• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I wonder if they realise....

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With all the grind in the game (and more grind they recently added) they have basically created a pay to win game. A common concept to pay to win is that you make it a heavy grind for those who don't want to pay to get things or you can just use real $$ to pay for what you want. By making everything a grind coupled with the fact that there is zero enforcement on rmt they have created this exact type of system. The sad part... they are not the ones makeing the money!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That and with the game becoming more and more of a grind it's less and less enjoyable... and more and more tedious and quite frankly boring. And with fewer people playing... well it's more boring.

While I get they don't want to flood the market with things they need to realize that doing the same thing over and over and coming up empty handed is really seriously unappealing. People like to be rewarded for their time and feel that they are getting somewhere... which was why it was nice when they changed Doom years ago to add the concept that the more often you did it and got nothing the higher your chance was to get something the next time you went. However now with the latest change to Doom no one wants to go because the "reward" isn't worth the 20 death robes and the time invested. Chances of getting anything good are so low that it's just deemed not worth the time... like so many other things in the game...

Eventually, it's left to the bots and those who risk multiboxing to get items... and they often sell the stuff to make RL profit...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Primetime Friday night in UK and you can count the number of people online in Europa on your fingers...….

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
With all the grind in the game (and more grind they recently added) they have basically created a pay to win game. A common concept to pay to win is that you make it a heavy grind for those who don't want to pay to get things or you can just use real $$ to pay for what you want. By making everything a grind coupled with the fact that there is zero enforcement on rmt they have created this exact type of system. The sad part... they are not the ones makeing the money!!
The way I look at this is that different people have different thoughts about fun. For some people, fun is to try and develop a new char in a different shard, a tamer of all things, make new friends there etc. Just something to take your mind away for perhaps 2-3 hours a week for most of us, and away from frequently high tension and stress jobs etc. Different people like different things. The fact also is that we got older, and on one hand we don't like a too hard game, and on the other not too easy. If we get bored I bet it is because of the same old thing doing over and over, for years.
I watched this game evolve over the years. It is generally pretty tough game overall, depending on what you want to do. For higher end things, you will need to grind. But you,ll get there if given the time.
The most fun is actually the community in the game, and the interactions with other players.
As for the RMT, to buy high end stuff..it is meaningless to pay RL $ for stuff, since the intrigue, the challenge and the adrenaline of honestly getting your items, is gone that way. They might as well install and play their own sever and make themselves "god" and get every item imaginable, and kill DF in Doom and anything on Roof in just one hit, and being immortal. That is completely silly and pointless type of thing!
Also it is very hard to do anything to RMT. How would you correct that? Hire a lawyer? What would they charge and what the results would be? Over how many years? Anyway RMT is hard to control. I doubt that the devs are happy with the RMT, but right now they are hard to contain. Also I wonder how much "business" they get?
Also I would not be too surprised if the Devs come up with some solutions for this that may work.
I think most of us ignore their spams in game. I think there are probably RMT vendors for every MMO in existence. It is not exclusive to UO. I suspect most devs just choose to ignore them due to the legal complexities and $$$$ it would take to go after them.
Fridge: Have fun and enjoy your game. It is still a fun game. It still is for me, after all these years. Because my goal is not to win. I still have low end items and junk. The objective is to just chill out when I can and have fun.
However I can see people's point about being burned out with the game..Its still cool.

TheWolf

Adventurer
Jokes on you mate. Illuminati already confirmed broadsword runs the RMT

As far as "fun" and "grind". I think all of us here are too old to have fun. So I just log in to get my fill for the day of boring grinding. Cheers!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I look at the RMT site like my local Pub.
With the local pub, the more beer they sell the more the brewery charges. So it basically doesn't pay to have a busy pub....they sell can from behind the counter directly for their own profits to counter this ;)

The more stuff people buy, the more profits go to EA and not UO......so they make and sell stuff from a 3rd party site to put cash directly into their pockets and not EA's.

You may notice I said "their" pockets and not "UO's"......look around and tell me what they are selling this extra cash on in the UO world....nope, pure under the counter money they prob don't even pay taxes on it ;)