• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Idea) Pet Morphing Tool

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This idea is to connect the gold sink with the need of customize your pet.

Here is how should work:
By using the tool you have to target the pet to morph, then a gump will appear with 2 choices:

1) Morph Color (available only if the pet can spawn in different color):
Allows you to randomize the color of your pet. The color chances are the same of the spawn, so if a blaze cu has 0.0001% chance to spawn, you have 0.0001% chance to get the blaze color.

2) Morph Stat:
Allows you to randomize the pet stat like if is just spawned, so it can became better or worst. All trained skills and stat will be resetted.

Both functions will cost 100k per use with unlimited uses.

For example, if you want a blaze cu sidhe with a rating of 5.0, you are going to spend billions.

In few words: randomizing a pet is like to tame a new one, but without the risk of taming on fileld. Also allows you to bond a random pet then randomize it until you don't get the desired one :)

Since the pets are the tamers weapons and actually you can customize weapons but not pets, I think this would be a fair choice to add this tool as anniversary reward :p

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ONLY as long as its a one year reward. Otherwise its a good idea imo.

5% Luck

I dont really like this one.

One of my favorite things in UO is spawning a particular stat/resist/skill/color pet old style IE killing a number of that critter until it lores right.

You mean we should "pay" for something that happens free or better yet we get paid for it?

Yes there is risk and yes some consider it work but others, like me, consider it fun!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

One of my favorite things in UO is spawning a particular stat/resist/skill/color pet old style IE killing a number of that critter until it lores right.

You mean we should "pay" for something that happens free or better yet we get paid for it?

Yes there is risk and yes some consider it work but others, like me, consider it fun!
There are many people around that like more pay gold instead of taming, and here we are... this tool is not a replacement of the standard taming way, just an alternative for who don't like it and have gold to spare :p

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm... isn't this tool really only of use to a tamer though - since you need to have, and therefore be able to control, the creature being modified?

It seems a way for tamers who want to invest, or gamble, to get a really rare colour or super-stat pet, but for most other characters it's of very little use, so 'anniversary' reward seems the wrong way to go - maybe an in-game, expensive (in gold or items you 'donate') item you can quest for, perhaps a cheap item on sale at the gamecodes store, but probably not one I'd think fits as an anniversary pick.

B

Beastmaster

A more realistic system-

Give all pets a sex attribute.

2 tamers with corresponding male/female pets take them to a rancher npc (since we don't have breeders) for breeding. They both pay a nice sum for the rancher's service and leave the pets for 1 week. At the end of the week they each return to the rancher to claim 1 of the offspring. All the offspring will have stats based on the parents. Only 1 stat could be lower than the lower of the 2 parents. The tamers can see the offspring but not lore them (for color selection purposes only). They each choose 1 offspring (first come, first serve) and all the extra offspring are lost.

Breeder fees should be based on either the fame level or barding difficulty of the pets.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry BAD idea

means I can go tame one pet and spend money to just change it until i get what I like. Will TOTALLY kill the new tamer market which is a great idea and appears to be working well.

Sorry Pinc

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A more realistic system-

2 tamers with corresponding male/female pets take them to a rancher npc (since we don't have breeders) for breeding. They both pay a nice sum for the rancher's service and leave the pets for 1 week. At the end of the week they each return to the rancher to claim 1 of the offspring. All the offspring will have stats based on the parents. Only 1 stat could be lower than the lower of the 2 parents. The tamers can see the offspring but not lore them (for color selection purposes only). They each choose 1 offspring (first come, first serve) and all the extra offspring are lost.

Breeder fees should be based on either the fame level or barding difficulty of the pets.
this tool is made to avoid to waste time around, 1 week is too long... but the breeding could work :)

means I can go tame one pet and spend money to just change it until i get what I like. Will TOTALLY kill the new tamer market which is a great idea and appears to be working well.

Sorry Pinc
you can't choose the stat so it's like go to tame the pet but you spend money, so the pet made in this way will cost a lot...
To get a decent pet you have to tame at least 1000 - 1500 animals for free...
if you use this tool you waste 100k * 1000/1500 tries :p

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id like it better if I could morph my dragon into a walrus.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A more realistic system-

But also allow 1 tamer to turn in 2 of thier own pets to a breeder. Once the male has done his duty you may claim him, 1 week. The female stays longer, say 1-2 weeks more, with a normal birth of 1 offspring and a chance of having more than one. Tamer claims baby, stables, claims baby (if more) then claims female. You have to claim all babies first before the female. All females will have a cool down period after giving birth say 1-2 months. Males are males and once released by the breeder will be free to breed again.

