• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ideas for improvement

sligachan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello everyone, this is the first time I have posted anything on forums, so I hope all the links work! :D

First off I would like to say a big thank you to all the posters on this forum for taking the time to post ideas and designs :thumbsup:

As I have found today, it takes forever to take pictures, crop and resize, upload and copy paste etc etc to make up a post (although I'm sure it becomes quicker with practice ) so it really impresses me when people make these kinds of efforts for the communities benefit.

Ok soooo, I thought I would post pics of my house and ask for ideas/advice on various bits of design.

First, the front door. As you can see it is easy to find being next to the Shrine of Spirituality in Trammel.

(By the way, if there are any treasure hunters out there, the rune library in the entrance hall has a full set of marked treasure hunt spots and all the books are marked for public use).

Entrance.
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/sligachan/houselocation.jpg

Next up we have the entrance hall, the house itself is called the 'house of virtues' so I have used all the new virtue tiles throughout the house in keeping with this theme.

Entrance hall.
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/sligachan/entrancehall.jpg

Big thanks here to whoever came up with the design for fishtanks and Sarsmi for the preservation tank design.

I also used an idea posted by someone recently on these forums, to place the flaming head deed behind the Dragon's head which gives the appearance of flames coming from it (Although it kind of looks like its coming from his throat rather than his mouth :D).

Meeting room.
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/sligachan/meetingroom.jpg

Ok, this is where I need some advice, I am not totally happy with the gozas being used for displaying my dye tubs. They are ok but maybe a bit bright and perhaps not in keeping with the rest of the decor. What do you think? any different ideas?

Also is there a different way of doing a stage, again the gozas may be a little too bright and out of place.

My design of the bar area was again lifted from these forums, in this instance from designs by Saphireena.

Storage level
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/sligachan/storagelevel.jpg

Ok again on this level I have the goza issue, should I keep them or should they go?

Also I came across a bug with one of my pictures which i placed and turned and now it is stuck, how can I release it? When I mouse over it it does not highlight although if i click on it it says 'a picture'.

Roof
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/sligachan/rooftop.jpg

Finally we have the roof, which is work in progress (I will be fishing for the next year to find all the right coloured nets I need to finish this :D) I am happy with how all this turned out with each area being made to look like a shrine for each tile, although they dont really match to the tiles...that would be just tooo hard work.

I could do with advice however, with putting some kind of decoration on the tower walls, I was thinking maybe of some kind of lighting or maybe floral type deco with would run all the way around the perimeters... again this is where my expertise runs out,, any ideas?

Ok enough for now, thanks for listening, and again thanks to all who unknowingly have provided much needed inspiration and encouragement through posting how to's, tutorials and their own house designs :bowdown:

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is that on Europa? I'm sure I've seen that roof before :p I really like your layout, its all very clean and uncluttered :) I think I have an idea for your stage..bear with me :D

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like your throne & cookie tray pedestals on the porch! The cloth aquarium in the entrance is a nice fill to a cramped corner area. The curtains over the tapestry gives a nice effect, and is a good contrast to that cold gray stone without being too "busy". Storage area looks great.

The pixies are a bit distracting/busy, but they are a difficult item to display, and this is more of a personal preference to me - they are just an item I don't care for much. IMO - a little of them goes a long way. :D

Overall, a very nice design! Thanks for sharing.

-Skylark

sligachan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, thanks for the replies and comments. Sorry I forgot to mention... yes it is on Europa.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really like your tower. You have alot of great ideas. I especially like the storage room and the roof.

I am not totally happy with the gozas being used for displaying my dye tubs. They are ok but maybe a bit bright and perhaps not in keeping with the rest of the decor. What do you think? any different ideas?
When people use gazas to display things, to me it looks like the mats are just floating in the air. But maybe that is just me. I use small tables for my dye tubs. I think another row can be added so they are three high.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When people use gazas to display things, to me it looks like the mats are just floating in the air. But maybe that is just me. I use small tables for my dye tubs. I think another row can be added so they are three high.
Same here...I use small tables or benches (for wall shelves) for my dye tubs. I only use gozas on top of something else that is "tied" to the floor, like the crafted square boxes for example, because I don't like the floating in space effect.

Examples:

-Skylark

K

kray2s

Thinking about your flaming head and dragon deed

Is it possible to raise the flamming head behind the dragons head with out it revealing to get the flames at least closer to the dragons mouth rather than coming out of its throat??? Just a thought but im not an expert i will bow down to most of the decoraters on this forum in awe :)

sligachan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all, taking on board your ideas, I played around with my dye tubs display tonight.

I agree with you all, they did appear to float, and the gozas dont really fit with a stone tower.

The design I chose came from Castles and Courtyards (Siobahn of Legends) http://www.castlesandcourtyards.com/

Old Design

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/sligachan/meetingroom.jpg

New Design

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/sligachan/mark2.jpg

I have also chopped the gozas making the stage area and moved the rugs slightly (ive gone off gozas all of a sudden:D)

What do you think.....better or..........

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to throw this out there, a couple other things you can do with dye tubs:

barrel hoops, really only work with south facing tubs, and *pop* better with lighter colored walls:

and shipwreck ropes, you need the correct facings of these for them to work:

F

feath

i was going to suggest that last night,but got distracted ;) was also going to suggest the chopped large stone tables, so you get stone slab shelves that look great against the stone walls of castles/keeps/towers.

oh, and i want to mention, i adore the curtain area with the rubble tapestry's detailing you have. lovely!

sligachan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all, thanks for all the imput, it is appreciated. I am going to take on board all the different ideas and have a rejig over the weekend.

I will repost next week sometime with the results, although the roof and its need for fishing nets is gonna take a little longer....*grabs waders and fising rods and heads off into the sunset*

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just chimin' in...

A few more items on top of the aquarium, as deco and to draw the eye over there? (a box, snowglobe, small aquarium decoration, plant)... it looks great in that corner already, though! I am always amazed by aquariums. I just don't have the patience for them! :p

The stage gozas don't seem too bad to me, but if you wanted to change them I'd either go for red (a red carpet kind of look) or dark brown (to look like wood). Alternatively you can do black or dark colored gozas and lay fishnets over top... someone else here, I think either Sarsmi or Skylark, showed us how to do that and it looks like a neat fluffy carpet

Third floor: The "stuck" picture probably needs a GM, if it's anything like mine - I got one stuck on the corner of my plot under my house sign and it won't be moved no matter what I do to the house! I just haven't bothered reporting it yet.

I love what you've done with the little fountain room! It's very pretty and well balanced :)

I also really like the way your roof is set up
For floral decor, the garlands shown in the deco ideas thread might be pretty - bells and yarn bows, or bunches of nightshade, crystal balls, candles... not sure exactly how to make them but I think they are explained in the thread.