• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

i cant figure this out.....

W

wapabito

ok so many tamers out there and so many templets. i need a few things cleared up.
1. i see people para taming, i have read that para taming lowers the over all stats after the tame is successful. some others say thats a lie. what is it?
2. is peace taming only a benifit to help others tame? i mean if i peace it will take 5 sec to use the tame skil right? so why waste 100+ music and peace when i can just invis.

right now i am at:
120 taming
120 animal lore
120 vet
115 mage

i was thinking about 115 med and 115 eval int and the rest in resisting spells.

i have no clue please throw me a bone here for advice

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The general rule with skills is that they'll drop 10% after taming. If you para the pet during taming, you'll lose an extra 4% from skills. If the pet concerned has no skills over GM, then you're just adding on extra training time. If they do have skills over GM, you're going to lower their skill caps by an unnecessary 4%.

Peace taming can be helpful, but I personally don't use it. Disco is more useful, but it can be slow to train :)

My mage has ended up with hiding, stealth and herding (with eval soulstoned) and I find that much better than peace. It lets me stealth around spawns, herd out a good pet and get right up close to start taming. Then I usually invis tame throughout the process. If I need to heal up, I'll dart to the side holding my hide macro and use hiding to break target. Then stealth back to the beast and start again. I find it a lot more versatile and better for survival than peace, so that's one option.

But a basic mage tamer is still a good template to start with, as you might find experience pulling you down one route or another with your template. Some folks run with spellweaving or necro alongside magery for example. As you've probably noticed, here are a stack of possibilities if you start from a mage tamer template. Which is why quite a few of us are into multiple tamer syndrome in a bad way ;)

Wenchy

O

Old Man of UO

Peace taming can be helpful, but I personally don't use it. Disco is more useful, but it can be slow to train :)...
Two questions:
1) It was my understanding that discording a creature before taming also caused the 4% permanent skill cap loss. Is this not true?

2) Does discording before taming actually make it easier to tame? I am still undecided, and do both.

T

this guy

My mage has ended up with hiding, stealth and herding

Some folks run with spellweaving or necro alongside magery for example. As you've probably noticed, here are a stack of possibilities if you start from a mage tamer template. Which is why quite a few of us are into multiple tamer syndrome in a bad way ;)
I haven't even got a first decent tamer yet and I find that I want to make another already! I'm doing a pretty basic mage/tamer so far but I'm gonna have extra points til I can afford good skill scrolls. But I SO want a necro tamer and a stealth tamer :sad4: I wish I got into taming when I first started around 1998. Then I wouldn't be so so so far behind :bowdown:

Leto

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two questions:
1) It was my understanding that discording a creature before taming also caused the 4% permanent skill cap loss. Is this not true?

2) Does discording before taming actually make it easier to tame? I am still undecided, and do both.
1) Not true.
2) Discordance lowers your target's skills and resistances. While taming the benefits are probably rather marginal but when your target has lower wrestling he will hit you less often and with lower tactics he won't hit as hard.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My bad, I wasn't meaning to disco instead of peace before taming, rather that I think it's a better barding skill to have on a tamer. Sorry, my wording was a bit confusing there ;)

In theory, discoing a pet would lower the strength of it's attack, but I can't factually say that you'll tame it any quicker if it's disco'd. The reason I say that I can'd say for a fact is a bit long winded (even for me!)

When I'm cu sidhe spawning I've noticed that the lower barding difficulty pups can often tame more easily than the high barding ones. When I started taming the lowest barding difficulty pups first out of curiosity, I found that they did seem to tame in fewer attempts. I could be very lucky with the RNG, and I wouldn't state that as fact, but it seems to work that way with my tamers. I get the spawn tamed much faster if I follow that hunch, again could be RNG but it's pretty reliable... I'm just wondering if the reason you don't find any noticeable difference is that disco doesn't pull down the barding difficulty enough to make it stand out.

Following my crazy theory, if you disco a high end beast, chances are he'll have a high barding difficulty and thus be harder to tame (in Wenchy theory terms). You could then tame an un-disco'd average tamer and think "well that wasn't harder". When in fact you maybe got their barding (and taming) difficulties to the same level. Does any of this make sense? LOL. It's all crazy talk because I can't prove anything, but it might explain why you didn't see any easier tames after discoing.

