• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Idea/Concept] Smoking in uo - a new way to buff yourself!

• Thread starter Dreadlord Galaad
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
D

Dreadlord Galaad

Smoking is a fairly common activity found in many heroic fantasy worlds.

Here is the idea :scholar: :
Characters will be able to smoke rolled cigarette or pipe to get some 15 mins buffs. That activity will require 1 minute to achieve. (Only 1 buff at once)

Weed +20 Str -20 Dex -20 Int
A light yellow magical powder +10 Str +20 Dex -30 Int +1 FC +3 Fcr
Tobacco +0 Str +0 Dex +20 Int
Weed + Tobacco +10 Str -10 Dex +10 Int
A light yellow magical powder + Tobacco +5 Str +10 Dex -5 Int +2 Fcr

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or a slow damage to yourself and an area effect damage around you, like strangle on those around you and three strangles to yourself.

D

Dreadlord Galaad

Great idea ! I wanted to find a way to suffer damage from that ...
But I guess trammel ruleset will be a no smoking area haha

T

Tazar

I can see it now...

You smoke 1 tobacco cigarette: *Suffers loss of 5% movement speed due to polluted lungs*.

You smoke 1 weed cigarette: *Suffers loss of 10% movement speed due to loss of ambition and loss of 5% intelligence due to the befuddlement effect.

nah.... not for me.

Maybe as an RP thing along the lines of cooking and eating food, but giving a positive bonus for any of those things is just not right...

C

Connor_Graham

How about not?

Let's leave the crack smoking to the brain dead morons standing on the street corners and keep it out of UO.

S

Sweeney

Yes but let's keep the ale and liquor. You can rp a cirrhotic-livered alcoholic, fun times.

V

Vandetta

Death of UO...

*smokes weed*
*forgets to go to spawn and finds a mongbat that is really funny*
*decides to eat... and eat..... and eat....*
*receives a message "you are too encumbered to move"*
*feels tired... finds an inn... logs off*

MJ's Pet's Name

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a lot of posts I dont agree with, a lot of people I dont see eye to eye with, and although I like to share my view, I always realize that everybody has a right to their own opinion.

That being said this is probably the stupidest idea I have ever seen posted.

:loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser:

L

Lore Master

Characters will be able to smoke rolled cigarette or pipe to get some 15 mins buffs. That activity will require 1 minute to achieve. (Only 1 buff at once)

Your idea is interesting but i doubt they would add weed to the game lol. Tabacco growing and smoking on the other hand sounds like a viable idea while i may do the idea differently if it was up to me it is still a nice idea.

O

Old Man of UO

There are a lot of posts I dont agree with, a lot of people I dont see eye to eye with, and although I like to share my view, I always realize that everybody has a right to their own opinion.

That being said this is probably the stupidest idea I have ever seen posted.

:loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser::loser:
Along with what you said, there are very few things that I find offensive. But overt references to (illegal) drug use is one of those that I do find offensive. Very.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously? Of all the effed up things in our effed up world... References to marijuana are one of the few things that offend you?

Wow.

That said, I'm not keen on the idea. Smoking would be cool for RP, but it shouldn't have any kind of status effect.

S

Sorcha of Sonoma

Not going to happen. Ever. They'd get a mature rating and that would be the end of that. ESRB slaps games down that reference smoking or drugs. Some survive anyways (GTA3 dor example) but it's not what you want to do to an existing game.

D

Dreadlord Galaad

Very sad to see my bright ideas to be moved to the trash section.
I guess talking about smoking habits is too offensive for most of the community of players. I still think it's a very good role-playing thing to be added...

V

Valentina

This is the coolest idea anyone has ever had in any MMO! At the very least there should be a smoking emote. Wizards need pipes!

V

Valentina

Not going to happen. Ever. They'd get a mature rating and that would be the end of that. ESRB slaps games down that reference smoking or drugs. Some survive anyways (GTA3 dor example) but it's not what you want to do to an existing game.
Really? Well, that explains why you cant smoke pipeweed in LOTRO I guess. Bloody censorship. *le grumble*

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nevermind that you could make jerky out of people in UO...

Drugs and sex are EVIL. Murder, dismemberment and cannibalism? Not *so* bad.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Every time you use the smoking for buff, you should permanently lose 1 pt off of your stat cap (health disorders). And after 25 uses, you lose 2 everyday you don't use it (addiction).

Still sound like a good idea?

But I do agree, wizards need pipes!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very sad to see my bright ideas to be moved to the trash section.
I guess talking about smoking habits is too offensive for most of the community of players. I still think it's a very good role-playing thing to be added...
I think it was the suggestion of adding drug use to the game.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uh, just FYI, UO did perfectly well for about seven years with an M rating before it got reclassified as T.

In fact, its downward spiral began shortly after that change... Hmm...

S

SUPRsalad

best idea ever. I want my UO weed..

as for the yellow powder, you disgust me, geeter.