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Then dont use the morphing tool. There is nothing to stop you doing it the old fashioned way, for free, if you find that fun.

This is a gold sink. And people WILL pay for it. But by the same token youre free not to.

B

Beastmaster

A more realistic system-

After a little more thought I think the stats of the offspring should all vary within a range of +/- 10% of the parents low/high scores but remain within the spawning range as well.

Example 1- spawning range for say poison resist is 20-35. Male has 30, female has 35. Offspring has range of 27-35.

Example 2- wrestling range 90-115. Male has 104, female has 102. Offspring range 91.8-114.4.

F

Fayled Dhreams

This idea is to connect the gold sink with the need of customize your pet.

Here is how should work:
By using the tool you have to target the pet to morph, then a gump will appear with 2 choices:

1) Morph Color (available only if the pet can spawn in different color):
Allows you to randomize the color of your pet. The color chances are the same of the spawn, so if a blaze cu has 0.0001% chance to spawn, you have 0.0001% chance to get the blaze color.

2) Morph Stat:
Allows you to randomize the pet stat like if is just spawned, so it can became better or worst. All trained skills and stat will be resetted.

Both functions will cost 100k per use with unlimited uses.

For example, if you want a blaze cu sidhe with a rating of 5.0, you are going to spend billions.

In few words: randomizing a pet is like to tame a new one, but without the risk of taming on fileld. Also allows you to bond a random pet then randomize it until you don't get the desired one :)

Since the pets are the tamers weapons and actually you can customize weapons but not pets, I think this would be a fair choice to add this tool as anniversary reward :p
Well, initially, I thought that morph was going to be "changing shape" BUT

since you went with stats & colors (and not a chance of a rat that is a greater dragon)
and wrapped it in a reasonable gold sink ... (10 "rolls" for a mill? pfffft! let's roll'em! )

very well then

/approved

Willard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like it!
It Realy changes nothing ingame, but adds a choice of how to get the same thing you can already get--only it adds a gold sink!

5% Luck

Then dont use the morphing tool. There is nothing to stop you doing it the old fashioned way, for free, if you find that fun.

This is a gold sink. And people WILL pay for it. But by the same token youre free not to.
While I am not in favor of an instant "tool" some of these breeding ideas are great!

I favor one where you as a tamer have to have a skill "breeding" and need to have the slots on the stable open for this purpose. Leaving animals in the stable together give them a chance to produce offspring based on skill and "care". Care can consist of some new pet consumables and taking them out of the stable and using the vet skill on them to...."check"

Birthing can kill a pet without high vet skill and only pets that are un bound can be used. Like plants set to decorative mode!

Skills will be completely random but stats/resists can be hereditary.

Yea.... sounds like a new booster to me!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No thanks...

If you want a good pet in a fancy colour, there are spawns you can turn over. If you don't want to take a wee bit of time/risk turning them over, buy from a player. There is no point in a gold sink when gold is so plentiful and easy to buy.

If there was a method of breeding and such which involved tamers making a real genuine effort and taking a degree of risk, then I'd be interested in that. But even so, taming is not difficult with all the fancy tricks and safe taming methods. It's not hard to kill spawn to get what you want or to tame it. If we're really going down the route of instant gratification, you may as well just put fancy pets on the official website beside the advanced character tokens. At least that way the cash would go to EAM rather than gold sellers.

I may be the only player who thinks this, but making taming a profession that takes dedication, learning and some skillful play isn't actually a bad thing. It gives the more experienced player something they can get stuck into. Take away the need to understand, practice and develop skills and I think you take away from the profession. I realise that's probably an old school dinosaur view to many, but I think too much easy gratification just results in players being bored quicker.

Wenchy

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No thanks...

If you want a good pet in a fancy colour, there are spawns you can turn over. If you don't want to take a wee bit of time/risk turning them over, buy from a player. There is no point in a gold sink when gold is so plentiful and easy to buy.

If there was a method of breeding and such which involved tamers making a real genuine effort and taking a degree of risk, then I'd be interested in that. But even so, taming is not difficult with all the fancy tricks and safe taming methods. It's not hard to kill spawn to get what you want or to tame it. If we're really going down the route of instant gratification, you may as well just put fancy pets on the official website beside the advanced character tokens. At least that way the cash would go to EAM rather than gold sellers.

