• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I suggest using more "breadcrumbs" to find the content

Sempronius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
People need help finding the content in this game.

I would have a little area in the game with a "bunch of NPCs." And, each NPC would point you in a direction in the game. Maybe even put them in groups of difficulty. I log into the game and I'm looking around for something to do and everything just seems "random." SO, these things I decide to do are totally random. Today's gamers are used to have everything pointed out to them.

Lets just take this for example: I was checking out someone's gear and saw they were wearing Minax's Sandals. I looked up the price and the price is crazy for someone who is just getting gold by looting Monsters. Then, I figure I'm going to find out what items in the store can fetch me sold serious coin so I can buy items like that in the game. I wasn't feeling like guessing what's selling these days so I google "Minax's Sandals and this comes up:

I'm pretty sure that is in the actual retail version of Ultima Online and not another source. The only way I was able to "stumble" onto this information was because I looked up Minax's sandals. Had I not done that I would not have known these encounters were in the game.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Umm... don't see how you have played UO in the last couple of years without hearing Shadowguard or 'Roof' as it is more commonly known.

that is surprising...

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've been advocating for a looking for group tool for a long time. I got flamed on the official forum for suggesting it. I guess gen chat is good enough, instead of a party forming que system like most games. Theres no doubt new players cant figure this game out easily. My rl friend keeps trying to play (has a char with a few gm skills) but cant function well without me helping navigate. UO requires lots of research for new players, games like WoW do not. I appreciate Mariahs (sp?) Attempts to build a competent wiki but much more needs to go into helping newer and less active players to get into content. I know most vet players could care less, but it's a serious flaw in UO IMO.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You may visit the professional forum for character building, there are both item and skill recommendations.

When your char is strong, you may challenge boss level contents.

Shadow guard is very difficult to solo, you need to join a guild to learn more.

If you are living in a quiet shard and a casual player like me, you better setup a paid account and also an EJ account, dual client is able to enjoy all game contests in your own.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been advocating for a looking for group tool for a long time. I got flamed on the official forum for suggesting it. I guess gen chat is good enough, instead of a party forming que system like most games. Theres no doubt new players cant figure this game out easily. My rl friend keeps trying to play (has a char with a few gm skills) but cant function well without me helping navigate. UO requires lots of research for new players, games like WoW do not. I appreciate Mariahs (sp?) Attempts to build a competent wiki but much more needs to go into helping newer and less active players to get into content. I know most vet players could care less, but it's a serious flaw in UO IMO.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk
The biggest problem with UO compared to other games having this feature is the lack of quick content though. I always felt the closest to it was SA content like Navrey, where indeed people came and go all the time. Most other content always involved a lot of preparation, be it farming keys for peerless or having to do rooms with every player for the roof. I always wished the game had more casual group content where you can randomly group up with four strangers for 20 minutes and simply work towards a common goal. Minax invasions were also pretty cool in that regard where everyone spammed the town cryer until he finally announced the next town and everybody just went in :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People need help finding the content in this game.

I would have a little area in the game with a "bunch of NPCs." And, each NPC would point you in a direction in the game. Maybe even put them in groups of difficulty. I log into the game and I'm looking around for something to do and everything just seems "random." SO, these things I decide to do are totally random. Today's gamers are used to have everything pointed out to them.

Lets just take this for example: I was checking out someone's gear and saw they were wearing Minax's Sandals. I looked up the price and the price is crazy for someone who is just getting gold by looting Monsters. Then, I figure I'm going to find out what items in the store can fetch me sold serious coin so I can buy items like that in the game. I wasn't feeling like guessing what's selling these days so I google "Minax's Sandals and this comes up:

I'm pretty sure that is in the actual retail version of Ultima Online and not another source. The only way I was able to "stumble" onto this information was because I looked up Minax's sandals. Had I not done that I would not have known these encounters were in the game.
In the other thread where asked where people are, we gave you the names of many encounters.

UO has never been a game that holds your hand. There are hundreds of things to do. You have to decide what you like and find things that match.

I always felt the closest to it was SA content like Navrey, where indeed people came and go all the time.
Yes mobs that one player can go to and spent 10 to 20 minutes and have a chance for a drop is something we need more of.

Sempronius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
In the other thread where asked where people are, we gave you the names of many encounters.

UO has never been a game that holds your hand. There are hundreds of things to do. You have to decide what you like and find things that match.

Yes mobs that one player can go to and spent 10 to 20 minutes and have a chance for a drop is something we need more of.
Maybe they should be better at sharing their content so people can actually find it.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Maybe they should be better at sharing their content so people can actually find it.
Heck, they announce each and every thing they do on UO.com.. what more ya want them to do? (legit question, not sarcasm or asshattery lol)...

Each time I come back from a lengthy break I read up on the changes on The Herald (main page of the website)... I keep scrolling through the pages (and reading patch notes where I find things interesting) until I hit the time frame that I actually played last. That helps me stay up to date even after a couple year break.