• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I"m so done with the official boards

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Read my goodbye post there if you give a crap, but I'm sick of it. Power tripping moderators don't belong on fan sites and they need to learn that moderating does not mean inserting your own personal opinion on a matter and then locking it because you think you're better than everyone else. You're supposed to MODERATE, not DOMINATE.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I agree completely. What passes for moderators there is just sad. I have tried to explain to them that their PERSONAL opinions on subjects are not valid reasons to lock threads and delete posts. But they are either unwilling, or unable to understand that simple fact. They just suck. I'm sure @Mesanna loves them though. LOL

*waits for Pawain to come insert his inevitable troll of my post*

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
In the words of Fast Eddie Felson in The Color of Money... 'It was over for me , before it ever really got started'

I joined there when they first launched and never made a single post. Once they said that crap about 'infractions on board could mean infraction on account' and then I saw who all would be on the Mod team it put a hard stop on that for me.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Warnings: 3/3 here (lol)

Discussing Moderator Actions
Personal Attacks
Personal Attacks

about the 2 "Personal Attacks" - they are absolutely not true! Obviously being a moderator of a "forum" gives the illusion of having power, but it is only an illusion ... Besides, whoever marked me with these warnings is very active on ICQ ....VERY!!!!!

about "Discussing Moderator Actions", speaks for itself!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup. Y'all are lucky I'm not the moderator are you would be banned immediately Keith.

She is too easy on yall.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was going to reply here but what I was going to say is more of an Unleashed thing, right? So I'm flapping my fingers for a bit anyway.
Sprinkle liberally with "pancake" and "omelet" and "waffle-hat."

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was going to reply here but what I was going to say is more of an Unleashed thing, right? So I'm flapping my fingers for a bit anyway.
Sprinkle liberally with "pancake" and "omelet" and "waffle-hat."
pancake? gnam gnam

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just my 2 cents... I'm not really sure what your whole beef was @GarthGrey aside from they shouldn't have capped the doubloons. I agree with you there btw (or at least make the cap something reasonable) but I'm pretty lost on the rest of your posts that were closed. It seems like your post was all over the place; bringing in Doom / Roof / Blackthorns / Scalis.... ultimately I don't blame the mod for locking because I couldn't really see where it was going aside from doubloons shouldn't have been capped (which Kyronix did answer).

That said, you have to know they are going to lock/close/delete your posts that are just trashing the mods; that's just common sense isnt it?

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never offended anyone I just wrote what I thought and I always will. I don't care what the moderators will do.
@Pawain dont ban me ok? :D

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just my 2 cents... I'm not really sure what your whole beef was.
Ya was it the cap, then he shows he already has not turned in cargo so he was using a self imposed cap.
Or was it the Atlantic prices on rewards. The new stuff is less than a week old. Things always start high. Then he showed he only has 12M gold. Dude has 12M doubloons use em and make some gold. Gold is a lot easier to store.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Those boards are pretty bad.
But what do expect when the name of it is "vanilla forums"

Not like they chose to go with something from the upper echelon of message boards ...
The posts are equally s***

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In the words of Fast Eddie Felson in The Color of Money... 'It was over for me , before it ever really got started'

I joined there when they first launched and never made a single post. Once they said that crap about 'infractions on board could mean infraction on account' and then I saw who all would be on the Mod team it put a hard stop on that for me.
They do not put marks on your account when getting in trouble posting on the boards or Mervyn would not be able to play UO.

The Mods do not have your game account info. Only the site owner does (Broadsword or whoever) and the Mods do not control the site they just moderate it. What Naitch is pancakes about is like telling a Home Depot employee that you do not like the location in the store of the Paint isle.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
They do not put marks on your account when getting in trouble posting on the boards or Mervyn would not be able to play UO.

The Mods do not have your game account info. Only the site owner does (Broadsword or whoever) and the Mods do not control the site they just moderate it. What Naitch is pancakes about is like telling a Home Depot employee that you do not like the location in the store of the Paint isle.
Well... I mean that quote came straight from Mesanna herself just after (and just before) the boards opened.. soooo, take it up with her.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All I can tell ya is dig through some of the live streams from around then. It was an answer she gave during one of those. I ain't about to go searching for it.
Well Mervyn and Mary are still able to play UO. Other banned posters also.

