• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Idocs are obsolete

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After lots of discussion of Mesanna's intervention at a recent idoc to save a players soulstones it made me finally post my views about the need for an idoc change.

Why were idocs originally made to drop all loot to the ground?
--- because the servers couldnt handle storing that many items.

But that function is obsolete. with the current playerbase, every single house/castle/etc could have all those items stored in the system waiting for the player to return.

This is just a plain fact. i dont think there is any risk of the player base increasing tenfold to overflow the servers anytime soon.

What this would accomplish:
--- players whos houses fell would be much more likely to return to the game rather than never come back.
--- it would give daily game content higher value, and more of a reason to play. right now we have a flood of items from 20 years of players because very few of them are left to decay, or ever even temporarily leave the economy (such as would be the case if they were stored in the players bank until return)

In short. we dont need items from idocs. theres plenty of items, and new ones spawning every day.
It would make doing content more worth doing, and keep more people playing rather than just buying cheap idoc loot to get those items. I would rather see players whos houses fell come back to the game than maintain an outdated system for sake of tradition.

Yes, the hardcore idocers would not be a fan of this. but lets face it, idocing was never "game content" but rather a side effect created to solve a problem of server limits. Yes a few might quit if idocing is all they do, but if a player cant find something else of enjoyment in all of UO than that person probably should find a different game anyway. Theres plenty of other things to do to have fun, and plenty of other ways to make gold. It would be worth saving the remaining veterans we have left in the game.

Now i know this wont be a popular topic, most people who agree with me never post on UOhall and will never see this post. Im sure those who left UO forever because they lost all their stuff would surely agree with me.

Before anyone starts about it, the "preserving history" reasoning is rubbish because those items could be returned if the player came back. and all in all, its the nature of all history, real life included that much of it is lost. thats the way of the world.

and yes, many people do come back to uo after losing everthing. but thats happening less and less. that arguement may be true for some, but much much less true than even 5 years ago.

I can not think of 1 good reason why we need idocs anymore or 1 reason they are not bad for the game in its current state.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I say do away with them completely, or create a new lootable item "IDOC key". Stop showing the status of idocs, instead when a house enters decay status make it create a key that's placed into the random loot tables. Get a house key, win a house. Having the key in your possession simply allows you to open the locked door. Opening the door automatically sets you as a co owner free to take what you want. This can be tweaked , but you get the idea.

Little ideas like this is what would keep this game alive. Yeah idocs are fun if you like standing there (if you're honest) for 15 hrs. Killings monsters and checking for a key....way funner. The keys of course should be "shard only", or maybe not idk.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just for clarification, would the items all go to moving crate similar to when you transfer a char?

I assume the house would still drop, and allow the plot to be open but all items would be saved for a returning player.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just for clarification, would the items all go to moving crate similar to when you transfer a char?

I assume the house would still drop, and allow the plot to be open but all items would be saved for a returning player.
It would make more sense for it to be like this.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I say do away with them completely, or create a new lootable item "IDOC key". Stop showing the status of idocs, instead when a house enters decay status make it create a key that's placed into the random loot tables. Get a house key, win a house. Having the key in your possession simply allows you to open the locked door. Opening the door automatically sets you as a co owner free to take what you want. This can be tweaked , but you get the idea.

Little ideas like this is what would keep this game alive. Yeah idocs are fun if you like standing there (if you're honest) for 15 hrs. Killings monsters and checking for a key....way funner. The keys of course should be "shard only", or maybe not idk.
i disagree because then the items would still be out of the hands of the account owner.

the point is the person whos house it is needs to be able to keep all those items for when they come back.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

yes, something similar to a transfer crate. it seems very easy to implement. and yeah the house would still drop to open up the plot.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
idocing was never "game content" but rather a side effect created to solve a problem of server limits. Yes a few might quit if idocing is all they do, but if a player cant find something else of enjoyment in all of UO than that person probably should find a different game anyway
Idocing is more like a playing style, you like to collect rares but others only do idocs. I disagree with your statement cuz honestly the last thing we need is to lose more players... I would rather they fix the current idoc system so everyone has a fair chance of getting the loot. Right now only a few players get all these items/lots do to better "programs" and the fact that they figured out the timing better than others, either make them fall faster or tweak the timing to make it fair for those that attend

