• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I need a 101 on Factions

J

jelinidas

Thanks in advance everyone.
I am long time player, returning (again). I have never even got my feet wet with factions. Not really sure what is what. I have started to read up on it but seem to get a lot of conflicting info. Seems to be a important factor with the ongoing storyline.
My question to you...What, where and how? Is there an up to date guide on this anywhere? If you could post a link to current rules It would be great. My biggest fear is the not being able to heal or being healed by a non faction member.
Can someone show me the light? Pros, Cons, up to date info?
Thanks again!

B

Barbosa

Cons first:

1. Can't get rezed by non factions peoples, Anywhere
2. Can't get healed by non faction peoples, Anywhere
3. Status loss which is 33% of your total skills not str, dex, or mana those do not get affected. just skills.
4. Your guild cannot ally a non faction guild unless you know a trick :)
5. Did I say Stat loss :p
6. Constant mouth rot, (Trash Talk, from enemy players, its a givin tho)
7. A few bugs at each base, that some players know about, however SL base is THE! worst.

Pros:

1. You get uber looking bases you get to defend and only Faction players may enter them.
2. You get to govern fel cities if you win them via sigils and buy regs, boards, ingots for really cheap so you can sell to the public and make LOTS of money.
3. You dont go into stat loss in tram if you die unless you wared the opposing faction guild.
4. Faction horses are a rare sight. Red for minax, Green for Shadow Lords, Purple/black for True Britanians, Blue? for Council of Mages.
5. Faction traps are a blast in many ways
6. The ongoing sieges at base entrances is the best pvp in the game, You'll never experience anything better.
7. Faction kill points. The more you get the better ego you have to have to support your uberness.

- Theres more... All add to this please I cant sit here thinking of everything lol

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok first which storyline are you referring too? Moon Glow Event, for the Factions or the True Faction story line?

What type of character would you like to play? What shard do you play on?

And you cant be healed or rezzed by a nonfaction player, but you can heal or rez them. Also if you are killed by an opposing faction, their bar will appear oragne to you, you will going into stat loss of 30 percent of your skills for 20 minutes. The message will be your spirit hath weakened.

Kelmo we sure need our beloved stratics to come back up with the information in stickies. No offense to this poster, but I have ran into many players joining factions for the event and they have no idea of what is going on!

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Barbosa! Your gonna scare em off before they ever start!

There are more reason to play factions then Points!

Trash talking, bah I just laugh at em!
The most fun I have is on my thief, working with the TB theives to steal the sigils out from under Minaxs nose when we are outnumbered! Diversions for the win!
Or Tinkz sneaking up hugging CoCO or Jingles or Danny yelling owie as he is getting hit by an arrow! Heck i even set up a tea party for TB at the SL base!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are three official or semi-official sources of information on factions that you may find useful:

- The Playguide on the www.uo.com website (the official EA site for UO) has a section on factions. Just click the Playguide box on the left side of the screen and then select Factions from the drop-down list. You'll find a nice introductory summary of the lore behind factions, as well as much more if you click on the Topic box at the top of the screen.

- Stratics has a lot of the same information on their site. Go to uo.stratics.com, scroll down the right side of the page in the Essays & Guides box and pick the Factions link.

- The UO Knowledge Base you can access through the www.uo.com site also contains some faction-related information. Click the Support box and select Knowledge Base from the drop down list. Use the Search feature to look for Q&A type articles on various faction-related issues.

When the old Stratics forums come back online, there should be a stickied post at the top of the Sonoma forum that includes a very nice Factions 101 post Poo made a few years ago.

Because being successful in factions depends on teamwork and because everyone participating goes through the same thing upon death (i.e., 20 minutes of reduced skills), you should find that your faction mates may be a little better about cross-healing than you may find elsewhere in the game. Of course, to benefit from this, you must also be willing to extend yourself a bit for others too.

There are, of course, times when faction characters are involved in activities where they aren't surrounded by other characters in the same faction. So what do you do? You play a little bit smarter than you might otherwise, doing things like locating the closest healer NPCs before you dive into a dungeon or making sure the mage characters you play with have runes to your favored hunting spots or runes to healer shops so they can help you avoid a long ghostly walk out of a dungeon.

