• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

i noticed something strange about this shard.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i have been playing here for a while now.
have pretty much all 21 of my toons done, and i couldnt help but notice something about Origin.

the prices here seem to be a lot more then other shards.

i think i found this a little off putting for the simple fact that this shard is suppose to be the 'newest shard' and the testing grounds for all new pubs and such.

i guess i figured that the bigger vender houses would have items for VDP or near to it.

i think i kinda thought this the whole time i was here, but i think it really came home to me last night when i was doing a champ spawn on another shard, we chained a couple of them and we where just dumping all the scrolls on the ground, except for of course the 20's.
and i thought to myself... hell, id give ZigZag's left nut to have these on Origin cause that shard is $$$ as all hell for low end scrolls.

and thats when it hit me.
this shard is $$$ for pretty much everything!

and its not just power scrolls.
its everything.
thats IF you can find it for sale.

i had originally thought that maybe the shard was just dead and no one played, but thats not the case.
i could be farming away in the bottom of some dungeon and someone will pop in and say hi.
so its not a case of lower numbers of people playing.

it allmost seems like all the people that came here to play where people who are like me and dont do the vender thing.
so the one or two that DO do the vender thing set the prices high.

just my observation.

(where gonna need 2 or 3 people to post about Origin Love and such before we get into the meat and potatoes of this, so lets get those posts out of the way first so we can discuss this social economical issue without all the 'ra ra origin' fluff)

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I moved here from Chesapeake two or so years ago, prices were MUCH lower. I can't say for sure what things are like now in comparison, since this is the only shard I play. I can say, though, that since it is quite a lot smaller that perhaps there isn't the supply that other shards have, and that drives the demand?

C

Crystal Canyon

have pretty much all 21 of my toons done, and i couldnt help but notice something about Origin.

i think i found this a little off putting for the simple fact that this shard is suppose to be the 'newest shard' and the testing grounds for all new pubs and such.

i guess i figured that the bigger vender houses would have items for VDP or near to it.

i think i kinda thought this the whole time i was here, but i think it really came home to me last night when i was doing a champ spawn on another shard, we chained a couple of them and we where just dumping all the scrolls on the ground, except for of course the 20's.
and i thought to myself... hell, id give ZigZag's left nut to have these on Origin cause that shard is $$$ as all hell for low end scrolls.

its everything.

i had originally thought that maybe the shard was just dead and no one played, but thats not the case.
i could be farming away in the bottom of some dungeon and someone will pop in and say hi.

it allmost seems like all the people that came here to play where people who are like me and dont do the vender thing.

just my observation.

(where gonna need 2 or 3 people to post about Origin Love and such before we get into the meat and potatoes of this, so lets get those posts out of the way first so we can discuss this social economical issue without all the 'ra ra origin' fluff)

I noticed something strange about this post....

On Pacific Shard ^ On Origin about 1mil to 1.5

On Pacific Shard ^ On Origin Shard about 1.75 to 2 Mil

On Pacific Shard ^ On Origin Shard 5k to 25k, mostly 5k to 15k

WOW about twice the price they are here!

Pacific Shard ^ (thats 2,950,000) On Origin I have seen about the same piece for for 295k...no not 2.95 mil but 295k

Now as far as your poor heart failure at paying 8k for a Butchers Cleaver, I tried for over an hour to even find one on Pacific as large as it is. I also went to the bank and spammed for someone to show me to a vendor that might have them. One nice gentleman finally tried to help me out and he gated me several places but to no avail, we couldnt find any.

Now for your future reference on obtaining one...if you dont want to pay 8k for one you can always go mining and hope that you get the gems you need to make them, could take you a couple hours. Oh yeah, and you will need the recipe to make that also, so as I havent seen any for sale on this shard for months, you will have to go to Heartwood and start doing the quests hoping to get the recipe for it. (if you do by chance find it for sale be prepared to pay about 2 mil for it or more). But if all else fails, just keep doing that quest! You should have the recipe in a couple months or so.:D

So something does seems abit strange, just dont think it is our prices!

BTW...sorry I didnt reply to you in our vendorhouse thread, but keep trying! Maybe next time!:coco:

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The prices on those arms, Pacific, are completely insane! Holy bat-flaps!!

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
POO

LoL

Origin is a bit over priced, but alternatives is why, why maintain a vendor, crystal keeps stuff there for us! i even get repairs from her over my own vendors lol when a time issue! As to prices most things like butchers u only need one per toon so not a large demand, i give away to any i know that needs one and dont insure my own!
as far as doom arties only ones that goes to vendors is ones players guild have as extra over a gold reward so selling for that quick insurance replacement!

its everything.

just my observation.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
crud.
i had this massive reply in the works, comparing prices from all over the US shards and such, and of course, was nearing the end and poof, power went out.

hahahhaha.

unfortunatlly i dont have time here at work to retype and look up everything again.... so lets just assume i put in a excellent rebutal.

high points, butchers war cleavers on most US shards sell for 1-3k each (non runic ones)
leggings of bane on Pac shard, couldnt find the 3 mill one for sale, did find 3 that where under 2 mill, lowest being 1.65 mill.
price on origin.... none, none for sale.

