• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

i was hacked :(

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was hacked this afternoon, apparently either right before or right after the publish :(

i [THANK GOD] for some random reason decided to change all my account passwords this afternoon at work and thought it was odd i couldn't login to this specific account (via the UO.com account manager), but i was able to get EA to email me a temp password. once receiving the temp password i immediately logged into UO.com's account manager and changed my account password - thank GOD because i'm guessing i halted their progress in terms of cleaning me out.

but they did drop my house :(

after work i got home and logged in and all my stuff was all over the ground, no more house. that's a terrible feeling. thankfully my house is on napa and in a rather remote umbra location, so no one else grabbed any of it, but they did make off with my Year of the Dragon Moon bag, 2 rift pillars, about 30 high-end tokens, 2 full Candle of Love sets (pen/heart/tear,etc.), 5 120-scrolls that i had bought for Lady Sunrise and hadn't given her yet :(

a val runic hammer... and i'm guessing a bunch more than i haven't found yet. they cleaned out my chars, they were all naked in Fel Buc's Den. haven't checked stables yet... but i'm eternally thankful that they didn't delete my chars. and i got about 90% of my house stuff back (i insta-placed a new house next to the original plot and just spent 2 hours hauling all the crap from the ground over to the new plot and locking it down.

MY QUESTION: i can't reach the stuff that was on my roof - it's all floating in the air and i can't get it. it's all unlocked at this point, obviously. i paged a GM to come get it down for me and got a canned reply saying they can't "get involved" like that and i should check the online F^%$ING knowledge base. F&^%RS!!! SO YEAH - MY QUESTION is - AREN'T GM'S SUPPOSED TO HELP US GET DOWN SH*T THAT'S FLOATING IN THE AIR AND INACCESSIBLE???

but i have changed my account password twice in the last 2 hours, changed the email it was linked too completely (i'm guessing they hacked my email which - now that it doesn't matter any more) was STUPIDLY [email protected]. thankfully only one of my 3 accounts was linked to that email. DUH to me to have an email that could be guessed based on my stratics name :(
BLAH!!!

at least items can be replaced. characters are way more important to me. i guess i just learned an expensive lesson... *sniff*

H

HeathBar

Sorry to hear that. I had my account hacked many years ago and I know it's a crappy feeling. Luckily I didn't lose anything worth more then 1mil, but it still sucked.

I hope the GM's can help you out.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to hear that man. Its good you remain positive about it though. It's alot of good people here but also alot of lurkers who may have bad intentions so you gotta be careful what you do/say at all times. Glad to hear you recover most of your stuff...Happy playing :danceb:

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you tried going into custo mode and putting floor tiles under the floaters and tried to lock them down, or wall tiles under the items so they might go into your moving crate or house sign? Sorry to hear of such bad news. Some gms need sensitivity training and less dependence on a heartless script.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I just told you on ICQ, I am so sad to hear this happened to you :(.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they dropped my house, so there's no house to go into custom mode with :( i'm going to try in a minute to re-place the house and hopefully access the stuff 4 floors up that way...

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
they dropped my house, so there's no house to go into custom mode with :( i'm going to try in a minute to re-place the house and hopefully access the stuff 4 floors up that way...
Oops, I presumed you already placed a plot at the dropped spot. Try to do it with the owner of the Ankh... I had an issue with that in the past with a char that was not the original owner and needed GM intervention.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you stand in the spot the the item WOULD have fallen to (taking angles of drop into consideration) you should be able to grab it out of the air. If you can't grab it, keep trying different spots, usually southeast of the item, sometimes several steps away from where you see it on your screen.

L

Lady D

very sorry to hear about that sometimes you can grab stuff in the air depending on where u stand might have to move around ...good luck very sorry to hear that

W

Wallenstein

Sorry to hear that... very sad to see that people are so low that they will go to the extreme of logging into an account to steal everything. And what gets me is that the hacker dropped your house.. What did that do for them? Nothing.. It did nothing but add more frustration for you..

