• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] I thought I was supposed to get BETTER at fishing?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm at 117.9 skill

Recent run to the Underworld for a backpack full of fish (normally I bring my beetle but I was just looking for a couple specific fish).

34 Dungeon Fish
1 each, mud puppy & red herring (19 & 66 stone)
2 mess of small fish
TEN pairs of footwear.

48 items fished up, and approximately 1/3 of them weren't usable fish. Hell, over 20% were Footwear (at least the small fish and fish steaks from the two big fish have SOME use).

V

vvvaaannn

IMHO skill level has ZERO effect on anything other than the rate at which you catch rare/legendary fish. For fun I ran a test of my 120 fisher on a regular shard vs. a 100 fisher on TC. Admittedly the sample size was too small to make a definative conclusion (only about 1000 casts on each tracked), but the data seemed to clearly point to the conclusion that skill level >100 has no effect on the rate of what you catch other than the special fish, (i.e. you catch as many boots and small fish at 120 as at 100). I remember that Mark_Mythic at one time indicated that "they may look at changing it so a 120 gets less/no footware", but clearly that has never been implimented.