• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] I need some tips

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i am new to the high sea fishing and had a few questions:

1.is there ant trick to doing the fishmonger quest,it get boring sailing from port to port 1 quest at time?
2. how and when do i get 110 power scrolls? i am at gm fishing.
3.with the little bait i am getting now shold I use now or wait till I am at a high lvl?
4.with the "point system" i have read mentioned will it hurt if I stone fishing from my tamer to my archer?
I been fishing with my tamer and want to switch to my archer.

It's kind of fun being a returning vet (played from 2003-2010) and feeling like a newb again. :)

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Not that I've discovered - other than obviously you want to visit all the fish mongers in every city so that you have multiple orders going at a given time.
2) Do what I was advised to do - bite the bullet and buy a +10. No sooner did I buy my +10, got to 103 fishing then two quests later I got a +10 as a reward
3) No idea, I've heard bait is severely broken so I'm just stockpiling mine
4) Not sure but I think the quests you get are based on the quests you have turned in, so you might have to start over. But then I've also been told the quests are based on your skill, so ...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i am new to the high sea fishing and had a few questions:

1.is there ant trick to doing the fishmonger quest,it get boring sailing from port to port 1 quest at time?
You do not need to sail up to the port where your destination fishmonger is.
It is good enough that your ship in anywhere in the same sub server. You can then recall to the fishmonger and deliver your order..... On UOStratics there should be a Map showing the boundaries of all subservers in the game.
Exception. For the Floating Docks, since you cannot recall onto it, you will need to sail up to it if you have an order for that port.
Also, you do not have to do quests 1 at a time. You can pick as many as you want and deliver them as you go (there is a max of 8 locations).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. There is a MAJOR shortcut... You only have to be on the SAME SUBSERVER, and don't even have to be anywhere near the port.

• Britain is own its own subserver, but it borders two others
  • Papua is on its own subserver
  • Vesper is on its own subserver, but the Serpent Pillar to Papua (easst of Trinsic) is on that subserver, so you can sto pat the pillar, recall to Vesper and back to get that quest, then use the pillar to get to the Lost lands (then recall to Papua, get/deliver, recall back to boat, then sail to the pillar to leave). It effectively connects to ALL of the quest subervers.
  • Moonglow & the Floating Emporium are on the same subserver.
  • Trinsic, Jhelom & Skara Brae are all on the same subserver. You can end up recalling back and forth between these, filling quests for an hour, without moving you boat, sometimes.
Experienced fishers keep their boats parked off Buc's Den, either on the Trinsic/Britain server line, or on the Trinsic/(Serpent Pillar/Vesper)Buc's Den line, sailing back and forth across these two crossing points (diving into the Lost Lands as necessary), filling and requesting, until all 6-8 quests aboard are to Moonglow and/or the Emporium. Then, sell to the FE, deliver, recall to Moonglow, deliver there, then once you have no quests for those two cities, sail back to the other 4 subservers (6 cities) to get more quests and deliver.

Effectively, you end up with a sailing pattern that resembles a "U" or "v-" with the northwest point being off of Buc's Den towards Britain, and the east end is at the FE (The ONLY port you actually have to sail into to deliver), and whether it looks like a U or V-Minus depends on whether you sail around both Buc's Den & New Haven, or sail between New Haven & New Magincia (as that puts you perfectly lined up with the northernmost boat slips at the FE).

In one of the other posts here, there is a map of the server lines, so you can get a better grasp of this, if you can't see it in your mind or with a mapping program.

Any reputation you have stays with the character, so if you soulstone to a different character, you start from scratch. The number of lines is based on the number of successful quests for each fish type you've done, and the ability to catch Dungeon fish (and get quests that ask for them) kick in around 106. Unfortunately you can't gain skill dungeon fishing, but you can with lobster trapping.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for all the replies it's very helpful info.I had forogtten about the subservers,I guess thats what I get for leaving UO in this first place .

One more question,do I still have to sail to each port to pick up quests or just the same subserver will let me pick them up?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same Subserver is enough to pick up a quest or to deliver it. If you do many quests, you can park a secondary boat with an alternate char of your account near the Sea Emporium. That way you can recall onto that boat and dont need to sail directly to there.
Since no one mentioned it yet. For getting the higher rewards you need to use one of the new ships that came with HS. The classic ones dont have enough room in their hold for the larger and/or multiple orders.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same Subserver is enough to pick up a quest or to deliver it. If you do many quests, you can park a secondary boat with an alternate char of your account near the Sea Emporium. That way you can recall onto that boat and dont need to sail directly to there.
Since no one mentioned it yet. For getting the higher rewards you need to use one of the new ships that came with HS. The classic ones dont have enough room in their hold for the larger and/or multiple orders.
thanks. and I bought the britan ship and using it now,I love the holding capacity.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make sure you know how to refresh the ship, it's an expensive mistake if you don't. You must click on the ropes. I have a macro to recall to the boat (the rune is the default in a book) added to that macro I have put an emote 'must check the ropes before I leave'

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any reputation you have stays with the character, so if you soulstone to a different character, you start from scratch.
Has this been ever officially answered or are we just guessing it ?

I never soulstoned fishing for my fisherman, even though there have been times I would have liked, in the dreaded fear of losing all the reputation with Fishmongers built up which cost me counless time.....

If you have any link to official information or a post about this, can you please give a link ?
Thanks a lot.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Soulstoning it off shouldn't remove it from the original character - it just does not go to the new character. You can't transfer any form of reputation between characters, any more than you can transfer recipes or eaten powerscrolls when you move a crafting skill. The particulars are aspects of the character, not the skill.

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara, you wouldn't happen to have a 110 fishing scroll I can buy or trade on LA do you? or maybe know someone who is willing to sell/trade with me.I still have 2 ancients sos's unfished up and a white net I cna sell for gold or trade for a ps.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Isandro or Jeremy might have one - I think all my 110s are currently combined into a scrollbinder.