but i think the rub of what i was trying to get accross is that for someone starting off new here with the 1000 gold that they give you in the bank this shard is a tuff nut to bust.
the normal everyday items that ya need to get going here are higher priced then most places.

anyways, like i said before this isnt a bash origin shard, i was just looking to see if there was a lost dynamic that i wasnt seeing here that was driving the prices up (like 1 guild ruling fel so no one else can have power scrolls or the likes)

and crystal, this is a conversation about economics here, i dont think putting up crazy smiles cause someone is asking a question is very nice.
i do understand that you feel defensive because you have the biggest vender house in luna, but simply replying to your pricing would have been good.

it never fails to amaze me that people take things so personally in game.
deep cleansing breath.... hold it..... release.

people just talking here, no need to flame anyone.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
im just thinking back to the last time i had a vender.
a friend wanted to make a vender house and cater it towards new players.

i was given the chore of keeping up repair deed venders.

so i loaded a handfull of venders with each different type of repair deeds.
5 gold per deed.

last time i ran into someone who needed a butchers war cleaver on sonoma i took them to my my place, made them a runic one, then loaded them up so heavy with supplies that i had to gate them to the bank three times so they could get it all out.

infact..... i could sit here and complain all day and its not gonna do anything about this.
so ill put out this offer.
i have a legendary smith here, and every other crafting skill GMed (or higher if they are able to get higher)
if someone wants to give me some free vender spaces ill once again put up at cost repair deeds of all the different flavors.

will be my contribution back to the community.
would need a couple venders.
smith, tailor, tinker, carp, bow.
so five.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
hehe poo if started as a young i heard a virtuous guild suited most players up to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then i found them housing lol!!!!!!!!!!

crud.
i had this massive reply in the works, comparing prices from all over the US shards and such, and of course, was nearing the end and poof, power went out.

hahahhaha.

unfortunatlly i dont have time here at work to retype and look up everything again.... so lets just assume i put in a excellent rebutal.

high points, butchers war cleavers on most US shards sell for 1-3k each (non runic ones)
leggings of bane on Pac shard, couldnt find the 3 mill one for sale, did find 3 that where under 2 mill, lowest being 1.65 mill.
price on origin.... none, none for sale.

but i think the rub of what i was trying to get accross is that for someone starting off new here with the 1000 gold that they give you in the bank this shard is a tuff nut to bust.
the normal everyday items that ya need to get going here are higher priced then most places.

anyways, like i said before this isnt a bash origin shard, i was just looking to see if there was a lost dynamic that i wasnt seeing here that was driving the prices up (like 1 guild ruling fel so no one else can have power scrolls or the likes)

and crystal, this is a conversation about economics here, i dont think putting up crazy smiles cause someone is asking a question is very nice.
i do understand that you feel defensive because you have the biggest vender house in luna, but simply replying to your pricing would have been good.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
houseing here was funny.
walk out into the forest.
place a keep.

dont really like where it is.
drop it.

walk for another 2 minutes.
place another.
like it.

walk around it for 10 screen in every direction...... no neighbors.
like that a LOT.
hahahhahaha

C

Crystal Canyon

crud.

Take another deep breath and calm down Mr. Poo.

My response to you WAS about economics and was in response to your post here and another one directly to me. Im sorry if you feel I dont have the right to respond, but the sad truth is that I do.

I am not defensive whatsoever, Im simply proving a point and that is that Origin shard prices are no higher (in fact lower in most cases) than other shards.

What we have here sir, is a simple disagreement.

And sir, with all due respect, just because you say I "flamed' you doesnt mean tha it is true. People can read here and comprehend.(So can moderators)

If you are truley offeneded by a smily icon you need to bring that up with the Stratics boards and tell them that you think that is "flaming". People use it everyday here and you are the first to consider it rude or flaming. I more think you want to "troll".... but it wont happen.

Calm down and please realize that when you come on the boards and make accusations and assumptions, that people will respond....thats what we are here for!!!!!

B

Baciver of CCC

i couldnt help but notice something about Origin.

You reference VD pricing on some items. Did you know that a Rune bettle Carapace VDP's for 84gp, a Kasa of the Rajin for 25gp, a repair deed for 4gp, a recall for 36gp. So as for your idea of vendor pricing....no one would do that. LOL

As for a newbie starting with 1000gp, been there done that, with a few characters. On GL when it was the biggest shard going. A keg of nightsite was 8K, greater heal and greater cure were 10K. This was awhile back tho. I played for weeks before I could afford an exceptional weapon or exceptional armor. Just short of the 6 month mark I had saved enough for my first power weapon. Maybe there is a reason why a newbie doesn't start the game with a test shard bank box.

As for pricing in general, you complain about vendor prices but do you have a vendor? Do you consider, not only the cost of materials to make the items being sold but the ecomonic cost of spending that time crafting them as opposed to hunting(farming gold)? For myself making 12 kegs of potions to sell on vendors, I loose 25K that hour by not hunting. I don't vendor to make gold, but I do try to contribute some of my time to the players by providing a source for their needs.

