• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I just came back to UO after 9 years... but this i dont understand

P

Perrier

So ya, used to play UO way back in the day and was pretty serious about it.

Was thinking about it the other day and decided to look it up after 9 or so years of not playing, decided to give the two week trial period a go and everything is going great with one exception...

what the f*ck is with the CONSTANT lag??

it wasnt this bad ten years ago... not even 1/10 as bad and my connection was far inferior then to the one I have now... not to mention my PC

and yet I cant take 3 steps from a stop without my screen freezing and im lucky if when my screen does freeze after moving maybe 5 screens (at best) that its for less than 5 seconds... and all the while im frozen everybody else around me is still moving... fighting... crafting... w/e.

my latency shows on the server im playing on at 60 ms.

WHY THE HELL CANT I MOVE A SCREEN WITHOUT TOTALLY FREEZING? is this something new?? at first i was playing in KR which i thought was cool with the visuals and the zooming in/out etc. but then someone said my lag was due to KR... so i installed the 2d modainins w/e client and now its just as bad if not worse?

anybody have any hints or should i just not subscribe when my 2 week trial period is over?

ps when the f*ck did they make skill gain so retardedly fast/easy. 3 days almost 3x gm...!?!? it used to take a month just to get 2 gm... gm focus within 24 hours? WTF?

T

Trias

Not sure about the lag. I'm a UK player and so play on Europa and I never have any lag.

Fast skills gains? Heh, try gming Posioning... Ugh

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Was thinking about it the other day and decided to look it up after 9 or so years of not playing, decided to give the two week trial period a go and everything is going great with one exception...

it wasnt this bad ten years ago... not even 1/10 as bad and my connection was far inferior then to the one I have now... not to mention my PC

and yet I cant take 3 steps from a stop without my screen freezing and im lucky if when my screen does freeze after moving maybe 5 screens (at best) that its for less than 5 seconds... and all the while im frozen everybody else around me is still moving... fighting... crafting... w/e.

WHY THE HELL CANT I MOVE A SCREEN WITHOUT TOTALLY FREEZING? is this something new?? at first i was playing in KR which i thought was cool with the visuals and the zooming in/out etc. but then someone said my lag was due to KR... so i installed the 2d modainins w/e client and now its just as bad if not worse?

anybody have any hints or should i just not subscribe when my 2 week trial period is over?

ps when the f*ck did they make skill gain so retardedly fast/easy. 3 days almost 3x gm...!?!? it used to take a month just to get 2 gm... gm focus within 24 hours? WTF?
=
:yell:

But anyways, try posting without the rant in UOHall and you might get people to help you about the lag.

I'm on the west coast and get 0 lag and it runs perfectly smooth. It could be your network or perhaps it's just bad timing at the moment.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No lag here, even with 3-4 computers logged in at once.

S

SUPRsalad

um, lag is NOT an issue for most. The servers are nowhere close to full capacity. We would need more information to help tho,
what server?
what ISP?
actual ping to the server yr playing

also, the ping rate you get at the server login doesn't really mean much,

click 'run' type 'cmd' press enter. type ping (then space, then the name of your server, but ill use pacific for example) so it looks like ping pacific.owo.com it spits out an average, tells packet loss etc.

if not the connection, its yr computer. If you can't play uo with it, you can't play anything with it. sorry.

B

Beer_Cayse

... gm focus within 24 hours? WTF?
It should have taken you less than 12 hours to GM this puppy. My scribe/mage did it in < 8 from zero - three times. Nice way to get a skill GM'd and then you can stone it off to a char that may actually need it. Altho I must say active Med + Focus has amazing Mana Regen rate.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, seriously on the fast skill gain. Why don't you try a REAL skill and see how fast that gains. Focus doesn't count. It's kind of a useless skill unless you really really really want fast stam regen with some mana regen with that.

Try stealing, or better yet as previously suggested, poisoning! lol

R

RichDC

The crafting skills are still a pain as, if your not golem smashing, are the melee ones.

In fact all skills are relativly hard, theyve just made the system more consistent rather than the old power hour grind

B

Barrakketh

WoW your first post and you already have 3 f-bombs your off to a great start , enjoy your time in UO , you'll fit in very well.

B

Beer_Cayse

<snicker> whatta buncha potty-mouths!

OP: That type of trash-talk on the 1st post prolly just lost ya any credibility you might have gotten. But I'm also willing to bet you don't give a d___ either, do you?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh no, he lost his e-cred on a dying forum, whatever shall he do!

Z

Zodiac19

Dude, Do trace route to the server you play. You may have a bad or slow server hop even though it does now show on your overall ping. If you find one that is wacky call your ISP and open a trouble ticket on it. Most ISP's are fairly good at resolving bad hop points if they can.

P

Pindershot

Yup, lag is almost always a route issue. My connection is smoove.

Focus is a funny skill when you first come back because gains are like a scrolling ticker on the left-hand side of your screen.

Try GMing something else. Even Magery, which you use constantly takes a lot longer to GM than you want it to.