• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Human vs. Elf vs. Gargoyle

What say you?

• Total voters

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That's the thing, they each feed each other, so it's not a "pick one" scenario. My combat character supplies the crafter with "junk loot' that becomes resources for BOD filling, crafting and imbuing, the resource gatherer provides the resources for the crafter and the crafter makes, imbues, and repairs the items for the combat and resource gatherer.

While I know that a garg makes the best crafter, my elf character which is my main miner/smith is the one getting imbuing (hopefully for a title reference when I finish the skill) which wouldn't work on a garg... so I'm sacrificing a little "success rate" in the process.

Answer remains the same though as I tend to not limit myself to one activity in UO.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Elf Elf Elf Elf Elf

I was going to ask if they were ever planning to add other races such as dwarfs or gnomes but seeing what they did to the gargoyle race has me rethinking and retracting that question. Those poor little people wouldn't have a chance!

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That's the thing, they each feed each other, so it's not a "pick one" scenario. My combat character supplies the crafter with "junk loot' that becomes resources for BOD filling, crafting and imbuing, the resource gatherer provides the resources for the crafter and the crafter makes, imbues, and repairs the items for the combat and resource gatherer.

While I know that a garg makes the best crafter, my elf character which is my main miner/smith is the one getting imbuing (hopefully for a title reference when I finish the skill) which wouldn't work on a garg... so I'm sacrificing a little "success rate" in the process.

Answer remains the same though as I tend to not limit myself to one activity in UO.
In other words, you're a numbers guy not a "go with your gut" guy.

Gotcha.

:grouphug:

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*takes a census*

8 humans
15 elves
2 gargoyles

hmm ... looks like I'll need to ask for six elvish volunteers and scratch my brain for some good fiction.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
15 humans, 3 elves and zero gargoyles here.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only one gargoyle for me, Elf is still the ultimate race imo.

S

Splup

Gargoyle Crafter
Elf Resource Gatherer
Human Combat

IMO of course.
The truth.

Who says Elf is the best race?

I mean JOAT beats Elfs +mana and nightsight on almost every char class.

JOAT=Minimun cost specials for warriors, 20 medit 20 focus. Also 20 hiding, poisoning, tracking etc can be usefull. Also if you need extra mana in combat, with 20 necromancy you can stay in wraith form without items, and having also 20 SS makes you leech ok.

For mages JOAT gives better poisons/poison fields, 20 focus, also tracking and hiding. Also 20 necro+SS for staying in wraithform can be huge advantage sometimes. Also when casting RA+MR on char with no inscription that 20 scribe gives you couple extra resist points.

Edit: My miner is elf thou for obvious reasons.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My main shard:
4 human, 1 elf (tamer)

My secondary shard:
4 human, 1 elf (sampire)

My third shard:
2 human, 1 elf (sampire)

I'll have to go with human.

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have 4 Humans (Swordsman,Archer,ProvoMage,Miner/crafter)
2 Elves (Tamer, Miner/crafter)
1 Gargoyle (Imbuer/myst/mage)

Other account all Humans for different things to play around with

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
4 humans, 10 or 12 elves, 0 gargoyles.

R

Rocklin

I don't understand. If humans get the 5% success rate, and a larger carrying capacity for mining/lumberjacking, then why are people saying gargoyles are the best crafters?

C

Connor_Graham

I don't understand. If humans get the 5% success rate, and a larger carrying capacity for mining/lumberjacking, then why are people saying gargoyles are the best crafters?
Gargs get a bonus to enhancing as well as Imbuing.

M

mjolnir131

what 5% are you talking about? JoT? it's a non stackable use of skills that are below 20.

with a fire beetle carrying weight is not really an issue and for wood your talking less than a trees worth difference in weight packy carries most of it. So more special stuff for the win

and IMNSHO ..i have to work way harder with my human PvP than my elf well not way harder but fairly harder anyways

B

BadManiac

The poll should be Humans vs Gargoyles, neon elves should have stayed the heck away form my game!