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i as i for one can attend as long timer this shard, appreciate the great work is much appreicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You reference VD pricing on some items. Did you know that a Rune bettle Carapace VDP's for 84gp, a Kasa of the Rajin for 25gp, a repair deed for 4gp, a recall for 36gp. So as for your idea of vendor pricing....no one would do that. LOL

As for a newbie starting with 1000gp, been there done that, with a few characters. On GL when it was the biggest shard going. A keg of nightsite was 8K, greater heal and greater cure were 10K. This was awhile back tho. I played for weeks before I could afford an exceptional weapon or exceptional armor. Just short of the 6 month mark I had saved enough for my first power weapon. Maybe there is a reason why a newbie doesn't start the game with a test shard bank box.

As for pricing in general, you complain about vendor prices but do you have a vendor? Do you consider, not only the cost of materials to make the items being sold but the ecomonic cost of spending that time crafting them as opposed to hunting(farming gold)? For myself making 12 kegs of potions to sell on vendors, I loose 25K that hour by not hunting. I don't vendor to make gold, but I do try to contribute some of my time to the players by providing a source for their needs.

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
5 gold per deed.

There is a vendor house selling them for 4gp in Luna, HUB. They've got your price beat, Poo! :D

I have free vendor spaces available in Luna but already have deed vendors, or I'd help ya out!

C

Crystal Canyon

im just thinking back to the last time i had a vender.
a friend wanted to make a vender house and cater it towards new players.

i was given the chore of keeping up repair deed venders.

5 gold per deed.

last time i ran into someone who needed a butchers war cleaver on sonoma i took them to my my place, made them a runic one, then loaded them up so heavy with supplies that i had to gate them to the bank three times so they could get it all out.

infact..... i could sit here and complain all day and its not gonna do anything about this.
so ill put out this offer.
i have a legendary smith here, and every other crafting skill GMed (or higher if they are able to get higher)
if someone wants to give me some free vender spaces ill once again put up at cost repair deeds of all the different flavors.

will be my contribution back to the community.
would need a couple venders.
smith, tailor, tinker, carp, bow.
so five.
Sounds like a very good deal to me! In fact, yes, I have plenty of space if you want to give away repair deeds...what a wonderful idea!

That would surely save me an hour or so every morning reloading mine!

Give me a hollar when you get online and we will get you set up!

C

Crow

SKipped over most of it...like you said in first post, I couldn't care less about vendor stuff...

BUT SHHH!!!

The fact that our 110's actuall sell here is as funny as it is profitable, lol

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now prices are too high? I concurr with the fact that stuff is priced high on this shard. However, I am with Baciver on this one. Some people just don't understand how to price things given the effort it took to become a craftsman, endure the tedeum of gaining arm lore, running to every mage shop to buy scrolls to make repair deeds,and setting up and running a such a major vendor shop to supply the shards needs. You want to give away repair deeds or charge 4gp for them go head. It cost 5gp just to buy the scroll. Hey, It is your gold do with it as you please. When you sell on a vendor you are not out to give away your products, you are out to make a profit. I seroiusly wonder about the thought process of the vendor who sells, for example, trophy deeds, first you have to go out an learn the skill, kill the animal and buy the trophy kit which is 110k then you sell the completed trophy deed for under 110k. Where is your profit? How many times did you die trying to killing the dragon to get the head to make the trophy. You have to decide on what this cost you. Then you set your prices and hope someone else decides that they would rather buy your hard efforts rather than take the risk of getting it themselves.

G

Ghost_Writer

i noticed something strange about this shard.
If you've only noticed one or two things strange about Origin, you need to spend some more time here...

C

Crystal Canyon

If you've only noticed one or two things strange about Origin, you need to spend some more time here...
Yes sir, I agree there are alot of strange things on this shard. As Gunner pointed out, there seems to be an over abundance of trophy deeds that sell for less than it costs to make them. Has been for as long as I remember.

As of lately this shard is full of soul stone fragments. I visited 3 vendors this last weekend that all have packs full. A month ago it was hard to find one now they are everywhere. Is there some place to obtain these now that I dont know about maybe? WOW

And valorite ingots too! I just cant imagine how people can come up with 10 to 20k of valorite everyday? I have a hard time geting enough to fill bods or enhance weapons...LOL I was wondering if it is still able to mine them in one place or does it still change? All the places I mine changes.

Yep your right GW, this is a strange shard!

Hard to tell if this is strange or like the old songs says "things that make you go hmmm."