I may be the only player who thinks this, but making taming a profession that takes dedication, learning and some skillful play isn't actually a bad thing. It gives the more experienced player something they can get stuck into. Take away the need to understand, practice and develop skills and I think you take away from the profession. I realise that's probably an old school dinosaur view to many, but I think too much easy gratification just results in players being bored quicker.

Wenchy
easy? are you sure it's easy to get something good with this tool? :D

This tool just randomize everything and let you spend billions before to get something decent :p
The gold sellers just became rich if people start to buy billions, true, ma this is the life :)

However your point of view is not old, but in the end actually if for example you like the black cu sidhe for example, you exterminate 1000-2000 cu sidhe to see just one black and the chance to get it black and with good stats are almost nothing. In this case being able to randomize the color, allows you to get your favourite one by spending gold instead of years...

Maybe you will like more to have a tool able to change the pet color without random... something like this (obviously only the color that are available at spawn):
red: 100k
blue: 100k
white: 1 mil
black: 1 mil
blaze: 10 mil

In this way the blaze cu will pass from 500 mil to 10 in 1 second :lol:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
easy? are you sure it's easy to get something good with this tool? :D
Spending gold or RL cash bought gold is easy, yes. UO has many players who would rather buy things than do the simplest things.

This tool just randomize everything and let you spend billions before to get something decent :p
The gold sellers just became rich if people start to buy billions, true, ma this is the life :)
Some players don't care that they've paid billions to get what they want. Just as some don't mind helping gold sellers.

However your point of view is not old, but in the end actually if for example you like the black cu sidhe for example, you exterminate 1000-2000 cu sidhe to see just one black and the chance to get it black and with good stats are almost nothing. In this case being able to randomize the color, allows you to get your favourite one by spending gold instead of years...
There is a lot more to taming pets than how many you have to kill or the odds of getting what you want. By the time I got a blaze pup I'd tamed and sold many really nice coloured and stat pets, made rather a lot of millions in gold, trained 2 tamers and the bard skills on one and had a lot of fun in the process. I didn't want the blaze cu for myself, or even the gold from selling it (it was nice though!) I just wanted to tame a blaze pup - to have the excitement of spawning and then taming one. And honestly, no randomly generated 5.0 blaze pup would have me trembling with excitement like the real blaze did. Much of that excitement came from knowing they were rare and possibly a creature you only tamed once. Making it something you can buy really "cheapens" it for a lot of players.

Maybe you will like more to have a tool able to change the pet color without random... something like this (obviously only the color that are available at spawn):
red: 100k
blue: 100k
white: 1 mil
black: 1 mil
blaze: 10 mil

In this way the blaze cu will pass from 500 mil to 10 in 1 second :lol:
Spending money doesn't get me excited. Taming is the real deal, so no, I wouldn't buy a special pet. I'm a tamer, taming is something I enjoy. And my cu of choice is a plain average little guy - the first one I tamed when they were brand new. The reason I tame pups is that I enjoy it, and I like finding good pets to sell to other tamers. Shopping isn't my thing :D

Wenchy

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spending money doesn't get me excited. Taming is the real deal, so no, I wouldn't buy a special pet. I'm a tamer, taming is something I enjoy. And my cu of choice is a plain average little guy - the first one I tamed when they were brand new. The reason I tame pups is that I enjoy it, and I like finding good pets to sell to other tamers. Shopping isn't my thing :D

Wenchy
that's exaclty the point :)
you enjoy to tame pet, others may like more to shopping :p
Keep in my this is not a replacement of the old ways, it's just another way...

But if billions will be burned down by this tool, we have the better gold sink ever made :D

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My initial thought was that it would be just as easy to sell special coloured pets with stats/skills in a random pre-set range for RL currency on EA.com in the same way they offer decoration packs.

Since I enjoy taming critters far more than using critters in battle, I wouldn't buy a pet pack or use your pet tool even if others would.

Wenchkin makes all the points I would have made, and more succinctly, too.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
let's do some math.

how many people there are around able to get 1 billion gold? 100? 200 maybe?
let's say 100...

everyone of them will want a perfect greater dragon for sure. I've killed more than 1500 gd to get a barely decent one, so let's say you need 2000 to get a really good one.

now: 2000 * 100k = 2 billions * 100 = 200 billions

just for the gd. Now if they want to be the best, they will surely try to get a blaze cu with perfect stat and if they are lucky they have to do at least 2000 tries like for the dragon just for the right color and let's say 1000 for the stat. 3000 tries.