B

Belanos/Icicle

how are there any RP aspects to it?
its not exactly something you would be able to see another player doing, and the buffs/debuffs you might get would be for the user's eyes only. and you can just as easily do a *takes a long draw* or whatever emote.

seriously people need to find better things to do with their energy than try to get weed added to a high fantasy game (no pun intended)

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's one thing to not want drug references in-game, but simple smoking from a pipe has been in nearly every fantasy tale. Different type of tobacco for different buffs would be a neat idea, imo :)

If that gets the game an M rating, then people today need to really lighten up. Like kids don't hear or see their parents, teachers or role models doing anything similar... or do it themselves, for that matter!

It's not like anyone's saying that your paladin should shoot up heroin or anything...

Heck, in Star Wars Galaxies my character has a ton of needle-looking items in her pack called 'Stims', which she INJECTS into herself for buffs! When the timer wears off, theres a 30 minute 'comedown' period, where your stats are decreased!

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how are there any RP aspects to it?
its not exactly something you would be able to see another player doing, and the buffs/debuffs you might get would be for the user's eyes only. and you can just as easily do a *takes a long draw* or whatever emote.

seriously people need to find better things to do with their energy than try to get weed added to a high fantasy game (no pun intended)
You really don't know your fantasy literature.

D

Dragonchilde

We can kill (and used to be able to behead and dismember) other players, and THIS is what you get offended over?

Seriously?

B

Belanos/Icicle

You really don't know your fantasy literature.
seriously. If the guy next to you started smoking his pixel pipe, do you think you would notice at all?
and if no one around you notices, then it doesn't play into rp.

K

Kiminality

Wouldn't it be making the game more WoW-like, to have an increasing pool of stackable, consumable buffs?

Myphsar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worst idea ever,
I mean, its bad enough in real life with all that ****.
And now, YOU want it in game.
Cant u just keep it to urself?, it really annoys me when ppl try and act 'kool'
and talk and drugs ingame.
PATHETIC!!
I thnk i would Truely quit if that ever happened.

S

SUPRsalad

It's one thing to not want drug references in-game, but simple smoking from a pipe has been in nearly every fantasy tale. Different type of tobacco for different buffs would be a neat idea, imo :)

If that gets the game an M rating, then people today need to really lighten up. Like kids don't hear or see their parents, teachers or role models doing anything similar... or do it themselves, for that matter!

It's not like anyone's saying that your paladin should shoot up heroin or anything...

Heck, in Star Wars Galaxies my character has a ton of needle-looking items in her pack called 'Stims', which she INJECTS into herself for buffs! When the timer wears off, theres a 30 minute 'comedown' period, where your stats are decreased!
Did anyone ever read the book/see the movie 'watership down' ? My mom read it to me as a kid. I also remember seeing the movie when i was probably 4 or 5 years old. All this sheltering is making some really half-hearted weaklings imo.

Did anyone read the Tolken Series as a kid? I wonder how it would be rated now..

Secret of Nimh?

LORD, what about Labrynth with David Bowie?!!! WOO! that would chap some soccer mom-A$%

When did all of this start happening?

OH! has anyone ever heard the original russian version of Cinderella?
That would be like NC17 now. Yeah, I probably won't read it to my kids, but it sure made some tough russians, who subsequently, won WWII for the rest of the world.. (yea, i said that)

M

MoneyMaker

As far as tobacco use goes, I would love to see it in game!!
Yes i am a real life (Tobacco) pipe smoker. Grew up around tobacco, My family raised it for a living.
Tobacco does have it drawbacks physically, but the great majority of the physical/medical problems from tobacco today comes from what happens to it AFTER it leaves our fields!
Give ya a example: the milk you buy in the store..... it has bleach in it..... we pour a gallon in the holding tanks everyday..... with the milk!!
know why? bacteria, flies get sucked into the milkers pretty regularly. but that still doesn't change the fact that we pour approx. 10 gallons of bleach for every 500 gallons of fresh milk. That all happens before the processors get ahold of it............. Just think about it.... is every evil from the origin of something, or is it in the way its handled?

As for the "illegal" aspect, well we might not wanna add that to the game. Don't want to get a pat down from every town guard, looking for "paraphanelia".

As for being offended? not I...... if u don't like what is said.... act like u didn't read it...... we do joke at times ya know.....and one mans lifestyle is not always what is ideal for another......... thats one thing that has this country in such a state of *%^$&#......... too many people saying this is what we call pilitically correct, or the way it should be....... I say butt the %#$* out of my life.... last i checked this WAS a free country, but that idea of making a island of 2 liter coke bottles and calling it moneymakeria is sounding better and better all the time.......
Peace people!!! remember, hippies had the right philosophy, just bad timing.............

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LORD, what about Labrynth with David Bowie?!!! WOO! that would chap some soccer mom-A$%
I have one of the fancy artsy copies of that movie poster framed in my living room :) That movie was great... I vote on drugged fruits for everyone!