A

Asahina Yajinden

first of, i gotta say i love origin!!!!!

i started all but one char here(built up a tamer /bard on pac then trans to origin)

i do err i mean i used to do a bit of shopping on other shards, buy some gold, shop for what i couldn't find on origin, then trans it all home...not to make a profit mind you... but say i needed some legs w/ xxx ,and xx resist's
at the time no one made armor to sell it was always crud on the vendors( at least imo.. just not what i needed) so much easier than burning 20 kits and getting not 1 useable piece... make a new char, buy a horse ,shop around find what i needed then transfer.

i remember specifically one instance the axe Talon bite before the dmg was scaled back ......bought 3 one for each of my samurai on pac for 10- 50 k.. at the time if you could find one on origin.... they were going for like 500 k .

on a more highly populated shard a 1/3 ring w/ hci , and dci is a bit easier to come by.....same as a ring w 10-15 taming and high lrc..... it's amazing what gets left to rot either on the floor, or in a chest at the bank!!!!
hence the higher cost....

and also at the time there was a certain group who pretty much had a monopoly on power and stat scrolls (not to name name's just glad i don't have to hear about them anymore!!!!) so to get what scroll u needed you had to deal w/ the same 5 a**clowns who killed u and one friend at 3 am saying it's all about the PVP and pay the jacked up price...sorry for the rant!!!

about 4-5 months ago it was hard to find bulk ingots for sale anywhere on origin(believe me i looked).

it's that way in the real world ( i live in a pretty small town pop 3000)
if i go to the grocery store i can spend an arm and a leg.. and come home w/ squat..... but if i go to a bigger city i get a little bit more for my money, and there's a wider variety to choose from.

so basically what i took forever to say was it's a smaller shard ,and thats why the prices seem higher it's a different neighborhood if you want lobster tail in illinois you might be able to find it but it's gonna be more than it is at say some city like say maine.... capiche?

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for one do not understand the motivation of certian individuals on this board that complain about the economics of this shard. If you want to see prices change open a vendor house of your own set your prices to what you believe is right. Don't come on the boards and complain. I play mornings and I wander the streets of luna, shopping in the evenings looking for bargains. My shock is to discover that so many vendors in Luna are empty. This does place a burden on the vendors in Luna who run good vendor houses. Those of which devote a major amount of thier play time to make sure that the people of the shard has the supplies they need to play the game too. I know that Crystal would love to spend more time hunting or doing quests or the dread than to have to spend so much time stocking vendors. So, if you think you have what it takes to keep a vendor house running, more power to you. Lets see some of those vendors on the east side of town come alive again. It competion that rules prices. Remember though that when pricing your items think about somethings 1. How long did it take you to make the item 2. how long did it take to gm your crafting skills 3. How long did it take to gather/find resources to make the item. 4. How much insurance money did you lose while trying get the resources or to get the item you wish to make or sell. 5. What is a fair profit (this is so subjective). 6. Also lets not forget your vendors commission.

Until you make a successfull vendor house of your own. I don't want to see complaints about Crystals

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
recieved a funny PM in light of this conversation.

seems that a vender house in luna didnt like the fact that someone had set up a repair deed vender(s) and where undercutting thier prices on them.

seems that this vender house would come in and buy up all the repair deeds and trash them.

thats funny.

for interest sake i was on Lake Austin today, walked into a luna house there, chalked full of venders.

all of them had names like 'LA helping new / returning players'
and each of them was stuffed full of supplies and armour and rings and such for free or for a couple gold per.

funny enough too, they had butchers war cleavers there for free, hehehehe.

simple fact of the matter is that Origin is probablly the most 'New User Unfriendlly' shard there is so far.
and i can say this with all honestly because ive played on all norther american shards and a fair bunch of oversea ones too boot.

im not saying that Origin is a bad shard, ive had a lot of fun here, good people, good fights, lots of space to place a keep and you can farm any place you want too cause there is no one there to bother ya.
but to start here with nothing / no gold in the bank is not a fun thing.

as i said in my original post, i came into here thinking this shard would be catering to new players more then other for the simple fact that it is the newest and was released to test new patches and pubs before priduction.

dont get mad at me because i point out stuff.
hehehe.

like i said.
i found it strange is all.

C

Crystal Canyon

recieved a funny PM in light of this conversation.

seems that a vender house in luna didnt like the fact that someone had set up a repair deed vender(s) and where undercutting thier prices on them.

seems that this vender house would come in and buy up all the repair deeds and trash them.

thats funny.

for interest sake i was on Lake Austin today, walked into a luna house there, chalked full of venders.

all of them had names like 'LA helping new / returning players'
and each of them was stuffed full of supplies and armour and rings and such for free or for a couple gold per.

funny enough too, they had butchers war cleavers there for free, hehehehe.

simple fact of the matter is that Origin is probablly the most 'New User Unfriendlly' shard there is so far.
and i can say this with all honestly because ive played on all norther american shards and a fair bunch of oversea ones too boot.

im not saying that Origin is a bad shard, ive had a lot of fun here, good people, good fights, lots of space to place a keep and you can farm any place you want too cause there is no one there to bother ya.
but to start here with nothing / no gold in the bank is not a fun thing.

as i said in my original post, i came into here thinking this shard would be catering to new players more then other for the simple fact that it is the newest and was released to test new patches and pubs before priduction.

dont get mad at me because i point out stuff.
hehehe.

like i said.
i found it strange is all.
What I find strange is that your not a NEW player.You claim to be an 11 year vet I believe. So why would you think that just because you want to "farm" every shard, espeically ones with a low population (better chance of mass farming) that people should give you hand outs?

After years of playing this game I would think that you would know that there are sheep farms, cows, and low harm monsters in game that about any new players can kill for resourses to sell. And that is with wearing newbie clothing and using newbie weapons.