The EA sponsored The Sims Online Forum did give you days off if you got warning on that forum. Then they closed it and Stratics took over.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The mods there act like they run the game. They always lock my threads as they don’t like the fact I challenge the incompetence and laziness of a certain lead Dev. I hate that forum and I hate the stupid novel writer there too. Sadly the devs no longer look here cause they only like the pompom wavers on the forums

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

The EA sponsored The Sims Online Forum did give you days off if you got warning on that forum. Then they closed it and Stratics took over.
I dunno.. maybe she rethought the position and changed it. I mean I have not heard anything from her that says that was the case, but I did take a little while off since then and did not stay up to date.

Also... maybe they have not rose to the level of infraction being great enough to impact game play... she was very vague about what would rise to such a level in the deal I watched. Which I why I have played it the way I have and not ran that risk at all. I would rather not participate in discussions at all than to be involved in one where I am subject to heavy handed modding and run the risk of losing access to my account(s) over it.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

I dunno.. maybe she rethought the position and changed it. I mean I have not heard anything from her that says that was the case, but I did take a little while off since then and did not stay up to date.

Also... maybe they have not rose to the level of infraction being great enough to impact game play... she was very vague about what would rise to such a level in the deal I watched. Which I why I have played it the way I have and not ran that risk at all. I would rather not participate in discussions at all than to be involved in one where I am subject to heavy handed modding and run the risk of losing access to my account(s) over it.

additional thought...

The people you speak about could have not linked all their accounts as EA wanted.. and could have been posting on alt UO accounts which would still give them their main account(s) to play on. That is possible... but I do imagine if that were the case they would be letting us all know about it on these forums as well.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Maybe some constructive feedback instead of the whiney bitchfest would be helpful. You all know certain things will automatically get your threads and posts locked down etc. Starting additional threads when one has been closed is the simplest.

Just in case someone checks in on Stratics and does some looking around.

What would your expectations be for the UO Forums?

1. What level/type of discussions would you want to have?
2. How much Dev interaction?
3. Should there be a new Idea section? What other sections?

Hey currently you are dissatisfied so what would make it better or more useful for you.

Its easy to complain, its a whole lot better to take action and volunteer.

*Stokes his fire and throws another log onto the warm glowing coals. Settles back into his book of Sosarian Lore*

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Good questions:

Prefaced by saying... Devs should be transparent on what actions on the Forum would get your UO Account banned. There should be a well defined line on where that is. As it stands now it is vague as hell, at least in my mind... and I suspect in others minds as well.

1. What level/type of discussions would you want to have? One where any and all dialogue is included in the discussion but most especially the 'con' version. What I have seen (yes, I don't post there but I do read there quite a bit) is those with the 'alternative view' (ie not cheerleading) seem to get shut down rather quickly... rightfully so at times, and wrongfully so at others. Also, never been a fan of 'deleting the thread' deal. Leave them up and point people to the threads where it has already been discussed and decided. Sure, that creates more work for the Mods.. but errrrr, the Mods signed up for work.

2. How much Dev interaction? With it being an Official Forum there should be quite a bit imo, but with the limited number of Devs I realize that would detract them from their normal duties. Which is why in an ideal world there should still be a 'Community Liaison' position that interacts much more than the Devs.

3. Should there be a new Idea section? What other sections? Personally I am one who thinks 'Less is more' when it comes to sections. Too many sections and some things go unnoticed imo.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They do have a Forum Feedback section. It is supposed to be for what the name is.
But most of the posts are game issues that should be posted somewhere else.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Read my goodbye post there if you give a crap, but I'm sick of it. Power tripping moderators don't belong on fan sites and they need to learn that moderating does not mean inserting your own personal opinion on a matter and then locking it because you think you're better than everyone else. You're supposed to MODERATE, not DOMINATE.
This is why I have avoided that forum from day 1... I refuse to post there even though supposedly I'm signed up on it regardless of my desire to be... which honestly irked me... I have no desire to be a part of the stoke their ego club... When they do something worth raving about I'll rave about it... but most of the time what the DEVs do baffles me... and honestly is either a massive let down or it just downright makes me want to scream and quit...

They gave you all flavor of the month dungeon crawl/grind fests and you all rave about how awesome it is... meanwhile they are working on something no one asked for and many have no interest in... meanwhile the rest of the player base and the game suffers from serious issues... most of which are pushed under the carpet never to see the light of day...

I tried... I tried very hard... I even worked with Bleak on some of the issues I have that I think are game-breaking... but he just doesn't seem to understand... when all he really had to do was walk up to a boss corpse at the end of ANY EM Event and try to loot the damn thing in the EC... and it would be more than obvious how broken it is.... but the fixes for such issues are 100x worse than the problem... as they just destroy everything they touch... So I gave up.