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what 5% are you talking about? JoT? it's a non stackable use of skills that are below 20.

with a fire beetle carrying weight is not really an issue and for wood your talking less than a trees worth difference in weight packy carries most of it. So more special stuff for the win

and IMNSHO ..i have to work way harder with my human PvP than my elf well not way harder but fairly harder anyways
imbuing and enhancing.

BTW...did you ever bother to read the specifics before your post...as per uo.com? no...thought not.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have about 159 "trained" characters. Their race breakdown is as follows:

84 Elves
73 Humans
2 Gargoyle

In general, I usually select the race for a character as follows:

Tamers - Any new ones I make are human because of their greater strength, unless they will have hiding/stealthing. If they will have hiding/stealth, I make them elves. I have some tamers that have no hiding/stealth who are elves but that I'd like to turn back into humans. However, they've used expensive Lady Mel hair dye that was a gift from a guildmate, so I hesitate to lose the hair dye in the conversion process.

Dexxers/Archers - The majority are elves because of the additional mana. Thinking about switching some to human though for the additional strength.

Thieves/Stealthers - Almost 100% elves because elves are supposed to be more difficult to track and because they have a higher chance to passively detect hidden monsters/characters.

Mages - Mostly elves.

Bards - Half are elves, half are human. Thinking about converting the elves to human so they can carry more loot.

Crafters - Always human, except for two gargoyles, one of whom is brand new. Wish I'd waited on converting the other one.

Lumberjack/Miner - Most are human. Turned a few into elves to see if it made a difference with resource gathering. Still can't decide so will probably do the quest to turn the elves into humans if I ever get motivated enough so they can carry more.

In general, I prefer the human racial characteristics. That "strong back" and JoAT trump many many things. I'm also pretty peeved about how the elves look at the moment because most of mine are wearing dorky headgear. Guess I need to spend some time finding them new hats or dropping hooded robes over 'em to hide the ugliness.

Black Majick

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every char I have atm is human...will have a gargoyle soon though for imbeing and resource gatherer will be an elf. So...atm...

11 Humans, nothing else...

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Always Been human always will be. I've experimented with elves and gargs mostly on test some on my real shard at the time.

I transferred two characters from my old shard to my new one and I do not have the 7th character slot.

So my current main shard- 6 humans all of them built to usable condition in what they are meant for

Old main shard I played for 7 and a half years - 4 Humans 3 built one was my mule in progress at the time that I never got very high.

And 2 humans I play occasionally on another shard one somewhat built the other pretty much just stealths around for giggles.

I also have a character on two other shards for certain occasions on them also human.

This count does not count any character that has less than 80 skill in at least two of there skills in there template not counting meditation, parry, resist spells, focus, and any other random easy skill to raise without the effort of getting the items.

Also, if you think elves are better at pvp just because 10 mana you are sadly mistaken.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All my char are human but one elf so he can ride a cu dog.

S

Sabbath

I prefer Elf because nearly all of my characters are magic users and I just can't live without the MANA bonus. Plus I love the little Human to Elf quest and mine are ALL converted Humans :D

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lumberjack/Miner - Most are human. Turned a few into elves to see if it made a difference with resource gathering. Still can't decide so will probably do the quest to turn the elves into humans if I ever get motivated enough so they can carry more.
I tested this with my resource gatherers and there is a definite difference. I score way more gems on the elves then I ever did as a human. Just thought I would let you know.

ACB1961

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have about 159 "trained" characters. Their race breakdown is as follows:

84 Elves
73 Humans
2 Gargoyle

In general, I usually select the race for a character as follows:

Tamers - Any new ones I make are human because of their greater strength, unless they will have hiding/stealthing. If they will have hiding/stealth, I make them elves. I have some tamers that have no hiding/stealth who are elves but that I'd like to turn back into humans. However, they've used expensive Lady Mel hair dye that was a gift from a guildmate, so I hesitate to lose the hair dye in the conversion process.