Anyway, this might work to get your things from the fourth level:

Build a new house on your lot and go into customization mode. Now, fill every tile of every floor with the same wall piece facing in the same direction. Just "spam" the wall piece all over each floor so your house is 100% filled with nothing but wall pieces going one direction. Now, save the customization and commit it. When your character leaves the customization mode all of the locked down items should be moved to the moving crate and any loose items should now be under the house sign.

I don't know if this still works but it's what I did a long time ago when I just wanted to clear everything from my house without individually unlocking everything or picking each item up.

Good luck.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
walk 1 or 2 tiles directly south east of where it is hanging, it will tehn say unlocked and on the second attempt you should be able to pull it to the ground

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Get some tables, stable them below the items and remove the tables again, that may make them drop

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just keep moving around.. take into account what space the item would be above and get as close to directly under it as possible.. not under where it is on the screen, under that spot it was placed on. Should be able to take them from there.

Easier way to determine it.. stand so you're obscured by the item, then move directly down (south-east) a few steps. Try to grab. If fail, move again.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i know, i know, icq has a looooooong history of game hackings... :(
but it's the only messenger i use and all my friends are on there :(
i have no idea if icq was the cause, or me using the same email address for paypal that i did for my account that got hacked (kaj reminded me that if i bought something from someone in game, they'd know my email and might have been able to hack it that way). i have now changed my paypal account info, pw, email, etc. and everything else linked to that email.
and to everyone giving advice on the stuff floating above my head - THANK YOU!!! i was able to re-place the same house on the same exact spot the old one was on, and when i placed it all the stuff floating in the air fell into a pile under the new house sign :)

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad to hear you at least got a few of your items back.

Sorry about everything else.

P

packrat

Hey Moons

I'm on Napa. If you need anything let me know. I can and will help you out in any way... If they emptied your stable let me know I will help you get some new ones.
I have been using ICQ for 9 years and have never had any trouble. But I don't add anyone I don't know and I do not accept any files through any messenger unless they are related to me and even then I scan them before I open them.
With all of the technology out there and with as many users as UO has, you would think they would have better security in place. Like an option where, when you log in it ask for your birthday, last 4 digits of your social, or mothers maiden name. You get three chances and if you get them wrong you are locked out. That would stop a lot of this. With this set up, all someone needs is your email address which is very easy to get these days.

I know the feeling. That happen to me, but in real life. Got home and my back door was on the ground and all my things were gone. One good thing.. They stole my tv that was about to go out and they stole my expensive stereo but didn't take the remote. The stereo is useless without the remote. My insurance replaced everything but it still pi**** me off when I think about it.

G

galefan2004

I keep getting this "Pogo" e-mail that is sent to my account name. I never actually open those types of e-mails, but it does freak me out that I keep getting it.

It sucks that you got hacked. It sucks even more that this game isn't set up to be more freindly to the people that actually get hacked.

Faith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Usually these 'hack' reports are due to the persons own stupidity.

Sorry to hear this, but are you sure you were really hacked [that is a complicated process] or just had an easy to guess password / signed up somewhere with the password you use for that email adress / opened a key logged etc.

I

Ill Saint

Very sorry to hear that... plain rotten. Hope you can get your things back in order quickly.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I realize it is a bit late, but here is some good info on what you can do to prevent yourself from being hacked in the future. In around 15 years of working with computers and being online, and at least four years of operating, adminning and hosting my own website, I have never been hacked, and I have only ever gotten one virus, and I can attribute that one to a bout of temporary insanity.

S

Sunrise

Hey Nine..anything I can do to help give me a holler. You know we are here for ya.

Now as for hackers...I say we find em all...find some rope before its all turned in...cut thy rope short...and then find thy tallest trees...Probally around heartwood....but thats just me.

Bear hugs Nine. Im sorry.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm so sorry you got hacked. :grouphug:

This is another of my pet peeves that I plan to bring up at the Austin Townhall in September. I'm sorry but there is ways EA/Mythic could help prevent this, also they could be more sympathetic and understanding in their dealings with a hack-attack victim.

Also the GMs bad :cursing: attitudes lately I'm gonna bring up too!

I have a list/agenda I'm bring with me to the September Townhall.
Jeremy and Co. can ingore me all they want in here. Come September they can TRY to ingnore me, but in person and messageboards are very different. I WILL BE HEARD COME SEPTEMBER!