Pets are still being lost, vanishing without a trace, scripters are still a plague and seem to go on unchecked, certain people seem to be able to get away with just about anything, vendor search is still a joke, and they have turned a blind eye to the constant spamming of things against their TOS... yet claim to be banning people... what people??

I quit going to EM Events about a year ago because... and no offense to Malachi and Elizabella... I love them... but I was sick of seeing the same groups of multiboxers time and time again... and nothing being done about it... tired of the crashing and lag that happens when they are around multiboxing... tired of not being able to loot anything... and tired of the continuous spamming of RC's and EV's when it's obvious the EMs are trying to speak... and do some RP... making it nearly impossible to follow along with the story... and after all these years... the stories have.... well ... lost a lot due to the seemingly endless "drop" mentality... and those who are there just for that, it has lessened the quality of the events to the point where it's just become:
Meet up talk a wee bit
Gate to this spot fight a few mobs or talk some more
Gate to the next spot ... little more talk little more fight
Gate to the next spot... (If 2 gates open its drop night) if not gate back to the "base" for a brief discussion and go home.
Loot go home after crashing 2 dozen times... and crash as soon as you recall home in case you haven't crashed enough earlier. The events became a boring grind... sure some are fun and interesting... but those were fewer and further between all the time... much of the RP is hurried along to get to the drop...

It's sad... The puzzles, riddles, and things long gone... most of the people there have no idea what is going on and don't even care... they are only there to get the item and sell it... make a buck... Most of them haven't even a clue where they are most of the time... if they had to get there on their own they wouldn't know where to go...

I had high hopes about the Governor system and the meetings with the King but that quickly became obvious that it was basically a useless waste of time...
In the beginning, it was showing such promise... which like most things in UO... quickly died.

And the PEC stuff was great while it lasted... sad that it's gone now.

I barely ever bother logging in anymore... no reason to.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Well... I mean that quote came straight from Mesanna herself just after (and just before) the boards opened.. soooo, take it up with her.
Could you please provide a link to this as this is how the old UOForum worked and was to understand that this was not going to be the same.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Good questions:

Prefaced by saying... Devs should be transparent on what actions on the Forum would get your UO Account banned. There should be a well defined line on where that is. As it stands now it is vague as hell, at least in my mind... and I suspect in others minds as well.

1. What level/type of discussions would you want to have? One where any and all dialogue is included in the discussion but most especially the 'con' version. What I have seen (yes, I don't post there but I do read there quite a bit) is those with the 'alternative view' (ie not cheerleading) seem to get shut down rather quickly... rightfully so at times, and wrongfully so at others. Also, never been a fan of 'deleting the thread' deal. Leave them up and point people to the threads where it has already been discussed and decided. Sure, that creates more work for the Mods.. but errrrr, the Mods signed up for work.

2. How much Dev interaction? With it being an Official Forum there should be quite a bit imo, but with the limited number of Devs I realize that would detract them from their normal duties. Which is why in an ideal world there should still be a 'Community Liaison' position that interacts much more than the Devs.

3. Should there be a new Idea section? What other sections? Personally I am one who thinks 'Less is more' when it comes to sections. Too many sections and some things go unnoticed imo.
Terms of Service

1. Please Treat ALL Posters with Respect and Courtesy.

12 A multi-strike system is in effect for any user failing to fully comply with the rules:
  1. First Offense: A warning is issued.
  2. Second Offense: Suspended from the forum for 24 hours.
  3. Third Offense: Suspended from the forum for 1 week.
  4. Fourth Offense: Permanent ban.
No where on that page does it state anything about your Game Account so you are wrong in that aspect.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Terms of Service

1. Please Treat ALL Posters with Respect and Courtesy.

12 A multi-strike system is in effect for any user failing to fully comply with the rules:
  1. First Offense: A warning is issued.
  2. Second Offense: Suspended from the forum for 24 hours.
  3. Third Offense: Suspended from the forum for 1 week.
  4. Fourth Offense: Permanent ban.
No where on that page does it state anything about your Game Account so you are wrong in that aspect.
This is for the forum.. I have never seen any black and white... cut and dry... criteria for what does or does not impact the UO gameplay account.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
This is for the forum.. I have never seen any black and white... cut and dry... criteria for what does or does not impact the UO gameplay account.
You are stating that your Forum Points go against your Game Account and you can clearly see that your forum point only count against you forum account as per #12, no where does it state that they are also applied to your Game account

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You are stating that your Forum Points go against your Game Account and you can clearly see that your forum point only count against you forum account as per #12, no where does it state that they are also applied to your Game account
No, I was stating:

and I have not heard anything from her to the contrary.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol, liz. Why make a troll account? There isn't anything to defend!!!!
So you have an example of someones behavior on the forums affecting their UO account?

