• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Announcement Hunger Games UO Style - Upcoming event!

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are in the process of planning/developing an event based on the book “Hunger Games”. I will be completely honest and say that I got the idea from a post in UHall by virtualhabit. I LOVED the books and when I saw the post suggesting it, I was completely intrigued. I showed it to Sangria and she was just as excited.

Although it’s in the planning stages, we have permission from Mesanna to go ahead with it so I wanted to get this post up for a couple of reasons. First, if anyone wants to train a character on Origin to come play for this, we wanted them to have some time to get them worked up. Second, we want to try to cover all the bases so we wanted to give you guys a chance to help make suggestions. NOTE: You can make suggestions, we necessarily take them (depends on logistics, etc.). *winks* So help spread the word. We want this to be a lot of fun (keeping in mind, the first one may have some growing pains). We are aiming for the end of February to hold the event. If everyone enjoys it enough, we may run it on a semi regular basis. The first one will be a trial.

Here’s the rough outline of what we are thinking.

We will make use of an “unused” dungeon in Fel that we have access to. It’s fairly large and spread out over quite an area with some nice twists and turns.

Contestants will be gated into a holding area from various locations around Tram and Fel. The holding location will give us a chance to make sure everyone is completely naked and their backpacks are totally empty. Players are not allowed to bring ANYTHING into the “arena” with them. We think this will give more people an incentive to participate. You truly don’t stand to lose anything.

Once it is verified that everyone is completely clean, contestants will be gated to a “cornucopia” holding area. This area will allow us to control entry to the cornucopia so that everyone starts at the same time, similar to the pedestals in the book. Once the wall drops to the cornucopia, the game has started.

The cornucopia area will contain every supply you could possibly need (this is where we want your help to be sure we cover all the bases). All armor, weapons, spell books, etc. will have timers on them and be cursed. This will allow us to ask for some artifacts and special items while not allowing those items to get out into the general gaming population. There may one or two really really nice goodies in the pile if you have time to survive to find them. There will be armor, supplies and weapons for human and gargoyle, mage and warrior. We will have a system in place that should prevent stealthing in the cornucopia area.

There will be potions of all sorts, bandages, arrows, bolts, apples, grapes, possibly some fish pies. We are considering possibly spawning some regular pets around the area, but maybe not in the cornucopia area. This would give tamers a chance to tame a pet if they wanted to try it but add an element of danger to the game as well since you never know when you might run into a wild dragon or nightmare or something (thanks Meanie Monster for the suggestion).

There will be teleporters at various intervals around the perimeter of the cornucopia that will port contestants to various locations in the dungeon to give them a chance to hide/prepare/equip themselves.

Once a contestant is dead, they must remain so or be teleported out of the dungeon. We will have a chat channel specifically for this event and everyone will be required to be in that channel that participates. Upon death, either the killer or the killed must sound off in chat and one of the event moderators will come and transport the ghost to a holding area that will have two exit gates, one to a Fel location and one to a Tram location. At that point, the ghost will have the opportunity to rez and leave or stay dead and continue watching the games.

No observers will be allowed in the area unless they are ghosts. Anyone caught rezzing a ghost or in any other way interfering with the playing field will be disqualified and immediately teleported out of the dungeon. If anyone wants to come and watch but not participate, we will have a small holding area for them but the same rules apply as to being snooped and carrying NOTHING into the arena. Once the game kicks off, they are welcome to die and watch in ghost form. Hint: if you run UOAssist, you can choose to view yourself as a chicken and see everything in color while still dead.

We had a request on Origin that Sangria and I participate as well. We are trying to figure that out and see if we can get another EM or two over to referee. No promises but we’ll try to work something out.

My next post will be an equipment list. Feel free to make suggestions on items that would be needed or desired.

Last edited:

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Supplies to be provided by EM's for UO Hunger Games (work in progress):

Enchanted apples
Grapes of Wrath
Greater Cure potion
Greater Heal potion
Refresh potion
Explosion potion
Deadly Poison potion
Shatter potion
Conflag potion
Trapped Boxes
Bottles
Arrows
Bolts
Bandages
Orange Petals
Chiv Book
Full Spellweaving Book
Full Spell Book
Full Bushido Book
Full Ninjitsu Book
Full Necro Book
Full Mysticism Book
Bag of mage regs
Bag of necro regs
Bag of mysticism regs
Bows
Cyclones
Boomerangs
Crossbows
Katanas
Kryss
Daggers
Clubs
Musical Instruments
Hammers

Jewelry and armor for mages and warriors, human and gargoyle. Mix of artifact quality, crafted armor and some special pieces scattered in.

Last edited:

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you copied and pasted cant read
Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing (or not seeing). I've tried several browsers and had multiple people try without issue so I need to see what you are seeing if possible.