Oh wait, we already have apples that remove curses and a fruit bowl that acts as a bless! Where's the big stink over that?!

Seriously, just because "drugs" or whatever you'd like to call them have a negative effect on real life doesn't mean that they aren't a valid part of roleplay, or even a valid part of the game as a whole.

If you're that sensitive that you demand to be sheltered from something as tame as a pipeweed then perhaps a game where you can already murder people, skin animals, cut open monster's skulls, be blown up, collect body parts, have your clothes stripped off by pelvic-thrusting satyrs and scantily-clad dryads, and all that fun stuff... is just not for you.

And to be honest, what do you think potions are? Magical water? No! It's ground up HERBS that you drink to produce an effect! We eat petals for different effects! Ale? Technically, the government considers alcohol a 'drug', so what of it? Heck, there are alcoholics in real life, so do you want to make that argument that it's just too offensive to have drunkeness in-game?

Did you know that caffeine is actually regulated as to how much of it can be in an item? Redbull legal to possess, but illegal to sell, in some countries! Sugary goodness accounts for alot of why there's such an obesity problem in the world... obesity is an epidemic, care to remove candy from the game?

It's reaching, I'm aware, and I'm being sarcastic if you cannot tell, but honestly, where does it end?

I understand that someone may not want the game to become like "Trainspotting Online" or something, and it doesn't need to be. But there needs to be a logical conversation here about the difference between what's considered obscene and acceptable in the realm of medieval fantasy.

I normally don't rant in such a fashion, but when it's gotten to the point that we need to cater to every individuals sensitivity, no matter how big or small, where does it end?

If you dislike it, I strongly suggest you go watch LOTR and watch Merry and Pippin closely. Still think that pipeweed equates to heroin? If it did, there wouldn't have been any Hobbits with will enough to destroy the ring :D

Besides, no one is saying it needs to be a 'hard drug', really. There are perfectly legal different scents and flavors of tobacco in reality... why not have those cast different effects? Or are cigarettes off limits, too?

And you know what? I am a cool kid...Lemme tell you what I've been on a energy drink kick for awhile and I'm tweakin' from it! :D

S

Scratch

smoking is the worst thing i ever started doing in my life short of playing uo. both are very addictive.

smoking in uo is stoopid and only a fn trammy noob would have thought of it
the age limit for the game is 13 and I dont think smoking should be promoted
if my kid started smoking because of EA and UO, I would be suing them

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are PG-13 films where people smoke, a teen could see them and think "Hey, smoking is cool!". If a parent doesn't want their child exposed to those themes despite them being accepted in that film's rating, then they shouldn't let them watch that film. The same can be said for games.

There is also a subtitle section for both game and film ratings, detailing what the product contains that could be offensive. That said, there's no reason for parents to be ignorant of this material.

If a teen happens to 'sneak' a game or a film that contains these things, it's not the game maker's responsibility, but the parents for not supervising their child. If the game was passed as T, then legally teens are allow to possess it and the game company cannot be held at fault.

That aside, when people are in public with their children do they walk the other way when someone is smoking? No. Seeing people smoking happens, many people do it (I do not), and it is the parents responsibility to show their child that smoking isn't a fashion statement but an addictive habit with consequences. It's not up to a game, especially a fantasy game, to relay that message.

SWG is T, and I reiterate that it has injectable drugs. If other games allow 'drug' use with a T rating, then UO could certainly do it.

M

MoneyMaker

Whats your problem with trammies, scratch?
You do know that the facet we play does not represent the ideals and personalities we have in real life.
Seems to me that you need to take a break from the game if it has blurred the line that badly for you.
Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
smoking is the worst thing i ever started doing in my life short of playing uo. both are very addictive.

smoking in uo is stoopid and only a fn trammy noob would have thought of it
the age limit for the game is 13 and I dont think smoking should be promoted
if my kid started smoking because of EA and UO, I would be suing them
I can't accurately respond to this post in a manner fitting it within the guidelines of the RoC here on Stratics.

Suffice it to say, what I'd like to say to you would likely make your eyes fall out of your head, and your brain melt out your ears.

In short, :wall::cursing::coco::loser:

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, let's leave out the hard drugs, because somehow I doubt Gandalf sat on horseback with spoon and lighter in hand preparing his morning dose.

However, *let's* have some pipesmoke, please! :D

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, well gee, if GANDALF didn't do drugs, then I guess it's NEVER occurred in any fantasy setting

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The comment was sarcastic, and I used Gandalf for exactly the same reason you just said it, lol.

Although I dunno how many people would recognize if I used the name Skeeve... Skeeve seems like the type that woulda done that stuff... if Aahz pushed him into it.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So random n00bs can find it and post in it to bring it to the top so we can argue with the dumb people some more.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Are you Galaad of Europa?
if yes pls icq me on 211341921

its urgent! ty :)