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What this would accomplish:
--- players whos houses fell would be much more likely to return to the game rather than never come back.
--- it would give daily game content higher value, and more of a reason to play. right now we have a flood of items from 20 years of players because very few of them are left to decay, or ever even temporarily leave the economy (such as would be the case if they were stored in the players bank until return)
Good points. I think it's actually a good idea. Would be cool if fel idocs worked the same way they do now, and tram idocs work the way you are suggesting. Kind of consistent with the risks of fel vs tram, and I just really like the PVP that fel idocs end up bringing.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Idocing is more like a playing style, you like to collect rares but others only do idocs. I disagree with your statement cuz honestly the last thing we need is to lose more players... I would rather they fix the current idoc system so everyone has a fair chance of getting the loot. Right now only a few players get all these items/lots do to better "programs" and the fact that they figured out the timing better than others, either make them fall faster or tweak the timing to make it fair for those that attend
again, ill re-iterate that idocs were never meant to be game content, or a playstyle. you could say the same that scamming is a playstyle. and yes im sure some would agree with you. and quit the game if they couldnt scam. but not everything in the game is good for it, and some things do outlive their functionality.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im sure will be some more lively discussion.

I know a change will probably never happen, but just wanted to throw my ideas on idocs out there because of the issues with it in the last few days.

who know maybe the devs will see this and think about it.

You have to admit, my proposed changes would solve all those issues from the other thread. there would have been no need for mesanna to manually save the players soulstones.

Last edited:

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You have to admit, my proposed changes would solve all those issues
People leaving the game is not a solution in my books and Idocs have been around since the game started, agreed something needs to be done and your post is a good read... it's not the best solution to the problem though

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

The current idoc system is a turd.

One of the more well known idoc people said something in Great Lakes chat the other day about using Pincos to snag all three open Luna plots. The price on each was 1 plantinum or $100.

As far as reducing time for Idocs, I've emailed them regarding this and is met with no response. But to be fair, the first time I asked about it the answer was pretty much there was no changes intended to be made.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People leaving the game is not a solution in my books and Idocs have been around since the game started, agreed something needs to be done and your post is a good read... it's not the best solution to the problem though
you dont agree that less people would be likely to leave the game permantly (rather than take short break until the account was re-activated) if they knew all their stuff was safely waiting for them?

an idocer said today that he does 50 idocs a week. hopes of those players returning are currently slim to none. so even if 50 people who have idocing as a "playstyle" left because they couldnt loot houses, overall, in a years time (or possibly even 1 weeks time), i guarantee it would lead to losing less players than in the current system.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The current idoc system is a turd.

One of the more well known idoc people said something in Great Lakes chat the other day about using Pincos to snag all three open Luna plots. The price on each was 1 plantinum or $100.

As far as reducing time for Idocs, I've emailed them regarding this and is met with no response. But to be fair, the first time I asked about it the answer was pretty much there was no changes intended to be made.
That chat you mention, it's not the IDOC system that's broken, its that RMT isn't enforced. If they were to consider a change like this I would like it to come after they take a strong stance against RMT, and Scripting, and actively and noticeably do something about it. Until those are addressed you can't effectively evaluate any the impact of IDOCs, the EM program etc. because all of these are being exploited for that end.

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
you dont agree that less people would be likely to leave the game permantly (rather than take short break until the account was re-activated) if they knew all their stuff was safely waiting for them?
That's why we have bank boxes, if people leave and don't put important stuff there than it's their fault when the house goes into idoc. Don't you agree?

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like the idea of smoot. But it would need something to stop abusing this.

Something like only Account bound items/vet rewards will be 100℅ Safe. From the Rest a random number will be inside the burning House for which you need to "enter" by unlocking the the "door" with a passkey from a captcha. Then you got teleported inside the House which will then be in his state a random number of Minuten till it Fall down and the stuff is gone.
After that a random placing time delay up to 1 week with random Spawn that kills afk scripter.