I came to his shard the day after it opened up. There were no shard transfers at the time so you had to make new players. I killed sheep for wool and cows for hides, and sold to the NPCs. I did this for days until I had enough skill to make my Scribe.

When I decided to place a house here, I simply took one of my vet rewards and sold it get the gold. My first house was a pad west of town.

I made it just fine and so do other people. The game was set up so that it was possible to create characters and survive until you became proficiant at the game.

Why do you think you derserve all of our hard earned resourses and items just so that you can come here to farm us? I dont get it at all. You want us to put our items on vendors at VP and give you all the items you need to make gold to do what with? Take to another shard once you are bored here or just get enough of what you need at low prices to x-shard to make profit on other shards?

You seem to think that everyone should "give " you everything you want and you also stated you wanted to give things back to our community. I offered you vendor spots to do just that with but for some reason you didnt respond. Were you serious or just trying to make it look like you were so noble so that people would feel like maybe you derserved your "freebies"?

And for the first part of your post...yes this PM you recieved is nothing new to this board, although truth being it was just he opposite of what they told you in the PM. Sorry to admit but we do have Drama Queens on this shard as do all other shards.

So put your actions where your mouth is and come set up all your low cost vendors. I even made sure that there are 5 open vendor spots right on the front of the house just for you! Help our poor uncaring community out!

Lord Cuda

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shopping in Luna is just asking to be gouged when you buy things period. Biggest mistake they made was designing it the way they did. But then again it came with an expansion that certainly did not do Uo any favors.

C

Crystal Canyon

Shopping in Luna is just asking to be gouged when you buy things period. Biggest mistake they made was designing it the way they did. But then again it came with an expansion that certainly did not do Uo any favors.
I have to agree with you to some point Cuda, that with the designers making it so convenient to access multiple NPC shops in one location, that it does give Luna Vendors a sort of advantage over those in out of the way places. Becasue of this, everyone from every shard seems to falsely accuse Luna vendors of being totally out of range on prices compared to those vendors in other locations.

Truth is, in most instances, what has happened is that smaller shops will price items lower than those at larger shops or Luna shops in order to get business. And there is not anything wrong with that at all.

What is wrong though is all the griping it about. The designers also, made it possible for every player to shop at any vendors they choose. No one is told to or made to shop any certain vendors.

To give an example of what I mean, I sell prospector tools for 500 gp each. An "out of the way place" here, sells for 5000 gp each. There are several items that these vendors sell for more than ours and visa versa. We sell some items higher than they do.

I chalk most of the griping up to jealousy. As bad as that sounds, that is what it is. I have seen a few people who "griped" constantly about Luna Prices and about how bad Luna vendors were and how people should not shop here, but only at the "out of the way" vendorhouses. Then, due to luck, they had the opportunity to own and operate a Luna Vendorhouse. Yep, you guessed it, they wasted no time in moving thier vendors to Luna. No complaints about Luna from them now....LOL

Bottom line is, Luna is not going away and there will always be Vendorhouses here and people more than willing to run them. If players are against this, they should simply shop elsewhere. Its that simple. All the griping in the world is not going to make people close thier Luna shops or change thier prices.

I would be willing to bet, that given the chance, most anyone that wanted to do vendoring would take a Luna house in a hearbeat! I know when I had an event to give one away, there were plenty of folks around to participate.

P

Pyrrhus

Ahhh Origin how fares thy vendor prices? Well if we look at other shards on a macro scale prices here are actually errr cheap!

I was wandering around the Luna shops in Atlantic and get this, a vendor there was enterprising enough to try and sell two pcs of logs as fireplace accessories for 40K!

Now if we focus on Origin alone it may seem strange, however I find the prices very well balanced anywhere. I do believe that end users here are all always looking for the best bang for their bucks. In doing so they always find their favorite vendors to serve their needs at any given time.

Some patronize buying from vendors even if the prices are even a bit higher than others why? It's called loyalty a very priceless premium for vendors in this shard.

Everything else is otherwise shall we say "normal" .. let's not jump to conclusions and say "why that vendor is overpricing or underpricing" for that matter because for all we know it's all part of the game we call marketing.

Strategies do apply here for instance who can tell if one runs two vendors one pricing high the other low just to sell the goods eh?

Hehe so I wouldn't worry much on the present state of affairs of commerce in this shard believe me be it is a lot healthier here at home.

So if I may suggest that instead of anybody sour graping we start stretching our legs and try to find our favorite shopping nook and have fun doing so.

They are there.. all you have to do is look!

G

Ghost_Writer

:bdh:
Free market enterprise and all that...
This thread is going nowhere fast...
:bdh: Take the hint.

GW

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh Gw, There you go, hinting at thread closuer. I thought there was a healty dialogue begining here. What are your thoughts on the shard economy? When you play, where do you shop when you need something.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being the new mod on the block, I find some of this discussion most fascinating. But I do see a few areas of nagging and picking that really don't need to be here. Not threatening to close but I am watching closely to see what develops.

Oriana

X

Xotche of Meade

It would have been nice to see the input of more then just the handful of folks that replied about vendors and prices.