Lets hear it. Oh you don't. Who is the TROLL?

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Huh, new name on this board and the account has 5 posts, get real buttwad.

No one ever implied I was anything more special than troll, what's your superpower?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My last post there probably did seem out of left field, but I was trying to prove a point. That Kyronix doesn't care about the price of the really expensive things, but pulls this "Protect the price of Black market items" out of thin air like that's ever been a needed thing. And the point of the screenshots was to show that I pancake about High Seas because I spend most of my game time there, and the bank balance was to show that UO has never been about gold to me.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My last post there probably did seem out of left field, but I was trying to prove a point. That Kyronix doesn't care about the price of the really expensive things, but pulls this "Protect the price of Black market items" out of thin air like that's ever been a needed thing.
He also said it was supposed to have a cap from the beginning like the Fellowship vendor did. We are lucky it did not and we were able to collect millions of Doubloons. I think he threw it that it would limit the cost of future items to 300k as a buffer to appease.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He also said it was supposed to have a cap from the beginning like the Fellowship vendor did. We are lucky it did not and we were able to collect millions of Doubloons. I think he threw it that it would limit the cost of future items to 300k as a buffer to appease.
It's not a big deal, I"m not sure why I got so bent out of shape about it, but Mariah locking my post sent me over the ether edge :p

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stratics mods (most of them) have been like this for 20 years. Its almost like they recruit robots with zero sense of humor. The kind who get a gun as a security guard and end up shooting someone the first time someone says a ur mom joke to them.

I legit had a fun post today and had to post it 4x because one had an issue with it again and again. Its always been like this. This type of crap is exactly who the majority of people who still play this game do not come here. They say theyve lightened up over the years. Like they had some sort of sensitivity training LOL? Just me sating this is a ban or atleast a warning, more points that dont expire for a year, me possibly being gone, the feeling of "community" for me getting smaller and fewer MITH sightings. But yah this type of moderation continues.

Mithryl Elves

Elves Suck
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe some constructive feedback instead of the whiney bitchfest would be helpful. You all know certain things will automatically get your threads and posts locked down etc. Starting additional threads when one has been closed is the simplest.

Just in case someone checks in on Stratics and does some looking around.

1. What level/type of discussions would you want to have?
2. How much Dev interaction?
3. Should there be a new Idea section? What other sections?

Hey currently you are dissatisfied so what would make it better or more useful for you.

Its easy to complain, its a whole lot better to take action and volunteer.

*Stokes his fire and throws another log onto the warm glowing coals. Settles back into his book of Sosarian Lore*

Nabin, I get it about whiny pancake fests but the overmoderation of stratics forums and very well known across all of UO and has been for a real long time. They legit need sensitivity and sense of humor training.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Lol, liz. Why make a troll account? There isn't anything to defend!!!!
Huh, new name on this board and the account has 5 posts, get real buttwad.

No one ever implied I was anything more special than troll, what's your superpower?
So someone new here doesn't have a right to state their opinion, tell me how many posts/time as a Stratics member do I have to attain to reach your status as an AHole.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Nabin, I get it about whiny pancake fests but the overmoderation of stratics forums and very well known across all of UO and has been for a real long time. They legit need sensitivity and sense of humor training.
They are talking about the uo forums friend not stratics

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's not a big deal, I"m not sure why I got so bent out of shape about it, but Mariah locking my post sent me over the ether edge :p
All good! Again I agree with you that the reason for applying the cap (because it controls the market) is BS but when Kyronix says it was always meant to have one (like fellowship) then it kinda is what it is. I respect the fact you were able to take a step back afterwards.

Cheers! Aka Party on Garth!! :thumbup1:

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
If they ban someone on the official forums, they absolutely SHOULD ban them from playing.

Or what they're saying is, it's okay to upset someone in the game but it's not okay to upset someone on the forums... logic please?

Shows how little they care about the player community.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they ban someone on the official forums, they absolutely SHOULD ban them from playing.

Or what they're saying is, it's okay to upset someone in the game but it's not okay to upset someone on the forums... logic please?

Shows how little they care about the player community.
Not sure you are going to find many others that agree with that, other than me.