The items in the House (don't have to be the initial House can be something nice) would have chests and boxes so that you actually need to search them for items

This would Limit scripting a good amount and the Owner May have 50% stuff left

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's why we have bank boxes, if people leave and don't put important stuff there than it's their fault when the house goes into idoc. Don't you agree?
yes i do agree its their own fault, but that doesnt mean the game shouldnt still work to help them. if a person is careless and falls into a river, it may be his own fault, but i would also try to save that person rather than let him drown just to take his stuff.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea of smoot. But it would need something to stop abusing this.

Something like only Account bound items/vet rewards will be 100℅ Safe. From the Rest a random number will be inside the burning House for which you need to "enter" by unlocking the the "door" with a passkey from a captcha. Then you got teleported inside the House which will then be in his state a random number of Minuten till it Fall down and the stuff is gone.
After that a random placing time delay up to 1 week with random Spawn that kills afk scripter.

The items in the House (don't have to be the initial House can be something nice) would have chests and boxes so that you actually need to search them for items

This would Limit scripting a good amount and the Owner May have 50% stuff left
i know what you mean, i suppose some would use it just for storage. but i still think it would be worth saving those players who otherwise may never come back. at this point in the game, we need players. i think the $$ of potential players we wouldnt lose permanantly would outweigh any abuses of using just for storage.

but these are all really just basic ideas anyway. details, if something like this was actually going to done by the devs would of course have to be fine tuned, analyzed and decided upon what would be best overall.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That chat you mention, it's not the IDOC system that's broken, its that RMT isn't enforced. If they were to consider a change like this I would like it to come after they take a strong stance against RMT, and Scripting, and actively and noticeably do something about it. Until those are addressed you can't effectively evaluate any the impact of IDOCs, the EM program etc. because all of these are being exploited for that end.
i dont see what RMT has to do with any of this. were talking about how likely a player would be to come back to the game if they were able to keep all items / soulstones / etc vrs how likely they are to come back if everything is looted. that has nothing to do with scripting, rmt, cheating etc etc.

all of those things you refer too only come into play if items ARE able to be looted. the exact opposite of my suggestion.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
i dont see what RMT has to do with any of this. were talking about how likely a player would be to come back to the game if they were able to keep all items / soulstones / etc vrs how likely they are to come back if everything is looted. that has nothing to do with scripting, rmt, cheating etc etc.

all of those things you refer too only come into play if items ARE able to be looted. the exact opposite of my suggestion.
Might have something to do with why I didn't quote your Original Post.

But on that, they need to leave the game well enough alone until they do something to address what's actually wrong and detrimental, they've over complicated too much of the game to make it new or returning player friendly through their incessant tinkering with systems that aren't broke while ignoring what is.

At this point, while yes losing stuff at an IDOC may be bad for one returning player, they are also at times a boon for others. A player returning from say SE or ML era game play will be so far behind the curve, even if they banked a majority of their stuff, and unless they have a large quantity of gold they can struggle. IDOC's provide an opportunity for players in this situation just like they do for new players to acquire items they can convert to gold easily in order to purchase competitive equipment.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*awakes from his spot by the fire and waves the barkeep over to bring his breakfast*

Idocs have been a very enjoyable playstyle for almost 2 decades now.

Scripters have for sure tarnished that tremendously and brag openly about it. Currently it is not something I engage in do to that.

Many good friendships and community building ideas came from those watch parties waiting on a house to fall. A lot of god friends over the years and stories to go with a time well spent.