If your character is not a tamer but owns non-ethy pets, they will inevitably die. If you never give them a command that turns them green (e.g., guard or kill commands), they will still be able to be rezzed by nonfaction tamers. If you forget though and they turn green on you once you are in factions, all is not lost. Another character in factions (any faction will do, even an enemy one) can rez your pet. If the faction you join manages to get control of a town and you think you will be able to kill at least a couple of enemies, ask the Commanding Lord or one of the finance ministers in your faction to put up a horse breeder. Go kill some faction monsters to get some silver and then go buy yourself a war horse. Once it bonds, you will never have to worry again about locating a tamer to rez it because you will be able to do that yourself by using a bandage on it (no veterinary skill required). (You do need to keep getting kill points, however, to be able to ride the war horse. Also, the names of your war horses pop up on the screen in your immediate vicinity when you log on and off. These two reasons make war horses a little bit impractical to own, even just for looks, for thieves and other stealthers.)

So once you get into the faction, what do you do if you're doing it solo? Well, I would recommend you check out the stone in the base first and see who has control of the towns and if any cities are up for grabs at the moment. If yes and they aren't in the base where you are, go check the town sigil posts and the other bases to see what's up. Proceed cautiously and if you do run into folks, you may just want to sit and observe. If you get killed, well all is not lost. Run into the base as a ghost or stick around where the action is and just watch and learn.

If your character has at least 80 stealing skill, try stealing a sigil. You'll have to empty both hands to do it. You'll get a nice message when you're successful and turn a lovely shade of purple. Now run like heck back to your base to place the sigil. You won't be able to teleport, shadow jump, recall, or use a player-cast moongate to get there; however, you can use the regular moongates in Fel. You have 30 minutes to get the sigil to your base before it pops out of your pack and onto the last post where it was located. If you place the sigil within 15 minutes of stealing it and the faction you stole it from is able to get it back within that time frame by killing you or stealing it out of your base, they won't lose the time they already spent corrupting that sigil. Sigils need to corrupt for 10 hours before they can be placed back into town. Corrupted sigils can sit in the base of the faction that corrupted them for 24 hours (I think) before they have to be placed back in the towns. If an enemy grabs them within that time, they have the opportunity to corrupt them for themselves if they can hold them for ten hours.

Once placed back in town, the sigil is not stealable for another three days. During that time, the faction that controls that town can put up ore, lumber, reagent, bottle, or war horse vendors and/or guards in that town. Vendor prices (other than for the horse vendors) can be changed once per day by the finance minister. They can choose whether to set the prices high so no one wants to buy but the vendor makes silver for the town treasury, or set them low and cost the town treasury silver. Sheriffs can place guards of various types (the better ones cost more). If the town treasury is low on funds or empty, the faction commanding lord has the option to transfer silver from the faction treasury into the town. (They can't pull it back out though, once transferred.) The faction treasury piles up silver when the commanding lord sets the tithing rate so that part or all of the silver faction members earn through various activities goes into the faction treasury.

There's more to factions than I've listed just here, but between the resources above and this information, perhaps this is enough to get you and some friends started. I'd recommend that you perhaps spend some time around your faction's base when sigils become stealable and see if you run into someone else from your faction. You may or may not be welcomed with open arms. If you get clobbered, take your lumps, go get a rez and go back. [Whether or not you give a murder count is up to you. I wouldn't, but that's just me.] You won't be in skill loss if someone from your own faction kills you. Stick around and HELP if the enemy shows up.

If you're new to Fel, don't forget that other characters have to push through yours and lose stamina when they do so. So be aware of where you are standing and try not to stand smack dab in the middle of the entrance to the base. Do your best, be a team player and give an assist if you can, don't be cocky if you do get a kill, and don't be offended if a faction mate doesn't take a rez (offer but don't be surprised if it's turned down). You may have to prove yourself a time or two by helping out, but you should eventually make some friends. You may or may not get an offer to join a guild that's in the faction you've joined. If you don't, start your own and maybe down the line ask for an alliance. Be patient with yourself if the PvP aspect of things is new to you and remember that EVERYONE went through the same learning curve and that most PvPers worth their salt will offer tips and pointers if they see that you are at least trying.

I hope this helps, and perhaps a few other people will also jump in here with some advice for you. Welcome to the world of factions, good luck to you, and have fun!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jelinidas, thought of a few more things that might be helpful for you to know:

- Red characters in a faction opposing the one you are in will not show up to you in orange. Neither will red characters in the same faction you're in. They all just show up as red! If red characters show up, you need to mouse over them and see if any faction information shows up. You should also check the Factions pages on the www.uo.com site (under the Community button) and familiarize yourself with the faction guilds on your shard and the guild tags they use. Only guilds with characters that have kill points will show up on those pages though.