I'm willing to fight the good fight for all of us UO players!

If there's anything you need let me know. I'm on Legends but I will help in anyway I can.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Usually these 'hack' reports are due to the persons own stupidity.

Sorry to hear this, but are you sure you were really hacked [that is a complicated process] or just had an easy to guess password / signed up somewhere with the password you use for that email adress / opened a key logged etc.
yeah, i know. that thought runs through my head too when i hear someone got hacked. i've been a database admin with the fed gov for 15 years, i'm truly paranoid about clicking ANY links i'm not familiar with. my passwords are always a triple threat of upper and lowercase, numbers and often punctuation too. and i change them frequently. who ever knows if they click anything that opens a key logger. someone above mentioned ICQ and not ever adding anyone they don't know. i have gotten 2 new ad requests from people i didn't know in the last week, and i added them both - but they never sent me a message and i never sent them one. can people actually access your computer through ICQ if you have no contact with them other than them being in your friend list? i've never heard of that.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I keep getting this "Pogo" e-mail that is sent to my account name. I never actually open those types of e-mails, but it does freak me out that I keep getting it.
i get those too. and i don't know why and they freak me out too. i only get them for the account that just got hacked. i have 2 other accounts that are still fine. diff emails and diff pw's. and no pogo emails.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Moons
I'm on Napa. If you need anything let me know. I can and will help you out in any way... If they emptied your stable let me know I will help you get some new ones.
Thanks so much packrat, and everyone that has offered help and suggestions and kindness :) i really appreciate it and you all are a large reason of why i won't let this kill my uo spirit! stuff is replaceable, just costly *grumble*.
and thankfully they did not empty my stables!!! i was very glad about that. and i'm very thankful they didn't delete my characters, although i think if i hadn't of caught on so fast and changed my pw's, i think they might have, since they were low enough to drop my house :(

M

Mudd

Sorry to hear you got hacked - I got hacked about 2 months ago and lost everything, roughly 1.5b -.-

As for the pogo emails, pogo.com is an EA owned company, so that's EA email coming atcha.

Glad you got at least some of your items back.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know the feeling. That happen to me, but in real life. Got home and my back door was on the ground and all my things were gone. One good thing.. They stole my tv that was about to go out and they stole my expensive stereo but didn't take the remote. The stereo is useless without the remote. My insurance replaced everything but it still pi**** me off when I think about it.
And Packrat - OMG!!! I'm glad insurance paid for everything, but that's HORRIBLE!!! and funny about the remote :)

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to hear you got hacked - I got hacked about 2 months ago and lost everything, roughly 1.5b -.-

As for the pogo emails, pogo.com is an EA owned company, so that's EA email coming atcha.

Glad you got at least some of your items back.
Thanks, Mudd! Sorry to hear you were hacked and lost SO MUCH!!! omg...
yeah, i know Pogo is EA... but it still seems shifty to be getting their emails just because we have another type of EA account.

L

Loqucious

You can get those locked down, floating items by building up the house directly underneath them, releasing them, and removing them. Then you can redesign the house any way you wish.

E

envinyatar

I am so sorry to hear about this, moons. I always makes me sick to my stomach to hear of another person getting hacked. I got so paranoid this time that I went and changed emails, pws and everything. Someone said something about a universal messenger that will allow you to still talk to your icq contacts but not actually use icq. I never looked into it, but it was listed on that crazy canuck site that was posted above. I'm happy to hear that you averted major crisis though and that your house is back up and your stables are intact. *shakes fist at hackers*:talktothehand:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You didn't have it all locked down or in a secure container?!?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So Sorry...Alas i think if u look at your last few Paypal transactions it will point to the culprit maybe???

Icq hacks??? not sure ive heard that using icq is unsafe? unless u mean u typed your login account name and password by mistake whilst using icq to someone???

R

Ravenspyre

I know what it's like to be hacked. I had it happen once, someone went through and tried to clean out everything I owned. Thankfully I logged on, and was able to get a hold of GM quick enough to temporarily suspend my account so I could change all my information. Took about an hour including talking to a phone rep to verify that I was the legitimate owner, but otherwise I think changing your PW regularly should help.