*Lifts a Glass of Good Old Moonglow Red in honor of old friends and the adventures of looting buildings in danger of collapse*

I long for those good days again

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Nexus while i agree with you that there are many issues to fix with UO, i dont think your seeing the long term effects of having idocs be non-lootable when it comes to returning players, or players trying to make gold (the main reason players do idocs)

current system:
professional idocer sells looted ornys for 10m each on his idoc vendor.

that means the average player is only going to get the same amount, 10m for ornies he loots from doom (doing actual content)

if those idoc ornies all remained in storage of the inactive account, that orny the player loots from doom might be worth 50m (because of lack of competition and market flooding from idoc loot)

In my opinion, the latter would be a better option because it would encourage actually playing the game, doing the content, rather than doing the "artificial content" of idocing.

in the end, that returning player you spoke of doing idocs just for the gold would be able to make more gold from playing the normal game. to me, doing intended content, playing the actual game and having it be more worthwhile far outshines sitting and staring at an idoc for hours.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Many good friendships and community building ideas came from those watch parties waiting on a house to fall. A lot of god friends over the years and stories to go with a time well spent.
and how many more friendships could have been formed if those players who had those houses looted didnt leave the game forever because their stuff was gone ;)

just sayin.

there are plenty of opportunities for community gatherings. if idocs are the only thing that can fill that need then what have i been doing at tavern nights, auctions, player run events, banksitting, spawns, pvp arenas etc etc for 20 years?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
@Nexus while i agree with you that there are many issues to fix with UO, i dont think your seeing the long term effects of having idocs be non-lootable when it comes to returning players, or players trying to make gold (the main reason players do idocs)

current system:
professional idocer sells looted ornys for 10m each on his idoc vendor.

that means the average player is only going to get the same amount, 10m for ornies he loots from doom (doing actual content)

if those idoc ornies all remained in storage of the inactive account, that orny the player loots from doom might be worth 50m (because of lack of competition and market flooding from idoc loot)

In my opinion, the latter would be a better option because it would encourage actually playing the game, doing the content, rather than doing the "artificial content" of idocing.

in the end, that returning player you spoke of doing idocs just for the gold would be able to make more gold from playing the normal game. to me, doing intended content, playing the actual game and having it be more worthwhile far outshines sitting and staring at an idoc for hours.
See you're starting to get into exactly what I'm saying. How much content is friendly to new or returning players who are far behind the curve? I used to hit the easier Dungeons with newer characters to train while making a little gold for their bank box, how long would I have to kill creatures in Wrong to get enough gold to buy a really good pair gloves or a good weapon? What about the revamped dungeons where monster difficulty has been beefed to match the newer loot tables? Should you mine and collect leather for 6 months to sell for 1 piece of equipment?

Until a new or returning player means to get up to speed are in place, why take away one of the few avenues left?

Let me add to this

You can't quantify how many people "Might have returned" you simply can't, but you can quantify those who have returned. I'd rather focus on benefiting them, than trying to benefit a completely unknown variable.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
and how many more friendships could have been formed if those players who had those houses looted didnt leave the game forever because their stuff was gone ;)

just sayin.
The vast majority of house that fall are from people who have left the game already loosing their stuff really isn't an issue for them as they decided to leave.

The hundreds returning over the years that I have talked to are really not concerned about their old stuff as everything evolved in armor, weapons, spells, etc anyway.

It's not really a valid argument that they will never return as they lost all their stuff. I would set that point aside and just focus on your other ones.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See you're starting to get into exactly what I'm saying. How much content is friendly to new or returning players who are far behind the curve? I used to hit the easier Dungeons with newer characters to train while making a little gold for their bank box, how long would I have to kill creatures in Wrong to get enough gold to buy a really good pair gloves or a good weapon? What about the revamped dungeons where monster difficulty has been beefed to match the newer loot tables? Should you mine and collect leather for 6 months to sell for 1 piece of equipment?

Until a new or returning player means to get up to speed are in place, why take away one of the few avenues left?

Let me add to this

You can't quantify how many people "Might have returned" you simply can't, but you can quantify those who have returned. I'd rather focus on benefiting them, than trying to benefit a completely unknown variable.
i do agree with you. that has always been a problem for UO and should be a major priority of the devs. i guess in my mind, a player shouldnt have to buy anything. but he should be able to find the gear he needs.

ive started fresh characters on several shards, and while it could be better, its also not horrible. plus with global loot, even very low level creatures can spawn stuff like 10ssi clean jewels that sell for a hefty amount if the player does need gold for things he cant loot himself.

but overall i do have the same sentiments. more attention should be paid to making low to medium difficulty content more rewarding to players.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The vast majority of house that fall are from people who have left the game already loosing their stuff really isn't an issue for them as they decided to leave.