I have to agree with Poo to some of the original statements about prices for newcomers. It was very difficult to begin here with nothing, even as a vet player looking for shops or a smith to hammer out a few pieces of armor. Yet, looking back, I believe it was our timing and when peak hours are for this shard.

Several of my guild truly enjoy Origin because of the land, the near empty hunting grounds and ability to place several castles and keeps easily, yet we honestly had to cross-shard with gold and supplies in hand. We packed all our own scrolls and high end armor because we found none.

Your time is what you expire in game play, mine is way too important to stock vendors and keep shops. I commend those folks who have that sort of availability to burn and churn out supplies. Admitting that I am one of them pixel addicts that just 'buy gold' and grab what they need without blinking at prices; is to many vendors, the darkest of plagues. Just being truthful :)

In honesty, many folks on all shards are always trying to help out returning players and newbies. If we (my guild) see someone actually trying to grind or farm gold on low level monsters, we take them hunting and let them have full looting to everything plus go tame a beetle just to haul it to the bank. I think I speak for many who dump 'good items' at the Haven bank. It's not that no one helps, it's just the timing of where folks are and who see's someone in need.

About the sudden increase in tokens...
When everyone was cross shard trading reward points, many of us opened characters on other shards we had no idea of how many tokens, gifts and rewards had accumulated in the banks. I was certainly one of the many who traded them away, perhaps this is why vendors have stock again.

C

Crystal Canyon

:bdh:
Free market enterprise and all that...
This thread is going nowhere fast...
:bdh: Take the hint.

GW
Yeah, your probably right about that Dead Horse. This thread was never about marketing, enterprise or good will on Origin to begin with, so all the explaining and personal opinions means nothing here. Just a waste of more Origin Board space.

G

Ghost_Writer

Oh Gw, There you go, hinting at thread closuer. I thought there was a healty dialogue begining here. What are your thoughts on the shard economy? When you play, where do you shop when you need something.
OK. My rule of thumb for trying to sell anything in UO is to go find that same or similar item in Luna and offer the item for 20 - 25% off at a vendor or shouting at the bank starting at about 10 - 15% off and lowering from there if it doesn't sell. Luna has always been higher priced. However I often pay those higher prices for convenience, I can usually find what I'm looking for.

I believe in getting as much as you can for something. Part of the success of playing this game is having Gold. Get as much as you can. There is no market control in UO, I wish there was, I never know what to try and sell some odd piece of armor, jewelry or weapon for. And I'd die for some scroll prices I've seen on other shards. In fact after 11 years of playing UO I'm starting to consider learning to PvP just to try and get my own... However there is no fair trade pricing in UO. If people are paying the price for your goods then it's not too high.

I started this shard within 5 minutes of it's birth. Two friends and I wanted to start fresh and move our stuff from Napa. Unfortunately both of them were busy with work family and vacations and couldn't play. So it was up to me to set up housing for my 3 accounts and their 2 in 30 days before transfers were scheduled to open. I met a guy hunting in Despise and we formed a guild. By the end of 30 days I had placed a Keep for the guild and gave it to him, 3 18's of my own and 2 for my friends from Napa. All with one character who had 110 swords and tactics by then. Now I just said all that because I have little sympathy for anyone who says 1,000 Gp and crappy skills isn't enough to get started in UO. Especially on a shard like Origin where you can still place a Keep easily. So it's not like you need millions to find a decent house.

On the other hand, if you really need something, post in trade, if someone has it they will make you a decent deal. This is a friendly shard, you'll find most people are willing to give stuff away. The vendor business on Origin is what it is partially because there is not much of a customer base. I've been looking for scrolls, in Luna, I found that over 75% of the vendor space is empty or full of empty vendors. There are only a handful of vendor houses that are even partially stocked. I seriously doubt there is much demand. But when someone new to UO posts in trade about looking for furniture for their new house, there are replies and offers to make them whatever they need, free. When someone posts asking where they can get Beetle there are several tamers who volunteer to go get them one.

If it's part of your chosen role in the game to play a merchant, then you should be a fair honest merchant who Rakes in as much gold as possible, but Honestly. As mentioned I was never good at PvP but I have played since I didn't have a choice. So I made my fortune as a Smith. People on Napa trusted me, they would hand over their best Vanq Weapon or Invulnerable armor for repair without second thought. "Repairs are free, Tips appreciated!" I made a fortune, I had a Tower, an 18 and a 15x15 max storage house on Napa before I moved. But if someone wanted a GM Val suite they paid as much as I could get them to. I only sold ingots if someone was desperate and spamming some ridiculous price at the bank. I sold a guy 10k ingots for 200k once, yeah 20 each for bulk iron ingots.

Crystal, Stop defending yourself. You're a merchant, you're supposed to get rich off other people's work. Ask Walmart. If your goods are selling then I suppose they are priced right.

Anyone who thinks prices are too high should try to market the item cheaper, if it can be done at a profit, you'll make good money doing it. In fact the only thing that will bring down prices in any market is competition. If I was one of the few trusted smiths in town I'd be getting 1 - 5k tips for 5 seconds work like I used to before repair deeds. If someone doesn't start selling scrolls at decent price I'm going to start doing champs myself... Anyone got a couple of +25 scrolls at a decent price?? They've got to be almost throwaways to most of you by now...