I'm always dubious about mentioning my hunch with the barding difficulty because I've never found anything to verify it, in fact I read something which suggested it couldn't be happening. I don't want anyone thinking a gut feeling is fact y'know?

I haven't heard of pets losing 14% after disco taming, but as they don't lose with peace I wouldn't expect them to drop 14%. A couple of tamers suggested that some pets might be bugged and not recover properly from the discordance, so I wouldn't recommend it on a keeper pet if the skills go above GM. At least the sub GM ones are recoverable.

I think more testing is called for, and I'm also about to start pestering the devs about my theory lol. Curiosity is bugging me now ;)

Wenchy

W

wapabito

ok thanks for the advice now i have another question. i have ready that the only skill that has some sort of mount with a GD (maybe its a movement speed increase) is necro. i just came back to the game so i do not know mych about necro. it there some kind of summoned mount or something? and what does spirit speak do for you with necro? if i went tht route i guess id drop med and eval int for it? still lost on the last coulpe skills.

G

gramarye

ok thanks for the advice now i have another question. i have ready that the only skill that has some sort of mount with a GD (maybe its a movement speed increase) is necro. i just came back to the game so i do not know mych about necro. it there some kind of summoned mount or something? and what does spirit speak do for you with necro? if i went tht route i guess id drop med and eval int for it? still lost on the last coulpe skills.
Not sure quite where you're going with the other question but - spirit speak is to necro what eval int is to magery - without it your necro damage spells are much less effective. Hope that is of some use.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you're possibly thinking about ninjitsu - that gives you animal forms which enable you to move at mounted speed.

Necros can animate dead on equines and get a temporary mount, but I'd have thought that used a control slot.

Bear in mind with ninjitsu however that there was mention of a plan to change it so that it took a control slot (I think) specifically to stop tamers using 5 slots with a greater dragon and being at mounted speed alongside it. The change seemed to vanish from the publish list, but I've not seen any clarification from EA folks regarding why that happened or whether it'll be added in later. So be aware that the it may be changed.

Wenchy

G

gjohnson5

I think you're possibly thinking about ninjitsu - that gives you animal forms which enable you to move at mounted speed.

Necros can animate dead on equines and get a temporary mount, but I'd have thought that used a control slot.

Bear in mind with ninjitsu however that there was mention of a plan to change it so that it took a control slot (I think) specifically to stop tamers using 5 slots with a greater dragon and being at mounted speed alongside it. The change seemed to vanish from the publish list, but I've not seen any clarification from EA folks regarding why that happened or whether it'll be added in later. So be aware that the it may be changed.

Wenchy
I hope not.
Enoughninjitsu nerfs already

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two questions:
2) Discordance lowers your target's skills and resistances. While taming the benefits are probably rather marginal but when your target has lower wrestling he will hit you less often and with lower tactics he won't hit as hard.
I have found that discording a pet does not make it easier to tame, from a success chance perspective. Discord does not effect its minimum taming requirement, which should be the only thing that matters versus your skill. Discord will lower your target's wrestling and tactics, so it will hit you less and do less damage.

My bad, I wasn't meaning to disco instead of peace before taming, rather that I think it's a better barding skill to have on a tamer. Sorry, my wording was a bit confusing there ;)

In theory, discoing a pet would lower the strength of it's attack, but I can't factually say that you'll tame it any quicker if it's disco'd. The reason I say that I can'd say for a fact is a bit long winded (even for me!)
I decided to experiment with discording Cus before taming and did not find any change in successful taming attempts. If anything, discording the Cu prior to tamin just made things worse for me. Since it lowers the target's wrestling, it lowers it's chance to hit. This conversly increases your chance to hit, which for lead taming is bad. I was hitting the Cus more often, which forces you out of the taming attempt. This was noticeable at my 0.0 wrestling (and no mage weapon), since my 120 discord lowers there skills by 28%.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, it will affect their wrestling. I don't use weapons that I'm likely to donk a puppy on the nose with, so I haven't had any noticible trouble with that issue. I guess it will be a problem if you have something like that equipped. Good point ;)

Wenchy

U

uoBuoY

My main reason for Discoing a prospective pet is that when it hits me it hurts a lot less!