• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ICQ-*FIXED*

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, my ICQ doesn't like me anymore. I can not connect to MY ICQ number on either one of my computers. Hubby and I can both be logged into UO, the internet, Vent, and map however the moment I try to connect to ICQ we both lose connection to everything we had running. I can't even log into my ICQ on hubby's computer. Any suggestions about what the problem could be?

In the meantime, if you need to contact me, send a PM or ICQ Hubby (Enigma).

G

<blockquote><hr>

Old version of ICQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

x2

or ICQ lite, or any other "bad" version of ICQ

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's ICQ Pro. Is that an "old" or "bad" version? It's the same version I've been using since I got my own ICQ number. Did something suddenly change?

So, what are my options? Upgrade to a newer version of ICQ? No thanks. I think I remember the new version with the ugly looking emotes. I think I'll look into trillian!! I can uninstal ICQ on my computer, but what if I want to use it on Hubby's PC (it's the better PC. I use it when he is at work)? Can I have trillian and ICQ on the same machine?

A

Azural Kane

You don't want 2 ICQ clients on the same machine, and I used to recommend Trillian but anymore I say Pidgin, it's more lightweight and straightforward, Trillian's got a little bloaty as of late.

A

absimiliard

Gotchyer back on Pidgin.

Best Windoze client around IMO.

-abs

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that is the version both of us have. Enigma's works fine, while mine has decided to "protest". I used to be able to switch between his account and mine, but now I can't even do that. It's been like this for over a month. I finally got up enough motivation to ask for help.

So, if I go to trillian do I lose all of my numbers?

R

Rykus

No, the contacts are stored on the ICQ servers. I've installed Trillian on many PCs and all of my contacts populated just fine.

Pidgin eh? I've never had a reason to look beyond Trillian, and I really don't use ICQ for anything but UO, but it sounds like something worth checking into.

Thanks..

G

Patty,

With 2003b I always ran database repair tools when I had problems. That usually took care of the problem.

The "Lite" versions do not have that option.

For a long time, a Windows patch made 2003b completely go bonkers for me. It was during that dark time, that I installed ICQ Lite 5.1 *sobs*. Months later, 2003b started working again, but by that time I wasn't logging in to ICQ hardly at all anymore.

-Skylark

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks skylark. While looking for these database repair tools you spoke of, I came across the tech support on the ICQ webpage. I changed the port number and now it seems to be fixed.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!