Gunner, you better have read this whole thing, you asked for it...

*climbs down from his soapbox*

GW

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, there is no doubt about repairing things. I used to have people seek me out to make armor and do repairs for them, back in the OLD DAYs. I miss that too.

However, I don't hold with giving stuff away to just anyone who asks, I have seen the scam, way to often, where someone runs into that bank and says "I got killed in Fel and they ganked me and stole all my stuff" so everyone helps this guy with new armor and weapons. Then he appears in the bank with the same armor he said he lost. So I am really leary of giving stuff away. Most of these people won't even accept player made armor and weapons. They want you to give away million gp suits and weapons, The other day a guy in the bank asked me if I had any LRC armor peices I said " No, But did you check the vendor house" and he just walked off. I guess he wasn't interested in buying anything really.

I have no problem with negotiating a fair price for anything.

C

Crystal Canyon

Crystal, Stop defending yourself. You're a merchant, you're supposed to get rich off other people's work. Ask Walmart. If your goods are selling then I suppose they are priced right.
GW
LOL...Thats the problem here isnt? For one, I feel like I should defend Luna Vendors and myself...who else is going to when every other day someone is slamming us?:D

But, in all honesty, I do wish to inform everyone here of one thing and that is...none of us vendorhouse people are getting rich running vendors on this small shard. None of us that stock resourses anyway, and very few of those that stock rares because of the price of paying a vendor compared to the population here.

People complain alot about empty vendors, and it is annoying. But does anyone realize that on a shard this small that days can go by without selling any items off of some vendors? But...you are still paying that vendor. That has been the complaint of most people trying to make gold off of vendors here and thus they just let them go.

This is NOT making any of us rich by a long way. Example: We have weapons vendors with some nice weapons, but how many people buy weapons everyday? Not many. So we pay tons of gold to hold them just in case someone needs them. We make nothing off them at all...most of the time we pay the weapon vendors to keep them up. Same for the clothing vendors. We pay the vendor and make nothing off them. In fact we usually go in hole with them..but you never know when someone will want them.

When everyone else is out doing the events, I am usually at the vendorhouse stocking because there is a large demand during events for potions, scrolls, bandies and such that they will use there. this takes alot of time to do. I didnt even get to do the last event at all! So I didnt make all those millions off of the robes and other rare items that the people able to attend were selling.

Kin paint sells in spurts, so we keep it stocked just in case. We pay more to keep that vendor there than we make. You cant sell Spell Books everyday, theres not that many people on the shard...LOL...but they are stocked and paid for everyday.

And the repair deeds everyone throws such a tissy about is a joke. Me or Baciver usually spend an entire day on the weekend doing nothing but buying up blank scrolls to be able to stock those repairs and recalls. And then we make about 50 gold pieces per. Know what both of us together could make if we were out just hunting and farming gold that day instead sitting in mage shops? Which by the way, we both love hunting.

All in all, people who have never run a vendorhouse on a small shard has no idea what it entails or the hours spent to be able to offer useful necessities to the people here so "They" can go out and make the BIg bucks. We dont get rich off of other people work...they get rich off of ours.

Now we can both come off the soap box....:)

P

Pyrrhus

Just hang around Old haven and look for people who go about trying to earn gold by slaying the undead there.This is one clear indication that they are the legitimate newbies ALL of us can help.

Now the beggars need not be accomodated at all only one who is foolhardy would assist them.

So for anyone out there who are trying to use "newbies" as a lame excuse to fault vendor enterprise in Luna then sorry to say it won't work at all.

As I mentioned earlier both Trust and Loyalty plays a big part towards the folks patronage to any given vendor's existence at Origin. Let's all imagine a scenario wherein repairs deeds suddenly disappeared from all vendors? I would suppose all in dire need would be willing to pay 100gp or more to a spammer at the bank right.

Everything is dictated by both Supply and Demand..vending isn't easy people it takes a lot of hard work sacrifice,lost of both time and resources as well. People who are in this trade do it just to be of service to the community.Earning a modest profit is just gravy.

At the end of the day all these hardships are rewarded by the "strange" feeling of accomplishment and purpose as the vendors checks their stock and find out that he sold even just a few items to a weary traveller out there.

It is with great pride to see one's crafted item being used by people in the shard. The fulfillment is immeasurable. These are the things that make the vendors keep going. Keeping long hours in the night on their forge and looms
just for the sake of the unknown enduser.

So it wouldn't really be an effort to greet your friendly vendor from time to time just to say how well they have served you again regardless of their prices because only you can decide whether to patronize them or not.

When I was new and poor a "stranger" approached me and gave me 1M gp! Somebody gave me 10K just to watch her horse, these are the unseen unheralded people in any shard and Origin is never in lack of these angels.

VENDORS? A thankless job it may be however nothing can be nobler..:bowdown:

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh Dear Phyrrus, at last someone who really understands a vendors existance and reason for doing what they do. I am sure your post is dear to Crystals heart. It is nice to see someone else validate her hard work.