3000 * 100k = 3 bilions *100 = 300 billions

At this point we have 100 person with 1 perfect gd and 1 perfect blaze cu and 500 billions has been removed from the game.
I think that removing 500 billions is a real gold sink without change nothing to the game :)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that's exaclty the point :)
you enjoy to tame pet, others may like more to shopping :p
Keep in my this is not a replacement of the old ways, it's just another way...

But if billions will be burned down by this tool, we have the better gold sink ever made :D
I know it doesn't get rid of the old system, but the old system doesn't need an alternative where RL$ can be used to re-roll a pet in a quicker and safer way. We're tamers, not shoppers :D If one tamer has spent months working to find the best pet, then their friend appears who just paid for his, don't you think that first tamer might feel his efforts were a waste? That is a real slap in the teeth if you made the effort and they didn't. Taming has enough instant gratification like that already.

I'll say this again, gold is plentiful and cheap to buy. You can't sink any of it - it'll just be farmed again, legally and otherwise. What you will do with a tool like this is encourage players to buy gold from these people, and others to farm it to sell to tamers. I don't condone that at all. It would be better if players bought fancy pets on the website and the cash at least went into developing or supporting UO. But those pets must be different in appearance to the existing ones, otherwise you really devalue the pets players DID work to obtain. Effort > money.

Wenchy

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know it doesn't get rid of the old system, but the old system doesn't need an alternative where RL$ can be used to re-roll a pet in a quicker and safer way. We're tamers, not shoppers :D If one tamer has spent months working to find the best pet, then their friend appears who just paid for his, don't you think that first tamer might feel his efforts were a waste? That is a real slap in the teeth if you made the effort and they didn't. Taming has enough instant gratification like that already.

I'll say this again, gold is plentiful and cheap to buy. You can't sink any of it - it'll just be farmed again, legally and otherwise. What you will do with a tool like this is encourage players to buy gold from these people, and others to farm it to sell to tamers. I don't condone that at all. It would be better if players bought fancy pets on the website and the cash at least went into developing or supporting UO. But those pets must be different in appearance to the existing ones, otherwise you really devalue the pets players DID work to obtain. Effort > money.

Wenchy
Then why all is asking for a gold sink if when we have one became unfair due to the gold sellers? :p

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then why all is asking for a gold sink if when we have one became unfair due to the gold sellers? :p
Because gold sinks don't work. You can't sink gold from UO - if someone buys gold and "sinks" it, the gold seller can just get more gold again. It's like trying to drain a water pipe while it's still connected to the mains.

Wenchy

F

Fayled Dhreams

Because gold sinks haven't worked.(minor edit) You can't sink gold from UO - if someone buys gold and "sinks" it, the gold seller can just get more gold again. It's like trying to drain a water pipe while it's still connected to the mains.
*grins*

gold sinks >might work< but with the devs looking at adding More gp loot to monsters ... to make it "easier" for new players "get up to speed/parity"
by your analogy
the devs are looking to lay in BIGGER mains & no drains ...
*wuff*

"Poor game design" the quick and easy guessers will incorrectly shout-out ...

Game design ain't so simple as: if that was wrong then this is "the right way"
(if they took out the mains(downsized) and added more {mandatory} drains *flushing sounds* noobs more quickly fall behind)

Same sort of "problem" here (sans gold) and soooooo close to actually descibing a game design "solution" *snaps fingers* missed ... but maybe ...maybe

One should do events for the storyline; the rewards should be secondary. (In this context "the storyline" can be as simple as, the town you bank at is being invaded and you don't want to change cities.)

If you do events, especially EM events but even the gamewide events as well to an extent, solely for rewards? Then you are probably better off doing something else. And if you feel entitled to a reward, and/or a reward you will deem useful? Then yes, staying away from events is an excellent idea. Fel champ spawns are an excellent alternative; you are guaranteed a reward (a minimum number of scrolls will drop), and if you have a big enough group the risk is minimal or less.

-Galen's player
Well said. I remember when the last original EM on Sonoma quit the last thing he/she said was that he/she was tired of all the greed. People wanting only rewards and not caring about the story-line they spent their time creating for us.

Sadly though greed is the driving force behind a lot of players. Luckily not all though.

OOPS!! gotta go check the smoker ... family starting to arrive to entertain ME ... *tips glasses*
Happy F-DAY
... brothers and sisters :thumbsup:

Burma Shave!! :danceb:

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this sounds like an excellent way to instantly devalue all the hard work some tamers put into taming such pets.

If you want a good pet in a rare color, either tame it or pay a tamer to get you one.