The hundreds returning over the years that I have talked to are really not concerned about their old stuff as everything evolved in armor, weapons, spells, etc anyway.

It's not really a valid argument that they will never return as they lost all their stuff. I would set that point aside and just focus on your other ones.
i have to repectfully disagree. for every 1 that may come back after losing everything, im sure there are 20 who will never come back, but might have if they had their things waiting for them.

i know if my house went idoc and was looted (which it almost did because of a faulty billing system) i would not come back. i would not start over at this stage of the game. would i still keep in contact with my UO friends, sure. we play other games together. but i would not start over in UO and am sure im not the only one.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Eh I was vague in what I meant.

The idoc system is broken not because some dude is selling it for RMT, but it allows the few benefitting the most from no one else being able to actually participate.

Particularly who has 15 hours to do an idoc outside of scripting or "using Pincos".

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Really the point is whether we should let the players who leave benefit from this or continue to allow others to benefit from the current system.

I see no issues establishing a system where there is some benefit to returning regardless if they care or not about the items when they leave.

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am one of those players who has left, returned, left, returned, left and returned again over a span of 15 years. I can speak to that fact that if it wasn't for my knowledge of the IDOC system upon each of my returns to the game I would never have been able to compete with the growing wealth and pace of this game... I have truly benefitted from each of my returns, with the awareness I had of IDOC'ing.

With that being said, I do believe that there are some great points being made in this thread. I can honestly say that I would not like to see the IDOC system be removed. Instead, I would propose a system to put in place that allowed for easier discovery of IDOC's without the use of 3rd party programs. A system similar to a town crier but was a tool or item you can acquire. This tool would announce the general locations of IDOC houses whereby anyone with this tool can then search that location. It could yell out exact coordinates or preferably, a general idea such as, "There are two IDOCs on your shard today! One can be located in felucca on the Ice Island. The other is located in Malas near Doom."

This system would allow returning players to access the knowledge that years of playing this game has taught me. There would be more people attending and thereby, better distribution of wealth. My personal belief- removal of the system would not encourage the return of fellow players as much as designing systems (such as what I mentioned) which level the knowledge and playing field for returning players to catch up.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I really like the idea @Smoot my guess is it will never be implemented because some only hang on to accounts even doing the silly 3 month roulette pay just to keep their things for fear of losing them... if they didn't lose them and things went somewhere (much like any other game I play Diablo and Landmark to name a few)... they would quit paying the monthly sub or the sub every 3 months or 4 months or whatever...

Personally I wish there was such a thing because indeed people leaving and coming back would be 10X more likely to want to return if they knew they wouldn't have to start all over again and they still had their stuff.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IDOC houses should lift up off of the map like the house in the movie UP and I have always thought it would be fun for the game if items from IDOCs could be redistributed somehow into the game. They could put random bits into Tmaps, SOS's, chests/barrels or on animal/monster loot for someone to find.

Another idea is that I don't think that peoples stuff not in a bank box should be saved for free if they somehow left and then decide to come back. If they decide to come back then how about a storage fee they could pay in real life $$ if they wanted their stuff back? There should be a timer on this also so it won't be abused as another storage option and go poof if held over a certain amount of time. This would give people the chance to fix billing issues or other stuff.

Or how about putting it up for in game auction like on the TV show Storage Wars where they auction off storage units?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What if.... and this is where I see the middle ground... we gave players who were leaving an easier way to pack and save their stuff.

Something like this...

Add a "pack up" option the the house sign. It would put everything into a crate that would be transferred into the characters bank box. The house itself would remain and begin the decay process immediately.

If you want your stuff saved, pack up before you leave. If you choose not to pack up, your stuff goes to the active players.

