• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

I am curious about a particular build concept idea

R

Ravenspyre

I've been sitting back and thinking about this alot actually. I haven't heard many using spellweaving, if at all in a samurai set, but of coruse, becoming a spellweaver in the first place is a very difficult prospect, but these are teh basic ideas I was looking at for a specific spellweaving vampire; Archer/Chivalry/Spellweaving

Now I say an archer because as templates go, Archery gives the most freedom, because you aren't tied to needing parry anymore. That's 100 points free, and chivalry helps in healing. This means with the extra 100+ points you have left you can attempt to build up spellweaving.

The premise is that as an archer you have the range, and with both bushido honoring and enemy of one you can also perform the damage at that range to enemy types (basically sounds like this is the ultimate monster hunter template idea (yea yea, I know there are those vamp/paladin/sammies with skill jewerly)). What I am looking at is a template that doesn't require skill jewelry to succeed and basically has a number of redundancies.

Close Wounds and Cleanse by Fire would basically be the ultimate burst damage and dangerous status effects cleansers with remove curse as well. Gift of Renewal and Confidence would provide healing for the small annoyances.

Consecrate Weapon, to send your attack tot he weakest resist, Immolating Weapon to add extra fire damage ontop of that.

Attune Weapon to reudce damage from enemies by 50%.

Gift of Life for those annoying accidents.

Word of Death when the big monsters are nearly dead.

Arcane Empowerment to increase healing and maybe immolating weapon effectiveness

and if you really need it and think you can handle it, reaper form for increased swing speed and resists.

It's a bizarre thought and concept, I dunno hwo viable it could be, and since test doesn't like to give a flipping spellweaving book to test, jsut curious if anyone has attempted a samurai with spellweaving.

C

Connor_Graham

I have a friend that has a similar setup. The downside to this template is that you have to sacrifice Resist to have SW, so the only real defensive skill an Archer has available to him/her goes away. It's very much viable, but you essentially turn the template into a purely offensive one. Two of the biggest downfalls for this trade off are the lack of ability to reduce Curse and Blood Oath. Curse drops him down 2 or more ticks on his swing speed, and Blood Oath is pretty much instant death as you have to use the slower, harder hitting bows with mana leech in order to maintain enough of a mana pool to be able to cast not only the SW spells, but also the Chiv and Bushido spells too. During any prolonged fight, SW pretty much isn't used until the end for WoD.

R

Ravenspyre

Why sacrifice resist? I was thinking of something like this;

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Chivalry 100
Magic Resist 110
Focus 50
Tactics 100
Spell Weaving 120

Honestly, if I can help it, I try to avoid giving up magic resist, and as anatomy adds little to an actual build and the concept was centered around archery to begin with, why would I need to give up magic resist?

C

Connor_Graham

No Healing or Anatomy? Just the loss of Anatomy alone will limit how much damage you can do, and not having Healing can be VERY dangerous for an Archer, especially for a mana intensive template. 50 Focus won't make up enough mana to be worth using the skill points.

R

Ravenspyre

Mana Leech weapons work wonders in that regard. But anyways. Healing and anatomy is not required, and anatomy doesn't make a very large percentage of the damage. Tactics give smuch more damage, and if you recall I said chivalry is in this build. You seem to be missing several key points of about this entire concept here.

One, healing wise, there are three methods to heal, and heal effectively.

Method one is confidence, as an archer you are constantly at range thus, except int eh case of range attackers, are not subject to being hit as much thus get mroe confidence power back.

Method two is from Close Wounds. Being a monster hunter you will undoubtedly have a very high karma, so this heal will be very effective, especially if you get fast cast and faster cast recovery items.

Method Three, as outlined above, Gift of Renewal is a constant heal over time as long as you keep it renewed.

Finally, for poisons, both Gift of Renewal will attempt to cleanse poisons as well as Cleanse by Fire, which will be easily mitigated by high karma.

Next, as far as damage is concern, both Honor and Enemy of One pretty much fix that gap easily.

I honestly dunno what you missed Connor, but you missed something, considering the proposed build as it stands. Healing and Anatomy both are unnecessarry these days, and without tactics you are stuck using Lightning Strike spam pretty much all the time. I chose archer as a possible avenue for a build like this, because it frees up skill points in not requiring parry.

Since I also didn't post the stats of the build either, it would be exceptionally hard to draw conclusions this build would be mana deprived given all the tools out there, to name a few things.

C

Connor_Graham

"Mana Leech weapons work wonders in that regard."

Not with the recent nerfs to mana leech on bows. The build you're suggesting is going to use a ton of mana. I just don't see it working quite as well as you're thinking it will. I have a very high mana pool for an archer, and unless I'm hitting for 150+ on every single shot, even with a high mana regen suit, I run out of mana consistently just with Chiv and Bushido, and only with a few of the spells from them.

"anatomy doesn't make a very large percentage of the damage."

GM Anatomy is a 100% damage increase. That's a lot of damage you're not going to have, which means a lot of mana that won't be leeched. Anatomy is not part of the 300% DI cap, so there's nowhere else you're going to be able to make up for the loss of this.

