• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) if i close my account?

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what are the best things for me to do to close my account or let them lapse into non-payment?

i will be selling my house and castle
i have a few more things then i can put into bank i think.
can i or not have pack horses loaded with items?
or should i get a beetle and load that up and ride it?
i am currently a gargoyle and would have to change to a human?

do i fill my bank with soul stones and other items? or should they be on my person?

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
what are the best things for me to do to close my account or let them lapse into non-payment?

i will be selling my house and castle
i have a few more things then i can put into bank i think.
can i or not have pack horses loaded with items?
or should i get a beetle and load that up and ride it?
i am currently a gargoyle and would have to change to a human?

do i fill my bank with soul stones and other items? or should they be on my person?
Sell your houses and store your belongings in your backpacks first then bank, not in your pack animals. You'll have to wait 4 months after your gametime expires before coming back to UO for free

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i guess it would depend on how much stuff you actually have.
-i personally would put all my non blessed items which i would not want to loose in my bankbox.
-the blessed items like soulstones, deeded mats, certain holiday gifts(that i would want), item blessed clothing, ect. i would keep on me in my backpack
-everything else that i that i could loose but could live with would go in a beetle and i would log out in a safe place like vesper.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Currently if you are on a beetle and under EJ status, if you get off of it, you can't get back on it..and you only have a 20 item limit in your bank so do NOT store stuff on a beetle!

Zalfein

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you close your account, you can play until the end of the billing period.

No packed horses loaded with items, but you can be sitting on a full beetle (so not an option for a gargoyle). I like TerMur, no VvV with a safe path to a moongate.

If you don't have friends when you come back, it's going to be hard to look for a house with a beetle.

I left and came back several times. I have a gargoyle with backpack loaded with blessed items, with stealth on and magery with a placement tool (and money in bank), and a runebook with the location of my 2nd character, an elf sitting on a beetle (mainly resources that can be replaced).

Last time, I placed a small house before leaving in case I wanted to come back within 3 months.

Z

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going through the same process Lorddog and trying to close accounts.

It doesn't appear there is any limit on the number of EJ accounts you can make from you account management main page, near the top there is option to create a new trial account->choose ultima->create the account.

Then you can create a character on Siege and put them someplace safe to hold 125 items. Lot of hassle to create all them, if you have a lot of stuff, but seems a pretty safe way to leave the game and be able to return at some point without regret.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with the free versions do you have a limit on your bank items? so i should only put 20 items in it?
also do you not have an option to create a house with the free version?

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
First, sorry to see you go :( But if it is time to move on, then enjoy the next page in the book of your life! After a long break and other MMOs get boring, or RL gets less hectic, UO might look tempting again.

Since you ARE packing up ahead of time, I would also like to suggest using EJ to your advantage. This post is long, sorry, but it seems like there might be a few people packing up so I want to be thorough so that it is easier for them to return, even just to visit.

EJ is nice for a stroll down memory lane or just to check in and see if the game has something new to get you interested again, or for a short vacation from other MMOs - or just life in general. It is a way to visit UO whenever the whim strikes to see old friends, explore changes to UO, or go on a killing spree. A fully loaded account that converts to EJ would not be able to use the overflowing bank properly, or do much while weighed down with your items. Your main char would be kind of stuck unless you subscribed, and less able to explore. Also, there is always the risk of logging into a global or EM invasion, no matter how safe you think your logout area was.

You can always create an EJ later just to explore, but there are better options since you are actually planning your hibernation. You can create an army of EJ to store your items one backpack inventory and 20-count bank vault at a time. Or, you can subscribe a new account just for a month to load it up instead of your main. The Devs have said they are making a way to remove items from subbed bank boxes that become overflowing because they were downgraded to EJ, so in theory you would not need to resub that account to access those items later. Probably. Either rout would allow you to be able to casually dabble in UO as EJ on your main char, with all the account upgrades, skills, SS, stats, pets, etc. In both cases, you must wait 120 days before you can access either account without subscribing. Another option is to load up your main account that has full (and probably upgraded) bank storage, and set up a new EJ char with supplies from your main to be the one you play to check in on UO now and then. You can always take these back on your main if you subscribe again some day, but in the meantime you will have a playable character to enjoy once you level the skills.

Either way, here's some info on EJ limitations:

* EJ chars cannot own a house or use most locked down/secured house items (including containers) even if they are set to anyone, so store blessed items that will function in your pack that you actually USE - dye tubs, seed box, ethy, runebooks, snowpile, etc. Give it your gold, your best blessed event spellbooks, blessed clothing, etc. (Things you can store in your pack without fear of theft or death.) Limit the bank to 20 of your non-blessed items that you USE - like a luck statue, etc. EJ can only add or remove ENTIRE stacks of items from the bank directly to and from their pack, so this means stacks of resources are limited in weight to what you can actually hold. They cannot withdraw only a portion of a stack.
* EJ cannot use com deeds or BOD books, so do not bother storing these things unless you are prepared to have a subscribed friend help you with them. Since PS, alacrtiy, etc books and jewelry box do not function in pack or bank, do not bother to store that either.
* EJ cannot place a ship, but they can use one if a subscriber puts it in the water an gives them access. If you are setting up your main account as EJ, you can place a ship before the account closes and keep it refreshed with an EJ (needs High Seas to board it if you place a galleon), or have a friend maintain it. If you or they later forget and it decays, well you are no worse off than if you hadn't tried (except some gold).
* EJ can use pack animals, but like everyone else, the animal will NOT log out with them if is loaded. EJ can NOT mount a loaded pack beetle (though they can use it to carry things, and mount it once it is empty again.) If your subscribed account goes human/elf and loads up a beetle, stay on it if you visit later as EJ! You will not be able to re-mount.
* EJ with the correct account upgrade can use the NM stalls to buy/sell resources, or just store them. They cannot use com deeds, but that just means they need to make a friend. I do not know for sure what happens to a paid up NM stall when a subscribed account goes dormant, but I think it remains. Confirm that first somewhere if you can, but it might be an option. Make sure your auto renew bid amount is REALLY high.

For me, the limits of EJ create a game lifestyle where you are not addicted to consumption and possessions, and truly love and use every single one of the items that you DO have. This is great concept IRL also imo. /soapbox. Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck wherever life takes you now. :)

Last edited:

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what about my vet rewards? on Penny she is 247 months age and has 13 vet rewards she can pick.
does she lose those picks if going to the free version. would the rewards come back if i started paying again?

maybe i need to clear out my rewards before closing accounts (for the future of the EJ free version)?

Last edited:

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
As it stands now, EJ cannot earn or claim vet rewards. But the clock starts ticking and the gump pops up again once the account is subscribed. If you intend on staying EJ, then you might want to claim them now. Otherwise, they will wait for you.

On a related note, a +5 stat cap increase is available to all accounts as a 6 month veteran reward - that means subscribed. An EJ vet account that has earned that bonus gets to keep using it even as an EJ. New EJ accounts may only have 2 characters per prodo shard - but if they subscribe, even a single month of veteran time allows them to create the usual 6 or 7 chars per shard. Those characters remain accessible if the account returns to EJ status.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i cannot find this +5 stat cap vet reward (or is it automatic without picking a vet reward?)

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It was automatic at 6 months, with a popup message when you logged in. It is given to every character on every qualifying account, so it is not something that needs to be claimed.