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think hat he is saying is sice it was typed in a word document and was cut and pasted the text is black and hard to read. I do this at times but right before I "cut" the text I turn it white and then it shows up easier to read on the board.

This sounds like a great idea!!!

How many players at once and is there a limit? Or will there be several games if a bunch want to play?

BG

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about now? I changed the font to blue (I think). It looks fine on my screen. How annoying! :(

Right now we are planning for no limit for the number of players. If we get a huge turnout or if we get enough responses that it looks like we'll get a huge turnout, we'll do multiple runs. Depending on the number, I could see us doing two runs and taking the top five or ten out of each and then having a contest with those. Any number of possibilities. I'd just like to get an idea of how many are really interested and then we can figure out how many runs we need to have. :)

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
BEEES a bit easier, but whites would be best. no fancy schamnzy colors.wots about instarments?
ozog

Last edited:

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BEEES a bit easier, but whites would be best. no fancy schamnzy colors.wots about instarments?
ozog
Which style are you using for the forum? I'm using the Default UO Classic and if I set it the text to white, I can barely read it. I need to find a color that works for all themes.

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Its perfect now!!! I will try this out for sure.

Two questions-- About how many players each round (or maybe everyone at once which will answer my second question) and if its going to be 10 or so at a time is there a way you can try to randomize so 4 people from the same guild do not get into the field at the same time. I am fine with knowing a couple people from the same guild may get in there together and I think its cool if some people randomly team up during the event. But if the even starts with several from the same guild at once it will not have the same flavor.

BG

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its perfect now!!! I will try this out for sure.

Two questions-- About how many players each round (or maybe everyone at once which will answer my second question) and if its going to be 10 or so at a time is there a way you can try to randomize so 4 people from the same guild do not get into the field at the same time. I am fine with knowing a couple people from the same guild may get in there together and I think its cool if some people randomly team up during the event. But if the even starts with several from the same guild at once it will not have the same flavor.

BG
Ideally, we are thinking we'd like to see 20 or so to start. It really depends on the interest. We are considering asking for sign ups prior so we can get an accurate gauge of interest. I understand what you are saying about the guildies. Unfortunately, I don't know how we could control that other than the "honor system". But we will definitely think about it.

Thanks for bringing it up. That's exactly the kind of feedback we are looking for. What are we forgetting to think about?

Blood Ghoul

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I have a question--- And also, the dungeon crawl yesterday was a ton of fun "We Shall Lead The Way"... Still Not as good as "The Bunnies Lead The Way"

In the cornucopia area will the supplies be basically unlimited? That will change the way we all design our characters. In the book/movie there were not unlimited amounts of gear (such as I do not think there was a bow for for every contestant). I think there should be a low supply of everything but alot of different things. My suggestion would be is 20 players start there would only be something like 5 magery spell books, and 5 throwing weapons, ad so on.

BG

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You guys absolutely killed us with some of the phrases you were coming up with! LOL

Right now we are planning to have enough equipment for everyone. HOWEVER *underline/bold/italics/fireworks* that doesn't mean all of the equipment will necessarily be GOOD. *grins* For example, there might be 15 bows, most of which could be purchased from your local neighborhood NPC and then, say two, that are of the OMG I can kill anything variety. Since we can put timers and curse on the items, we can mix up the variety. Also, we would have stacks of regs and pots but some of the stacks might only be three, some might be 50. Are you fast enough to grab the good stuff? Maybe we'll have 15 spell books but some of them only have half the spells. Mix of really good stuff and "eh" stuff just to mix it up.

We are testing the area and layouts to see what works best and how far we can spread stuff out. We don't want to clump all the best stuff together and we don't want to clump all the stuff for a certain template together.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds great, although not my time zone and due to the lag Europe-Origin out of competition range.
About resurrection - what about using the self resurrect feature from virtue?

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, no self rez. Once you are dead, you are out.

Also, we have looked at the calendar and set the event date tentatively for March 2nd. That's going to be our goal date. Will post definite as soon as we know for sure but we are aiming for the 2nd.

EMFaineMorgan

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, no self rez. Once you are dead, you are out.

Also, we have looked at the calendar and set the event date tentatively for March 2nd. That's going to be our goal date. Will post definite as soon as we know for sure but we are aiming for the 2nd.
Due to some real life circumstances, we need to push this back into March a bit further. We will post the exact date once we clear a few things. Sorry to delay it. I can't wait to see it!

EM Sangria

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm making up a list of armor and weapons we want to include and have gotten overwhelmed. *remembers the days when your choices were, plate, chain, studded leather and leather*

So question, what's your favorite three pieces of armor/weapons? No guarantees you'll see them, just want to make sure we don't forget something.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I'll probably be using my archer...so for me anyway a bow, preferably a composite...I always wear barbed leather armor...I'm still noob when it comes to imbued stuff and...all that :/ lol so I'm still wearin old school armor