"Since I also didn't post the stats of the build either, it would be exceptionally hard to draw conclusions"

It's not hard to determine where most of your stat points are going to be as this is an Archer, and Archer's are pretty much the same stat wise. 125 Dex if you want to have any chance at utilizing mana leech to any kind of effectiveness, and the larger % of the rest going into strength for HP's, with what's left over going to Int.

I just don't see this working quite as well as you think it will. Give it a shot. Maybe you can figure something out. I'm just not seeing where you're thinking you're going to get all the mana you're going to need for all of the casting you're talking about.

S

Sang

Raven,

Mana is your real problem with the build like Connor says. But where's your Sampire in your skills? I actually play a very similar template:

120 Archery
120 Bushido
GM Tact/Med/SPW
50 Necro/SS
70 Chiv

I also run protection b/c without high FC, getting off the WoD is tough. Without mana leech anymore, I had to pickup MED. SPW should be a little higher to get almost no-fail WoD, but dont have the room in my template...yet. One thing I've noticed is my archery dmg is so high that the WoD takes forever to cast and if it fails, I've wasted a ton of time. Curse wep is awesome for the life leech and bonus poison immunity and stam regen. Karma is a bit of a pain to keep positive but with Arcane Empowerment, you can heal for quite a lot.

R

Ravenspyre

I've never had a sampire. Wasn't even making a sampire, and mana has never been an issue for me. I never pick an elf character since mana regen of a human is much better out of the box.

I

imported_GFY

The template your talking used to be called WoD (Word of Death) archers. They were very popular when SW first came out. WoD got nerfed in pvp and the template kinda got pushed to the back burner so to speak. They can be very powerful in PVM but mana management can be a problem.

S

Sang

Actually your original post says "I've been sitting back and thinking about this alot actually. I haven't heard many using spellweaving, if at all in a samurai set, but of coruse, becoming a spellweaver in the first place is a very difficult prospect, but these are teh basic ideas I was looking at for a specific spellweaving vampire; Archer/Chivalry/Spellweaving"

And since u havent played UO in awhile but are asking for advice, dont post such worthless responses to someone's who's actually trying to help you out. If Connor and I both have mana problems with this type of build, being human really doesnt mean much when I'm an elf with GM Med and I still have mana problems. Shows how much you've really tried things out. So good luck, keep playing Test. GG.

R

Ravenspyre

<blockquote><hr>

Actually your original post says "I've been sitting back and thinking about this alot actually. I haven't heard many using spellweaving, if at all in a samurai set, but of coruse, becoming a spellweaver in the first place is a very difficult prospect, but these are teh basic ideas I was looking at for a specific spellweaving vampire; Archer/Chivalry/Spellweaving"

And since u havent played UO in awhile but are asking for advice, dont post such worthless responses to someone's who's actually trying to help you out. If Connor and I both have mana problems with this type of build, being human really doesnt mean much when I'm an elf with GM Med and I still have mana problems. Shows how much you've really tried things out. So good luck, keep playing Test. GG.

[/ QUOTE ]Oh, I'm sorry your lordship, that you think that I magically do not have the gear or the equipment, or the know how, like any other player, how to get by any of those problems on a standard build up. Perhaps, next time, removing foot from mouth syndrome might help you.

S

Smakkatron Jones

I run 2 characters with spellweave and archery, and YES mana is a huge concern for that type of build. Problems you will face often is the simple fact that without the healing skill, you need to stop shooting to heal yourself, and that healing costs mana. You can use confidence, but then you do not get to use weapon specials, or other manuvers, greatly reducing damage output. In addition, Gift of renewal is a very good spell yes, but it has a very long cool down time between casts. So it's only good every once in a while for short durations. Also a real slow cast time. Also keep in mind that bows only give 1/2 the mana and life leech of a melee weapon.
I would suggest you play around with a straight mage/weaver on test center first before comitting to any character builds that use it (to see how it works with a compatible, high mana template) . Alot about spellweaving looks better on paper than it does in practice.

J

jabba123

yeah and gm anatomy doesn't give 100% dam inc...legendary tacts doesn't even do that.

C

Connor_Graham

You're correct about the Anatomy. It's 65% at GM, but Tactics you're incorrect. GM Tactics gives a 150% damage increase to your base damage. This is the formula, copied from Stratics:

FORMULA: % of Base Damage that is Dealt= Tactics + 50

So at 120 Tactics, your damage increase is 170%.

S

sean_lo

I think a good question to ask would be.. what role are you trying to aim for?

Then the next question is.. where do you want him to excel? Doom? Peerless? Casual monsters? Paragons?

G

GuitarStrings129

I actually tried a template very similiar but with wraith form

120 archery
100 weaving
80 resist
100 tactics
80 chiv
60 necro
60 ss
120 bushido

I didnt test it on higher end stuff like para balrons but i did like it.
sadly i had to basically have a mage suit.
Stats were
90 125 40
4/6 used mace n shields RBC stormgrips orny and a ring with 1/3 14hci
It needs more testing though. Bow was borrowed nothing special
1fc 40ssi Xbow with like 30ML and some hci

even at 4/6 spellweaving stuff is a bit slow . took out swing time badly.