a regular basis. E/G does not.
Blessing/Insurance notwithstanding, an orc can completely lose his appearance when he is killed and looted. E/G cannot.
I'm all for orcs getting more love, because right now, comparing orcs to elves is comparing chalk and cheese.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, you can role play as an orc right now. Orcs, especially Shadowclan, have always been great fun.
Blessing/Insurance notwithstanding, an orc can completely lose his appearance when he is killed and looted. E/G cannot.
I'm all for orcs getting more love, because right now, comparing orcs to elves is comparing chalk and cheese.
But chalk is good for you . . .

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
These are very good points, and I will support more races for the roleplayers for those reasons.

Personally, I would be fine if there were only humans. The only reason I have any elves is because they can use more gear and they are better than humans at some things. Which is why I generally don't like more species being added, because usually when trying to make them "different" all that happens is that they will be just better or worse at what people were planning to do with them, and that's all the choice to play one would come down to. If dwarves come along and are straight up better blacksmiths, what's the point of my human blacksmith?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Orcs more strength and have a better blacksmith ability
Better Blacksmithing ? That's Dwarves...did you SEE the junk the orcs in LoTR made ? Pieces of metal with chunks in it for swords..pieces of metal with holes in them for helmets...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Better Blacksmithing ? That's Dwarves...did you SEE the junk the orcs in LoTR made ? Pieces of metal with chunks in it for swords..pieces of metal with holes in them for helmets...
And many elves and humans were killed by those chunks of metal :)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can imbue masks of orcish kin and orc masks, just like you can other helmets.
But that limits what equipment you can use. The point I am making is that I want to be an actual orc with a racial bonus like the elves and gargoyles and humans have. Being a human with human bonuses that looks like an Orc is not the same, period.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The next player race in UO has to be Dwarfs. Its the most recognizable player race from Ultima 1 (that isnt currently a player race) that has the most potential to bring in new players. UO needs new players.
And Garriott nixed them for a reason in later games. As for the notion that a playable dwarf race would bring in new players, how do I put this diplomatically... that seems highly unlikely.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are no dwarves in UO, or in any of the fully developed Ultima games. There are Orcs. This isn't a D&D setting or Middle Earth... it's Sosaria.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are no dwarves in UO, or in any of the fully developed Ultima games. There are Orcs. This isn't a D&D setting or Middle Earth... it's Sosaria.
Exactly! The only thing I would add is we don't need WOWs version of Orcs either :)

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
According to EM Bennu UO has dwarves. One of them is even serving as the Governor of Minoc on ATL. :p

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The discussion was over Orcs and their supposed brilliance at Blacksmithing, which I disagreed with.