PS. This could also be used to move houses as well.

Archnight

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
some only hang on to accounts even doing the silly 3 month roulette pay just to keep their things for fear of losing them... if they didn't lose them and things went somewhere (much like any other game I play Diablo and Landmark to name a few)... they would quit paying the monthly sub or the sub every 3 months or 4 months or whatever...
Great point, I also think there's quite a few that do this and that don't play the game anymore. Honestly it keeps the game alive as i'm sure there's lots that are afraid of losing their years of pixels if they cancel. I think the best option would be to modify the current idoc system so that everyone has a fair chance but at the same time make all account bound items (Soustones/Vet Rewards/Etc) automatically sync up with the players bank box/profile before the house drops :thumbup:

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Majority of idocs now adays are people who came back, bought one month of game time and said, wow what the **** have they done to this game. Gone. Or old schoolers kicking the bucket.

They will not change the idoc model; they will lose subs; @Smoot your beating a very dead and rotting horse.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another idea is that I don't think that peoples stuff not in a bank box should be saved for free if they somehow left and then decide to come back. If they decide to come back then how about a storage fee they could pay in real life $$ if they wanted their stuff back? There should be a timer on this also so it won't be abused as another storage option and go poof if held over a certain amount of time. This would give people the chance to fix billing issues or other stuff.
love this idea, would solve the problem of abuse of the proposed system as "free storage" and of any lost account revenue do to storage houses. the fee wouldnt have to be huge, just enough to deter abuse.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Majority of idocs now adays are people who came back, bought one month of game time and said, wow what the **** have they done to this game. Gone. Or old schoolers kicking the bucket.

They will not change the idoc model; they will lose subs; @Smoot your beating a very dead and rotting horse.
yes, the "games too far gone let it die" arguement always does ring true, but doesnt hurt to have dreams : )

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Smoot Isn't it funny that when you talk about IDOCs alls people can do is piss and moan about the ****ing scripters but the minute you suggest doing what you are suggesting it's leave them alone. You are damed if you do and damned if you don't LMFAO. I still like your idea.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd be in favor of this.
Alot of people would because you can just cancel your account and hang on to your stuff.

One of the reason EA drops the houses is for people to have to pay to keep the accounts active even if they rarely play. Plenty of houses around that no one is ever in.

I've never liked IDOC's in a shrinking playerbase. It just distributes the same amount of things to a smaller group of people. It doesn't really make most folks richer just devalues everything.

Maybe IDOCs should be like storage wars. House public for a week and you bid on it. HIghest bidder gets it. Then the value of the 'items' are not spread across people who didn't pay anything but rather the economy is the same. Person leaves and one less person in game. 2b worth of items auctioned off for 2b gold that goes away (sink). Economy essentially net even.

Problem with this is it favors the uber rich but at least its not 'money for nothing'.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only reason many of us keep paying our monthly payments when we are inactive is the fact we know we will loose everything if our homes go IDOC. The loss of revenue would be massive and close the game down if people know their stuff was safe if they stopped playing.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IDOC system should be a completely random timer at final stage. Once it goes IDOC it should be able to fall anywhere between 2--8hr mark. Get rid of the 5,10,15 crap, that was terrible cause it favored more scripting and less participation. As far as peoples stuff, it should only bank their account bound stuff only. There is tons of bank space now that gold is account bound and no more checks are around. There is no excuse, if you don't pay for your house you lose it.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
only 2 changes needed for idocs. I can not stand the change to 10/15 hours and the loot scripters. what can u do. the best thing a new or returning should do are idocs. one house/keep/castle can set u up. people should put soul stones in bank, period. everything else can be replaced. gold is account bond. with all the mythic account mess ups, some people probably got screwed. I'm not sure if we should be able call messana to drop house early. it may seem to show favoritism to some people/person. when a friends house is going to drop, we try to get the soulstones and save them. most people will give them up if u ask them. I do think there would be a lot of account closers if their stuff was saved. they would just open them if they needed something from it.