L

Lord Drakelord

I normally avoid popping in on thread where I have no Vendors selling items on the shard, when and if events pick up again where Origin is first I shall be out and about scouting for folks on Sonoma. Items I get then I will then be selling at a Luna vendor to keep our charactor here well insured.

However on Sonoma I have a vendor house, [not in Luna] currently its at 23 vendors across four of the five accounts we own. I try very hard to price items to not drive people off but at the same I am trying to make enough gold to keep the vendor paid and still make a little profit on the side.

I also price alot of stuff where new folks can purchase with little gold and not feel like they not charity cases. This is mostly GM tools we make for training, rings, bracelets we fine off PvM or t hunts, leather items that was enhaced, also bows weapons that were also enhaced.

As for those arties we get in Doom, Ilsh, or t hunts I try to sell below or at current market prices, mainly using Luna vendors across other shards to adjust my prices. So far my prices have been far lower then Luna and I get alot of repeat visits from folks just shopping. I also get my fair amout of Luna owners shopping for their homes vendors also, but that is just like the real world, where you buy cheap and sell high to make a profit.

C

Crystal Canyon

I normally avoid popping in on thread where I have no Vendors selling items on the shard, when and if events pick up again where Origin is first I shall be out and about scouting for folks on Sonoma. Items I get then I will then be selling at a Luna vendor to keep our charactor here well insured.

However on Sonoma I have a vendor house, [not in Luna] currently its at 23 vendors across four of the five accounts we own. I try very hard to price items to not drive people off but at the same I am trying to make enough gold to keep the vendor paid and still make a little profit on the side.

I also price alot of stuff where new folks can purchase with little gold and not feel like they not charity cases. This is mostly GM tools we make for training, rings, bracelets we fine off PvM or t hunts, leather items that was enhaced, also bows weapons that were also enhaced.

As for those arties we get in Doom, Ilsh, or t hunts I try to sell below or at current market prices, mainly using Luna vendors across other shards to adjust my prices. So far my prices have been far lower then Luna and I get alot of repeat visits from folks just shopping. I also get my fair amout of Luna owners shopping for their homes vendors also, but that is just like the real world, where you buy cheap and sell high to make a profit.
Oh please do feel welcome to jump in the conversation. I appreciate anyones input on this subject.

It is always a good and noble thing to put some items such as jewels on vendors so that new players can afford them until they make enough to get the good stuff...lol.

We used to have a vendor wth free Items for such folks but I had a couple people who would come and clean it out every night and put the itmes on thier vendors. What we do now is simply keep the items at the vendorhouse and if anyone needs LR items, spellbooks or such, they can come to us and we give them to them. This way at the least the people who actually need them get them.

As I said before, I know some out of the way vendorhouses do price a bit lower as to draw business. And most still use fair pricing doing this. But there are those that will actually price thier items for less than the cost to make them, only for the right to say, "I sell cheaper". This only creates the empty vendor syndrome and vendorhouses that go out of business. Once they figure out that they are selling good but not making any gold doing it they just quit. Not to mention the fact that if they are that cheap, they will sell out fast to either players or other vendorhouse owners and then people will tired quickly of going there only to find empty vendors.

This shard is hard to compare prices to out of the way vendors because there arent that many here. But I still concede that Luna prices here are not out of line or unreasonable. I have also done price checking as you have on other shards but that is even difficult to do as far as rare items. We lack alot of the rarer items that are easily found on other shards.

Good Luck with your vendorhouse!

L

Lord Drakelord

Good Luck with your vendorhouse!
Thank you! Being we not on the beated track in Luna my little gimmick to get people to come visit is to have some of the Magincia rubble on display, plus we have every curse Doom arty, Thanks to 'Wolfie' help here, out for people to see and all the vendors downstairs all have the Staff of Pyros and Melissa's Cloak.

We also have a Trammel set of Treasure hunting locations [Stratics map pin#] in the box downstairs set for anyone. The colored rune books are also special locations and the rune books in the back room are always set for the most current event that is going on.

C

Crystal Canyon

Lord Drakelord, that looks great!

You have a very nice set up there and it is totally geared toward helping the people of your shard. Kudos to you sir!

What shard may I ask is this on? I would surely like to travel there to see it!

L

Lord Drakelord

Lord Drakelord, that looks great!

You have a very nice set up there and it is totally geared toward helping the people of your shard. Kudos to you sir!

What shard may I ask is this on? I would surely like to travel there to see it!
Thank you! Its on Sonoma. If you check with any PAS member they can direct you to it or give you a a rune/gate

A

Asahina Yajinden

i encourage everyone to drop items in haven every couple weeks i drop a few bags of items there.. the new chars always seem to gather like a pack of wild dogs around a fresh killl lol.
makes me feel good, somone getting excited about somthing i would not use
and i remember the days when i first started a talented smitty hooking me up w new armor/ weaps like christmas in july..
it's like my name is earl karma.. ( (r u a carson daily fan too) i by doing this i feel great and i honestly hope it helps a few people..kinda carries over w my char the hooded ronin he always helps out if he can.