• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) If It Even Worth It Anymore?

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I figure it is worth it, because even though griefers did appear at Vesper's Oktoberfest and destroyed my maze, I did manage to entertain a fair few people before it got completely ruined. :)

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
BEEES HARD FER MEES TO KEEPS UP WIF EVENTS (PLAY 2 SHARDS)
MEEES TRIES TO MAKE WOT MEEES REMEBERS
MEEES OLD AN REMEMBER BEES A BIT BROKEN. SWOORY
OZOG

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yosef, I think the only thing you can do is try to focus on those who are enjoying it and try your best not to worry about those who get off on tearing things down. While I don't know any specifics about the events you're referring to, maybe try to find a way to execute your ideas that minimizes their vulnerability. It's not ideal, but at least it might cut down on the headaches.

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my mind it is the player events that truly inspire the community into action and that stimulates interest.

While as an EM my job is similar, the format for such events are much different.

As a community leader, you have been behind the scenes of multiple events and story arcs, and even this week helped touch off a large swath of action by the King that no one will expect.

In this age of the Conseil du Roi the role of the 'community leaders' in the guise of community driven player events is at a high. As EM I may nudge the ship in certain directions due to my action, inaction or words. But it is the community, its player leaders and participants that really determine the course, speed, and stability.

Yosef, you have done a lot of good. Don't get discouraged by a few bumps in the road. In short, don't sweat the small stuff, and don't give away the whole cupcake just because the sprinkles are a bit stale sometimes.

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I do understand what your getting at Yosef. Every event I and friends have ever hosted had been ruined in one fashion or another with grievers. Which is why I WILL stand by what I've said all along and will never change my opinion about the subject:

grievers should be permanent banned from the game on a second or third offense.

There is a certain player on Atlantic (Can't name him because of stratics rules) that was harassing me for 2 weeks straight. This goes back to my complaints on the GM's in this game. Their priorities, in my observed opinion, are in the wrong place. (Of course, I could be misjudging but I make this decision based on what I've witnessed)

Example: They ban people for afk macroing but will let someone 'off the radar' for consistent harassment and WILL DO NOTHING ABOUT IT.

All I got from the GM's was that they will look into it. I paged the first day this happened.... the harassment lasted minimum of two weeks. He bashed my name in, tried to ruin my reputation and somewhat succeeded. Saying I was a scammer/thief/liar. And as a result of the slanders, I had countless people not submit items to my auction because I am not 'trustworthy'.

1) I've never scammed anyone before
2) I've been scammed in the past for the sum of over 1bil gold
3) I ABSOLUTELY hate scammers and liars

I took a sum of forty (40) screenshots of this said person harassing me and emailed Mesanna, hoping this nightmare would come to an end. I know Mesanna is busy and I honestly don't know if she even took a look at my emai, but I received no response from her and no action done to stop the harassment.

So to answer your question Yosef, to a point it's worth it, and I'm not trying to be a downer or negative. I'm just tired of spending countless hours on something and someone coming in and in a matter of seconds, destroys everything... and not one thing can be done about it because we have people who are hired as GM's that do nothing to contribute anything positive to the game.

Example:

1) You wait minimum of 4 hours - maximum of 4 days to hear a response from them after a page

I, along with friends, have hosted over 50+ player ran events... and everything was either somewhat or completely tarnished by grievers. And yes, they were paged on and I see them to this day doing the same exact thing to other people.

I will always continue to provide entertainment for the public, even at the expense of it being destroyed by someone else, because that's who I am, I love giving to people and I love helping.

That being said, you will have to come to realization as I have:

Everything that you do, is pixilated. Therefore, at the end of the day, those who base their life on ruining the enjoyment of others in a game is bound to have no life of their own outside of this game. So take a step back from the computer screen after it is all said and done, and focus on something in real life. Because the real fact here is that this game will eventually die out because people like that, the ones who want to ruin this game, have free reign in this game. So eventually, everyone will get tired of it... and quit, as a few dear friends of mine recently did.

Host events, but only do it for the pleasure of knowing that it's for the people who actually care.

Best regards,

Alexander of Toad Town

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wasn't trying to be completely negative, but after all, the truth hurts. And honestly, the "don't worry about it, just keep your head high" concept isn't really going to fix the issue, now is it?

;)

Last edited:

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
wee have had plowed thur crap likie this. giefers are poor humanbeings
just keep trying they get amazed easily and devrerted easily

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And honestly, the "don't worry about it, just keep your head high" concept isn't really going to fix the issue, now is it?
I learned a long time ago to work with what you have. Ask for more, hope for more, work towards more... but work with what you have, because standing around hoping doesn't build or solve anything.

Griefers and Trolls are fueled by the suffering and rage of their victims. The best weapon against them is starvation.

Last edited:

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Very true. But it does get frustrating when you do what your suppose to and report them, and the people running the game isn't doing what they are paid to do. Poor customer service, we pay to play the game at our leisure... not tolerate childish behavior from so called 'adults'.

And what I meant when I stated the above was... we have no power. To concretely get rid of this issue... is to get the GM's to do what they are SUPPOSE to do in the first place. Otherwise, why the hell is there a report button in the game when the paying customers are going to be ignored in the first place? I just don't understand it and will never understand it... this game has so many flaws about it and the biggest one imo is the GM system.

I know showing anger towards the abusive just fuels their reason to continue, but at the same time, why should we have to tolerate it?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My view on this, is yes, it is nearly guaranteed that griefers will show up to all events, so since we know this, why not create grief-proof events? for example, if you hold the event inside a house, all the decorations are locked to the floor and cannot be stolen, and you can simply ban the griefer. If you want to have an event outside of a house, post on stratics like you normally would, but instead of saying the location say "meet at minoc bank and we will moongate you to the event location" or something like that. if there is a griefer at the posted location, just party everyone and pick a new location to moongate the crowd from. yes, it is a bit complicated, and if anyone is late they will have a hard time finding the event but it seems to be the only way to effectively beat the griefers in my opinion.

Last edited:

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
QSoar, can you draw me a picture of my house being towed to the center of Jhelom please. That will fix em!

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You plain your event for Hours, Days/Weeks to have one of the two guaranteed possibilities.
1. Grefer comes and takes everthing
2. No-one shows up

Yes grieving has definitely led to less event participation by many players. It is sad that GMs and many EMs don't understand the value to their game of doing something about some of the more extreme antisocial behavior. It use to really bother me in the past, but finally I realized 'Hey this isn't fun, why am I doing this again?' So I just stopped attending EM events. No story line or item drop has even remotely been worth the hassle.

EM Bennu is right, you can only do what you can do. You should run or attend events only because you enjoy doing it. Life is too short to have tons of stress in a game that's suppose to be fun! Take a step back and find the things you like about UO and do those instead.