- If there are red characters in the same faction with you and you are using a mage character, be aware that your field spells and EVs will do damage to them unless you are both in the same guild or alliance.

- Healing or rezzing a red character in the same faction with you will temporarily make you a criminal. It does wear off, but just be aware of it if you were planning a quick exit or you're near a guard zone.

J

jelinidas

WOW! You all are great! Much reading to do now. Again, a huge thank you for taking the time. Perhaps this is what I need to get my theif/mage out of retirement. Poor fellow is all dusty from sitting idle so long.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought it might help to throw in a few other tidbits of information that are sometimes hard to dig up from other sources. Would appreciate it if anyone else reading this would jump in and correct me if any of this is wrong. Am a wee bit sleepy this morning because I'm running on just a few hours of sleep (fun guarding session last night).

- You need a minimum of 90 tinkering skill in order to be able to make faction trap deeds and trap removal kits. If you fail at making one of them, I'm pretty sure you just lose the ingredients other than the silver.

- You cannot make Remove Trap (sometimes also referred to as Disarm skill) a starting skill on a new character. In order to buy Remove Trap skill training from an NPC, you must have at least 50 Lockpicking skill and 50 Detect Hidden skill. You must have at least 80 Remove Trap skill in order to attempt to remove faction traps. You have to be able to see the traps in order to take them out, so....

- You must have at least 80 Detect Hidden skill in order to reveal faction traps. (Note: I keep thinking you might actually need 90 skill, but can't find anything to confirm. Can't remember why 90 seemed like a magical number for Detect Hidden.)

- You need at least 80 Stealing skill to be able to steal faction sigils off posts/monoliths. You don't need any stealing skill in order to carry them or place them on posts/monoliths. If you're in the process of leaving the faction, you cannot steal or carry a sigil.

T

TexasBlack

:thumbup: Tina I'm working the detect and lockpick skills at every town I can get to. That said at what lvl will I actually be successful at unlocking the bank chests? My skil is 38.5 and I tend to just break the picks at this lvl thou I'm hitting all the provisioners' shops and docks I can find. Also is it possible to use lockpick to get into the brit bank branch in trinisic? :confused: I can't seem to get past that metal door where the music changes to a darker theme. :wall: Well I'm off to train my char I can't wait it'll be hard but I'm looking forward to it. :thumbup:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:thumbup: Tina I'm working the detect and lockpick skills at every town I can get to. That said at what lvl will I actually be successful at unlocking the bank chests? My skil is 38.5 and I tend to just break the picks at this lvl thou I'm hitting all the provisioners' shops and docks I can find. Also is it possible to use lockpick to get into the brit bank branch in trinisic? :confused: I can't seem to get past that metal door where the music changes to a darker theme. :wall: Well I'm off to train my char I can't wait it'll be hard but I'm looking forward to it. :thumbup:
Just keep trying to open the chests and breaking the picks. What you want are gains. The loot at the level you're at is unremarkable and you're not missing much. You may want to try the chests in the northwest corner of the Vesper bank.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the door in the Trinsic bank. Some shards seem to have a door there and others don't. I managed to get through it one time on Legends (in Fel) and to this day still can't figure out how I did it. The chests that spawn in there, though, are ones you won't be able to open until your lockpicking skill hits the low 90s.

T

TexasBlack

:thumbup: Your right about vesper bank it has a fast refresh rate which I like Calibretto told me about it as well I do visit there often. :thumbup:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few other places that are good for lockpicking from about 92 to GM are the spawning chests in Destard, the Yew crypts in Trammel, and on the island in the bottom level of Despise (Trammel) where the ogre lords spawn. I think a lot of people these days skip doing them though because once they hit the low 90s, they just go to Twisted Weald, pester a satyr so they are discorded and their skill level drops, and then work lockpicking with tinker-made boxes.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.uopowergamers.com/e-phazer-removetrap.shtml This is one the guides I used to work this skill. Not only does it work your remove trap you can work tinkering as well.

If you close to you skill cap on your character, I would soul stone everything off, but detect hidden, tinkering, remove trap and lockpicking. I found that I had better gains if I keep my skills at or below 400.