• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] I have differently colored "green" seeds which identify themselves.

D

DarkVoid

I have been going through my seed collection lately, and I have:

Green Snake Plant seed. Actual color of seed: bright green.

Green Fern seed. Actual color of seed: dark green.

Green Campion Flowers seed. Actual color of seed: bright green.

Is this normal for green seeds or is this a bug which should be sent in? I do not know what they were harvested from as these could very well be from someone else's collection I found in a house that fell, and I am wondering if these will produce the correct colored seeds if grown, and if they should be considered a rare seed because of the color mismatch to the name.

Are there any other varieties of colored seeds which when harvested from plants come out the wrong color?

I can host a pic of these seeds somewhere if you want to make sure it's not just my monitor playing tricks on me - I'm sure it's not the monitor.

Lady Laurel

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a bunch of orange pampas grass and bulrush seeds that appear bright and only say orange, but when grown they are indeed bright orange. They are old seeds that I had from years ago.

My best guess would be that your green ones will be the same and grow into the color of the seed. I have noticed a few labeling issues with seeds, but they all seem to be reliable with the color of the seed.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had the same thing happen with Snake Plant seeds - where they simply identify as green, but are colored bright green, and grow bright green.

I would agree with Lady Laurel that, in all likelyhood, it's an artifact from the age of the seed, and how they did the identification then vs now.

I'm trying to replicate an *annoyance* (not calling it a bug, yet) where crossing bright green snakes with themselves produce "bright green seeds" with no plant identifier - again, started from old seeds, but this is gen 2 of those oldies... if it happens this time around, I'll bug report it.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I am a complete newbie here but I think I understand this one. If you allow bright green snakeplants to self polinate the seeds will be labled bright green snakeplant seeds but if you cross polinate them with other bright green snakeplants the seeds will be the same color and grow bright green plants but will be labeled green snakeplant seeds. I have only grown 2 batches of seeds but this is my observation on the matter.

WEll I just checked and the seeds from bright green snake plan seeds which I crossed with other bright green snake plants are labeled bright green seed. It was the bright red elephant ear which I crossed with other bright red elephant ear which are labeled red elephant ear but bright colored compared to red elephant ear

K

Kallie Pigeon

Ok thinking about this, I have 6 bright red elephant ear plants and one red elephant ear plant. It's possible that I mistakenly crossed all the bright red elephant ear plants with a normal red elephant ear plant which resulted in the red elephant ear seed label on obviously bright red seeds. The bright green snake plants I crossed between 2 plants which resulted in bright green seed with no id as to what type but it does say bright green. The ones I let self polinate have both correct color and type of plant designations on the seeds. Hmm I think I need to experiment some more since that doesn't make sense that I can see.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok thinking about this, I have 6 bright red elephant ear plants and one red elephant ear plant. It's possible that I mistakenly crossed all the bright red elephant ear plants with a normal red elephant ear plant which resulted in the red elephant ear seed label on obviously bright red seeds. The bright green snake plants I crossed between 2 plants which resulted in bright green seed with no id as to what type but it does say bright green. The ones I let self polinate have both correct color and type of plant designations on the seeds. Hmm I think I need to experiment some more since that doesn't make sense that I can see.
It's not a real issue, aside from the curiosity value. I do 200 Snake Plants at a time, and they are all bright green - takes up an entire floor of a custom, for the most part, but makes organization a lot easier.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is a bug and Kallie is right that it does have something to do whether bright plants self pollinate or are cross pollinated or whether plants are crossed to get bright seeds. To make sure they label correctly you can take a stack of seeds and identify them with poppy dust.