Dexxers/Archers - The majority are elves because of the additional mana. Thinking about switching some to human though for the additional strength.

Thieves/Stealthers - Almost 100% elves because elves are supposed to be more difficult to track and because they have a higher chance to passively detect hidden monsters/characters.

Mages - Mostly elves.

Bards - Half are elves, half are human. Thinking about converting the elves to human so they can carry more loot.

Crafters - Always human, except for two gargoyles, one of whom is brand new. Wish I'd waited on converting the other one.

In general, I prefer the human racial characteristics. That "strong back" and JoAT trump many many things. I'm also pretty peeved about how the elves look at the moment because most of mine are wearing dorky headgear. Guess I need to spend some time finding them new hats or dropping hooded robes over 'em to hide the ugliness.
Wow Tina.

I mean what else can you say. Wow again.

I've got 27 chars that are very nice. 26 Humans, 1 Gargoyle.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 48 chars and I thought I was bad lol Tina has us all beat! We are such addicts :)

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 48 chars and I thought I was bad lol Tina has us all beat! We are such addicts :)
I have four... one human thief, one human mage, one human crafter, (all of which I no longer play) and another thief on Siege. I also have a house and recruitment stone holding account.

With 48+ character, I bet you're islands unto yourselves. No wonder you guys refuse to move to Siege.

:grouphug:

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i like the gargoyle but the problem is they dont have the arties the other races do so they are at a great disadvantage but i still like the gargoyle

M

maroite

Tina's number of chars is overwhelming, but... its not unbelievable as we don't know what shards those are on.

15 US shards, not including Siege. 15 x 7 chars per shard, is 100 Chars. Throw in another account, and it would be easy to get 200 chars.

Throw in having chars on the asian shards, and you could possibly get close to 200 chars on one account. :p

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina's number of chars is overwhelming, but... its not unbelievable as we don't know what shards those are on.

15 US shards, not including Siege. 15 x 7 chars per shard, is 100 Chars. Throw in another account, and it would be easy to get 200 chars.

Throw in having chars on the asian shards, and you could possibly get close to 200 chars on one account. :p
True. I have 7 accounts and characters on MANY shards (for xtrading ya know) but I truly play one shard only.

M

Mairut

What say you?

:fight:
1st Humans.
2nd Gargoyles
3rd Elves
I strongly dislike elves with that dumb auto-reveal stuff they have. It would make it hard for anyone working with me for the same reasons...

I've heard about flapping wings getting in the way of my gargish friends, and since it's hard for me when they have wings open to hand things to them...I decided against this too.

Anyways...Yea, I especially don't like elves either for myself or anyone else. :p

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I say

Elf
Human
Gargoyle

Reasoning

Elf:
Mana bonus outweighs JoAT for spell casters, in PvM this allows more specials, especially when running a high leech weapon without needing Wraith Form so you can do so mounted.
More Special Resources, I'll take 5 extra Val ingots vs Iron over the additional weight especially with Fire Beetles in the mix and Bags of Sending not using charges based on weight anymore.
Passive Reveal, Excellent when on a PvP toon, the JoAT bonus for humans, while nice isn't a major factor imho when running good gear.
Harder to Track, I play a Thief a lot of the time I don't want to be tracked.
Nightsight, That's one property I never have to build in and less weight to carry in the form of Pots, especially on toons without magery.

Human:
JoAt, Great Bonus though not overbearing at times it comes in handy.
Strong Back, More Carry Capacity = More loot nuff said.
All the Elf Only Gear is a major drawback, some of it is excellent.

Gargoyle:
Imbuing Bonus is nice, it's small but difference between success and failure can be a matter of small degrees.
Flying, very nice perk especially when exploring Ter Mur and the Abyss. Also having an innate ability with low level Mysticism spells is very nice, the equivalent of JoAT of that skill yielding Healing Stones which are like a Free unlimited supply of Heal Pots.
Lack of equivalent armor to humans and elves especially in the artifact arena makes them the lowest on the totem for PvP or PvM.