• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Cooking] Idea: Bonus for cooks skinning an animal corpse.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was out hunting with my tailor-cook. Mostly hunting for leather but a couple ribs and birds to cook are always welcome. I was killing everything in site and off'ed a pig. Two ribs from its carved up corpse. And I thought, "Hey wouldn't it be nice, since this character is a cook, if I could get a roasted pig or an unroasted pig that I would be able to cook." Then I thought hmm wouldn't be nice if when a cook kills a deer if I had a chance to get meat listed as venison or if when I killed a rabbit I had a chance for hassenpfeffer (sp?) or meat that said uncooked rabbit that I can make into hassenpfeffer by adding carrots and such. My imagination started running wild with dragon steaks and kraken sushi and roasted harpy.

Granted, this change would be fluff. No game balance issues, no extra bonus if you dined on venison vs. cut of ribs. It would add to roleplay and house deco and thats about it. I am not suggesting a cook of a certain skill could get a skinned goat like the doom deco artie or anything. And honsetly I do think cooks have quite a large variety of things they can make already so I wouldn't want to divert resources from bug fixes or something. I just thought I'd share my wishes for cooks to have a chance for special resources or new foods if they are the ones butchering the body. Come to think of it, shouldn't someone with cooking have a chance of gathering more of whatever food the animal carcass supplies? Just a thought.

T

Thiefy/Glorfiedel

I was out hunting with my tailor-cook. Mostly hunting for leather but a couple ribs and birds to cook are always welcome. I was killing everything in site and off'ed a pig. Two ribs from its carved up corpse. And I thought, "Hey wouldn't it be nice, since this character is a cook, if I could get a roasted pig or an unroasted pig that I would be able to cook." Then I thought hmm wouldn't be nice if when a cook kills a deer if I had a chance to get meat listed as venison or if when I killed a rabbit I had a chance for hassenpfeffer (sp?) or meat that said uncooked rabbit that I can make into hassenpfeffer by adding carrots and such. My imagination started running wild with dragon steaks and kraken sushi and roasted harpy.

Granted, this change would be fluff. No game balance issues, no extra bonus if you dined on venison vs. cut of ribs. It would add to roleplay and house deco and thats about it. I am not suggesting a cook of a certain skill could get a skinned goat like the doom deco artie or anything. And honsetly I do think cooks have quite a large variety of things they can make already so I wouldn't want to divert resources from bug fixes or something. I just thought I'd share my wishes for cooks to have a chance for special resources or new foods if they are the ones butchering the body. Come to think of it, shouldn't someone with cooking have a chance of gathering more of whatever food the animal carcass supplies? Just a thought.

Hasenpfeffer :scholar: its a delicate meal, but afford a lot of time to cook it.

i agree with your suggestions about cooking!
With more things to cook, you can run a real tavern! great for roleplayer evenings.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oooh your idea is fantastic...it's got me drooling! New cuts of meat, new truffles/morels/chanterelle/portabellas mushrooms, new spices (gm taste id and gm chef found) like rosemary/sage/cinammon/peppercorns, and how about a pot of coffee?
Lady C receives a generous gift of freshly killed and dressed venison from the forests of Minoc. She wielded her favorite butcher's knife (crafted by a gm tinker) to proficiently carve the tenderloins from the carcass. "These will become tonight's main entree, marinated in garlic and ale, toss in some chantarelle mushrooms, laced with rosemary sprigs and placed on a spit and slow roasted over juniper pine kindling. I'll make some wilted lettuce greens tossed with wasabe vinaigrette, and bake a cheesecake for dessert. Will be a feast befitting Lord Draconi and Lady Sakkarah!"

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"These will become tonight's main entree, marinated in garlic and ale, toss in some chantarelle mushrooms, laced with rosemary sprigs and placed on a spit and slow roasted over juniper pine kindling. I'll make some wilted lettuce greens tossed with wasabe vinaigrette, and bake a cheesecake for dessert."
Now you got me drooling hehe.
Yeah, adding little details and intricacies in a system make UO all the more unique. Even if the artwork didn't expand too much just the name of the animal the ribs are from may be enough. But just like your post...it would probably just leave us drooling for more. Before long we would have a little UO Chef Ramsay coming to my pub and berating me for serving cheesecake after venison. hehe.